Swinton Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

2.1
Swinton Insurance CEO Gilles Normand
Gilles Normand

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "They are very flexible in work/life balance" (in 10 reviews)

• "great people to work with, we all worked as a team" (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "policies is that calls overflow to them when the call centre is busy" (in 16 reviews)

• "Head office location not the easiest to get to" (in 15 reviews)

1. "Csa"

Current Employee - CSA in Manchester, NH
    Current Employee - CSA in Manchester, NH

I have been working at Swinton Insurance part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, good support, flexible hours. The work itself is very easy. They are very understanding to circumstances and there is opportunity to grow.

Cons

High pressure to achieve targets and customers can sometimes be a real hassle due to previous employees not resolving an issue.

Advice to Management

Listen to employers more

"Great ideas for future, poor implementation."

Current Employee - CSA in Branch, AR
    Current Employee - CSA in Branch, AR

I have been working at Swinton Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Contrary to many people's opinion insurance can be a very interesting industry. Uniform is provided. Recent pay rises mean the pending redundancy packages will be better for those losing their jobs.

Cons

Flex is not flexible it is dictated to us when we can take it. Holidays cannot be taken when required. Being forced to work late nights every week alone is not ideal. Knowledge and experience counts for nothing, encouraged by CM to be less helpful and involved with anything that doesn't involve a sale, contrary to the new culture of putting customer at heart of everything we do, sometimes feel totally inept due to poor processes, having customers in front of you and having to read many different scripts from scrappy pieces of paper lying around on your desk or taped to your monitor is unprofessional and makes you look incompetent as well as your desk looking scruffy. If you live far from Manchester very little career progression.

Advice to Management

Get rid of paper scripts and sort out the computer system, update the phone system with correct insurer names and tele numbers as not everyone knows ageas was fortis and covea was provident/mma, also add the new companies such as ocaso and co-op to the key pad, the quick dials don't seem to have ever been updated since we got them and most companies have transferred to 0345 numbers form 0845 which surely are cheaper for us to ring? Our phone bills must be one of out biggest expenditures so any small change to this could make a difference. Get rid of the awful management structure in place as having a TM and a CM and ADM as well is just too much. You ask us to be open and honest but I don't feel that you listen when we try to be.

Feb 29, 2016 – Resourcing Operations Manager

Thank you for you feedback.

As part of improving the way we work at Swinton we’re encouraging feedback and we’re really keen to hear your insight about what’s working & what isn’t. Please could... More

"Great people, but job not for those who have't worked in a call center\insurance broker before."

Former Employee - CSA - Customer Service Associate in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - CSA - Customer Service Associate in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Swinton Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked with an amazing team of supportive people.

Cons

Lured in with advertised "Customer Services" job advert, actual job was "Inbound Sales".

Insufficient training, i.e. two weeks in a class room being taught to do things one way, then two weeks "mentoring" where they tell you to do a completely different way.

Class room portion was rushed, and they seemed to be more interested in getting "e-learning" done, even though some of it was either outdated or irrelevant to the job. And then, getting you on the phones as fast as possible, to cover for "low service levels" due to most of the experienced staff apparently being on holiday all at the same time, then they were in training you to do the job right.

There also seemed to be a heavy focus on "up-selling", they call it "up-serving" to customers despite the fact that they're not supposed to, i.e. pushing brake-down cover and other optional (i.e. the more\most expensive packages with all the "optional, extra's" to people who really don't need them and probably can't really afford them. For example, a retired person who rarely uses their car asking for just basic fully comp cover so they are legal to drive when they need to, being prodded into the more expensive packages by CSA's.

Also, different departments seem to not know what they are doing, I was a new start, I was only supposed to get new business calls but the IT guys didn’t seem to have set my phone up right, the number of calls I got for Mid Term Adjustments and Cancellations, and other things that I hadn't been trained for yet was ludicrous.

Advice to Management

, 1. Be honest when recruiting, don't misrepresent what you want potential new employee's to do. And when interviewing them make sure they understand what os expected of them, i.e. shift\rota, that the job is sales etc.

2. Advertise for "experienced" staff if that's what you really need.

3. Revamp training process to make sure new starters actually know what they need to do and how to do it -- quality over quantity! And don't put them on the phones until you are 100% certain they are ready for the pressure and can do the job compitantly.

4.Try to rework shift patters, i.e. have the full time staff working 8:30 - 4:30 Mon-Fri, so they actually have a life outside of work and have the temp staff, who are only doing 16 hours working the late and weekend shifts.

5. Management need to set a course and stick to it, stop changing direction what seems like ever five minutes, for example making arbitrary goals for increased\decreased sales of different packages.

