SBA Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

SBA Communications President & CEO Jeffrey A. Stoops
Jeffrey A. Stoops

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • HR and some Upper Management has listened to concerns, however, to no resolution (in 8 reviews)

• Low Pay, Hostile work environment, mistrust of Management, Nepotism (in 7 reviews)

"Good people, good industry, highly recommend"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at SBA Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stable company with solid track record. Culture is positive and forward-looking. Good working environment, good people. Company is a hidden gem in South Florida.

Cons

Nothing meaningful. It's been a rewarding experience.

Advice to Management

Recent efforts to improve training and employee recognition are appreciated.

Aug 7, 2017 – Manager Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the great review. SBA will continue to strive to be the very best we can be. We will continue to support our greatest asset, our employees.

"Company overview"

I have been working at SBA Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

SBA is a good company with good benefits. I think with improvements this company could go from good to fantastic.

Cons

Old technology, to many databases to use to find information to do your job, takes 3 times the time it should take. Database has incorrect information. Need to get rid of the good ole boy mentality. I wish i could show the executives what i have to do on a daily bases to do my job and maybe we would see some changes. It would be great if the executives took the time to sit with an employees in different depts. and get a feel for the job. Not just corporate, field office too. I cannot speak for all departments but some managers should not be managers. Our manager does not listen when we talk especially if its a issue that is being escalated as this manager does not like confrontation ( managers words). Then when it escalates above their position from the client, that manager blames the employee. Even though the employee tried to tell them ahead of time. Even though the company is growing, our department does not offer growth opportunities. Only hires outside and no opportunity to learn next level up. I was even told by my manager not to help another dept. tell them i am too busy. Its like we are not all SBA employees. Really weird. Our dept is very micro managed and the director does not talk to the staff only the manager point of view. Staff is scared to report to HR as it comes back to bit them.

Advice to Management

Please get to know your employees, take a hard look at managers. Some people just are not cut out to be a manager. Stop offering hiring positions to the friends and good ole boys club. The star rating below pertains to my department ratings. Not SBA as a whole. SBA can be an fantastic company, just need to make some changes.

"Great company but no growth opportunities."

I have been working at SBA Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Growing Company. Diversity in staffing. Management is approachable. Great Executive Leadership. Good benefits. Good if you just want a job.

Cons

Very little promotion within. HR does not adequately respond to employee work concerns. Leadership is focused only on the stock price rising and not employee value. Employee morale has changed for the worse. Many unhappy employees.

Advice to Management

Create 360 reviews. Open up communication beyond your executive team. The work environment is suffering because the hard workers are not being heard, promoted, or appreciated.

Aug 29, 2017 – Director Talent Acquisition and Development

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback and review. You have stated in your "Pros" that SBA is a growing company, however, titled your review "Great Company but no... More

4. "Tower Technician"

I have been working at SBA Communications full-time

Pros

per diem, weekly pay, flexible time off

Cons

Out of town work, long hours, dangerous conditions

Aug 29, 2017 – Director Talent Acquisition and Development

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review. The life of a Tower Technician (Journeyman) does include a lot of travel. We make sure that we discuss this in the interview process and ensure... More

5. "Horrible Management"

I have been working at SBA Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits and a somewhat flexible schedule. Gym, cafe...although somewhat expensive.

Cons

Management is not supportive of their employees. Employees are not valued or informed. No matter how much effort or work is produced, it's never sufficient for some managers. Some managers play favoritism and unnecessarily badger other employees with unrealistic expectations, demands and micro-management. Lower management, for the most part, does not take any interest in communicating and understanding various aspects of an employees role to understand the ins and outs of the various roles and requirements in which they manage causing much frustration and division. Advancement is non-existent in some areas. Concerns, suggestions and constructive criticism is not accepted and there is retaliation from management if employees attempt to address any concerns. HR and some Upper Management has listened to concerns, however, to no resolution. Lower level management uses HR and upper management as a scare tactic and discourages employees from communicating with them. There is division in the departments and communication is discourage with fellow employees, the people you spend most of your waking hours with.

Aug 7, 2017 – Manager Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback and review our SBA Communications. SBA Communications does value our employees and work very hard to provide the very best work environment... More

"Site Administration Specialist II"

Current Employee - Site Administration Specialist II in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Site Administration Specialist II in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at SBA Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Different things learned, nice cafeteria, good pay and benefits. I believe that with heavy workload you probably have a guaranteed job.

Cons

Heavy workload, no work life balance. Tons of employees quit because they are probably burned out from so much work and dealing with immature co-workers and superiors.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees

"1 word - Terrible."

Former Employee - Accounting in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Accounting in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at SBA Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

From the outside looking in you would think this would be a fantastic place to work for but it is anything but that. The only 'pros' are for stock investors, Directors and the CEO's , they get to stuff their pockets with bonuses .

The bonuses that HR speaks of equates to a whole extra 8 dollars a day, it is nothing to brag about. (they already factor that in the budget)

Cons

I have never stepped into a Corporate environment where then tension was so thick you can feel it. Workers are stressed and unhappy. The person that hired me quit 3 months later, shortly thereafter a couple more coworkers left . I instantly saw the writing on the wall. Even the HR person I worked with left for another company. If that doesn't tell you something I don't know what will. There is no moving up here. I literally received a 50 cent raise..

There is lots of turnover here, they don't care. Most people don't last long here with good reason.

Low Pay, Hostile work environment, mistrust of Management, Nepotism.

We (current and former employees) know the reviews that state this is a "Great Place to work" is put up my HR and management, since they don't want their investors to see this and know they are trying to save face.

I highly recommend working somewhere else or yourself, it is not worth the stress and aggravation.

Advice to Management

Ha! They don't listen.

Jul 13, 2017 – Manager Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your review with us. We are working hard to ensure everyone that we hire fits our SBA Culture. A number of the items that you have listed above are not accurate. We care... More

"For the most part..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at SBA Communications (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is an onsite gym and cafe. SBA offers a decent health insurance and 401K package.

Cons

Too many suck ups and temperamental management. Difficult for the hard workers to get any shine.

Advice to Management

Be consistently professional.

"Sucks"

I have been working at SBA Communications full-time

Pros

None no good sucks worst company ever

Cons

No communication no leadership no clue what's happenin once one job is finished lack of hrs

Advice to Management

Communicate

May 22, 2017 – Manager Talent Acquisition

Thank you for providing your review of SBA Communications. I would encourage you to reach out to your HR Manager to discuss any issues you are currently having. SBA takes great pride in providing... More

"Accounting Policies"

I worked at SBA Communications full-time

Pros

Good benefits, gym, cafe on site

Cons

Insecure management, hostile environment, Director does not utilize company resources properly (too many unproductive meetings before handing projects over to IT, multiple co-workers assigned to the same task simultaneously etc), employees fear losing their jobs if they speak up

Advice to Management

I was promoted in SBA and loved working with the executives of the company. These guys are bright and drive the business and its strategies very well. I cannot say the same for management in Accounting Policies. Resources were utilized very poorly and no matter how well or hard I worked, I was antagonized for no apparent reason. I decided to approach the director to see where I was going wrong and provided examples of the hostile treatment I was receiving. She immediately got defensive yet could not cite one incident of where I was falling short. l also mentioned the work given me was elementary and pointed out that I could be utilized significantly more given my skill set. I was again met with opposition and threats. I knew then she was going to 'retaliate.' I kept this between the 2 of us and never went to HR or her boss. One week later she fired me.

May 22, 2017 – Manager Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking time to provide your review to SBA Communications. Your review is a 1 Star review, however, you stated that you love working with the executives of the company, good benefits... More