Select Medical Reviews | Glassdoor

Select Medical CEO and Director Robert A. Ortenzio
Robert A. Ortenzio

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • There is a high turnover rate because they don't offer a competitive salary (in 19 reviews)

• Patient care is not a priority, cash flow is the bottom line (in 17 reviews)

1. "Full time staff therapist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Select Medical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

no weekends, good con-ed programs,

Cons

no individual productivity incentive, clinic productivity goals seem unattainable,

"Clinical Liaison"

I worked at Select Medical full-time

Pros

Friendly staff and physicians.
    Nice facility.

Cons

High management turnover.
    some unrealistic expectations.

Advice to Management

Try and keep people in their positions by providing on going training and support.

"The Select Way"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jackson, MS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jackson, MS

I have been working at Select Medical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great learning environment. Management and co-workers are willing to train and teach you what to do. Most of the staff is amazing and wonderful to work with. New facility and lots of education available. All benefits available.

Cons

Challenging patient load and lots of hard work. You will sweat and run around on bad days. There are good days too though. High turnover. Negativity from some co-workers and indifference from management. Local management can only do so much their hands are tied by corporate. No incentive or modivational aspects to drive employees beyond 6 months of employment. Raises are a joke at 2% and do not reflect work done. If you make one mistake or have an attendance call in you don't get a raise at all but you get a list of goals to complete that are unreasonable. Doesn't matter if you completed your previous years goals or not. Health benefits are expensive. No incentive to be exceptional.

Advice to Management

Advice to corporate is to step back and let local management run the hospital. Let the managers give the tenured valuable employees higher raises or bonuses for completed goals or incentives for helping outside their job duties. Get the cost of health insurance down. As a hospital worker you should not have to pay this much of your premium. This is a billion dollar profiting company. Here is the profit going? None back to the staff that run the place obviously which is why turnover is so high. When management is even leaving for higher paying jobs you know everyone is underpaid for work expectations. Why are there hardly any opportunities for advancement or promotion.

4. "cna and unitclerk secretary"

Current Employee - Cna/Med Tech in Evansville, IN
    Current Employee - Cna/Med Tech in Evansville, IN

I have been working at Select Medical full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love working for them and I was hoping to retire in ten years from there.

Cons

The hours are always getting cut because of census dropping so low. I am not getting the hours we need for my bills

Advice to Management

try some new adds on tv or radio advertising how good our staff is and how caring we are.

5. "If you want to be just a number, this is the place to be. EVERYTHING is based on numbers."

Pros

I am supposed to submit at least twenty words for the pros of this company before it will let me submit my review. Here are twenty seven.

Cons

Too many chiefs! Schedules are whacked. Always looking for employees. That should speak volumes. Managers need more training on handling situations, harassment and education before being put into their jobs.

Advice to Management

Stop basing everything on numbers. Just let people do their jobs and base it on individual accomplishments. Why should 4 people get a bonus when 3 did nothing to earn it?

6. "Good place to start but don't waste a lot of time here"

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Mechanicsburg, PA
    Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Mechanicsburg, PA

I worked at Select Medical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work-life balance is good, 40 hours a week is the norm

Cons

Below-market pay for individual contributors (even including the 8-10% bonus that everyone gets every year) while executive management gets millions in stock bonuses; technology is outdated; no incentives to excel as promotions are several years apart and salary is not adjusted outside of annual reviews

Advice to Management

Get rid of the rubber-stamped yearly bonus and pay a competitive salary for your technical people.

Promote as positions open up and as your people do good work instead of promoting every six months once someone has been doing a mediocre job in the same position for 3 years.

Invest in your technology. AS400s and RPG reports have no place in modern company.

7. "Dollar Driven"

I worked at Select Medical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They pay well, but that's it!! They tell you what you want to hear in order to get you in the door.

Cons

Only care about the almighty dollar. Leadership has a revolving door, especially if your aren't making them money. They pick and choose patients to admit on the basis of whether or not the patient will be financially beneficial. They don't seem to care for their staff as they cancel staff if the hospital isn't full.

Advice to Management

See above

"Rehabilitation director"

Former Employee - OTR in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - OTR in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Select Medical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong corporate guidelines and easy to follow policies

Cons

Rate of pay note as compatable with area

Advice to Management

Raises are neededd

9. "Medical Records"

Pros

There really is nothing that is pro about this job.

Cons

Management not knowing the job and constantly stuttering.
    Calling people out on the office floor instead of pulling them into the office.
    Picking and choosing favorites.
    Not following proper HIPAA rules when it comes to HIPAA being violated. They would only write up certain people and let others slide that would violate HIPAA every week.
    Brought the morale down of the team.
    Tried to "motivate" us like we were in preschool.
    Would try to constantly force people to come in on weekends when overtime wasn't mandatory. Just constant hounding.

Advice to Management

Get a better manager that knows the job and what is to be done within the team.

"Registered Nurse"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Newark, OH
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Newark, OH

I have been working at Select Medical part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I absolutely LOVE my job at Select! Our Doctors, Nurses, Techs, RRT's, Therapists, and even our Housekeepers are AMAZING!!! The management is wonderful and truly cares about the staff and patients. I have always said that if I get sick...or anyone I love gets sick...I would want myself or my loved one to be at our hospital!!! Amazing docs and nurses who truly heal the sick!

Cons

Sometimes difficult to staff tech positions with consistent staff.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! Continue to make patient care a priority (as you already do) and show appreciation to your staff (as you already do)....and you'll continue to have great success!!