KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Symetra Reviews

Updated Jun 6, 2022

Found 358 of over 399 reviews

3.8
Symetra CEO Margaret Meister (no image)
Margaret Meister

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "Lack of knowledge very clicky and management doesn't understand the jobs(in 27 reviews)
  • "Managers have so little actual work to do that they either spend their time getting in their employees way or in meetings dreaming up methods of getting in their employees way.(in 20 reviews)
  • "The low pay makes the morale in the department low and sad.(in 16 reviews)
  • "Limited training for intern staff(in 11 reviews)
  • "Parking is expensive.(in 9 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Symetra and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Seriously best place to work I've ever heard of

Jun 6, 2022 - Senior Systems Analyst in Bellevue, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

transparency, work life balance, mutual respect

Cons

privately owned so now stock bonus, but nothing else

Anne-Marie Diouf, SVP, Chief Human Resources Officer

These five-star reviews really brighten up my day, so thank you for sharing! I love that you mentioned mutual respect because I think it’s such a driving force of our culture here. And though I know there is no stock bonus, we do have generous Annual Bonus programs for nearly all employees.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great place to work!

Jun 1, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great health insurance benefits & PTO (3 weeks PTO, 7 days of Flex Days, 5 Days of Sick Leave), flexible work location

Cons

Would like to see longer parental leave (4 weeks currently)

Ellen Stone, Senior Manager, Employee Benefits

Thank you for sharing this five-star review. We take pride in the generous employee benefits packages that are offered. Symetra offers a number of family-friendly employee benefits, including paid time away for new parents via paid short-term disability benefits following the birth of a child, four weeks of paid parental leave, as well as robust sick, vacation and “flex” days that can be used during a parental leave. In addition, Symetra offers inclusive family-building benefits for every unique path to parenthood that includes infertility treatment, surrogacy and adoption benefits. Symetra also offers a caregiver support program to assist employees who care for others, and even as they care for themselves.

3. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

The best company I’ve ever worked for!

May 9, 2022 - Senior STD Case Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Co-workers are smart, helpful and teams have a close knit culture Benefits are amazing and are really reflective of Symetra’s core values. It’s one thing for a company to say they care about their employees and another to actually show in so many aspects including benefits and development opportunities. Symetra is extremely customer and client focused. I’ve worked for a total of 3 other carriers in STD and Symetra goes above and beyond to walk employees through the plan, ask detailed questions, provide decisions quick and do the right thing. I’ve never worked anywhere so customer focused. Case managers are given many opportunities to learn more about the business, actually deep knowledge about how to do their job efficiently and are provided opportunities to develop, collaborate, have a voice and take much needed time away. It’s not a giant insurance company where you feel like a number and you’re just typing information to process claims. They challenge you to think, interpret and be responsible for the work you put out

Cons

My former department has gone through a ton of change and is still finding their way. Everyone is dedicated and super innovative but overall, the focus has shifted from some of leadership being super accessible for questions or to help problem solve with CMs directly to more being focused on ways to improve productivity outside of hiring. There’s now more distance and disconnect from the leadership team and direct line employees more than ever as leadership is kind of put on a pedestal.

Harry Monti, EVP, Benefits Division

Thank you for sharing this detailed five-star review. Your comments reflect several of the great aspects of our culture — one that is built on our core values that are deeply rooted in everything we do. I also appreciate your constructive comments and advice. Though it may have felt to you that leadership is put on a pedestal, I’ve always tried to be accessible and open to discussions with all employees — and expect the same of every leader here at Symetra. I’m sorry to read that you’re no longer with the company, but appreciate your contributions to our success.

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Amazing team, company, culture - like no other

May 2, 2022 - Recruiting
    Business Outlook

Pros

Supportive leaders; Supportive partners all throughout the organization; Flexible work; Family-like treatment; Healthy work culture; Plenty of growth and upwards mobility

Cons

Honestly can't think of anything other than if anybody didn't get along with someone from within their team or greater teams, which I haven't experienced

Jennifer Sharp, VP, Talent Acquisition and Talent Development

Reading your five-star review absolutely made my day — thank you for sharing comments on your experience at Symetra. We have a very supportive and inclusive culture, which are just a few of the reasons that make this such a great place to work and a great place to grow your career!

5. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great!