4. "The grass is definitely greener"

Former Employee - CSM
    Former Employee - CSM

I worked at Swinton Insurance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Made lifelong friends
    Completed insurance exams

Cons

Flexi time is more business needs than personal needs.
    Too many middle management
    Unrealistic targets / expectations
    The fear of closure was always there

Advice to Management

Be honest with your agenda

"One of the best companies I have ever worked for!!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Swinton Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Fantastic new building with great facilities such as tea and coffee (its the little things that count)
    -Head of Contact Centre is always visiable and really does have an open door policy!
    -You know what is expected of you!
    -Lots of training.....
    -Lots of development acitvity
    -Real focus on the customer!

Cons

-Nothing that you dont have at any company! I recenlty moved from another business....I can honestly say the grass is greener here!!!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

"Dreadful place to work"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Leeds, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at Swinton Insurance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

None, nothing, absolutely nothing, f all.

Cons

Management, pay, lack of bonus.

Advice to Management

Micro management is the worst type of management. Try listening to your employees and working within the law ie mental health issues.

"Not the place to go to - don’t leave a perm role to come here"

Current Employee - Support Services in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Support Services in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Swinton Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Genuinely nice people, but won’t have the chance to succeed

Cons

Pay disparity
    Can’t make real changes
    Board visibility is low, the have a plan (which they won’t share) and if you don’t fit it won’t work.
    Whole business disjointed and siloed.
    No induction or best practice for new employees, work done on whim of board decisions regardless of other input.
    Poor development opps.
    No learning from mistakes.

Advice to Management

Unless radical change at Exco/senior level you will continue to lose trust. Majority of people waiting for redundancy or are a contractor

"‘CSA’"

Former Employee - CSA - Customer Service Associate in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - CSA - Customer Service Associate in London, England (UK)

I worked at Swinton Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are none at all.

Cons

Micro managed by managers who don’t know how to do the job. Would watch every movement on their screen whilst you sit there working like a dog. My problem was the management in the branch. The company was okay. To many changes and rubbish system. Even having to read from sheets of paper sometimes. Salary’s also vary massively between employees for no reason at all.

9. "Customer Service Associate"

I have been working at Swinton Insurance full-time

Pros

- Okay pay
    - Good training
    - Friendly atmosphere

Cons

- Occasional lack of communication within the business

May 24, 2018 – Social Media Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We would suggest your raise the issue about communication with your line manager, or alternatively if you would prefer not to, you can call us directly 0161 233 3850 and... More

"Terrible... Just terrible."

Current Employee - Sales in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Swinton Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast paced and busy. New contact centre manager is lovely and engaging. Great office with floor to ceiling windows.

Cons

Treated like kids. Treated like cattle. YOU ARE JUST A NUMBER. It doesn't matter how old you are, you will be made to feel like a little child. There is a team of people whose job it is to make sure you go on your breaks on time, get back of your breaks on time, log in on time, log out on time, don't spend too much time off the phone. Now, I understand the need for this but this team of people (Minus two lads who have been promoted from within Swinton) speak to you like rubbish. They are petty towards everyone and do not show any empathy to anyone but themselves... And these are the people that you need to ring if you're sick... they WILL ask you questions that you do NOT want to answer that is very personal. They WILL ask you to come into work anyway and they WILL get you to explain why you are not healthy enough to come into work.

Next subject, changes. Over the time I have worked at swinton, there has been changes on a monthly basis. I have always rolled with it. However, they're now introducing a new 'one method suits all' approach to how we deal with customers. It is cheesey. It doesn't work for evey employee. It doesn't work for every customer. It doesn't work for every situation. BUT that DOESN'T matter. You will have to do it or you will be IP'd out of the business. Truth is, I get fantastic feedback from customers, but that doesn't matter... it is now 'my way or the high way'.

Another subject, HOLIDAYS! We all like to take holidays, don't we? Well, good luck with that. Yes, they do say that there is plenty of availability for EVERYBODY to take their holidays over the year. That may be true, but don't expect to be going on a 2 week holiday... or even a WEEK holiday for that matter. You're looking to get two or three days off in a row, and they will not approve any holidays if they get denied, it DOESN'T MATTER if you've already booked your holiday, you can just disapoint your whole family and unbook it.

Pay. Pay is not great. Pay is not terrible. Expect around a 1% payrise every six years. Also, your 'bonus' is based on 'how well' swinton group does. It is rarely above 60% of what you expect.

ROTA - You are supposed to have your shifts 12 weeks in advance. Good luck with that. Expect to know only 4 weeks in advance and that is subject to change.

Yes I have been here for a while. Yes it hasn't always been THIS bad. Yes I have had to remain very positive to stay in this job. But enough is enough, this is affecting my mental wellbeing.

There are a few opportunities to progress, but you should be prepared to brown nose yourself to further heights.

Advice to Management

Beyond repair as far as I can see. Too much to do. Can you turn all my cons into pros? I doubt it.

Jun 6, 2018 – Social Media Manager

Hi, thank you for your feedback.

We are sorry that you are unhappy at Swinton, we can see that you have a number of issues that you would like to address. If you feel uncomfortable talking to... More