Progress Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 23, 2017

1. Featured Interview

Customer Advocate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Progress (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview process was very relaxed, I applied for the position, the next day I had a phone screen interview with my Recruiter which lasted 30minutes. That same day after the phone screen, I then made it to the next round speaking with one of the managers over the phone for 30minutes which went really well. The next step, my recruiter reached out to me and told me that I was going to the next round, which was the on-site interview. The on-site interview lasted about an hour. It went extremely well, they asked about my background, and also things I like to do outside of work. Afterwards, I followed up with my recruiter after the interview. Then I received the offer. Overall, the process was great, and my recruiter stayed in contact with me every step of the way

Interview Questions

Progress Response

Nov 16, 2016 – Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the review. We are happy to hear that you had a great experience meeting with the team!

Contract Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bedford, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Progress (Bedford, MA) in May 2016.

Interview

Applied on line, was contacted quickly and went in to interview with 3 people. Now, 3 weeks later, no feedback at all despite having reached out with follow up emails. Gotta say, very disappointed in the lack of professionalism ... especially for a recruiting role! If the recruiters are the "face" of the organization initially, and this is the way they operate with candidates, wow!! Thanks but no thanks. I suppose the reputation that Progress has in the market is apparently well deserved.

Interview Questions

• Nothing very complicated, standard questions   1 Answer

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Progress (Boston, MA) in May 2016.

Interview

Had three interviews (two by phone and one in person). I also had a chance to speak with peers, which helped me feel comfortable about joining the company. The hiring manager also assured me that they don't cap earnings and want their people to do well.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your experience selling technology to large enterprise?   1 Answer

Jan 26, 2017 – Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your review. Yes, we often have candidates meet with their peers in order to gain a better understanding of what it would be like to work in the role and to learn more about the culture.

Customer Advocate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Progress (Austin, TX) in February 2016.

Interview

The hiring and interview process was so amazing. My recruiter went every step of the way with me stayed in constant contact throughout the entire process. Process took four weeks. First phone screen with recruiter, then with a manager, final interview was an in person. Very positive experience Accepted offer I can not say enough about the hiring process very professional. Happy to be a part of the Progress Team.

Interview Questions

Progress Response

Dec 5, 2016 – Talent Acquisition

Thank you and we are happy to have you on board!

Quality Assurance Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bedford, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Progress (Bedford, MA) in January 2016.

Interview

The interview process was odd. I had one telephonic interview with hiring manager and then she called me in house interview with 4 of the team members. The questions asked by the team members were not even technical more process oriented. Whether I could work in agile team , how do I find scrum methodology etc. Now these questions were pretty straightforward. All the interactions were friendly and went well.However even after 1 month of interview process the HR did not bother to inform me the status of my application, which is kind of weird!

Interview Questions

Progress Response

Nov 7, 2016 – Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your review. We are surprised to hear that you did not receive a concluding response to your interview process. We will always call or send an email to each candidate that not only ... More

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Progress (Miami, FL) in October 2015.

Interview

The Interview Progress was very straight forward, well conducted and fast. Very professional and skills/ position needs focused.Expectations were established from the start, very clear; with a very well explanation about career plans and routes to grow professionally within the organization.

Contract Renewal Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Progress (Morrisville, NC) in July 2015.

Interview

Applied online, phone interview with recruiter 30 minutes to an hour, phone interview with hiring manager, in person interview with VP of renewals, phone interview with sales force admin, follow up calls with hiring manager and recruiter. Everyone was punctual and polite, clear throughout process they were highly interested in me. Gerry (the recruiter) did a fantastic job selling the company.

Interview Questions

• Lots of brain teasers, they want to see your thought process   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was prepared to negotiate, but the offer they presented me was actually more or less exactly what I should be making in the area with my experience.

Renewal Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Progress (Bedford, MA) in May 2015.

Interview

Two phone interviews and one in-person interview. The phone interviews I felt were more important in the screening process. by the time I got to the in-person interview it was very informal and I felt they had already decided that they would hire me. Everyone was friendly and casual and made me feel very comfortable.

Interview Questions

• Department Manager (no longer with company) asked me brain-teaser questions, which was new and interesting. Otherwise standard interview questions, they were very interested in hearing me sell myself for the position, but in a way that made me feel confident.   1 Answer

Jan 26, 2017 – Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your review. We are glad that you enjoyed the interview process and appreciated the questions that were asked. Welcome to the team!

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Progress in April 2015.

Interview

Found them through a job fair at my school got a email about a month later. Interview consisted of three 1 on 1 interviews with three different people. First person told me a little bit about the company and asked about my background. Second was more behavioral/personality questions. Third was about technologies that I knew.

Interview Questions

• Standard interview questions like why should we hire you or greatest strength   Answer Question

BI Data Warehouse Architect Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Progress.

Interview

The interview panel consisted of 3 people. The interview was somewhat odd. One person was asking most of the question. And he didn't really want to understand what I was trying to answer. I guess I had to answer them the way he thinks. Based on his questions and reactions to mine, I felt he doesn't implement what he is talking about. But he knows things theoretically. For example, he told me that MERGE statement is a substitution for CDC in data logging in non-enterprise edition of SQL. And the way it was said was a bit odd, when he asked me how I implement data logging when no CDC is available, I suggested to build a logging tables (which I've done in the past) and he asked me with the smirk "Don't you know about merge?". And I said, no, they are 2 different things - one is for logging (CDC) and another is updating (MERGE). He (and the manager) ignored that.
    He asked me about how do I denormalize a highly normalized database (he said in 6th normal form - so this company is probably working with such complex databases). I said I would look into relationships between tables, to determine what are attributes and what are facts. But I couldn't elaborate as he just started talking over me. He asked can you have a fact table without numbers? And I said no you have to have numbers in the fact table. Some of them could be not facts, like invoice number. He said, again with smirk - that would be degenerate dimensions. Not sure what he meant? yes, that would be degenerate dimension but it is still a number that is IN the fact table. I don't know if he denormalized any databases before but if he did, the question is too broad and there is no one sentence answer.
    Then he asked me a SQL join question. What would be a result of SELECT * from A LEFT OUTER JOIN B on A.ID = B.ID where B.ID is null. A had 1,2,3,4,5,6 and B had 1,2,3,7,9. So I said the result is 4,5,6. One of the people said NO. So I have added results side by side and NULLs to show how I arrived. I was sure I was right. I was pretty nervous at this point. Then he changed the WHERE clause to A.ID is null. I said it will bring nothing. Based on his face I was wrong, so I've asked him - is it a right answer? He told me that I need to check it myself when I come back home from the interview. I am pretty sure it is right, there are no null values for A table.
    The way he asked questions I couldn't understand what exactly he wanted to know. He asked me what is the template for initial ETL package I would create. I frankly not sure what he meant. So I said I would have data sources and data flow task and in the data flow task placeholders for transformations for staging area, etc. I said it depends on the task. He was not in agreement and kind of moved on. When talking about data execution plan he has asked me what would slow down the query. My answer was indexes and subselects. Then he asked what is table scan and Index seek. The names by context offer the answer, right? But I was so nervous I wasn't able to answer it and that was in my opinion the only answer that I didn't have. That and "template" for the ETL.
    So yes, I have to admit, it was emotionally very hard, intense and somewhat humiliating interview. I wonder if it was a technique to see if I can work under pressure? Obviously I can not as they told me I am in between junior and mid-level on DW development and they need someone with better skills. I am somewhat relieved that I never have to work with them.