Swinton Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

2.1
Swinton Insurance CEO Gilles Normand
Gilles Normand

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "They are very flexible in work/life balance" (in 10 reviews)

• "great people to work with, we all worked as a team" (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "This toxic attitude along with a senior management team’s constant lies will be what drives the company into the abyss" (in 20 reviews)

• "policies is that calls overflow to them when the call centre is busy" (in 16 reviews)

1. "Csa"

Current Employee - CSA in Manchester, NH
    Current Employee - CSA in Manchester, NH

I have been working at Swinton Insurance part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, good support, flexible hours. The work itself is very easy. They are very understanding to circumstances and there is opportunity to grow.

Cons

High pressure to achieve targets and customers can sometimes be a real hassle due to previous employees not resolving an issue.

Advice to Management

Listen to employers more

"Great ideas for future, poor implementation."

Current Employee - CSA in Branch, AR
    Current Employee - CSA in Branch, AR

I have been working at Swinton Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Contrary to many people's opinion insurance can be a very interesting industry. Uniform is provided. Recent pay rises mean the pending redundancy packages will be better for those losing their jobs.

Cons

Flex is not flexible it is dictated to us when we can take it. Holidays cannot be taken when required. Being forced to work late nights every week alone is not ideal. Knowledge and experience counts for nothing, encouraged by CM to be less helpful and involved with anything that doesn't involve a sale, contrary to the new culture of putting customer at heart of everything we do, sometimes feel totally inept due to poor processes, having customers in front of you and having to read many different scripts from scrappy pieces of paper lying around on your desk or taped to your monitor is unprofessional and makes you look incompetent as well as your desk looking scruffy. If you live far from Manchester very little career progression.

Advice to Management

Get rid of paper scripts and sort out the computer system, update the phone system with correct insurer names and tele numbers as not everyone knows ageas was fortis and covea was provident/mma, also add the new companies such as ocaso and co-op to the key pad, the quick dials don't seem to have ever been updated since we got them and most companies have transferred to 0345 numbers form 0845 which surely are cheaper for us to ring? Our phone bills must be one of out biggest expenditures so any small change to this could make a difference. Get rid of the awful management structure in place as having a TM and a CM and ADM as well is just too much. You ask us to be open and honest but I don't feel that you listen when we try to be.

Feb 29, 2016 – Resourcing Operations Manager

Thank you for you feedback.

As part of improving the way we work at Swinton we’re encouraging feedback and we’re really keen to hear your insight about what’s working & what isn’t. Please could... More

3. "More changes due at Swinton"

Current Employee - Team Manager in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Team Manager in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Swinton Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Progressive outlook, always aiming to improve things for customers. Staff bonus paid even when profit objective not met.

Cons

Sometimes too many stakeholders try different things to improve things when perhaps a longer term relaxed approach may be better.

Advice to Management

Remember how much teams have had to deal with over past few years, be easy on your demands.

"Customer Assistance Employee"

Current Employee - Complaint Lead in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Complaint Lead in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Swinton Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some decent people remain, salary, hours and flexability all ok.

Cons

No plan or vision. Good people being driven out and an HR dept that couldn't care less about it's people.

Advice to Management

Listen to staff. They are leaving in droves for a reason.

5. "Manchester Office"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Swinton Insurance (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice Office
    SOME decent people remain, despite wanting out

Cons

Clicky leadership- If your face fits. It doesnt matter how good a job you do

Advice to Management

None- they wouldn't listen

"Okayish"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)

I have been working at Swinton Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Flexible work pattern after probation
    - Friendly work colleagues

Cons

- Not a regular bonus, and may be removed
    - Managers can too often be cliquey
    - Too many processes to follow to meet compliance
    - Progression is very limited

Advice to Management

Provide a clear path for progression, it is not all about the salary but work satisfaction.

7. "Sales executive"

I worked at Swinton Insurance full-time

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Communicate was very poor

Advice to Management

Tell people what was going on

Nov 1, 2018 – Social Media Manager

Hi, we work hard to make sure all our colleagues are kept up to date with developments and plans across the business, either through iLink or local briefings. We are sorry that you did not feel you... More

"Employee number not name"

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Colchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Colchester, England (UK)

I worked at Swinton Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The office was a stones throw away from my address. Manager was evil. Company is a joke

Cons

All staff are treated horrendously. The business is going internet based and so getting shot of all loyal hard working members isn’t going down well. Pay is disgusting. Poor time off. Forced to sell rubbish policies like home emergency!!

Advice to Management

Get out while you can

Hi,

We are really sorry to hear that you feel unhappy with behaviour at Swinton. We expect high standards of behaviour and professionalism from all our colleagues with no exceptions. If you would... More

"Terrible company"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Torquay, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Torquay, England (UK)

I worked at Swinton Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The customers were all pretty good

Cons

Long hours , bad pay , no respect for staff The two managers I had were terrible and did nothing , double standards , I complained as did many others but they closed ranks . Basically they just do not care unless you are a manager who they believe every word .My ex colleagues all had bad experiences and were or are never listened too ! .My ex manager spent most of her day on her mobile phone on dating sites barking out instruction to answer the phone if you dared to go to the toilet !

Horrendous place to work .

I worked for the company for many years and my last manager was a total Joke , how she got the job I will never know . She had zero people skills and asked the staff to help her with any task her manager gave her and then took the credit .I do actually believe she was the most unintelligent person I’ve ever met .She used her authority to do what she wanted , total unprofessional .She spent most of her day on her mobile on dating sites and chatting to anyone about everything but work , her friends and other managers , usually total rubbish , which we had to endure ! so humoured her .she was late 3 out of 5 days and NEVER got into trouble but was quick to fudge evidence to stitch up staff when the figures were not going well . She manipulated management which was easy as they rarely visit branches and have know idea what goes on .All the staff disliked her and nothing was ever done , the upper management sweep everything the staff say under the carpet but believe every word the branch manager says .They make people feel ill and have no respect or care for staff , this is a constant theme from many employees I’ve known over the years .Worst company I’ve ever worked for and treated me and others very badly or should I say the supposed manager who was in charge of us did !

Advice to Management

Look at the branch managers who do absolutely nothing for twice the pay of the staff and take all the credit .its rife they all stick together , chatting on the phone , taking liberties with time and double standards towards staff , I should know I put up with two terrible managers for 6 years .

Hi,

We are really sorry to hear about your experience and would like to speak to you further about this. We expect high standards of behaviour and professionalism from all our colleagues with no... More

"Not as described at Interview!"

Former Employee - CSA in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - CSA in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Swinton Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice office and initial training was good.

Cons

Seems very clicky. Other CSA's desperate to leave. Mentor was rude.

Nov 1, 2018 – Social Media Manager

Hi, we're sorry that you felt your job was not as described. Did you speak to anyone about the mentor? If not we would like to discuss this with you to see if there is any action we can take. Please... More