Apr 7, 2022 - Case Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone is very friendly and is eager to help you out with anything.

Cons

There is a point system and sometimes when you see your scores it can either boost your confidence or completely tear it down.

Shawnna Hiatt, AVP, Life and Retirement, New Business

The people at Symetra definitely contribute to making this such a great place to work. I’m glad you find everyone to be friendly and helpful. Our quality review process does require a lot of attention to detail which can become particularly hard to hit consistently when our volumes are high — we know everyone is doing their best. It’s an exciting time at Symetra because we are growing quickly, but we realize that can come with some growing pains too. At the moment, our leadership team is actively working to hire more talent.

6. 4.0

Friendly Grind

Mar 24, 2022 - Database Administrator
    Business Outlook

Pros

Remote, Easy Work, Flexible Hours, Frequent Communication w/ Peers & Supervisors, Virtual Weekly Coffee Breaks

Cons

Repetitive Work, Unclear Career Path, Relatively Low Pay

Jennifer Sharp, VP, Talent Acquisition & Talent Development

Thank you for your feedback! I'm not sure what you're referencing in regards to passwords and protected emails, but it is truly helpful to hear about our employees’ experience, and what they see as “great” as well as “not yet great”. One of the areas that we are working to improve and modernize our learning and development capabilities with a focus on career pathways, upskilling and new skilling. Our enterprise-wide priority around Workforce Capabilities will bring transparency to a variety of formal and informal internal opportunities in ways never imagined possible! Our Talent Development team loves to talk to employees about their development; don’t hesitate to reach out to learning@symetra.com.

7. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Overall good company

Mar 29, 2022 - Associate Policy Administrator in Bellevue, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Culture, value, 401k, opportunities, healthcare

Cons

High turnover, unfair workload, work life balance, low pay

3 people found this review helpful

Dave Kryzanski, VP, Group Benefits Operations

Thank you for the review. I agree that Symetra’s culture and employee benefits are some of our strong points. We operate in competitive markets and retaining our talent is a priority for us. We also regularly monitor salary ranges across our industry and we’re confident that we’re in line with industry standards. We just adjusted salary ranges in November. I am sorry to read your comment about work-life balance. We are continuously looking to refine our staffing models to find the right staffing balance. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me or your aligned HR Business Partner to discuss any of these issues.

8. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Good place to work

Mar 19, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Supportive management for full time employees

Cons

Employee churn has been a little high

Erin Woltz, VP, Talent Management

Thank you for sharing this review; it is nice to see that you agree that management is supportive of our employees. We operate in competitive markets which means focusing on retaining our talent is a priority for Symetra.

9. 5.0

Fantastic Culture

Mar 14, 2022 - Regional Sales Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

- inclusive to all - room for growth - attracts employees of all backgrounds, ages, sexes - Lots of women in leadership roles

Cons

- slow to adopt new tech

Johnathan Gingras, Regional Vice President, Group Benefits

Thank you for this five-star review. Symetra is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, which I think you’ve summed up very nicely. We continue to upgrade and adapt to new technology — if you’d like to discuss areas in which we could be doing better, please reach out to me directly or contact your HR Business partner.

10. 3.0

Review

Mar 22, 2022 - Sales Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good products people and service

Cons

Pricing and lack of brand issues

Courtney Ellis, VP Internal Sales

Thank you for your good feedback about our products and service. We are very proud of our focus on the customer in both our product design and service delivery. Our brand is strong in some parts of the country and growing in others. We have people “on the streets” every day building the recognition of our brand and we are proud of our goal to be the most diverse carrier in the industry. We view every employee as a brand ambassador. Pricing is difficult in the current interest rate environment, however our Leadership and product development team meet regularly to ensure that we are staying competitive related to pricing and product features and benefits.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 358 Reviews

Symetra Reviews FAQs

Symetra has an overall rating of 3.8 out of 5, based on over 399 reviews left anonymously by employees. 75% of employees would recommend working at Symetra to a friend and 72% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Symetra employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.7 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Symetra. This rating has decreased by -1% over the last 12 months.

75% of Symetra employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Symetra 4.1 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.0 for culture and values and 3.7 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Symetra to be career development, coworkers, benefits and the cons to be senior leadership, culture, management.

Popular Careers with Symetra Job Seekers