Vencore Reviews | Glassdoor

Vencore President & CEO Mac Curtis
Mac Curtis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Vencore has not yet realized they are no longer Lockheed Martin" (in 8 reviews)

• "They could no longer provide growth opportunities nor invest in retaining me anymore" (in 7 reviews)

1. "Love it here!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at Vencore full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are excellent and I adore working with my colleagues! The group I work within is like a family and we all take accountability for our actions and celebrate one anothers accomplisments. Everyone here is approachable from the CEO to the Executive Team.

Cons

None, I am very happy here and hope I retire here.

2. "lots of mergers but foundation remains great"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Springfield, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Springfield, VA

I have been working at Vencore full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Variety of opportunities
    Competitive pay
    Good work-life balance

Cons

mergers....so many mergers over the past 7 years

Advice to Management

Increase independent R&D so we don't become a body shop

3. "Content as long as opportunities continue"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineering Manager in Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineering Manager in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at Vencore full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've worked at Vencore (LM, SI Org) since I graduated college 17 years ago. I've consistently found interesting rewarding opportunities to transition into within the company. The people within IG are phenomenal to work with. The customers we support are doing real-life changing stuff.

Cons

I sometimes wish there was more of a focus on rewarding employees in unique ways to differentiate our company from our competitors. I don't feel we stand out in the crowd as the premier place to work.

Advice to Management

Consider ways to make working at Vencore more "fun"... for example, company sponsored happy hours, food events at the Chantilly Campus, bonuses, more/better employee discounts, etc.

4. "Employee"

I have been working at Vencore full-time

Pros

People come to work wanting to contribute, perform, and add value.

Cons

1) It's a good old boy company, 2) appalling antiquated IT at Chantilly corporate offices, and 3) no interest in employee morale, career, or employee retention.

Advice to Management

Hoping the merger brings in new and fresh ideas to bring about change such as changing manager incentive/reward structure from butts in seats to employee retention.

5. "The job is ok, if if you are a retiree not looking for physical activity or much work."

Current Employee - Automotive Installer Data Collector in Fort Hood, TX
    Current Employee - Automotive Installer Data Collector in Fort Hood, TX

I have been working at Vencore full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Relaxed environment, little to no physical activity. Unless a box go out on a vehicle. Not complicated. Your own boss at times

Cons

Annual tests every 6 months or less seems like. Gets boring when the unit personnel or soldiers are gone. Government sides gets on your back a lot if downloads do not come in on time. Which requires unit personnel lol

Advice to Management

Relax

6. "Personal Experience has been Positive"

Current Employee - Systems Integrator in Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Systems Integrator in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at Vencore full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

My top pros are flexible work schedule and responsive management teams. In my personal experience this has been a priority for me, my team, and my management, though others may have differing experiences depending on their roles.

My current management team has been incredibly responsive to questions, requests (including some that 'cost money'), and guidance, though follow-through is sporadic. In my experience, if you are willing to be your own advocate and push to perform at a high-level, the company will support you.

Intentions to value employees seem to be good, and as a technical lead on my contract, I've been given a good amount of freedom to create a customized and positive environment for my employees (managing flexible work schedules, distributing and refreshing work roles, pursuing training opportunities, work environment requests (hardware, software, etc.) , backed up by upper management support when I need it.

Long history of excellence with some customers. Significant in-house knowledge that makes for an incredible learning experience for new folks, and lots of opportunities to grow and learn new things.

Competitive pay, consistent small raises. I feel valued as part of the company based on how my questions and requests are generally handled.

Cons

Consistent increases in benefits costs (though this is common across the industry). Lack of insight into larger corporate activities and strategy.

Not yet sold on the new company name - had just gotten used to Vencore and the branding and corporate identity of Perspecta is still unclear.

Inconsistency in management. My experience has be mostly positive, but management has not been as proactive as I would like to see. I believe that the requirement for full time employees to take on corporate management duties on top of their regular obligations leads to well-meaning employees stuck between a rock and a hard place trying to find the time to fit everything in. Additionally, this issue of overwork has a cascading effect regarding the ability to take proactive action to mentor and grow their employees. As a result, there's a lot of variance in how managers handle their employees issues, interpret corporate policy, and look for opportunities to proactively manage aside from performance review time.

Lots of emphasis on new hires and young professionals. Those of us with 10-20 years of experience are lost in the noise and have fewer opportunities at the corporate level.

Seems to be a bit of a disconnect between 'corporate' activities and contract work. Many seem to live in one world or the other, and it does feed into a feeling of disconnect from either the mission or the company.

