SBA Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
SBA Communications President & CEO Jeffrey A. Stoops
Jeffrey A. Stoops

Pros
  • Great work life balance, and supportive managers (in 5 reviews)

• Fast paced environment with the flexibility for employees to create a niche that suits their abilities and interests (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Disconnect from upper management, always changing (in 7 reviews)

• Low Pay, Hostile work environment, mistrust of Management, Nepotism (in 6 reviews)

"Progressive Real Estate/Technology Company"

Current Employee - International Employee in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - International Employee in Boca Raton, FL

Pros

Excellent overall comp and benefits. Just launched an employee stock grant program that makes everyone an "owner".

Cons

No real cons but this is a very competitive business and "Nine to Fivers" will struggle with the pace of change and demands.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing to evolve processes and leadership.

Mar 6, 2017 – Manager Talent Acquisition

Thank you for providing your feedback regarding SBA Communications. We will continue to invest in all of our employees and drive to be the very best we can be for all employees and invest in our ... More

"Site Administration Specialist II"

Current Employee - Site Administration Specialist II in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Site Administration Specialist II in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at SBA Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Different things learned, nice cafeteria, good pay and benefits. I believe that with heavy workload you probably have a guaranteed job.

Cons

Heavy workload, no work life balance. Tons of employees quit because they are probably burned out from so much work and dealing with immature co-workers and superiors.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees

"1 word - Terrible."

Former Employee - Accounting in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Accounting in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at SBA Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

From the outside looking in you would think this would be a fantastic place to work for but it is anything but that. The only 'pros' are for stock investors, Directors and the CEO's , they get to stuff their pockets with bonuses .

The bonuses that HR speaks of equates to a whole extra 8 dollars a day, it is nothing to brag about. (they already factor that in the budget)

Cons

I have never stepped into a Corporate environment where then tension was so thick you can feel it. Workers are stressed and unhappy. The person that hired me quit 3 months later, shortly thereafter a couple more coworkers left . I instantly saw the writing on the wall. Even the HR person I worked with left for another company. If that doesn't tell you something I don't know what will. There is no moving up here. I literally received a 50 cent raise..

There is lots of turnover here, they don't care. Most people don't last long here with good reason.

Low Pay, Hostile work environment, mistrust of Management, Nepotism.

We (current and former employees) know the reviews that state this is a "Great Place to work" is put up my HR and management, since they don't want their investors to see this and know they are trying to save face.

I highly recommend working somewhere else or yourself, it is not worth the stress and aggravation.

Advice to Management

Ha! They don't listen.

"For the most part..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at SBA Communications (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is an onsite gym and cafe. SBA offers a decent health insurance and 401K package.

Cons

Too many suck ups and temperamental management. Difficult for the hard workers to get any shine.

Advice to Management

Be consistently professional.

"Accounting Policies"

I worked at SBA Communications full-time

Pros

Good benefits, gym, cafe on site

Cons

Insecure management, hostile environment, Director does not utilize company resources properly (too many unproductive meetings before handing projects over to IT, multiple co-workers assigned to the same task simultaneously etc), employees fear losing their jobs if they speak up

Advice to Management

I was promoted in SBA and loved working with the executives of the company. These guys are bright and drive the business and its strategies very well. I cannot say the same for management in Accounting Policies. Resources were utilized very poorly and no matter how well or hard I worked, I was antagonized for no apparent reason. I decided to approach the director to see where I was going wrong and provided examples of the hostile treatment I was receiving. She immediately got defensive yet could not cite one incident of where I was falling short. l also mentioned the work given me was elementary and pointed out that I could be utilized significantly more given my skill set. I was again met with opposition and threats. I knew then she was going to 'retaliate.' I kept this between the 2 of us and never went to HR or her boss. One week later she fired me.

May 22, 2017 – Manager Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking time to provide your review to SBA Communications. Your review is a 1 Star review, however, you stated that you love working with the executives of the company, good benefits ... More

"Changes are desperately needed"

Current Employee - Middle Management in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at SBA Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Steady work, half way decent company- used to be so much better

Cons

Please get rid of the operations management team- American Tower got rid of them for a reason- we don't need to turn into that company- analytics is great but don't forget the human aspect. Pay not great- bonuses taken away, sub standard equipment provided, far too many hours for the pay rate.

Advice to Management

Check your data to see if operations was more productive 5 years ago, or if it is now. Many of the changes have killed customer service, are redundant processes, and many are not time or cost effective. Take care of your long term employees they stuck by you in the lean years. Don't forget about your remote employees

"Don't get sucked in - They are not as great as they pretend to be"

Former Employee - Administrative in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Administrative in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at SBA Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great building with a lot of perks (gym & cafeteria). Professional setting with clear organization. Good benefits and a lot of friendly people.

Cons

Really bad management in several departments. This company does not care about the employees on the bottom. HR cannot be trusted. Pay is not great and raises are bare minimum. They will over work you and under appreciate you. This is not coming from an employee who was let go and is bitter, this is the truth from an employee who was fortunate enough to find a company who values their employees.

Advice to Management

Be managers who employees can trust, appreciate good workers and be more competitive with your salary. You are doing well as a company but you don’t compensate well. Also, just because someone is a supervisor, manager or director does not mean they should be allowed to unprofessional. Get rid of the bad managers. That would make a world of difference.

Mar 6, 2017 – Manager Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking time to provide a review of SBA Communications. We continue to strive to achieve excellence in all we do at SBA and that includes investing in all of our employees. This is ... More

"Supervisor"

Former Employee - Construction Supervisor in Lewisville, TX
    Former Employee - Construction Supervisor in Lewisville, TX

I worked at SBA Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Pay was ok. The current management listened to what I told them about the project and crews,

Cons

I was on the road a lot covering three different states. To me this was not a con. As with most companies in the industry right now it is hard to find the right mix of work.

"Specialist"

Former Employee - Property Specialist in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Property Specialist in Boca Raton, FL

Pros

Great work life balance, and supportive managers.

Cons

Takes too long for promotions

Advice to Management

Promote from whithin, even if not ready.

"Inspiring culture"

Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at SBA Communications (More than a year)

Pros

SBA is a GREAT place to work, full of very talented employees and led by a strong management team. SBA is a results oriented fast paced environment promoting creativity and collaboration. Little bureaucracy as it's a relatively flat organization. Ownership mentality is being promoted as employees will receive stock when EBITDA goals are met annually. I only left the company because I moved out of the area.

Cons

I experienced NO Cons during my tenure.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!!