KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Guy Gal
Talk anonymously with Real Estate professionals

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Featured Review

Mission-driven company with incredible growth potential

Jul 22, 2022 - Marketing
    Business Outlook

Pros

Side is fast-paced, but that's what makes it such a great place to work. If you take challenges head-on and love thinking creatively, your career will thrive here.

Cons

You'll work hard, and sometimes that means long hours.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 5.0

Great company and people

Jul 21, 2022 - Business Development Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Colleagues Management Technology Work from home Compensation

Cons

Lots of work, constant change (not necessarily a con for all)

3. 2.0

Don't Bother!

Jul 26, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

When the company was going through a period of growth past year, there were pros such as culture, diversity, upward mobility, but, unfortunately, it stops there.

Cons

Since the beginning of the year, we've learned that Management grossly mismanaged their finances, spending millions over budget last year. The CEO also started the year by telling employees they can leave if they're not satisfied or can't keep up with demand. Expect to get your head bitten off if you ask about 401k matching. Teams are nearly impossible to collaborate with because everyone is told to push back and communication is so terrible. The C-Suite is a nightmare. All of them are narcissists with no leadership skills whatsoever. The broker is team is essentially asked to exploit any loophole in the industry they can find. Compliance is a joke to them. Prepare to be gaslit if you speak up. The People Ops team is grossly negligent. If you go to them for help, they do nothing. I've never worked for a company that promises so much and delivers on nothing. Management cares only about the agents they expect to make money off of, and because they're a tech startup, they're quick to make excuses and sweep things under the rug. Truth be told, the tech isn't good, and most of our hiring power goes to people who have no background or understanding of real estate.

10 people found this review helpful

Side Response

Thank you for sharing your feedback. To clarify, the organizational changes made earlier this year were not financial in nature. They were made to slow down and get organized for sustainable long term growth. In 2021, demand for our product led us to enter new markets at a rapid pace. As a result, we hired too quickly, slowing down our ability to serve our agent partners in the best way possible. We do recognize that not everyone who becomes an inSider will feel like the mission and/or the opportunity is a great fit for them. That is why we provide a generous severance for anyone who wants to leave. We have been very open about this policy for some time as it provides people with an easier transition when it comes to finding their next adventure. As for compliance issues – We put a tremendous amount of focus on compliance in order to support our partners. It is our legal duty from a brokerage perspective to do so. We monitor this closely and have not had any issues since the company’s inception. It sounds like you have had some experiences that have left you feeling like we do not care about our inSiders. I am so sorry that you feel this way. Whether true or not, perception is reality so we take this feedback very seriously. I hope you will come forward with specific examples so that we can address them head on. Glenn Elliott Senior Director, People and Places

4. 5.0

Authentic & Forward-Thinking

Jul 20, 2022 - Customer Success Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Working at Side for the past year has been nothing short of great. Because great can be overused or misinterpreted as "sunny" or even "perfect", it's important to explain. This company empowers its staff to mold and create impactful programs and initiatives that elevate the customer experience of the partners/agents we support. - Mistakes happen and when they do, it's ok. Your leaders above you know you're going to make mistakes. Some of them might even joke with you that they made the same or even greater mistake than you at one point in their careers. No leader from the CEO down to the newest person expects you to be perfect. They expect you to care, learn from your mistake, and move forward. Perfection isn't expected. Integrity and respect for your job, colleagues, and individuals we serve is. -Mental health is important in today's age. The leaders at this company understand you can't perform your best if you're not at your best. However, they can't help you, unless you speak up. Don't be afraid to speak up. I've gotten to know so many managers, directors, and upper-management/leadership over my one year here. One thing is apparent and that's that they get it. They're mothers, fathers, have personal lives, and have off days just like you may have. They'll support you to ensure you're able to feel supported when you need it most. -If you're looking for a career that'll push you to be better, this is the place. You'll be challenged, you'll be given projects that may feel intimating and if you're like me, you might even wonder "can I do this"? The answer is yes and the reason is you won't be doing it alone. You'll be working in a place in which colleagues will help you succeed. You'll be working with leaders that support and ensure you're successful. The perfect example that I can provide is I was working with a client that asked a slew of questions I didn't know the answer to. Within 24 hours, I had the support of a C-level staff member calling the client to ensure their questions were answered with care. I've been part of some high profile teams and companies in the past, and only few times that's occurred.

