Secure-24 Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
Mike Jennings

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work/life balance is good for most but can be a challenge depending on the team and customers you are assigned (in 7 reviews)

• Holiday parties, picnics, happy hours, charity committee, team sports such as softball, golf, soccer (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great company"

I have been working at Secure-24 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Benefits
    -Work/Life Balance
    -Opportunities to grow
    -Positive and affirming environment.
    -Great coworkers

Cons

-Disciplinary process
    -Rough rollouts for new customers

Advice to Management

I think there is sometimes too much of a focus on growth and not getting it right. New customer rollouts could be smoother. Consequences for not meeting goals should be clearly outlined and enforced.

2. "Private Equity Changed the Company and Culture"

I worked at Secure-24 full-time

Pros

Great value prop in a growing industry.

Cons

Private Equity Mgmt. came in and changed the culture, comp plan, and was the reason I left.

"Support"

Current Employee - Technical Support in Southfield, MI
    Current Employee - Technical Support in Southfield, MI

I have been working at Secure-24 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Secure-24 is an amazing place to work! The benefits are outstanding, in particular, the limitless vacations, flexible work schedule and the happy hours where we get the chance to hang out with our co-workers and enjoy a few beers. The technology exposure is second to none and its great knowing that I have so many talented senior technical resources that are willing to help and grow me. My Management team are very approachable and they genuinely care for my well being.

Cons

None - I wish I would have found Secure-24 earlier in my career!

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you are doing. Always stay connected to the people and you will always get the right results. By the way, we love our new Microsoft Surface Hub, its awesome!!

"What an AWESOME Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI

I have been working at Secure-24 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

What's not to love
    Great people, great benefits, great opportunity
    Culture is phenomenal. Fun atmosphere. Extracurricular activities everywhere. Holiday parties, picnics, happy hours, charity committee, team sports such as softball, golf, soccer. All company paid for.
    Best benefits anywhere. Company pays 100% with very low co pays and out of pockets.
    Opportunity to work with some of the brightest most innovative people anywhere. They are also so much fun.
    Open door policy everywhere. Leadership team is very accessible and takes a keen interest in employees, their families, their life!
    Very diverse workplace with women on the executive team. S24 was leading edge with gender neutral bathrooms. Everyone is welcome.
    Great place to spend your entire career. You will continue to be challenged with something new everyday. Never gets boring. Opportunities to do whatever you are interested in
    Honor system for PTO. Seriously , you can take whatever time off you need
    This is like a big family and best place I have ever worked. Others feel exactly the same, because no one ever leaves. And if they do, 6 months later they come back

Cons

What's not to love. Awesome company, employees, leadership, technical and on and on

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do. And thank you for giving us this incredible place to work at

"Accelerated Professional Development"

I have been working at Secure-24 full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The ability to expand your work experience at Secure-24 is unlike anything you can find within the IT industry at large. Career progression is real, and if you have the desire to be involved in new projects they exist year over year because Secure-24 is a growing company, who also invests in training for employees.
    Secure-24 appreciates hard work and does so with excellent benefits: unlimited vacation, health care, dental, vision, 401k and life insurance.
    Corporate responsibility is a big focus too, with a Professional Women's group, philanthropy committee, and many opportunities to be involved in community projects through the year. Commitment to diversity is a big deal, and gender neutral bathrooms and the employee assistance program are just a few things that really make a difference in people's lives.
    The remote work/work from home flexibility is very good. Working remote is no problem, which allows people to be present during important family and life events, but still make progress at professional development. While work from home is used widely, people want to come into the office because the people who work at Secure-24 are quite possibly the best part. There are few workplaces where you can make so many friends and build real professional trust. The happy hours, company events, and rec leagues for those into bowling/golf/soccer/flag football/softball/etc. make a big difference in getting to know people. I've never lacked a mentor or a friend while working at Secure-24 and it's because I've stayed involved in these types of activities.

Cons

IT Management, especially at a service provider, isn't for everyone. Secure-24 is in an industry that requires working on holidays and weekends, but they do a good job of working to be progressive about work/life balance and appreciating employees, and the effort put into this makes a big difference. IT everywhere has a gender and diversity imbalance, but again Secure-24 is taking real steps to improve in these areas. It's also a growing company, so if you don't like moving your desk every 6 months or the excitement of big projects, Secure-24 might not be for you.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on the employees and working to be the best IT company in the industry for your customers.

6. "Good changes the last few years, still need to clean the upper management"

Former Employee - Meat Grind Product
    Former Employee - Meat Grind Product

I worked at Secure-24 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love working here about 60% of the time. I really enjoy my teammates, and who I work for in the company. The free benefits are very nice, although the secondary insurance company is horrendous. The HR team is always engaged with us, and the company gives away a ton of things to charity, and encourages the community effort. The company sponsors many events this year for employees, including partially paid for bowling league, soccer, baseball etc. company picnics, tigers tickets; and lets not forget about the twice a month kegs and food after hours. you cannot go hungry working here

The CEO knows people all the way to the Helpdesk which is awesome. Mike is very approachable and what other company can you request a one one one with someone like him and actually get it? CEO CFO - those guys really care about us and it shows.

I love the people I work with~ just not for. Big difference sadly.

Cons

The leadership of my chain of command is horrendous. You have directors reporting to directors, who report to a CIO who reports to a VP. (yep! repeat that to yourself a few times). The CIO believes he knows technology better than any engineer who works under him, and will undercut you to prove he is right. I don't trust anyone in my leadership area, period. They are not out for you, but out for themselves. The lack of hiring on the ops side has all of us lready for the hills. I could make less and feel fully appreciated, or move upstairs to a team that I know will let me flourish as a

Advice to Management

Literally stop demoralizing your employees. I work my butt off for my skill, and to have an executive override me is a slap in my face. We love technology and if we cannot flourish, you cannot flourish. Give me my life back, and when I am only working 40 hours. week maybe I will enjoy my low ball salary.

