Quomation Insurance Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
J.R. Jensen

Pros
  • I gained experience at a number of different positions - from entry level and then all the way up to senior management (in 7 reviews)

• With the addition of our new senior developer I now am very confident I have the tools I need to get the job done (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • He likes to post a lot of fake reviews here because they have difficulty hiring people (not surprising) (in 6 reviews)

• IT/Support has fear of being let go any moment (in 6 reviews)

1. "good dev jobs if you can get hired"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Midvale, UT

I have been working at Quomation Insurance Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company hired a couple of senior devs that have very good experience. Coding practices/habits we use to do are being replaced by real industry standards. I used to think I was a pretty good self taught developer but I now know there is a lot more to learn. I'm glad these seniors devs came on board

Cons

I wouldn't be hired today if they were doing the interview. Quomation is looking for great developers who have years of experience. The other thing that has happened is code reviews. The last manager was totally hands off, never looked at my code - now it gets scrutinized pretty thoroughly. What i thought was great programming in the past is not today. little ego hit but I know this is going to help me get better

Advice to Management

I have appreciated the opportunity to grow my skill set and advance my career. Thank you for hiring real developers and forcing me to challenge myself more. Its been a great experience

"Descent small software company"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Quomation Insurance Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Steady schedule, friendly atmosphere.

Cons

Little money, no perspective, sales personal are no good, they are making sales and not standing up to their promises, not answering calls and questions asked by customers directly for sales.

Advice to Management

Work more on company structure, spend more money on equipment and employees

"good CSR gig"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Midvale, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Midvale, UT

I worked at Quomation Insurance Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

very defined role. handled calls and chats from customers on existing product. i did not have to sell or push other products. they also had a separate department for training. I started out as an entry level tech and after I passed a couple of certifications I ended up as a tier 2 tech.

Workdays were very predictable - not retail hours - no holiday work. Weekends were always off. I miss that already as I am working a floating schedule that changes every week. Manager was good too - he dove right in and took calls.

Cons

I wish they were bigger cause i moved out of state. The job can sometimes get monotonous where you help people with the same issue. I think this is more symptomatic of customer service than Quomation in general.

Advice to Management

get a satellite office going in California so I can reapply! good times guys - thanks for the experience!

"Extraordinary Turn Around"

Current Employee - National Sales Manager in Midvale, UT
    Current Employee - National Sales Manager in Midvale, UT

I have been working at Quomation Insurance Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A year ago one of my competitors bought me a beer and pitched me that if I switched to working for him I would make more money and have less stress. It was super tempting. I was up to my neck with issues and trying to juggle current and prospective clients. I went to my supervisor and told him I had enough. I would give him the professional courtesy of a month so he could find my replacement.

A few weeks later, my boss was let go - the owner of the Company called me personally and told me to hang in there - major changes were coming. He was straight up with me and told me the changes might take a year to 18 months to implement. I'm happy to say that he was wrong. The new team he assembled took less than a year. He took full responsibility for the shortcomings we had and was like life is too short to be average, let go make a name for ourselves.

The lows were really hard but I am so glad I stuck it out because we are the best software company out there for our little niche. You come here with the right skill set and you're going to kill it. The transition from a start up to a established company is a hard one to make. It is reallly easy to see all the mistakes in hindsight but I really like it here.

Cons

I had a science class in college that i only remember one thing from. The physics professor said, "entropy - the natural state of the universe." That is basically how a lot of organizations are. There is a point though when things get disorganized, they can't get any more disorganized. Its like an inflection point, do you do something about it or just let it burn out?

The reason i list this as a con is - we are incredibly organized now. Prior to our turnaround you throw a wrench into the operation - well it didn't really matter. There might have been 3 other fires burning and no one claimed responsibility.

Part of the price we are paying for the increased success is everything is scored, monitored or tracked. If you don't do your part, everyone knows. I get phone calls at night or on the weekends and if that horrifies you, this is not the place for you. That is why I list it as a con.

If you like having warriors on your team and guys and gals that have your back when you're on the road or on vacation - you found your dream job.

Advice to Management

The biggest change you have made is culture. The products we have are awesome, they are the best out there but the people behind them is what makes this company great. Hiring great people and standing behind them has made our products 100x better and that is probably an understatement. Keep finding winners because I love winning.

"Carrier Team Lead"

Current Employee - Insurance Carrier Team Lead in Midvale, UT
    Current Employee - Insurance Carrier Team Lead in Midvale, UT

I have been working at Quomation Insurance Services (More than a year)

Pros

The intelligent people you have hired in the last year are a big reason of why I am here. I thrive on finding solutions to things and having someone pick apart my argument and find out if it really will work or won't. The time and effort put in by the "A Team" is paying off. We are able to do the job that took more people in the past with a smaller and more dedicated number of team members. Guess what - they pay pretty darn good to because it is easy to show management the cost savings of replacing ineffective employees with really good ones.

Cons

When I first started here things were pretty laid back. Deadlines weren't really deadlines and it was an anything goes atmosphere. One time I forgot something at the office and came back around 7 pm and learned that "compile nights" were really code for "gaming nights" as one guy was there playing fantasy games with the lights all off. Yeah that doesn't happen now.

