State Compensation Insurance Fund Reviews | Glassdoor

State Compensation Insurance Fund President & CEO Vern Steiner
Vern Steiner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Mistakes made by rank-and-file employees are punished while mistakes made by managers are ignored (in 7 reviews)

• Higher salaries for comparable positions in private sector (in 5 reviews)

"Great company to work for!"

Former Employee - Senior Workers Compensation Claims Adjuster in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Workers Compensation Claims Adjuster in Glendale, CA

I worked at State Compensation Insurance Fund full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You're not micro-managed. You're given responsibility for your caseload, but have easy access to your supervisor whenever a question arises. Good pay, good chances for advancement (especially for women). You're a state employee and a union member, so you're not overworked and have good benefits, vacation time and you choose if you want to work overtime (which is paid) or not - there's no pressure to work overtime which is really nice. Well-managed and the Glendale office always felt like a big family to me - it was the best job I've had to date!

Cons

You're a state employee, so if there are furloughs or hiring freezes (which don't happen very often), that could affect you.

Advice to Management

Start an employee wellness program.

2. "Program Technician"

Current Employee - Program Technician in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Program Technician in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at State Compensation Insurance Fund full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company to work for. Benefits are great.

Cons

Large company. Need to take tests to move up.

"A pretty good place to work"

Current Employee - IT Staff in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - IT Staff in Pleasanton, CA

Pros

in the departments I've worked in, co-workers, supervisors, and managers work well together. It is rare to come across conflicts that can't be resolved quickly. State fFubds biggest asset are the people that work here. Work will be work - normal stresses, problems and issues. However, most of the people here do what they can to get the job done.

Cons

State Fund is a state agency. The bureaucracy brings the company down at times. We have to deal with the union whether we want to or not. That being said, retirement benefits seem to be one of the best around.

Advice to Management

Management needs to remember to treat their employees with respect and remember that we are not just a number. Our history shows that if you disrepect your people no work gets done.

4. "State job with good benefits"

I have been working at State Compensation Insurance Fund full-time

Pros

Great benefits package
    Many training opportunities

Cons

Still developing technical infrastructure and heavy workloads exist because of it
    Dependent on external consultants
    Leadership continuously changes

Advice to Management

Focus on your internal employees and your main business instead of competition and long term goals too far in the future

5. "IT Employees( for the better or for the worse)"

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Vacaville, CA
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Vacaville, CA

Pros

Benefits are the best since it is a quasi state agency. It tends to use/purchase the latest technology in IT. You are in luck if you get the training in IT and then leave the company .

Cons

One operational mistake may cost you your IT career. (Applies to employees only not contractors). The few remaining technical staff are leaving the company for better working conditions and better promotional opportunities because employees always have to compete with contractors for challenging projects and assignments. It is widely known that an employee will only be promoted to highest technical position if the employee was a former contractor. Although they possess technical abilities, their communication , team work and interpersonal skills are not up to par compared to other employees.

Advice to Management

Vern, as CEO, you need to respect employees who have deep knowledge of company operations and history and who can provide long-term perspective to decisions. Please do not discriminate at tenured employees. Tenured employees tend to be loyal and dedicated. Not all employees are created equal. Your company's assets are your employees.

6. "Great professional environment. Great leaders."

Current Employee - Workers Comp Claims Adjuster in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Workers Comp Claims Adjuster in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at State Compensation Insurance Fund full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very progressive leadership team. They are moving the company in a very positive direction. Big changes in claims, underwriting and systems. Moving the company forward while engaging the employees to be a part of the improvements is the right way to do it, keep it up. I am proud to be a part of State Fund

Cons

A lot of work was and is needed. The strategy is sound. Keep including the staff in the design. Celebrate success more often. Lots of positive stuff.

Advice to Management

Lots of confidence in the future. Keep the ongoing communications. Ignore the naysayers.

7. "Senior workers compensation claims adjuster"

I worked at State Compensation Insurance Fund full-time

Pros

Good people. Solid pension makes up for low pay.

Cons

Working claims is depressing.

8. "Underwriter"

Current Employee - Underwriter in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Underwriter in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at State Compensation Insurance Fund full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people. Lots to learn. I came from a property and casualty background in sales and now I work in underwriting. The benefits are ok, time off is great and they have a 10/40 or 9/80 schedule that makes life very convenient.
    They also pay up to $8k per year for school which is why i'm trying to get my mba.
    Lots of opportunities in the Santa ana office as many people will retire soon.

Cons

The pay is substantially below the market. Only assistant underwriting managers make over $80k a year are salaried.
    Consider paying more when certain degrees are obtained. There is no extra pay for having an MBA. It's a union so you'll make the same as other people who don't pull there weight. Of which there are only a few.

Advice to Management

Merit based raises? who's against that?

9. "No long term future..."

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster

I have been working at State Compensation Insurance Fund full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Full benefits, time off can be accommodated, salary improves after year two

Cons

Not much opportunity after you become a Senior in any position, LOW salary, no negotiation, even after a significant increase in workload, they promote people who aren't ready to be leaders, every manager does things differently, very cliquey environment.

Advice to Management

Take more advantage of the fact that you're only a quasi-state agency. There's no reason you can't make your employees feel more valued. It's a shame that executive bonuses are as much as some of your employee's yearly salary, but we can't be given raises because you have to follow what the state says.

It's clear that upper management picks and chooses when to invoke "because the state says so" when it's convenient for them, but not when it matters to the rank and file.

State Fund has a lot of opportunities to grow and be a really great company, and it's a shame you will lose people in the process who leave for greater upward mobility, and yes, more money.

10. "Sr. Category Specialist"

I have been working at State Compensation Insurance Fund full-time

Pros

cool, clean, nice people, nice buildings, new equipment, double monitors.

Cons

Old workforce, pay scale, compensation