Advice to Management

Keep evolving the company, but don't forget about the people. If people don't feel secure and at least reasonably content, they will eventually leave. Spend more time and money on developing all employees, not just the recruiting pipeline and young professionals. Specifically, developing your mid-level and senior employees, improving their experiences, and encouraging coaching of new folks will organically improve the average experience across the company.

Consider options to reduce workload on managers and provide clearer guidance to them on how to be more proactive in working with their employees.

It seems that there is an IT refresh ongoing, which is incredibly helpful. Keep that up and consider other innovative ways to improve the environmental, social, and technology offerings for employees. For example; a clean, bright, and welcoming lobby area (more like what we have in SG2, but lack in SG1), newer (and MORE) lockers, to include lockers that can accommodate laptops. More investment in the IT infrastructure (remote access capability is sometimes solid, sometimes unusable re: performance, and tech support to resolve issues is also very spotty (and slow). More opportunities for 'regular' employees to have face time with higher-ups in leadership (aside from large auditorium briefings). Proactive planning for corporate extra-curricular events that can encourage more folks to get involved. All of these "small" things can add up to make better first impressions on visitors and new employees, and boost morale of current employees.

7. "Software Engineer"

I worked at Vencore full-time

Pros

Good company overall to work for

Cons

If contracts are not extended, you have to be careful

Advice to Management

Try to help employees find opportunities early before the contract ends

8. "Mediocre"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at Vencore full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are okay, good company to be at for a couple years to get some experience then move on.

Cons

Low pay, not a lot of incentives, turn over is very high

"Cheap company. Pay is good, but the rest is not."

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at Vencore full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I am trying to write a fair review. Vencore allows a certain flexibility with daily schedules, provided you communicate this to your manager, which is totally fair both to your project and to your team. This aligns with the #1 highest rated corporate culture item in 2018 from several surveys, and that is a very big deal that you should consider.

It seems like programs genuinely care about customers, and try to deliver value to them. They succeed in this and get excellent ratings from them. Customers get great value with Vencore, but what is the downside...there must be one?

Some people (not all) in senior management are not arrogant, and are good people worth being a mentor. There are no jerks here, from what I have seen. You can talk to them and they will listen to you. They may be castrated to actually do any improvements that costs money to Vencore, but they will be honest with you and do the best that they can with their meager resources. They are trying, but with no fuel in the tank, there is only so much they can do.

Cons

I have never seen a company so surprisingly cheap in the last 35 years. It is penny pinching madness run amok. Sure, you win contracts for being cheap, but there is a operational cost to this approach.

In Vencore's Chantilly HQ flagship, unless you are in the executive suite on 4th Floor of Stonegate 2, on day-1 you realize that: The work areas are filthy, with ancient broken furniture, 10-year old computers, no snacks, no coffee, endlessly broken elevators (one person required the fire department to get removed from last Dec.), sardine-can-compacted work areas, and zero team collaboration areas. They are so cheap that the stock room supplies are empty and require a "special request requiring approval" to get anything. I probably should post pictures but fear for my job if I do. On your first day, your boss will "take you out to lunch", but SURPRISE, you will have to pay for this business lunch yourself! Wow, how welcoming! In this day and age, you cannot treat the workforce this way, unless you want high turnover and a lot of open positions that you cannot fill (wondering why you cannot fill them).

Now to your career...Vencore pays decent salaries (you probably thought I would not say this). You are getting paid decently because you are getting short-sheeted on benefits (especially PTO), health care costs for poor plans, and substandard a 401(k). Add to that the cheapness of the work conditions described above. Training = a subscription to pathetic online videos, and always off-hours "on your own time." Instructor-led training does not happen.

This is the secret of how they operate. Old workers like it because of stability, but the young don't last long. Is it wrong? No, not really. It will result in high turnover and honest Glassdoor reviews like this one. The market place will decide what is right and wrong. Open positions that you cannot fill will be the judgment.

Vencore is about to merge with 2 other companies. I hope the cheapness problems get addressed. If not, here comes much more staff turnover.

Advice to Management

It is time for management to move out of the days from 30 years ago in our high-end talent labor markets. Listen to Glassdoor reviews--real ones, not the ones that management shills were told to write. If you do not, employees will not gripe, they will just leave, and you will continue to link this problem to all the wrong reasons/assumptions, since they will not tell you the real reasons why people left. There are very good things about Vencore and some of its people, but extreme corporate cheapness is the central problem.

"Don’t care about Employees just contracts"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Chantilly, VA

I worked at Vencore full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits fit our family very well

Cons

Don’t look out for employees

Advice to Management

Understand the work the employees are doing