Symetra Reviews

Updated Jun 2, 2020

3.2
Symetra CEO Margaret Meister (no image)
Margaret Meister
Pros
  • "Great work-life balance: offers flexible schedule with an option to work from home(in 36 reviews)

• "Good benefits and extra flex days(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management can be scattered and varies from team to team(in 15 reviews)

• "Also, work/life balance does take a toll during busy season, but that is to be expected in accounting/finance(in 13 reviews)

"Good company, great values, LOTS of change"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Symetra full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work life balance, rewarding work, supportive culture, opportunities to develop/career advancement, health benefits, tuition reimbursement, 401k matching, skilled/inspirational CEO, lots of positive change

Cons

Every single department is going through some sort of change. While the changes seem to be very positive and often necessary (innovation, shifting business model, developing a culture of learning, reaffirming commitment to diversity and inclusion) it can often be challenging/stressful to keep up.

August 6, 2019Jennifer Sharp, AVP, Human Resources

I couldn’t agree more -- we’re all feeling the effects of significant and rapid change, at all level and across the company. We’re investing in change management resources, including a new team member who is focused on innovation and organizational change.

2. "Fantastic Place to work"

Current Employee - Associate Case Manager in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Symetra full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fantastic management, benefits, coworkers, remote work available, great pay,

Cons

Cant think of a ton right now, its been an amazing experience so far, and i dont have any drawbacks at hand.

Continue reading

"Awesome Company /Micro Managers"

Current Employee - Std Case Manager in Enfield, CT

I have been working at Symetra full-time for more than a year

Pros

WFH option, salary, benefits, culture, and employees

Cons

Micro management and no growth unless you know the right people.

"Review"

4.0
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Enfield, CT

I worked at Symetra full-time for less than a year

Pros

Overall, the company has a good culture - people are positive and it's a bit more relaxed compared to east coast insurance firms.

Cons

At the time, the customer service leadership was not very forward thinking or open to new ways of doing things. The job could have easily been much more efficient and less stressful.

April 2, 2020Lindsey Lajoie, Director LTD Claim Operations

Thank you for your review – specific feedback like this helps us understand what we’re doing right and how we can improve. Our positive culture and the relationships we build help us to maintain a high retention rate in our call center. We are a company focused on innovation, process improvement, and servicing our customers. Our customer service leadership team has been working to create efficiencies based on suggestions from the team! We have seen positive impact to our customers and our employees have been excited to be a part of the continuous improvement.

"Great Benefits but Poor Management"

2.0
    Former Employee - Accountant in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Symetra full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits - 6% 401K match, pet insurance and 3 days a week work from home.

Cons

Micro-management culture- Manager and supervisor does not trust the team, like to humiliate and causes stress/fear on the team. It's tough to get promoted. Short staffed and working long hours to meet deadlines.

January 17, 2020Erin Woltz, AVP Talent Management, Human Resources

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback, both the good and the bad. What you describe isn’t consistent with how we expect managers to lead. It’s unfortunate that you’ve already left Symetra – we always hope that employees speak up about their experience before they decide to leave, so we have a chance to do something about it.

"Perpetually Understaffed and Overworked"

2.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Enfield, CT

I have been working at Symetra full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent pay, nice co-workers, management can be flexible for need for time off.

Cons

Poor management, too much overtime expected from the employees

November 11, 2019Kevin Sheridan, VP, Life & Disability Claims

Thank you for your review. I hear you – we have not been fully staffed, and it’s a very busy time of the year for us. We’ve hired quite a few people recently, and we’re actively recruiting more to join the Symetra team. Many of our openings were the result of promotions or opportunities to move to other parts of the company, which is good news, overall. I am glad you’ve noticed flexibility for time off – that’s important to me, especially when employees are working longer hours and with the holiday season starting.

"One of the best companies to work for in the Greater Seattle Area."

Current Employee - Human Resources

I have been working at Symetra full-time for less than a year

Pros

* Very inclusive & family-like culture. * Great work-life balance: offers flexible schedule with an option to work from home. * Competitive healthcare benefits. * Competitive 401k matching. * Competitive pay.

Cons

* Still using a lot of paper communications, but is currently working on converting to an all-electronic option to make things easier for current and future employees, as well as clients.

"Good company. Not so great manager."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Symetra full-time for more than a year

Pros

I enjoyed the company. They had very good values. And they taught me a lot about the industry. The ceo is very inspirational. And I felt like they treated their employees well. There was an orca pass provided and also it was close to a bus station.

Cons

My manager was not properly trained. She was not professional either. She micro manages so much. I felt like I couldn’t even going to the bathroom without her permission. She would complain about how she was very busy. But instead of working on work she would micro manage her employees. She defiantly has favorites and turns a blind eye to them. She put someone in charge of training me, then was upset that I wasn’t trained how she wanted me to be trained. They were not on the same page.

August 6, 2019Erin Woltz, AVP, Human Resources

Thank you for your very balanced feedback. No matter how great a company is; it’s the relationship with the manager that has the most influence on an employee’s experience. I hope you spoke up in your exit interview or to another manager about your experience so that the issues can be addressed to ensure other employees do not have a similar experience. We want to help ensure that managers are constantly enhancing their skills, including effective delegation, prioritization, developing their team and recognizing the positive contributions of their team members.

"Good Company With Some Mismanagement"

4.0
    Current Employee - Associate Business Analyst

I have been working at Symetra full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good company that does seem to try and do right by their employees and community.

Cons

Some managers show a clear amount of favoritism to some employees and this leads to coddling and unearned promotions while other managers turn the other cheek.

July 25, 2019Anne-Marie Diouf, SVP CHRO, Human Resources

Thank you for your review. I appreciate the balance of positive comments with constructive feedback. We are focused on doing right by our employees and our communities -- to "do what's right, every time" is one of our Core Values.

"Via con dios"

Former Employee - Long Term Disability Case Manager in Enfield, CT

I worked at Symetra full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They started out brand new in disability and were growing very quickly. I worked with a lot of knowledgeable coworkers and had some good friends there.

Cons

Their software was not the most user friendly, even after six years. It took them a long time to hire vital resources, such a Clinical Specialists and Vocational Rehab people. When management changed, they let go a lot of very experienced case managers so that they could replace them with their own people.

July 16, 2019Kevin Sheridan, VP, Life & Disability Claims

Thank you for providing feedback about your experience, even though you aren’t with Symetra anymore. We agree our claim system could be more user friendly so that our case managers can better serve our customers. We have made a number of smaller improvements this year and we have some larger ones slated to be implemented in 2020.

Found 267 reviews