SPR Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at SPR full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They genuinely care about your career and what technology you are using and whether that is engaging to you. They understand that work is not all there is and encourage a healthy work/life balance. At the same time they are a consulting firm and encourage you to bill, but if you do bill OT they do pay you OT (whenever this does happen, which is infrequent).

Cons

Typical growing pains of what use to be a 50 person company turning into a 200 person company. Getting more formalized HR, IT, and other processes/flows smoothed out.

Advice to Management

To be a little pickier in hiring, only hire the best of the best.

2. "Quality firm to work with"

I have been working at SPR full-time

Pros

Good coworkers, nice variety of work, fun company outings

Cons

Business casual dress code in the office, no real opportunity for career advancement

Advice to Management

Try to retain good talent better.

3. "A Positively Challenging Chicago Tech Company"

Former Employee - Mobile Developer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Mobile Developer in Chicago, IL

I worked at SPR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I went in as an excited employee and I am leaving as a satisfied one. My employment with SPR was a great, career-enriching experience. My manager was professional, personable, and always available whenever I had anything to talk about. My lead was a living embodiment of tech documentation, and through him, I have learned so many 'deep' concepts of development. My project manager always had our sprints on point and on the move. My teammates were all capable, competent, and friendly folks. The work-life balance is fantastic here, and it's something that I'm afraid that I'll miss in my new position elsewhere. As someone who moved from out of state to have a spot in SPR, I do not regret my move one bit. I have become a better developer by working in SPR.

Cons

The cons that I can share are quite vain and not at all that important, but a mix-up of La Croix flavors would be nice. I never knew of La Croix before working here, but after drinking tons of lemon and grapefruit, I was shocked to find out all these other cool available flavors in Whole Foods. An electric water kettle would be very nice also!

Advice to Management

I wish SPR the best to expand and continue breaking new grounds and achieving all its grand milestones.

4. "Great place to work"

I have been working at SPR full-time

Pros

Open office collaborative environment. Relaxed, friendly atmosphere with opportunities for growth. Fantastic benefits.

Cons

No permanent seating structure and lack of meeting spaces.

Advice to Management

Communicate more openly with teams.

5. "Your voice is heard and you are given credit of things that you initiate"

Current Employee - Architect in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Architect in Chicago, IL

I have been working at SPR full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fair treatment, No politics, Great pay, Good benefits, Easily approachable middle and top management, You get what you want to get the job done, No red tape.

Cons

I have been with the company for 3 years now and it has been great learning experience. No cons till date.

Advice to Management

We are doing good but we can be more aggressive in trying to achieve higher goals

"Developers BEWARE! Politics Galore! 14 Fake reviews below, solicited in company-wide email."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at SPR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Office parties, paid bench time and office view. Ability to fake it till you make it.

Cons

Management is in serious disarray, continually getting fired by clients due to management problems and poor communication that could have been prevented. Little to no room for growth unless you have a personal in with the long standing people. Turn over is highest I've ever seen at a company. Extreme lack of respect, lower pay compared to market standards and sad raises. No bonus or incentives for doing extra work. I would not recommend to anyone with good experience to work here. They tend to hire people with big egos and little experience. You will hear management openly calling your coworkers idiots, and the term 'thrown under the bus' often. Not a safe work environment, developers tend to stay only a year or 2 max and are blamed for everything. Very much a transition job, not a full time career.

Advice to Management

Remove management and principals who are continually reported to HR. Take a harder stance on workplace harassment and office bullying. Fulfill promises of raises and promotions in a timely matter.

SPR Response

Jun 29, 2017 – HR Generalist

Thank you for your candid feedback. We regret to hear that you had a negative experience as one of our employees. We pride ourselves on our high repeat business rate (87% of our clients engage us... More

7. "Loyal, Competent Leadership"

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Chicago, IL

I worked at SPR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The management team is incredibly engaging, while allowing employees the autonomy to drive results. They are also very loyal to their staff.

Cons

Not much room for growth. They have a pretty good idea of the functions that will make them successful and plug people into those functions.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

8. "Great Colleagues!"

Current Employee - Test Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Test Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at SPR (More than 3 years)

Pros

Team collaboration is great! Working environment is very open and congenial.

Cons

Could be more competitive with compensation.

Advice to Management

Transparent communications and listening.

9. "I feel valued here"

Current Employee - Practice Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Practice Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at SPR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

So many consulting firms treat everyone like a cog to place into a client's machine, and when you are no longer a part required to run the machine, then you're done. SPR isn't like that. I love the recognition of the work I do for our clients. I love being able to work on something different not only day-to-day, but often hour-to-hour. And I love the overall vision that the company has about the solutions it wants to provide, and the position it wants to have in the marketplace.

Cons

Some ongoing infrastructure growing pains. The current version of the company was formed by a merger of three firms almost two years ago, and some of the kinks in being a 250+ person company instead of three smaller places have yet to be ironed out.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. The atmosphere you created is a great place to come every day. SPR is somewhere I'm proud to refer people to, potential clients and employees both.

10. "Positive, Family Atmosphere"

I have been working at SPR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

SPR offers a positive, family atmosphere that gives people the opportunity to make a difference in their career. After being down and out in the job market, SPR gave me the opportunity to change my career direction, to succeed and to affect the direction of my department. I am not the only one. SPR has given opportunities to many others and cares deeply about issues beyond the walls of the office. SPR has many benefits including opportunities to cross departmental boundaries and have fun.

Cons

Can't think of any at the moment. When I get off the elevator and see the door, I can't wait to walk through it.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Communication and decision making are key.