Sumo Logic Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sumo Logic CEO Ramin Sayar
Ramin Sayar

Pros
  • Hight speed development, nice people, free lunch (in 17 reviews)

• Great work life balance - Leaders at all level put strong emphasis on this and treat every employee as an asset (in 7 reviews)

Cons

1. "Overall it's a good company and it's for full access of glass door so don't pay attention"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

Pros

Very good work situation there and some good food too

Cons

Sometimes work gets too much

Advice to Management

It's already alright

2. "Love this company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Sumo Logic (More than a year)

Pros

There's a lot of pros working at Sumo Logic..

-I enjoy my coworkers- everyone is smart and extremely helpful no matter what department you're interacting with.
    -The transparency- our E-staff is very open in regards to what's going on in the company, what to expect moving forward, things that we've changed and why, etc.
    -The product- we're truly revolutionizing the industry
    -Pet friendly office- it makes coming to work that much more enjoyable
    -Free food- it's delicious....except for some eat club days (tues, thurs)

Cons

There needs to be more of a communal area where we can interact with other departments- bring back the rock band, video games, and poker night. More events would be great too.

More nerf gun wars- Friday afternoons aren't as exciting without them.

Advice to Management

We're on the right path, let's keep going.

"Building for next phase - some can't continue on the ride"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Sumo Logic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am very pleased to see Senior Mgmt making a lot of well needed structural and organizational changes as we continue to evolve our GTM, product and engineering processes. The unfortunate reality is that some people who couldn't make this transition or didn't have the right attitude and will are not with us anymore. As such many of those are the ones with negative views and GD comments. Every company goes through different stages of change and growth and I am very pleased with the progress and opportunity to grow and develop at Sumo Logic.

Cons

Management should have earlier removed many negative people who focused more on pointing blame versus taking responsibility and working collaboratively...particularly in the inside sales team.

Advice to Management

Keep focused on driving the necessary changes and process improvements. We are very supportive and optimistic about the potential.

"High Velocity Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Pros

Extremely positive team dynamic. Good work-life balance. Plenty of resources available to get the" job done". Senior leadership curated from some of Silicon Valley's top companies. Great benefits.

Cons

Redwood City may be a bit low-key for some. Departmental identity crises may occur, although , nothing too distracting.

Advice to Management

Keep fighting the good fight. Stay tight with the vision for the greater org. Be sure to keep your technically focused leaders highly visible .

"The One and Only Review You Need to Read"

Current Employee - Corporate Account Executive in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate Account Executive in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Sumo Logic full-time

Pros

I have observed and experienced many changes over my time here. I’ve also observed a lot of recent negative reviews on Glassdoor but my passion for business propels me to spend some time and clear this up as best I can. I enjoy understanding and learning from the ins and outs and the wins and losses. I consider myself a “student always” of business and a key contributor/participant (as is every individual here) in a growing start-up. What I’m about to tell you is typical of a start-up with pressure to scale at this growth stage. You need to know this before you decide to interview here so your time is spent wisely with expectations set correctly. We are all owners of this company for a reason - because we contribute to the overall growth and wellbeing of where we work – because we are the type of people that look for that sense of accomplishment – because we look at challenges and see opportunity. So here it is; the one review you should read and forget about all the rest. Here is the truth:

The product will stay relevant now and will only gain more market share in the near-term and long-term. We are set-up for success in any macro economic condition as a consolidation tool in the current organizational shifts to the cloud and devops model. Our competitors are having trouble staying relevant without a ground level product overhaul because of legacy platforms not built for scale. Our competitors are afraid of Sumo Logic because of our focus on current and upcoming paradigm shifts in the market.

Sumo Logic is a start-up that has produced great success in a short amount of time. We made attempts to scale the sales organization very fast due to pressures of the market/investors where it’s common to see typically at this growth stage. Still, we continue to win deals because of the quality of our product but salespeople need to be good salespeople and sell the value as a business strategy. This can be difficult. While many sales reps have left, our numbers continue to increase.

Yes, the product is great, but this is a highly technical and complex sale. We are speaking, at times, to seasoned 30 year veterans in the engineering, security/compliance and IT space. They have survived because they continue to adapt to market changes. They are very careful with their decisions. They adopt new technology because it solves real pain but they don’t really know what they want/need (APM, Metrics, Logs, etc..). This same pain continues to happen over and over throughout their careers: The need for speed, agility, and cutting costs (many times the respective first two are synonymous with cost cutting and cutting costs requires speed and agility). This requires a certain level of business acumen from a macro strategy perspective. We are working with many groups within these organizations and an account executive must be well-versed enough to be able to provide advice to these groups to run their “machine” or product, challenge the organization to think in terms of a sense of growth and sustainability in their respective competitive markets, and provide a solution to solve challenges. From a micro-sales perspective, this is not an easy task.

