Unitrends Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Unitrends CEO Paul Brady
Paul Brady

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Fast paced, get it done culture (in 14 reviews)

• Unitrends is a great place to be and I don (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The previous management team I worked with was great (in 9 reviews)

• Can be stressful and require long hours and weekends, especially at the end of a release cycle (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Warning: It is addicting but wouldn't have it any other way!"

I have been working at Unitrends full-time

Pros

I enjoy seeing the work I do become woven into the fabric of the company. This is a place where they hire professionals and empower them to take the reins and perform. The company has evolved a great deal during my near 5 year tenure and I can say without a doubt it has been the best professional ride of my career. Unitrends has never been better.

Cons

We are building something amazing here and with that will come some bumps. You have to expect them, learn and use them to become better. To succeed you have to be motivated by the journey of success and be willing to work through ambiguity and ask tough questions. I don't see this as a con but as a challenge to people currently on or looking to join the team. It's not for everyone but for those who like it here's a warning: IT IS ADICTING!

Advice to Management

New management has turned the page. Keep communicating the mission and vision. It is becoming part of the new norm and I've never been more proud to be on this team!

"Get Place to work!"

Current Employee - Technical Account Manager in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Technical Account Manager in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Unitrends full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Collaborative Teams. Management interested in growing employees.

Cons

No Cons to speak of.

Advice to Management

Keep it up

"Win the Day!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Unitrends full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The resurgence of the company has been fantastic to see: a new leader who has set a clear vision and values and who leads by example every day; a product set that leads the industry; employees who are committed to their work and to working as a team; and a new mantra that encapsulates everything: Win the Day. At Unitrends we focus on small, incremental wins and making ourselves better every day. Some days it all comes together in a big, transformational win, some days we end flat and then figure out how to dust ourselves off and come back fresh the next day. But we all know that we can propel Unitrends to even better results and make it an even better place to work by committing to ourselves and each other that will we push for the win. Every day.

Cons

Like all companies, we have our challenges. Primarily, we have many areas for improvement and not an unlimited budget. So it's all a tradeoff: do we want more employees to lighten the workload; a larger 401k match; cheaper benefits; higher compensation? It's a constant balancing act that the leadership team deals with every day but they are committed to doing what's best for the company and the employees.

"Information Hiding as a Management Style"

I have been working at Unitrends full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are plenty of interesting problems to work on and the hours are pretty flexible. Sometimes there's food or a happy hour. A lot of the developers are really talented.

Cons

Despite the abundance of potentially interesting projects, requirements, specifications, and road maps are largely missing (or hidden from the development team for unknown reasons). Management is slow to respond to most requests for information and frequently misses feature meetings; when they do make it to meetings, they are rarely effective at ensuring the meeting is productive.

Whereas many developers may be used to daily stand-ups, Unitrends has created its own style of status update meetings which manages to be worse in every possible way. Not to worry, though, the particular brand of status update meetings and the official development process workflow changes often enough that the current iteration will probably be replaced with something else in the near future.

Benefits seem to keep getting worse.

There's frequently a crisis of some sort.

Advice to Management

Make sure engineering has a road map, but don't try to set firm deadlines months ahead of time - estimating development time becomes less accurate the further into the future one attempts to predict.

Make use of all that agile training we had (and stop letting people over-commit on "sprints"). This would go a long way towards getting accurate time estimates, too.

Stop attempting to duplicate Jira in Smart Sheets.

"Unhappy"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Columbia, SC

I worked at Unitrends full-time (More than a year)

Pros

While I had a bad time at Unitrends, some of the people there are great and actually care about you as a person and not a number.

Cons

This place was becoming a joke. They wanted to expand the customer support office but fired many of their customer support engineers. And HR is a joke. They are there to protect the company's butt not help the employees. It was becoming a clique and fast. They grew out of their britches too fast and weren't prepared for what came next.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees.
    Have true HR people

"Ok"

I have been working at Unitrends full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay for first job out of college

Cons

Engineering department needs better middle management

"Best 10 years of my life... And I was even in the Navy!"

Current Employee - Senior Professional Trainer/Developer in Jackson, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Professional Trainer/Developer in Jackson, MI

I have been working at Unitrends full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Brand, Vision and Roadmap of the company is clear from the top down. Management cares and listens to new ideas. A culture of how to work smarter, and harder to become the best!

Cons

Team is undersized for our size of content and product release delivery schedule.

Advice to Management

More swag for remote workers. :-D

"Turbulence, Secrecy, and occasionally, breakfast"

Current Employee - Developer in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Developer in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Unitrends full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I really like our product, and I think the all of the developers are outstanding. They are all supportive of one another and truly have a passion for what they do.

Cons

No road map makes it difficult to get tasks done, and priorities are constantly changing. They are slowly taking away benefits and perks. They've taken away holidays, the flexible hours are becoming less flexible as we are expected to be in the office more. Open work spaces are not conducive to productivity. We used to get breakfast weekly, now it's monthly. We used to get gym memberships and FitBits, but alas, those have gone the way of the dodo as well.

Advice to Management

Get a road map and share it with development. Trust that development does not just take the "easy way," but really cares about the product and the customers. Give us the freedom to work in the environment that makes us the most productive.

"Great Place To Work"

Current Employee - Sales in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Sales in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Unitrends full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Collaborative Teams. Management interested in growing employees. Company on a huge upswing. Great place to work!

Cons

No Cons to speak of.

Advice to Management

Keep this momentum going!

"It's refreshing to work for a growing company."

Current Employee - Consultant Software Engineer in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Consultant Software Engineer in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Unitrends full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The engineering team is very strong technically, and a lot of fun to work with. I didn't know at first if I would like the totally open environment (no offices or cubicles), but it is surprisingly comfortable and beneficial for collaboration. The atmosphere is very relaxed and a good life/work balance is encouraged, not just given lip service.

Cons

Growing pains. This strikes me as a fairly common problem with small software companies. The processes, or lack thereof, that worked well enough in the past are now hindering growth. We are now going through the difficult process of trying out new processes and finding which ones will work best for us. At times this is painful in terms of defining requirements for projects and predicting a release date.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. It's better to try a new process and have it fall short than to stick to existing processes that hinder progress simply because it's "the way it's always been done".