Cons

-No company is perfect for everyone! The standards are high and a lot is expected when you're apart of this team. We're in a maturing phase and sometimes you have to roll with the punches. If you're not used to startup environments and you'll looking for an easy check, this may not be the best place for you.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

High Growth Startup, Lot's of Opportunity!

May 29, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Side is extremely mission oriented. There is clear alignment around the company's purpose, which is to transform the best real estate professionals into companies that are the service leaders in their communities. Customer advocacy is through the roof, which makes access to the community in order to optimize products and services strong. Overall, there is a lot of opportunity for those who are driven, want to make an impact and grow their careers.

Cons

Side is a startup, so the pace is extremely fast. We are in our teenage years, which means not everything is figured out yet. This type of environment is not for everyone. However, those that thrive in that kind of environment and want to make a big impact will do really well here.

2 people found this review helpful
  6. 5.0

Amazing Opportunities

Mar 25, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

I had very high hopes for my role at Side and all of my expectations have been surpassed. I have great support from my manager and we communicate on a daily basis. We have discussions about shorter and longer term goals for my career at Side. The company is doing very well so there are a lot of future opportunities for growth. I have amazing support from everyone on my immediate team and very engaged colleagues outside of my immediate team. Everyone is so helpful and positive. I love the startup environment where employees have a sense of ownership and we all benefit if Side does well.

Cons

Side is currently in expansion mode so there are frequent changes. If you are not comfortable with this, it could be a con for you. If you are flexible with change, you'll have the opportunity to get a wide variety of experience that you wouldn't have at a larger company.

2 people found this review helpful
  7. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Managament lacks compassion

Jul 31, 2022 - Brand Ambassador
    Business Outlook

Pros

Side has given me plenty of opportunities to learn how not to drive a startup into the ground

Cons

Management lacks compassion for her workers and they not even think about standing up for themselves. They are never wrong, will never change and have no system and process in place to grow. Do yourself a favor and run as far away from this place as you can.

4 people found this review helpful

Side Response

Thank you for taking the time to share your feelings. I am sorry to hear you didn’t feel supported by your manager. We do have a keen interest in growing and developing our managers and know there are opportunities to always do better. Even though you have left us at Side, I would like the opportunity to learn more specifics from you so I can ensure our efforts are focused in the right areas. Please contact me directly so we can talk. Thank you, Glenn Elliott Sr. Director, People and Places

8. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Women get into the lifeboats last at Side.

Jul 18, 2022 - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Hardworking colleagues that really care and continue to stay despite the terrible working environment.

Cons

Side gets 100% on all the ‘isms’: sexism, racism, ageism and unprofessionalism, but the biggest problem is that the “leadership” team is keenly aware of the issues, turns a blind eye and are really good at burying the truth. They will take the time the refute postings here, post fake reviews and ask employees to leave five stars to offset the real reviews, instead of take the time to address the deep management problems, systemic cultural issues and complete lack of care. All under of the guise of “all tech start-ups are like this.” For the record there isn’t a single employee that would give Side five stars without being asked to do so. A newly hired C level exec left after a handful of months, HE couldn’t tolerate it. Another C level was removed from ‘day to day’ because of HIS troubling turnover. Side loves hiring men, but they really have a thing for hiring WHITE men. One C level in particular has an deep affinity for hiring and ‘supporting’ white men on his team. Side is really good at paying these men more than women too. They should get five stars for unequal pay and treatment. Many managers (there are few true ‘leaders’) of impt departments are all led by quintessential insecure men who are the male versions of a Karen: catty, insecure and very vengeful if you speak up, share an unpopular opinion or god forbid you go to HR. Not that HR gets backs to you anyway, still waiting on an email response from 2021. The head of another important dept , a WM also, has zero applicable experience. A more qualified non white employee was demoted to make way for him. There are many more of these exact scenarios, but you get the idea. There is zero opportunity to grow. Most often solid and skilled employees were replaced by less qualified men and are inevitably forced to leave because there is nowhere to go. Women leave Side most often and many are moms and single moms. Never do they share new job openings because they refuse to hire from within. None of us could collectively recall when a job opening was ever shared or made publicly available for employees to be considered. Concrete ceiling is rampant here, google it. I’d say women suffered from glass ceilings at Side, but the glass isn’t even within reach for them. Women have to conform to be seen or they are boxed in to the same job year over year and never get a seat at the table. Employees are constantly checking in with each other to see if how they feel is normal or if they are being unreasonable about how miserable they are. Employees have no one to protect them, their job security or support their desires to grow. Someone posted here how they lost their hair working at Side, that’s how wildly bad it is. If you’re working at Side and reading this: NO IS NOT NORMAL for a job to make you lose your hair. No mediocre paycheck and dead end job is worth it.