The laid back atmosphere is gone. It didn't change over night but there is a core group of people who regularly communicate after hours. I'll get emails at 10, 11 PM or even at 4 or 5 AM in the morning. It is electric - and the work is very stimulating and challenging. This is not for everyone and that is why I list it as a con. The small company environment divides things pretty quick - you're either doing the minimum or fully immersed in the experience.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring experienced people who are smart and professionals. The culture is great and I like the changes that have been made to help us succeed.

"account manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Midvale, UT
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Midvale, UT

I have been working at Quomation Insurance Services (More than 5 years)

Pros

Being part of the action - is what I enjoy in my job. I like the feedback I get from customers and my sales reps on how my accounts are being handled. Just the other week when a couple of our reps were at a convention I got a call about how one of our competitors was so frustrated with an account that we took from them. The cool thing about this was it wasn't an easy sale and CSRs I was dealing with were not the most patient people. Its competitive - it's part of who I am and that is what I look for in a job.

Cons

How do I put this - Pure Capitalism? I use to be part of a crew team. You know, small boat - everyone has to row. Small organization - small boat - someone isn't rowing - oh you notice. Quomation is just like that. Small company environment - you have the ability to make a difference. You got to like this type of environment because it is not the DMV. No government cheese here.

Advice to Management

i had the opportunity to ask the founder of Quomation how he got into this venture. I thought the response was good. He told me, "it was a lot of luck and work - not sure which was the bigger part - but guesses it was luck - so it meant I had to work harder. Learn from any job - its all good experience and do not be a bitter person." That is why I love coming to work every day here!

"QA SPECIALIST"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Specialist in Midvale, UT
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Specialist in Midvale, UT

Pros

Processes at Quomation are organized! We have a top notch senior developer supported by a talented dev team. The new DBA really knows databases. Networking - I got my own QA environment with access to as many virtual machines I could ask for. Compared to what I came from - this place is awesome. If you really like working in a lean production environment - this is the place.

Cons

Lean environment. Not everyone works out here - you got to know your stuff. If you are used to government work - it may not be the best place for you.

Its been 2 weeks since our last margarita friday. We need to keep this on schedule so I can perform to my optimal ability

Advice to Management

Keep those sales guys doing what they are doing. I love how they maximize sales in a particular area so when I QA a change - it helps max # of users. When they start jumping around selling in different markets that is when the QA becomes a bear.

"incredible structure"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Midvale, UT

Pros

This is a company who has reinvented itself. To put simply - leadership. Management recognized the deficiency in my department and put in talent and processes. The organization is simply amazing. Instead of having inexperience and guesswork we have a programming god and a scrum master who organizing everything in JIRA.

Cons

We actually are held to deadlines now. There are some long days. Don't get me wrong, it isn't fun staying late to get something done - if you want to be out the door at 5 PM every day - this isn't for you. But the work is incredibly rewarding and having a real dev team to do code reviews and improve my programming skills is the best on the job training I could ask for.

Advice to Management

I like the new surface work areas - I was going to mention it would be nice to get some outdoor seating/tables for the summer - but the customer care manager just came in with that the other day. If we could have some feedback/incentives tied to the new sales projects that would be great.

"good experience gained"

Former Employee - Senior Management in Midvale, UT
    Former Employee - Senior Management in Midvale, UT

I worked at Quomation Insurance Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I started working at Quomation during and after college. I gained experience at a number of different positions - from entry level and then all the way up to senior management. I enjoyed the rapid promotions and pay increase that came along with it. The exposure to several different projects was what really exciting to me at the time.

The can do attitude and willingness the Company had to take on just about any new project was what made me really engaged in my job. Any time my boss would give me something new - I would take it on without any hesitation because I believed I could do it.

Cons

The rapid promotions and pay. This is of course in hindsight and when it came time to look elsewhere for employment, I looked up jobs that had my title and pay and confidently went into the first few interviews. It actually took me a while to discover I was not going to get the same job title and pay and I had to accept a position with lower title/pay.

The biggest mistake was I posted my title to websites like Linked In - so prospective employers could do all the research on me prior to me coming in. Now colleagues and people I am linked with send me emails on why I have a title that isn't what it was before. In the end - I probably should have accepted the promotion I wasn't qualified to do - however I did take the promotion and pay and its a lesson to learn in life.

Advice to Management

Look outside the company as well for leadership than just promoting from within. I think people are always eager to please and the best candidate may not always be internal.

"database admin"

Current Employee - Database Administrative in Midvale, UT
    Current Employee - Database Administrative in Midvale, UT

Pros

Communication with the software programmers has gotten a ton better since they replaced managers. The new Scrum Master is using an agile method and tracking projects through JIRA. This has made following projects from start to completion a lot easier.

Work location is great - easy to get to - lots of lunch spots nearby - so glad we are in the Union Park area of Midvale. Having the development, customer service and sales teams all in the same office makes working with each team a ton easier as well.

Cons

With any change in personnel, the legacy systems do not go away overnight. So I am still working on removing a lot of the dead rot that the last guy left. The major difference now is I have the support of the programming manager as well as Senior Management to standardize a lot of our queries and indexes.

Advice to Management

i would like to continue to have the option to take educational courses that relate to my job - i really appreciate the ones i took last year and look forward to learning new skills from additional courses.