Progress Reviews | Glassdoor

1. Featured Review

"Glad to be here!"

Current Employee - Contract Renewal Specialist
    Current Employee - Contract Renewal Specialist

I have been working at Progress full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Work/Life Balance
    -Award Incentives
    -Company Lunches
    -On Premise Gym
    -Casual Attire

There is always an opportunity to expand knowledge on products and the industry. Stay committed to getting things done every day, and your hard work will be rewarded. Managers take notice of goal achievement, and offer valuable feedback to improve performance. It's a team environment. When hurdles arise, the issues are addressed in order to move forward. I enjoy coming to work everyday, and appreciate and respect my colleagues.

Cons

Changes in general processes and systems. If you're prepared and open to change, then this should be a non-issue. Take it as an opportunity to expand your knowledge.

Mar 3, 2017 – Talent Acquisition

Thanks for the review and for offering the great insight into our culture and work environment. Together, we approach every day as a challenge to meet expectations, and then drive ourselves even... More

"Exciting place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Progress full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company creates tech for cutting edge web/mobile dev

Cons

There can be some incertitude at times

Advice to Management

Continue with the positive changes that they have made since new CEO

"IT Management"

I worked at Progress full-time

Pros

Was once a great place to work. It used to be a focused company with a good product that they continuously made better. Growth opened up opportunities. People worked together with a common purpose.

Cons

Revenue problems put pressure everywhere. Outsourcing, unrealistic expectations and constant revolving door of executives with "new" ideas. First 25 years of the company had one branding the next 5 years had 3 new branding initiatives along with logo just because of change in executive leadership.

They tried to buy companies but every acquisition failed, some more spectacularly than others. Lay offs year after year.

Advice to Management

Focus. Stop pursuing every new shinny thing that has the buzzwords.
    Web Services, ESB, ... then
    Responsive Process Management then
    Digital transformation then
    Machine learning then...
    more to come

"Mixed Feelings on Progress Software"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Progress (More than 10 years)

Pros

Overall good benefits and perks. Really good team members to work with and for. Good work life balance and relaxed work environment.

Cons

This is my second attempt to write a review - first one got pulled - I said too much.

While the benefits and work life are satisfactory, and the company says all the right things in terms of its future and the people, their actions tell a different story.

I cant go into details or the review will get yanked again, but I question the long term future of this companies success as measured from the employee perspective. They have not done a good job of driving to a vision or taking the steps needed to reassure the employees that they value them. Again, its not what they say, its what they do.

Only a couple years from retirement so I'm just hoping to be around until then.

Advice to Management

If you really mean what you say then you need to be much more open with the employees, and really prove to them you value them.

"Seriously degrading work environment and misguided management."

Current Employee - Sales in New Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Sales in New Bedford, MA

I have been working at Progress full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart and talented individuals in most departments. Products offered are great for most part but losing competitive edge quickly. Design opportunity exists but lack of appropriate investment to make those groups stellar is evident.

Cons

Terrible Senior management guidance, lack of caring for employee experience and continuity, Corporate run like mom & pop company circa 1980s, oblivious to rampant department spend and inconsistent systems and infrastructure. Multiple changes in Senior Management (i.e. Multiple CEOs, CFO, CIO, etc.) drastically affecting employee morale and direction. January and December RIFs too severe and altering culture significantly. Telerik entity still not contributing enough to offset their significant drain of spend and resource demand. Other recent entities also have lackluster performance.

Advice to Management

Attempts to turn Company around truly not working; given consistent Senior Management turnover and misguided entity contributions. Praesidium suggestions seem far superior to the games enacted recently in attempt to stabilize new sales, existing business lines, and growth of company.

"Sales"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Boston, MA

I worked at Progress full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Terrific team of sales professionals

Cons

Trying to sell too many old products

Advice to Management

Focus on a few good products

Nov 22, 2017 – Human Capital

Thank you for your review and for being a member of our sales team. We regularly review our product offerings to ensure that we continue to sell products that are meaningful to our customers and... More

"Not the great company to work for that it used to be"

I have been working at Progress full-time

Pros

There are still some good things going on

Cons

The company clearly no longer values long-term employees. They have removed incentives for longevity. The IT group has become a joke. It has been cut to the level below where it is effective, sort of a reverse Peter Principle. They don't or can't respond to needs in any kind of useful timeframe, so people trying to do their work are limited and frustrated.

Oct 24, 2017 – Human Capital

Thanks for your review. We truly value long-term employees and we encourage you to share your concerns with your Human Capital Business Partner. As part of our company maxims, we continually review... More

"Thoughts from a long-time employee"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Bedford, MA

I have been working at Progress full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- good group of people to work with
    - flexible working hours and ability to work from home
    - excellent employee stock purchase plan (15% discount from lowest price in 27 month offering period)
    - company stock has been relatively stable
    - new management with new ideas on making the company successful
    - new CEO seems very direct and open to answering questions.

Cons

- did have a large reduction-in-force back in January under new management team. Was sad to lose some good colleagues but hopefully the cost reductions will put us in a better position to succeed

Advice to Management

Ultimately, the shareholders/employees want the company to do well and grow. The previous management was not successful so it was time for a new team to try. I think there are some good ideas and I hope that we're successful.

Aug 21, 2017 – Human Capital

Wow - more than 10 years part of the team. You really know the ins and outs here at Progress! We are so happy to have you on board. It's employees, like you, that make Progress such a special... More

9. "Decent place to work"

I worked at Progress full-time

Pros

Most benefits and salary were good.

Cons

Several top management changes over a few years, but it may be stable now.

Aug 21, 2017 – Human Capital

We are glad that you enjoyed your time at Progress!

"Dysfunctional Strategy, Leadership Clueless"

I worked at Progress full-time

Pros

free coffee, some good people.

Cons

where to start....I would avoid this company. Most employees are looking to get out due to the craziness and (lack of) strategy

Advice to Management

pick a strategy and stick to it. Stop putting people that continuously fail in leadership roles.

Aug 21, 2017 – Human Capital

Thanks for your review. Earlier this year, we did announce a new strategy regarding the direction of our business. This strategy resulted from an in-depth and intense examination of our products... More