Reading Hospital Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Reading Hospital President & CEO Clint Matthews
Clint Matthews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great benefits, good staff to work with, opportunity for advancement" (in 9 reviews)

• "Good benefits for the employees" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Oh and their point system for absences is unfair and unreal" (in 9 reviews)

• "Every time you want to take off you are denied because they are always short staffed" (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Personal Care Assistant"

I have been working at Reading Hospital part-time

Pros

Flexible schedule with students who are in college. Pay is good compared to others in area.

Cons

Sometimes the understaffing on certain floors can be tough.

Sep 10, 2018 – VP, Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your review of your employment experience at Reading Hospital! We appreciate your feedback and your acknowledgement of our pay and the flexibility that is offered so you can continue to... More

2. "House Supervisor"

Current Employee - Nurse Supervisor in Reading, PA
    Current Employee - Nurse Supervisor in Reading, PA

I have been working at Reading Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Wonderful work environment. Staff always eager to provide excellent patient care.

Cons

Everything is growing very fast, great changes

Advice to Management

Always areas of advancement

3. "Registered Nurse"

I have been working at Reading Hospital full-time

Pros

Fast paced
    Informative
    Focus on continuing education
    Vocera

Cons

Location
    Pay
    Slightly political atmosphere with going up the promotional ladder

4. "Registered nurse"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Lebanon, PA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Lebanon, PA

I have been working at Reading Hospital part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Dedicated, prompt, prioritize. Care for others. RN with BSN with over 23 years of experience. Can work independently and very motivated.

Cons

Personally, I can be hard on myself. And sometimes my type A personality can become a negative. I take things to heart.

Advice to Management

I believe I would be a very good attribute to your company. My dedication and commitment would be beneficial for patients and the service you would desire. Thank you f ok r this opportunity.

5. "Former Nurse"

I worked at Reading Hospital full-time

Pros

The staff are amazing to work with

Cons

The company doesn't care about the employees

"Interpreter"

I worked at Reading Hospital part-time

Pros

Great company culture, people respect the interpreters and are genuinely happy to see them when they arrive. But at times we don’t feel recognized and treated as just another employee. Interpreters are an integral part of the health system. They serve the community and help break a language barrier. That’s an asset, and should be treated as such.

Cons

The #1 reason people leave this job, is the schedule, and the On-call. Getting activated in the middle of the night and being woken up, for situations that don’t require an in/person interpreter is frustrating. Specially, when one is expected to still work a full shift, on little or no sleep. Not only is it difficult, when performing a job that requires concentration. It also creates a liabilty, should something happen while en-route in the middle of the night. Even, though great effort is put into the schedule. They simply are undersaffed, and upper managent fundamentally does not understand how the department works or what is needed. They simply don’t have enough of interpreters to go around. So the surgeons, the doctors, and the patients wait.

Advice to Management

Hire dedicated interpreters for overnight shifts, it is the #1 complaint from the Emergency Room To L&D. It will eliminate the need for On-call and provide a better work life balance.

7. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Staff RN in Reading, PA
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Reading, PA

I have been working at Reading Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Managers and coworkers very supportive

Cons

No cons at this moment

Sep 10, 2018 – VP, Talent Acquisition

Thanks so much for your positive review and recommending Reading Hospital as a viable employer! We also appreciate your dedication to Reading and our patients with your 10+ years of service. - VP... More

8. "Nice place to work average to low pay"

I have been working at Reading Hospital full-time

Pros

being part of a large hospital

Cons

low to average pay scale

Sep 10, 2018 – VP, Talent Acquisition

Thanks for taking time to provide a review of Reading Hospital. We are happy to hear that you find Reading Hospital to be a nice place to work and like being part of a large Hospital. We are... More

"Patient Care Assistant"

Current Employee - Patient Care Assistant in Reading, PA
    Current Employee - Patient Care Assistant in Reading, PA

I have been working at Reading Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My co workers and Nursing Supervisor are great, definitely I can say they hire great people!! Real team oriented people. Benefits are pretty good and there are perks.

Cons

As most places in the healthcare industry extremely short staffed 80% of the time. Patients safety and care is always on the back burner when it comes to staffing and patient needs. We do the best we can with the team we have but when we ask for help it's ignored by the people pulling the strings. Definitely sad!! But we have to get told about how low are patient satisfaction is or how many inpatient falls/ injuries we have gotten. Just wish they were proactive. My supervisor definitely has stuck her neck out though time and time again. Oh and their point system for absences is unfair and unreal. People are encouraged to use the employee health clinic instead of ED for acute issues. But if their own employee health clinic tells you, you are too sick to return to work you get points despite have the time you contract the illness from the job.

Advice to Management

Look at the acuity of the patients needs and take care of your staff so they can take care of your patients with the care the need and deserve. And offer more incentives to all staff member not just RNs we all play about in building a great reputation for you between your patients and we have the most contact with them not the doctors or the nurses.

10. "Interventional Radiologic Technologist"

I have been working at Reading Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have job security here

Cons

Pager pay is less than stellar