6 people found this review helpful

Side Response

We are sorry to hear about your experience at Side and respectfully disagree. We take these types of accusations very seriously. Our HR team investigates all reports of racism, discrimination and harassment, and we take the strictest approach to uncover and take disciplinary action if inappropriate behavior is found. We have not found anything related to racism from an employee in any of our exit interviews or confidential employee engagement surveys. Not one. The assertions simply are not reflected in our numbers. Our leadership team is majority woman or people of color - currently at 59%. Three of 8 executive team members are women and an additional 2 are people of color. In addition, women scored higher in our recent employee satisfaction survey. We have made great strides in bringing under-represented leaders into the company, and we will continue to do so as it is the right thing to do, and will make our company, and our products and services better for it. Have white males been promoted? Absolutely. Have under-represented employees been promoted? Absolutely. We continue to build the leadership skills of our current employees and will be rolling out mentoring, buddy and other programs this year in addition to the ongoing courses we already offer. We are always looking for ways to improve as a company, and encourage our current employee base to leave honest feedback on Glassdoor. This provides a balanced view between employees who have left Side and those who are still here with us. I encourage you to contact me directly so that I can better understand your specific experience. Elizabeth Tse COO

9. 5.0

Collaborative team environment

Jul 5, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Positive work environment - Great managers - High degree of collaboration - Coworkers care about excellence - Flexibility - Interview process was great - quick turnaround

Cons

No cons that I can think of at the moment!

10. 2.0
    Former Employee

Management is very racist and have unfair work ethics

Jul 15, 2022 - Marketing Specialist
    Business Outlook

Pros

None whatsoever that I can say, corporate lack integrity, ethics, morals and overall character.

Cons

Favoritism and discrimination at its best. They claim there are equal opportunities, but NO inclusion and diversity exists. Witnessed several occasions wherein acquaintances were hired & promoted within months over employees with years of experience, and time at the company. Give yourself a favor, stay far, far away from here.

3 people found this review helpful

Side Response

I appreciate you taking time to share your feelings. We have no tolerance for any type of discriminatory behavior. We investigate any complaints that come to HR, and take appropriate action in order to maintain a fair and respectful workplace. We are also looking to expand upon our existing Employee Resource Groups and create more opportunities for inSiders to share their experiences and provide the leadership team with information that is important to them. With respect to promotions, we make these decisions based on skillsets displayed and needed instead of just looking at tenure for tenure’s sake. If there is more detail you would like to share in order for us to learn and act, please reach out to me directly to discuss. Thank you, Glenn Elliott Sr. Director, People and Places

Viewing 1 - 10 of 135 Reviews
</>Embed

Side Reviews FAQs

Side has an overall rating of 3.9 out of 5, based on over 150 reviews left anonymously by employees. 74% of employees would recommend working at Side to a friend and 72% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -8% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Side employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.0 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Side. This rating has decreased by -9% over the last 12 months.

74% of Side employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Side 3.5 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.0 for culture and values and 3.9 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Side to be benefits, career development, culture and the cons to be diversity and inclusion, management, senior leadership.

Popular Careers with Side Job Seekers