Sumo Logic Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Sumo Logic CEO Ramin Sayar
Ramin Sayar

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Hight speed development, nice people, free lunch" (in 22 reviews)

• "Great product, continuously innovating with great people and culture" (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "Fast pace with good work life balance, but not for the faint of heart" (in 5 reviews)

• "The CRO is terrible, underachiever, aggressive, bad hiring decisions, the sales team is going backwards" (in 7 reviews)

"Engineering"

Current Employee - Engineering
    Current Employee - Engineering

I have been working at Sumo Logic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Delightful team culture and peer support. Lots of good perks (snacks and meals, super fun team offsides, games). Leadership really knows how to engage teams in fun activities. It brings out the best productivity out of everybody while keeps a high level of work/life balance that I’ve never experienced elsewhere.

Cons

The company is at a late-stage startup phase, which can be uniquely challenging.

"Opportunity for upward mobility"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Development Representative in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Development Representative in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Sumo Logic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sumo Logic (particularly for sales) is undoubtedly an extremely technical product, which makes learning about the industry and succeeding in a sales role there a bigger accomplishment vs. most entry level sales development roles. Though there are a lot of moving pieces given the fact that Sumo is a late-stage startup, there is an immense opportunity for promotion and/or lateral movement within (i.e. moving to a different department). Sumo as a company has incredible perks such as catered lunch 5 days a week (for Redwood City, HQ employees), a true "startup" office feel (beer, cold brew coffee, snacks), company outings (Tough Mudder, Wine tastings, volunteering opportunities), a Macbook for all employees (Air or Pro), and a copious amount of free Sumo Logic apparel. The company's leadership is strong IMO, despite the other reviews. A very good place to "make it your own" meaning there is little rigid structure and red tape & a lot of room for creativity and ideas. A great company to start your career at & gain valuable experience. A lot of facetime with C-level management (CEO regularly walks around the office to say hello to everyone). Overall a great company culture, friendly, encouraging environment, and very diverse. Specifically for sales, one of the most cohesive groups of people both at and outside of work.

Cons

Quotas can change frequently, the Marketing team is extremely sub-par compared to competitors despite having such a strong & unique product, and male-to-female ratio is large.

Advice to Management

Revamp the Marketing department for increased brand awareness

"Cannot End Well"

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Sumo Logic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Sumo Logic's Log Data Analytics / Cloud Infrastructure Monitoring provides some value to it's customers and while not a new capability overall it was in a few ways unique, being subscription/cloud native/elastic but in the view of too many customer's and prospects not enough to warrant the cost. Also have to say, there are many very good individuals who contributed here.

Cons

As a long time veteran of enterprise software sales I can honestly say this is the most unethical organization I have ever encountered. Stated with no hyperbole, the churn in the sales organization was simply absurd; wildly unprecedented to my knowledge. It's also IMHO a most offensively "cult like" culture. In addition I witnessed a total commitment to unethical behavior in dealings with customers and salespeople alike. (The bait and switch was hard coded into the sales compensation plan by design and with intent specific to compensation on subscriptions). I could say more, but I'll end by saying I was actually a sales leader tracking 100% of quota but still felt it was 100% necessary to leave.

Advice to Management

Unscrupulous works only in crime and con-games because that's a hit and run scenario, where the perpetrators must disappear. Any experienced business person should know better.

"Aligned on the Mission"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Sumo Logic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Solid alignment of corporate goals to all our functions. Feel like have never worked so hard, yet loving every minute of it. Transparency in communication, voicing ideas and objections and moving quickly to resolution and action. Wonderful, loyal customers. Belief in the product and value we provide to them as evidenced every day with the platform. I actually wake up excited on Monday morning to go to work. Go figure!

Cons

The culture and the drive to achieve is infectious. Just need to be mindful for oneself and peers to not let it become burnout from gunning so hard.

Advice to Management

Remember to not take for granted the wonderful culture clearly on display in HQ can dissipate the further you are geographically from the mothership. Keep up strong communication cadence and reminders of our values and "how we roll" to everyone out there on their own.

"Pretty solid"

Pros

Good food, environment is really nice and relaxed

Cons

As an intern, it is pretty hard to jump into it, but I guess it's the same with all internships

"Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Sumo Logic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to take part in a massive market opportunity for machine data analytics that is fueled by trends in IT such as migration to cloud infrastructure. Great culture and people. Working for a company where it's easy to see the value you are bringing to customers every day. Always keeping you on your toes and learning about cutting edge tech.

Cons

Competitive industry - aren't they all.

Advice to Management

Continue the fast pace of innovation to keep up with customer needs.

"Amazing Company with Great Energy"

I have been working at Sumo Logic full-time

Pros

Talented, Bright People
    Amazing Company Culture
    Work/Life Balance
    Makes decisions for future success, not just immediate success
    Top Notch Leadership - No egos - Very Humble

Cons

Growing VERY fast so you must be prepared for change

Advice to Management

You are setting an example for how leadership should look. Keep raising the bar and continue to stay humble

"Great company, a lot to accomplish still"

I have been working at Sumo Logic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-great people
    -product is really strong
    -brand grows every day
    -grow your skill set
    -ceo has made great board decisions

Cons

-brand recognition can be tough
    -the market can be crowded
    -platform is really easy to use but could be easier

Advice to Management

-keep focusing on right people
    -marketing investment
    -employees want ipo

"Fantastic startup to catapult your career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Sumo Logic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Well-rounded employees (smart and fun!)
    - Free lunch all week
    - Great culture
    - Great product
    - Good facilities

Cons

- Company growing quickly so starting to outgrow space

"SDR"

Current Employee - SDR in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - SDR in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Sumo Logic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been with the company for 9+ months and shocked to see some of the comments on here. This is what I have seen.

1) The culture is as good as people are saying. It's very diverse and nothing I have experienced before.

2) Some bad hires were made and they have done a good job on letting them go.

3) I have seen 5 SDR's get promoted since I have been here. All of them have been successful in their new position so far.

4)They feed you lunch every week and have different food trucks on Friday's.

5) Management has changed and the job is not as easy as it used to be. It was very laid back before and now people have to work. I don't have any issues with new management.

6) You can bring your dog into work.

7) Some really smart people and the CEO is approachable.

Cons

1) Level 1 pay is low.
    2) Having a lot of issues with the new tools we're using.
    3) The job is stressful but that's not really Sumo's fault.

Advice to Management

Keep promoting the top performers and don't let personal relationships get in the way. Increase level 1 pay. You can't live in CA with the money you make as a level 1.