TRIPWIRE INTERACTIVE Reviews | Glassdoor

1. Featured Review

"Excellent studio"

Current Employee - Producer in Roswell, GA
    Current Employee - Producer in Roswell, GA

I have been working at TRIPWIRE INTERACTIVE full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been employed at Tripwire Interactive now for 3 months. I feel like it's been much longer than that, and I mean that in a very positive way!

Allow me to explain... I've been in the industry since 2001 and have seen a lot. I wake up each morning with passion, drive and excitement to work on titles that I have extreme interest in and believe are amazing. I'm surrounded by tremendous talent that show the same amount of passion for the titles and studio. I love the tight knit family atmosphere and felt that from day 1.

In short, it's been an incredible experience and I cant wait to see what the future holds!

Cons

I have none to speak of

Jan 23, 2017 – Chief Administrative Officer

I'm so glad that you like it here and feel like family. That is exactly how we want you to feel!

"One could not ask for a better place to be"

Current Employee - Programmer in Roswell, GA
    Current Employee - Programmer in Roswell, GA

I have been working at TRIPWIRE INTERACTIVE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company cares about its workers. Everyone's opinions are considered, benefits are great, management is receptive to problems and compliments. Profit share is nice when there is one. The owners really embrace employees' creative sides.

Cons

This isn't a hug con, but salaries are slightly below the average.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. Tripwire has come a long way and will continue to get better and better.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roswell, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roswell, GA

Pros

Independent, small, inclusive and a very creative environment. Promotes pro-activity and self-sufficiency if you are invested and show that you are willing to help and go the extra mile. Full benefits.

Cons

These are not really cons in my opinion, but some may find them to be, in which case it may not be a workplace suited for you.
    Need to be pro-active and willing to step out of your comfort zone at times to help others out. No task is too big or small and you may have to help with work that is too "easy" or small for you.
    It is a small company with many leads, therefore, many opinions to consider and compromise with when a bigger decision needs to be made. It may be hard to have your voice heard at times despite the company's small size, and you have to hunt down any additional information you may need on a project when communication breaks down.

Advice to Management

Keep reviewing yourselves and be the best manager and co-worker you can be, as you are both leads and role-models for others. You love what you do, like your employees, and if we strive to keep that the first priority, I believe we will continue to grow in a good way. Listen to your employees and their concerns. They would not come to you and voice their opinions unless they cared or are concerned about something. This is huge and I cannot stress it enough. Majority will always remain silent and go through their 9-5 despite alarms going off, but when they bother to express a concern it really should be considered before being dismissed. They care, but if their voices are ignored too many times, they will cease to care, which is far worse.

Jan 23, 2017 – Chief Administrative Officer

Thank you for your feedback. I'm so glad you think it's a great place to work. I'm trying to come up with ways for the less outspoken people to have their voices heard because everyone is important. ... More

"Studio is trying to improve, but doesn't know how."

Former Employee - Senior Developer in Roswell, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Developer in Roswell, GA

Pros

Everyone wants to make a good product.

They are trying to make the next steps in studio growth out of PC-only indie.

One of the few game developers in Georgia if you wish to be located here.

Cons

You won't be included in the decision making or planning process even if you are a primary developer. After discussing this with an owner, my concerns were brushed off. Get ready to play guessing games with your roadmap, and be blind sided by marketing requests such as public demos while still in preproduction. This was odd given the small company size.

They won't hire an IT guy. Get ready to fix your machine, other people's machines, and maintain several servers should you need them.

The company is very focused on game scripting in UnrealScript, so it might not be a good place for Juniors as that is an obsolete skill.

Advice to Management

Loop engineering into external milestones without waiting until the last minute.

Make reviews transparent, and let employees know the source of the reviews. Talking to a few other employees I noticed a trend of working long hours the first year then go 9 to 5 afterward due to a lack of reward. Also it is unclear which manager or coworker is giving the assessment. It seems like just a cost-control measure as you can have high ratings and not get much to show for it. Make reviews more like discussions, and if a manager has questions or concerns they shouldn't wait until the yearly review to bring them up.

Hire an IT worker.

Get someone to take responsibility for technical direction. This does not imply hiring a tech director, but have someone take this role with authority to negotiate with stake holders to bring visibility into engineering resources and limits. This will also help with external products as someone will be able to provide technical oversight.

