Swinton Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

2.2
Swinton Insurance CEO Gilles Normand
Gilles Normand

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work / life balance - flexible hours (in 8 reviews)

• Great people, good work-life balance, excellent leadership, great location (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • policies is that calls overflow to them when the call centre is busy (in 16 reviews)

• huge branch closures and redundancies recently announced (in 11 reviews)

1. "Csa"

Current Employee - CSA in Manchester, NH
    Current Employee - CSA in Manchester, NH

I have been working at Swinton Insurance part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, good support, flexible hours. The work itself is very easy. They are very understanding to circumstances and there is opportunity to grow.

Cons

High pressure to achieve targets and customers can sometimes be a real hassle due to previous employees not resolving an issue.

Advice to Management

Listen to employers more

"Great ideas for future, poor implementation."

Current Employee - CSA in Branch, AR
    Current Employee - CSA in Branch, AR

I have been working at Swinton Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Contrary to many people's opinion insurance can be a very interesting industry. Uniform is provided. Recent pay rises mean the pending redundancy packages will be better for those losing their jobs.

Cons

Flex is not flexible it is dictated to us when we can take it. Holidays cannot be taken when required. Being forced to work late nights every week alone is not ideal. Knowledge and experience counts for nothing, encouraged by CM to be less helpful and involved with anything that doesn't involve a sale, contrary to the new culture of putting customer at heart of everything we do, sometimes feel totally inept due to poor processes, having customers in front of you and having to read many different scripts from scrappy pieces of paper lying around on your desk or taped to your monitor is unprofessional and makes you look incompetent as well as your desk looking scruffy. If you live far from Manchester very little career progression.

Advice to Management

Get rid of paper scripts and sort out the computer system, update the phone system with correct insurer names and tele numbers as not everyone knows ageas was fortis and covea was provident/mma, also add the new companies such as ocaso and co-op to the key pad, the quick dials don't seem to have ever been updated since we got them and most companies have transferred to 0345 numbers form 0845 which surely are cheaper for us to ring? Our phone bills must be one of out biggest expenditures so any small change to this could make a difference. Get rid of the awful management structure in place as having a TM and a CM and ADM as well is just too much. You ask us to be open and honest but I don't feel that you listen when we try to be.

Swinton Insurance Response

Feb 29, 2016 – Resourcing Operations Manager

Thank you for you feedback.

As part of improving the way we work at Swinton we’re encouraging feedback and we’re really keen to hear your insight about what’s working & what isn’t. Please could... More

"Changes"

Current Employee - Manager in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Swinton Insurance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Brave to make key decisions, looking to foster professional pride in the workplace.

Cons

However too many decisions involve too much bureaucracy, still not a complete customer orientated organisation as short term options always win.

Advice to Management

More emphasis on long term plans needed rather than pressing panic buttons on short term blips.

"Terrible Retention of loyal staff"

Former Employee - Head Office in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Head Office in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Swinton Insurance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

worked here for 8 years fantastic company for 5 until lost its way.

Cons

constant restructure, constant fear of losing your job, harsh management,

Advice to Management

understand you want new blood in to aid with growth but loyalty in your staff was and is priceless & key to a companies success, you have lost that.

5. "Brillient company to work for"

Former Employee - CSA in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - CSA in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Swinton Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work culture very supportive managers great working space lovely place and treating customer well and staff everyone like one big family

Cons

Split days of to many weekends to work can be very tiring better in house systems no day of for birthday

Advice to Management

Less split days of and scrap half day shifts and

"customer service associate"

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Norwich, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Norwich, England (UK)

I have been working at Swinton Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good team leaders
    generally flexible work pattern

Cons

very bad system usage Strata
    has different breakdown pricing for different customers even though same cover level and justifies it as "testing the market"
    terrible high up decisions losing the business money
    even worse fraudulent detection hundreds of fraudulent policies setup every day and can't release any information with actual homeowners who were fraudulently used as dpa infraction
    terrible quality system without being able to properly appeal and frankly they just add any new "guidance" without telling us a thing and just letting us "fail" for it

Advice to Management

listen to your people actually on the phones and stop reading from spreadsheets.
    stop ignoring your branches and going half job and only giving a few revamps
    actually fix your equipment and don't advertise flashy new contact centres then go make another centre redundant

"Unsecure"

Current Employee - QA Analyst in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)
    Current Employee - QA Analyst in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)

I have been working at Swinton Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people to work with and the new building in the City centre is very nice

Cons

Lots of miscommunication's and insecurity when it comes to job roles. Things seem to change every year and the board of directors make sweeping changes often. Lots of branches closing down and redundancies have been rife.

Advice to Management

talk to your people, listen and come back with an answer.

8. "Pretty Satisfied"

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)

I worked at Swinton Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Went out of their way to help with my Dyslexia,
    Opportunities to move within the company,
    Management take on board suggestions from workers,
    Friendly Atmosphere

Cons

More could be done to acknowledge the stress of the job on call handlers,
    Nepotism,
    Not always enough support for CSA's. I spent over a month without a Manager and had colleagues who spent longer without one,
    Home Insurance call handlers didn't have enough support

"Shambles at Swinton"

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Bournemouth, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Bournemouth, England (UK)

I worked at Swinton Insurance full-time

Pros

Colleagues
    Branch location (Was lucky enough to be able to walk to the branch)

Cons

Well, where do I start?
    Shocking system with no training given, apart from - heres online learning modules work through it in your own time whilst answering the phones and making sales. Brilliant training ethic. They then go and make the trainers they so desperately need redundant? You honestly can't make it up. The Company wonders why the call quality in branches is so poor, GIVE CSA'S DECENT TRAINING. The systems constantly crash resulting in more re work for CSA'S and piles of call backs, which are most of the time missed due to the further incoming calls which then lead to complaints, never ending cycle. There's no progression here, they're shutting branches down left right and centre giving the surviving branches more work with less people answering the phones for the same wage. Expectations are changed monthly maybe quarterly if you're lucky. Sometimes changed without anyone from above telling you. Bonus payouts are laughable as the top grades are so unachievable. Customers are no longer the companies priority, sort of a like it or leave it attitude. Swinton is now just a standard car and home broker, no specialist insurance means their USP is non existent. Customers now find it extremely hard to get in touch with their local office as the company have changed the way the phones work, so customers are being diverted all over the country with no idea who they're speaking to. This then falls on the branches with the amount of complaints we face because of this. Swinton are losing so much of their book its easy to say that the branch network will be a thing of the past very soon, they need to review the rates they use for policies as they cannot compete against their online competitors. They are now training the folks up in the call centre's to do what we do in the branch ready for further closures. Swinton was a good place to work a few years ago but that has sadly changed. The mood in the branches is at an all time low with loyal and decent staff leaving at an alarming rate.

Advice to Management

Listen to CSA'S. Go into branches, see how they are feeling. Get a real feel for the job that they do. Rather than just sat in an office pushing pens thinking of ways to line pockets.

"Going down the pan!"

Current Employee - CSA
    Current Employee - CSA

I have been working at Swinton Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are no pros at present!

Cons

The worst bonus structure I have ever experienced!
    Had a monthly bonus, switched to quarterly and now switched to half yearly....I have came out with less than I used to get a MONTH and that is supposed to be a 6 monthly reward! Disgusting! I hope the board are proud of themselves!

Advice to Management

Reward your staff and don't line your own pockets for a change!