I signed on with some heavy expectations from the company and no sales on-boarding process (which has since been implemented). It was tough, but I have that entrepreneurial, start-up mentality and I expected many speed bumps. I was fine with the autonomy. Maybe it’s not uncommon in Silicon Valley, but it seemed difficult to find these types of reps that we needed to have the ability to take soften the blows. If this is you, you should join us.

By the time president’s club awards came around, most of the reps hired in the middle of the year were still not ramped and hope lost its traction with opportunity fading away in the distance. Negative energy began to cultivate, rumors began to spread (no idea why but I guess misery loves company), and the domino affect of people leaving the company was a heavy burden on everyone here.

So here we are today, rebuilding the inside sales organization with some exciting new executive leaders. I am excited about the blueprint that has been recently laid out. We are now ready to ramp at the right pace with optimal processes in place. Still, our product keeps getting better and, no matter the sales rep, we continue to gain traction and market share. We have great people that have been here a long time that want this place to not only be successful, but equally so, an enjoyable work environment.

Personally, I love the environment and this type of sale propels career growth at an exponential pace. I feel like we can continue to improve our collaborative, teaming culture. I feel like we can always improve personal relationships within the company. I feel like we can all contribute to the growth/culture of this company in our own unique ways. Most importantly, there is a lot of opportunity here and I am excited to be a part of it. We will crush it and I’m not leaving any time soon.

Cons

There is a 1 year ramp (maybe 6 months for industry experts). This is a place where people with experience can excel. There are constant changes. There are many experiments going on to find the sweet spot.

Advice to Management

Learn from the past. Focus on culture and setting up everyone for success in order to cultivate a winning attitude that becomes contagious throughout the organization.

"Run by nerds, no processes to speak of, lack of leadership from senior management"

Former Employee - Marketing in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Sumo Logic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Free lunch
    - Everyone gets a high-end mac
    - Some parts of the work can be challenging and interesting

Cons

Where should I start?

- No processes to speak of
    - Everyone does their own thing, without any coordination
    - People who talk sense are either isolated, or worse, asked to leave
    - No work life balance. It's all work work and more work
    - Co-workers are not friendly at all
    - Proper training not provided to employees yet they are expected to somehow do magic
    - Inexperienced senior executives who cannot lead
    - India office that is run most unprofessionally and has more or less killed the most important part of the product
    - Product has inherent technical challenges
    - Takes too long to get anything meaningful into the product
    - Lack of focus on customer and too much on showbiz
    - Engineers tell me that all the work is maintening the service and not much of new software development
    - CTO who cannot stop himself using the f-word for more than 5 minutes even in public

and many many more.

Advice to Management

Get your act together before you blow all your cash. Hire a seasoned CEO, a professional CTO and close down your India office.

"Imploding AND in Denial"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Sumo Logic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunch, good product, great market

Cons

Terrible management, incompetent Sales leadership, no career development opportunities, employees and customers rate last on importance scale

Advice to Management

do more to retain good talent

"Good benefits, not so good management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Sumo Logic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get a macbook when you join. After 2 years working there, the macbook is yours.
    Free lunch, beers. games, and games.
    They know how to spend money for the employees.

Cons

Their management was not good, and losing lots of good engineers.

"The Good & the Bad"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Sumo Logic (More than a year)

Pros

Great People, great perks, great product.
    The speed at which things are happening is mind blowing!!!
    The people are the core reason why Sumo Logic is great. The tenured and newbies show energy & are all about making the right call.

Cons

Strategy & Direction need to be made more clearer.
    Attempting to change on a dime because someone thinks it one day is not a strategy.
    Keep your troops informed, motivate & aware.
    Keep hiring the best & get them to be better. Motivate, train, enable ALL Employees to be better at their craft.

Advice to Management

While you are trying to hit your triple, triple, double, double...it's not all about the number. It's about the people who get you to that number!!!
    Always think about the people who got you there.

"Love it here, but..."

Current Employee - Site Reliability Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Site Reliability Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Sumo Logic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great work/life balance.
    - Lots of free food.
    - Great people to spend 40-50 hours a week with.

Cons

- Career growth doesn't appear to really be important to the middle managers.
    - Hard to feel like you're contributing.
    - There's a small contingent of engineers that decide "this is what we're going to do, and no we don't need suggestions".

Advice to Management

Make sure individual contributors feel like they're actually contributing and not just shuffling through work assigned to them daily. Focus on career growth and helping your employees succeed instead of just micromanaging them.