Swinton Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

2.1
Swinton Insurance CEO Gilles Normand
Gilles Normand

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "They are very flexible in work/life balance" (in 12 reviews)

• "great people to work with, we all worked as a team" (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "Senior management driving there agendas" (in 20 reviews)

• "policies is that calls overflow to them when the call centre is busy" (in 16 reviews)

1. "Good support"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Timbuctoo, NJ
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Timbuctoo, NJ

I have been working at Swinton Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

*More transparency than in the past.
    *Working conditions much improved, no longer asking for longer hours or huge pressure targets and the bullying/threats that used to accompany them.
    *Support whilst preparing for redundancy which has been a big help.

Cons

*Systems still not great two years in.
    *Moderation is an ever moving target and alters to fit whatever the current narrative is.
    *Objectives set but calls forwarded to branches are 75% service calls (ie usually the complex stuff) and only 14% sales calls in which to hit objectives ?
    *Not convinced the big change in direction from branch to digital has worked (and those responsible have since moved on) judging by latest company figures, but it’s too late to go back.
    *Lack of general insurance technical knowledge, most of the knowledge is in the branches and lacking in other areas (which I suspect is why branches are still open and getting the bulk of service calls, rather than straightforward renewals or quotes).

Advice to Management

*Keep treating branch staff right and we will keep doing our best until we are no longer required.
    *Objectives need to be smarter if performing above peer group, but still receive a middling score then that says the objectives are not realistic.

2. "Csa"

Current Employee - CSA in Manchester, NH
    Current Employee - CSA in Manchester, NH

I have been working at Swinton Insurance part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, good support, flexible hours. The work itself is very easy. They are very understanding to circumstances and there is opportunity to grow.

Cons

High pressure to achieve targets and customers can sometimes be a real hassle due to previous employees not resolving an issue.

Advice to Management

Listen to employers more

"Great ideas for future, poor implementation."

Current Employee - CSA in Branch, AR
    Current Employee - CSA in Branch, AR

I have been working at Swinton Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Contrary to many people's opinion insurance can be a very interesting industry. Uniform is provided. Recent pay rises mean the pending redundancy packages will be better for those losing their jobs.

Cons

Flex is not flexible it is dictated to us when we can take it. Holidays cannot be taken when required. Being forced to work late nights every week alone is not ideal. Knowledge and experience counts for nothing, encouraged by CM to be less helpful and involved with anything that doesn't involve a sale, contrary to the new culture of putting customer at heart of everything we do, sometimes feel totally inept due to poor processes, having customers in front of you and having to read many different scripts from scrappy pieces of paper lying around on your desk or taped to your monitor is unprofessional and makes you look incompetent as well as your desk looking scruffy. If you live far from Manchester very little career progression.

Advice to Management

Get rid of paper scripts and sort out the computer system, update the phone system with correct insurer names and tele numbers as not everyone knows ageas was fortis and covea was provident/mma, also add the new companies such as ocaso and co-op to the key pad, the quick dials don't seem to have ever been updated since we got them and most companies have transferred to 0345 numbers form 0845 which surely are cheaper for us to ring? Our phone bills must be one of out biggest expenditures so any small change to this could make a difference. Get rid of the awful management structure in place as having a TM and a CM and ADM as well is just too much. You ask us to be open and honest but I don't feel that you listen when we try to be.

Swinton Insurance Response

Feb 29, 2016 – Resourcing Operations Manager

Thank you for you feedback.

As part of improving the way we work at Swinton we’re encouraging feedback and we’re really keen to hear your insight about what’s working & what isn’t. Please could... More

4. "Good place"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Manchester, England (UK)

Pros

Nice people To be around, good pay

Cons

Management didn’t care too much

Advice to Management

Care more about your employees

"Care for staff members and Whistleblowing is a shambles."

Current Employee - Branch Assistant in Redditch, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Branch Assistant in Redditch, England (UK)

I have been working at Swinton Insurance (More than a year)

Pros

I left too long ago to give a frank opinion and have heard from so many people the company has changed beyond recognition that it is impossible for me to honestly say.

Cons

Whistleblowing was a joke. I had an issue with a member of staff hanging up on customers, falling asleep at the back of the branch, arguing with members of staff for "fun", unwanted physical contact on myself (lets say he was very hands on with me) and making the place very uncomfortable to work in. I blew the whistle (more about not helping customers than anything else) and nothing happened. He figured out it was me and then made the place incredibly uncomfortable to work in again. My last day in branch was December 23rd and I worked late to finish up for christmas. All my private and confidential notes that were taken during my meeting with my cluster manager were left on the table for all to see making my position impossible to carry on with. Due to the stress of this I was put onto sickness until I had to resign my position. To this day no one has got in touch with me from Swinton to discuss how I felt despite numerous attempts at contact.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff

"If you want to live on death row it's the place for you"

Current Employee - CSA - Customer Service Associate
    Current Employee - CSA - Customer Service Associate

I have been working at Swinton Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hours work/life balance
    Staff / Branch manager

Cons

Constantly misled
    Constant change
    Non existent bonus scheme
    Terrible communication
    Customers cannot contact local branch
    Unorganised
    We have been waiting for 18+ months to find out our redundancy date

Advice to Management

Communicate openly and honestly with your staff.
    We are adults not idiots

7. "consultant"

I worked at Swinton Insurance full-time

Pros

good managers,work culture, concerned for employees

Cons

low pay scale, low growth possibilities

8. "Sales Executive"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)

I worked at Swinton Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good place to start insurance career

Cons

No room for development & training

"Such a shame"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Liverpool, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Liverpool, England (UK)

I worked at Swinton Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Was once an excellent company to work for and at . Great service given by loyal staff who had worked for years in a thriving branch network.

Cons

The last 3 years at Swinton were like watching it die . A transformation programme delivered with the sensitivity of a brick by people who didnt know the business.

Advice to Management

You would not listen but just in case you do and theres any hope for a small network of branches think about a multi skilled multi product branch serving the needs of personal/commerciaĺ/taxi driver customers .Should easily turn over £7 mill GWP within a few years and the customers still want a local presence.Best of Luck with whats left !

"Hanging on for redundancy"

Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Swinton Insurance part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible part time working
    Made good friends

Cons

Dire systems not fit for purpose
    Told we were all been made redundant months ago and still waiting

Advice to Management

Hurry up and close the branches!