Swinton Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Swinton Insurance CEO Gilles Normand
Gilles Normand

Pros
  • Great work / life balance - flexible hours (in 8 reviews)

• Great people, good work-life balance, excellent leadership, great location (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • policies is that calls overflow to them when the call centre is busy (in 12 reviews)

• It's a greedy company with no concept of customer service (in 10 reviews)

1. "Csa"

Current Employee - CSA in Manchester, NH
    Current Employee - CSA in Manchester, NH

I have been working at Swinton Insurance part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, good support, flexible hours. The work itself is very easy. They are very understanding to circumstances and there is opportunity to grow.

Cons

High pressure to achieve targets and customers can sometimes be a real hassle due to previous employees not resolving an issue.

Advice to Management

Listen to employers more

"Great ideas for future, poor implementation."

Current Employee - CSA in Branch, AR
    Current Employee - CSA in Branch, AR

I have been working at Swinton Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Contrary to many people's opinion insurance can be a very interesting industry. Uniform is provided. Recent pay rises mean the pending redundancy packages will be better for those losing their jobs.

Cons

Flex is not flexible it is dictated to us when we can take it. Holidays cannot be taken when required. Being forced to work late nights every week alone is not ideal. Knowledge and experience counts for nothing, encouraged by CM to be less helpful and involved with anything that doesn't involve a sale, contrary to the new culture of putting customer at heart of everything we do, sometimes feel totally inept due to poor processes, having customers in front of you and having to read many different scripts from scrappy pieces of paper lying around on your desk or taped to your monitor is unprofessional and makes you look incompetent as well as your desk looking scruffy. If you live far from Manchester very little career progression.

Advice to Management

Get rid of paper scripts and sort out the computer system, update the phone system with correct insurer names and tele numbers as not everyone knows ageas was fortis and covea was provident/mma, also add the new companies such as ocaso and co-op to the key pad, the quick dials don't seem to have ever been updated since we got them and most companies have transferred to 0345 numbers form 0845 which surely are cheaper for us to ring? Our phone bills must be one of out biggest expenditures so any small change to this could make a difference. Get rid of the awful management structure in place as having a TM and a CM and ADM as well is just too much. You ask us to be open and honest but I don't feel that you listen when we try to be.

Feb 29, 2016 – Resourcing Operations Manager

Thank you for you feedback. As part of improving the way we work at Swinton we’re encouraging feedback and we’re really keen to hear your insight about what’s working & what isn’t. Please could ... More

"No clear bonus structure"

Current Employee - CSA in Cardiff, Wales (UK)
    Current Employee - CSA in Cardiff, Wales (UK)

I have been working at Swinton Insurance full-time

Pros

great managers that provide support at every step
    amazing work colleagues along with great area manager who is clear honest and open with us (SF)
    systems are now incredible after expected teething problems

Cons

no clear guidance on what to aim for regarding half yearly bonus
    no understanding of tiers and where you fall within the grades
    higher management have no idea how branch members feel
    no job progression opportunities

Advice to Management

higher management only - Actually carry out promises made as employees are not made to feel valuable, due to redundancies and scary times this year provide an uplifting event to celebrate company progression use the 60th anniversary as an opportunity to give back to the staff who work hard as this will lift moral in many many areas and will benefit us all. don't always let it be business let a little bit of fun into the company too
    make the bonus structure clearer as no body knows what tier they stand in at the moment or what to work towards to get a higher grade. we need a set structure that really is not provided at this moment in time.

"Redundancy is Imminent"

Current Employee - Associate Advisor in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Associate Advisor in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I have been working at Swinton Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Relaxed, Friendly, Local, Good sense of community amongst staff, Varied Work and Decent Benefits Package.

Cons

At risk of redundancy - not done with a personal touch - savage and very quick cuts.

Advice to Management

Don't forget your identity!!

May 8, 2017 – Social Media Manager

Thank you very much for your feedback. The recent announcement regarding redundancies has been very challenging and we understand if you feel you need more support. Everyone should have had a meeting ... More

"Great PLace great people"

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Wakefield, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Wakefield, England (UK)

I have been working at Swinton Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Place to work and great branch team like a family

Cons

None really get to meet new people each day and work with a great team

"Hellish time at Swinton"

Current Employee - CSA in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Swinton Insurance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The only positive thing that I can really think of is that there is flexibility which is great for my needs. Also, the team that I work with are brilliant. And the manager is supportive of all of us.

Cons

Well where do I start on this....after having worked for Swinton for nearly 10 years. The board at Swinton are still not provided transparency to all us CSA's. We have to read between the lines and draw our own conclusions. Redundancies were swift and harsh. Without the option of offering VR to those that may have wanted it. Which in turn could have allowed others to stay without having to go through compulsory redundancy.
    The branches are quiet with calls far and few between. The prices of our policies nearly almost always are more than our competitors. Whereas before we could possibly say we are a high street branch. All we can say is go online and go for the cheaper quote that Swinton are offering online. And we can not proactively say 'did you want me to set up the policy for you' after they have had the online quote.
    Renewals have been taken away and the out dated way we call our leads with little or no success.
    Why can't we have liability, caravan, motorcycles back in the office
    We once were a good company. Now we are a company in disarray.
    When was the last pulse survey commissioned. Are Swinton worried what the feedback would be.
    Transparency is the key, be upfront and none of this cloak and dagger attitude.

Advice to Management

Be honest and truthful.

8. "Good employer, scary time for the business"

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager (CSM)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager (CSM)

I worked at Swinton Insurance (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, flexible hours and good company values and culture

Cons

Massive pressures on results due to demanding industry and customers more and more shunning branches and going online.

"Not Safe"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Swinton Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Erm............I'm still employed, just! The new building looks nice

Cons

Swinton insurance is not a safe place to work. Been there three years and constantly under threat of losing my position.
    No pay increase for three years!
    Constantly forcing you to do more work for the same money!
    New staff come with higher salaries and are less skilled.

Advice to Management

Equal pay would be nice please.

May 8, 2017 – Social Media Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We understand that the current consultation process is difficult, however it has been necessary to help manage the transition as we reshape to meet the changing needs of ... More

"After many years loving my job and giving 100% to be successful its been ended by redundancy"

I have been working at Swinton Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pros have been frozen like Strata . I cant find the pros as my clients are upset that the branch will be gone.

Cons

How can you give us motivation speeches and town hall meetings which had given myself the feeling so positive for the future to have been pulled from under me. Open and honest umm let me come back to you Swinton on that one !!!!

Advice to Management

You have made mistakes in the past and staff have backed the team but I cant express enough how this has hurt. Good bye what more can I say :(

"It's been, still is and will continue to be a hard slog...."

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Swinton Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of work to do. Committed to the success of the business. Hard working.

Cons

Change, change, change, change, change, change and more change.

Advice to Management

Provide consistent support, guidance and treatment.

Apr 21, 2017 – Resource Advisor

Thank you for the great feedback – it’s always good to hear colleagues’ positive experiences of working at Swinton and we appreciate the time you’ve taken to leave this review.