You cannot teach people how to lead. leaders are created by experience and skill. promoting someone just to move them is really stupid. if they are failing, fire them.

7. "Performance Consultant"

I worked at Secure-24 full-time

Pros

Growing company in Innovative field

Cons

It is Southfield, Michigan based

Advice to Management

team members require opportunity for growth

"For the most passionate in IT"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI

I have been working at Secure-24 full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you want to take something on at this company, you're empowered and supported to make it happen. Very entrepreneurial environment with loads of new technology and focus/rewards for innovation. Certification reimbursement is a major perk too!!

Cons

Working at a IT service provider isn't the same as working IT at a enterprise job, it's a lot faster paced requiring higher attention to detail and care. Not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Continue to reward innovation and remember to invest and connect with new hires, it's our path towards sustained innovation and passionate customer service.

"Amazing place to work"

I have been working at Secure-24 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Health care is exceptional, they treat everyone with respect

Cons

Not the highest paying place

"Great at the beginning, but steadily declines after"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI

I worked at Secure-24 full-time

Pros

- Complete benefits package (Dental, Health, Vision, and Life Insurance)
    - Plenty of room for advancement but only if you're on the helpdesk (more about this in the cons)
    - Decent Work/Life balance but only if you're on the helpdesk (more about this in the cons)
    - Multiple company sponsored events and outings
    - Happy Hour every week (more on this below and in the cons)
    - Amazing opportunity to learn new technologies
    - Decent pay but only if you're on the helpdesk (more about this in the cons)
    - Discounted Soda/Pop machines and all the free coffee and fruit you could want
    - Unlimited Paid Time Off (Honor System, no dedicated PTO/Sick days of any kind)
    - Company is willing to train and help you grow (more about this in the cons)

At Secure-24 you'll find a ton of amazing opportunities when you first walk in the door. If you're working for the helpdesk to start (which 99% chance you will be) you'll find that the work to life balance is amazing and that the opportunities for growth are absolutely exponential.

The environment at Secure-24 is very friendly, however a bit tight-knit - once you make it past that initial hurdle of being the new guy/gal, everyone can be very friendly and supportive depending on how you treat them (more about this in the cons). The company has multiple sponsored events and outings that are of no cost to the employees and are always a blast to attend (especially the annual Christmas party).

Finally, if you enjoy Nerf Gun wars, then this is definitely the place for you. Ultimately, all of the pros are at the helpdesk level.

Cons

- Lack of advancement opportunities once you leave the initial helpdesk position
    - Absolutely horrendous work/life balance once you leave the initial helpdesk position
    - Environment appears very friendly on the surface but is actually heavily driven by the rumor and gossip mills
    - Need to be a part of various cliques to get along with most people outside of the helpdesk
    - 401k matching at 0.5% down from the previous 6% it once was
    - Help desk technicians are often sneered at and ridiculed by those outside of the helpdesk behind their backs - even from those that came from the helpdesk to their new engineering team(s)
    - Lack of respect for anyone outside of your specific team
    - Lack of camaraderie outside of your specific team and even sometimes within
    - Horrendous pay to workload ratio
    - Massively overworked employees outside of the helpdesk
    - Company is willing to train and help you grow but only when on the helpdesk positions

At Secure-24 you can definitely bet your bottom dollar that the environment is very childish and insecure and that the workload is absolutely ridiculous. You'll see other reviews on here complaining about the work to life balance, the horrendous pay, the clique-ish environment - they aren't kidding or lying...

If you're not considered a golden child or if you aren't in with the various cliques then you will find it incredibly hard to get anything done. To make matters worse, aside from the helpdesk most of the operational/engineering teams are operating with at least 1-2 people less than should be on their teams to balance workloads appropriately. Due to this everyone outside of the helpdesk are overworked, underpaid, and have a horrible work to life balance. And due to all of that, this is probably why there are some engineers that are as rude as possible whenever they can manage to be so. They're unhappy and I don't blame them.

Speaking of being underpaid - expect to make at least $10k to $15k per year less than what is the market average for your position all while working 50+ hour work weeks with little to no compensation for the extra hours. Outdated and unrealistic metrics are used to prevent promotions and to keep raises to a minimum, unless you're a golden child or a favorite of upper management. Nepotism and favoritism are plentiful in Secure-24, don't expect anything less.

The culture that the original founders created and its growth that they once envisioned for the company is all but gone - the only way you hear about it or experience it (in a minimum fashion) is that those in upper management won't stop parading it about as one of the best traits if not the best trait that the company has - even though it's virtually non-existent now. The only place it exists anymore is the weekly Happy Hour. Beyond that, only delusions of grandeur for something that once was is all that's left.

Advice to Management

For Secure-24 Management:

The only thing I can say here, not that it will be listened to, is to treat the employees better and communicate with them more clearly about departmental changes and/or possible position changes in advance. What Matthias and Volker once envisioned for the company has all but been killed off and you're allowing it to happen.

For the investment group that owns Secure-24:

Unless you bring back the environment and culture that this company once stood for, you're going to drive this company into the ground. Not worth much for re-sale at that point, so I would suggest possibly paying the employees what they're worth (or closer to said value then they currently are) and providing decent compensation for the excessive hours that they put in.

Either that, or hire the additional resources that are so very desperately needed in order to return normality to the operations and work to life balance of the engineering teams.