Jan 12, 2017 – Chief Administrative Officer

I'm sorry you felt frustrated. We now have 3 people in production, so the roadmap should be more clear. We have also hired an IT guy. We have also launched on PS4 Pro, so we are no longer PC only. I ... More

6. "Fun place to work"

Current Employee - Worker in Roswell, GA
    Current Employee - Worker in Roswell, GA

I have been working at TRIPWIRE INTERACTIVE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work. Everyone is very passionate about what they do and it is fun to see how the video game industry works.

Cons

I dont have anything bad to say

Advice to Management

Really don't have any right now

Jan 23, 2017 – Chief Administrative Officer

Thank you for your review. I"m glad you enjoyed (or are still enjoying) your time here.

"Best of both worlds"

I have been working at TRIPWIRE INTERACTIVE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-The people, most everyone at TWi are respectful towards one another and are easy to get along with including Programmers ;) Unlike other company's I've worked for in the past, I always look forward to coming in to TWi, there's a very welcoming feeling here.
    -The quality of games, working on a game that the company is super passionate about is extremely rewarding. I've been at company's before where we worked on titles just to pay the bills and it's very frustrating when the team could careless about the product. Here we don't have that issue.
    -Benefits are excellent. Especially for someone like myself that has a family to take care of. Knowing TWi will pay 100% of mine and my family's Healthcare is beyond my expectations.
    -Structure, having a nice solid foundation of structure helps all of us stay on task and not waste time, thus allowing us to avoid overtime. In 2016 I think I stayed a total of 7 days of overtime. At previous companies I was lucky to have less than 30 days of OT.

Cons

- I wish the office space wasn't so crammed, I know they are trying to work out a new deal in another building so I'm looking forward to that.

Advice to Management

-Keep those doors open like you currently do, sometimes the best advice to something that works so well seems simple, but please continue to allow growth and listen to all devs. Only other advice is to keep our team size at or around what it is today. Too many companies I've been at in the past expand way to quickly and start to run out of money eventually. I would love for TWi to remain at or around the capacity it is at now and continue to work on 2 games max as a studio.

"Pretty awesome place to work"

I have been working at TRIPWIRE INTERACTIVE full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a very fun place to work. Professional yet casual. Everyone takes their jobs seriously, but are always willing to have a good laugh. What I love the most is, whatever you job title is, everyone cares about your input. Everyone seems to value everyone's opinion and takes it into account (yes, including upper management.) We get donuts every Friday, which is always awesome.

Cons

People tend to take long smoke breaks and can be hard to find; however, it looks like the company is currently working on this issue. Until the company addresses this, it's a huge con. Also, it looks like it is very hard to move up in the company or switch job titles.

Jan 23, 2017 – Chief Administrative Officer

Thank you for your feedback and you do see that you are important, because you are. Being a small company, it has been hard to move up, unless you want to be a lead. We are working on that, so if you ... More

"Fantastic place to work but some growing pains"

Pros

Tripwire Interactive is an absolutely fantastic place to work. Their passion for games and day to day detail makes their company culture great. A previous review mentioned crunch time, better management practices (scrum) have definitely fixed that.

Cons

There was a lot of 'do as you should have, not as you were told' from senior management. Fewer people in offices would increase productivity

Advice to Management

Hire a tech director to reduce load, better efficiency will occur if people don't have to interact with vendors. Direction was sometimes unclear. Desperately needs a dedicated IT guy.

Jan 23, 2017 – Chief Administrative Officer

Thank you for your response, and you are right, with any growing company there will be some growing pains. We have tried to learn from those and hired more production staff as well as an IT person.

"Decent studio with struggling management"

I worked at TRIPWIRE INTERACTIVE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It looks good on your resume, as they are a small studio with a larger profile. The pay is decent and you get full benefits.

Cons

Your extra efforts don't amount to much during performance reviews. Crunch time is said to be a "failure of management" but those failures keep happening. Some people ignored crunch time by just walking out at their regular time and nothing was done about it.

Advice to Management

Recognize people for going above and beyond the call of duty and come down hard on anyone that doesn't follow the rules. Everyone should be treated equally and expectations should be universal.

Jan 23, 2017 – Chief Administrative Officer

I think we have learned from those crunch times and they are now very few and far between. We have brought in some great Management to help with some of those struggles that you mentioned.