Swinton Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

2.1
Swinton Insurance CEO Gilles Normand
Gilles Normand

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They are very flexible in work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

• great people to work with, we all worked as a team (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • policies is that calls overflow to them when the call centre is busy (in 16 reviews)

• Head office location not the easiest to get to (in 15 reviews)

1. "Csa"

Current Employee - CSA in Manchester, NH
    Current Employee - CSA in Manchester, NH

I have been working at Swinton Insurance part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, good support, flexible hours. The work itself is very easy. They are very understanding to circumstances and there is opportunity to grow.

Cons

High pressure to achieve targets and customers can sometimes be a real hassle due to previous employees not resolving an issue.

Advice to Management

Listen to employers more

"Great ideas for future, poor implementation."

Current Employee - CSA in Branch, AR
    Current Employee - CSA in Branch, AR

I have been working at Swinton Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Contrary to many people's opinion insurance can be a very interesting industry. Uniform is provided. Recent pay rises mean the pending redundancy packages will be better for those losing their jobs.

Cons

Flex is not flexible it is dictated to us when we can take it. Holidays cannot be taken when required. Being forced to work late nights every week alone is not ideal. Knowledge and experience counts for nothing, encouraged by CM to be less helpful and involved with anything that doesn't involve a sale, contrary to the new culture of putting customer at heart of everything we do, sometimes feel totally inept due to poor processes, having customers in front of you and having to read many different scripts from scrappy pieces of paper lying around on your desk or taped to your monitor is unprofessional and makes you look incompetent as well as your desk looking scruffy. If you live far from Manchester very little career progression.

Advice to Management

Get rid of paper scripts and sort out the computer system, update the phone system with correct insurer names and tele numbers as not everyone knows ageas was fortis and covea was provident/mma, also add the new companies such as ocaso and co-op to the key pad, the quick dials don't seem to have ever been updated since we got them and most companies have transferred to 0345 numbers form 0845 which surely are cheaper for us to ring? Our phone bills must be one of out biggest expenditures so any small change to this could make a difference. Get rid of the awful management structure in place as having a TM and a CM and ADM as well is just too much. You ask us to be open and honest but I don't feel that you listen when we try to be.

Feb 29, 2016 – Resourcing Operations Manager

Thank you for you feedback.

As part of improving the way we work at Swinton we’re encouraging feedback and we’re really keen to hear your insight about what’s working & what isn’t. Please could... More

"Csa"

Former Employee - CSA - Customer Service Associate in Preston, North West England, England (UK)

I worked at Swinton Insurance part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Formed life long friendships. The best people to work with ever. Helpful and supportive.

Cons

The news tells the story of the demise of this company. Taken over by new management structure three years ago with no regard to their employees, far more interested in Manchester pride, diversity and becoming top of gay community awards.
    They have destroyed a wonderful company.

Advice to Management

What goes round comes round, hopefully.

Apr 26, 2018 – Social Media Manager

Thank you for your feedback. The changes at Swinton are part of a review of how we operate. This has meant we needed to make some difficult decisions to ensure that we can bring the appropriate... More

"Not for me"

Former Employee - CSA - Customer Service Associate in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - CSA - Customer Service Associate in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Swinton Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Dont really have any as the job was not for me

Cons

Shifts are terrible, no work life balance, the job could drive you crazy.

Advice to Management

Manage more proatively

Apr 26, 2018 – Social Media Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry the role was not for you. If you would like to discuss any of the issues you raise any further please call us on 0161 233 3850.

Thanks, the Swinton team.

5. "Great People mismatched management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)

I have been working at Swinton Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great front line staff who have the desire and will to deliver the correct outcomes for customers.
    Fantastic new city centre location.
    For non customer facing teams there is a great appropch to agile working that allows for a good work life balance.

Cons

The senior management team are not very visable, and are far removed from the realities of daily activities and challenges faced. Whilst there is a huge emphasis on IT development we still cannot seem to get this right. Departments tend to work in silo's rather than a collective unit.

Advice to Management

Invest in IT that works and supports front line staff and spend time with them to understand there needs before employing consultants to make changes.
    Be more visable and approachable, the open door policy does not work.
    Too many departments do not know what one another are working on and as such we see a duplication of work. Lets work smarter not harder.

"happy for now"

I have been working at Swinton Insurance full-time

Pros

the branch i work in has a great team of people, full training was given when i started, realistic sales targets, positive charity contribution, equality.

Cons

lots of duplication of tasks, restructuring ongoing at the moment so no job security. thought the last wave of redundancy would solve the problem but less than 4 months and here we are again.

7. "Great place however.."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)

I have been working at Swinton Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing managers who support you,no stress
    You can get on with your work :D
    Everyone is extremely nice and everyone is always smiling

Cons

:( When recuriting you told NO TARGETS.
    This is incorrect alot of targets on new business around 6 different targets,also there is wrap time (you are told during training,interview stage there isnt).

Advice to Management

None.
    All wonderful

"No idea how to get to a viable business"

I have been working at Swinton Insurance full-time

Pros

Great new location
    People know what needs to happen and do their best for customers

Cons

Failed business model - most business comes from price comparison sites that make more than Swinton.
    Snr management and Exco make numbers up to keep French happy but not realistic

Advice to Management

Focus on doing few things well rather than trying to too much badly.

Apr 26, 2018 – Social Media Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We are making a number of changes within Swinton based on customer demand.

Like any business, we will continually review our operating model to ensure that we... More

"Only a matter of time before it’s one BIG call centre!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Sutton, South Yorkshire, Yorkshire and the Humber, England (UK)

I worked at Swinton Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Colleagues and my direct line manager any other pros have disappeared gradually over the years from constant changes to the bonus scheme. Now no matter how well you perform if other departments don’t deliver overall objectives you will not get a bonus at all.

Cons

Non existent “bonus”, lies from Exco team, promises of clarity and improved engagement then no communications for months especially in times of crisis redundancies/branch closure. They only invest in head office call centre in Manchester all other areas of the business left on its knees with terrible systems, crumbling offices that they can’t wait to close/sell.

Advice to Management

Put up or shut up either put loyal staff out of their misery or act on engagement survey feedback

Apr 26, 2018 – Social Media Manager

Thank you for your feedback. If you would like to discuss any of the issues you raise any further please call us on 0161 233 3850. We value our colleagues and would like to discuss your experience... More

"This place is failing!!!!"

I have been working at Swinton Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people within the business.

Cons

Management seem very secretive and quite frankly out of their depth! Hopefully this review will force much needed improvement!!

Advice to Management

The staff do not believe your rhetoric, I mean lies!!! As we know that your jobs are also unsafe!!

Apr 26, 2018 – Social Media Manager

Thank you for your feedback.

The review of how we operate has meant we needed to make some difficult decisions to ensure that we can bring the appropriate levels of service to all of our... More