Vision Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

John L Shetrone Jr

1. "An owners response"

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Glen Burnie, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Glen Burnie, MD

I have been working at Vision Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

To be transparent, I am one of the owners of Vision Technologies. Having read every review posted here, I have to admit to being disappointed that a few people failed to see the value of what the company has to offer, and have chosen this anonymous forum as a tool to vent. One aspect of our Culture is our Open Door policy, enabling any teammate the opportunity to discuss issues or concerns with any manager at any level. It’s unfortunate that some chose not take advantage of that opportunity.

We’re an ownership team that has grown the company by reinvesting our profits to provide jobs, growth, careers, training and tools for the over 450 people that choose to work here. We care about our people, and the families that they support.

I’d also like to comment on the criticism of our growth strategies and operations. I think that the results speak for themselves. We’ve grown year over year, created a company with five distinct and interdependent business units, and demonstrated to the market that our solutions and services add value. It’s disappointing to see a few folks criticize what is clearly a working, thriving and successful strategic plan. Not many companies grow to over $100 Million, and that doesn’t happen without a great plan, great people and a team environment.

Regarding the reference to nepotism. It is true - out of the 450 or so teammates, 5 are related to the owners. Two of those five were founding members of the company and have helped grow it over these last 17 years. One was honored twice last year for service to his fellow teammates, Above & Beyond. The Above & Beyond awards are nominations from peers, and voted on by peers.. So while we do have family members on staff here, we also have many other employees who have encouraged their own family members to work at Vision as well. We have a significant number of employee family members and friends. And that says to me that not only is Vision a great place to work, but it’s a place where people feel comfortable enough to recommend us to their family and friends!

I also would like to address another common theme I see in these reviews: Vacation Policy. Every new employee receives a minimum of 21 paid days off in their first year with Vision. This equates to a full month of paid time off in year one. Those that continue to support Vision’s mission receive additional paid time off based on their years of service. Most Vision team members feel this policy to be both fair and equitable.

Cons

We’re not perfect . But we recognize that how you handle adversity is the clear mark of champions. So we work on improving every day, and we work on improving our teammates through training, education, tuition reimbursement and we work on improving our solution set, keeping it current and viable in the marketplace. Sometimes, growing pains can be felt and when they do, we work to resolve those issues, but there’s no magic wand. It takes hard work, working smart and working together to solve these. I’m proud to say that we succeed far more often than we fail, and our growth is living testimony to that.

Advice to Management

Always remember that customer-focused, growth oriented companies aren’t for everyone. The entire management team appreciates every teammate and their commitment to the company, to each other and to growing their career. While a few clearly couldn’t find the same level of satisfaction and growth, for over 450 teammates, Vision is a great place to be every day!

"a dinosour in a digital age"

I have been working at Vision Technologies full-time

Pros

Good people, Managers are actually forward thinking and positive

Cons

not a real integrator unless it is out of a box, CEO bottlenecks growth and is a mega micro manager

Advice to Management

If you dont trust your staff dont hire them otherwise step aside and let good people do good things

"Disappointing"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Glen Burnie, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Glen Burnie, MD

I worked at Vision Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Financial Stability
    Name Recognition
    Veteran Owned Small Business

Cons

Outdated/Non-Competitive Compensation Structure
    Understaffed Operations Department
    Lack of Mid-Management Leadership
    Nepotism
    Lack of On-Boarding/Mentoring
    Depressing Office Atmosphere/Environment

This was just an awful fit in so many ways. There is a huge disconnect between the "Culture" preached by management and the true employee/customer experience. The company is truly a tale of two companies under one roof. The more tenured employees, or those with some connection to management, receive a level of benefits and support that does not exist for newer employees. Trying to navigate office politics and bureaucracy is frustrating, demoralizing, and overwhelming. The support from mid-level management is lacking. In hindsight, I wish I had dug deeper before accepting the offer...

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach.
    Update your compensation plan to be more competitive.
    Invest in the tools needed for your employees to succeed.
    Hold management responsible when they fail to deliver.
    Eliminate blatant nepotism and favoritism.
    Improve the Employee All-Around Employee Experience.

"Dedicated to Improvement"

I have been working at Vision Technologies full-time

Pros

Vision puts great emphasis on employees bettering themselves. They encourage employees to take care of their health, balance work and family life, further their education, and more. They have an open door policy and value transparency, so if there is a problem they want to hear about it. They set high expectations for all employees, but they are committed to helping everyone reach any and all goals. They provide a 100% customer satisfaction and they truly stand by it. It is a very fast-paced working environment, but it can also be exciting. The company stresses the importance of teamwork and have even included Culture Training Courses to supplement the technical skills of the employees.

Cons

The pay is not always comparable to market value, but the benefits make up for it. Sometimes the expectations that are set can seem a bit too high, but they push us to work harder and be more creative.

6. "Viision"

Current Employee - Call Center Analyst in Evergreen, CO
    Current Employee - Call Center Analyst in Evergreen, CO

I have been working at Vision Technologies (Less than a year)

Pros

Great People, I thoroughly enjoy everyone from management to my peers

Cons

Lackluster vacation/sick leave - Pay is low

Advice to Management

Improve your sick leave. It's inappropriate for your employees to choose between coming to work sick and infecting other or losing their vacation/sick time, which is incredibly low to begin with.

7. "Growth and opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glen Burnie, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glen Burnie, MD

I have been working at Vision Technologies (More than a year)

Pros

Growing company with a lot of potential for upward mobility. Team environment and management believes in the "team environment" and they have an "open door" policy. They are approachable and willing to listen regardless of what level you are. Nice environment to work in.

Cons

I honestly can't think of any cons. You have to work hard but the rewards of working in a growing company that is ahead of their competitors is definitely worth the work.

Advice to Management

Keep up with the innovative approach and continued success.

8. "Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Manager in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Vision Technologies (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast paced business
    Freedom to take on as much workload as you can
    Internal training program is good, focusing on personal and professional growth
    On top of new technologies

Cons

for the most part, owners of the company are the executives and ultimately, are set in their ways..
    Business plan makes it difficult for project managers to meet project budget targets.
    Contract based business makes job security iffy..

Advice to Management

Nothing useful, they are going to do what they want to do.

"Illegal Business Practices"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

- Flexible scheduling and working from home.
    - Employees "on the ground" are generally competent, pleasant to work with, and try to do good work.

Cons

The following represent my own personal opinions:

- Below market wages.
    - Substandard benefits: Typical for this field as a full time employee on a multi-year contract are 21 days PTO, 8 holidays, 2 floating holidays, 50% employer matched 401K, 60/40 split on health/vision/and dental. Vision offers 10 days of PTO, 7 holidays( I think), 1 floating for your birthday. Based on healthcare market rates for health/vision/dental, there is no subsidy for healthcare.There is minimal/no matching for retirement. Out of home market healthcare provided by company is PPO only, and offers 2 plans, both of which are ridiculously expensive for a single employee. I have heard this is even worse if you have dependents or a spouse.
    - Poor working conditions. Days are spent in a windowless, poorly ventilated, extremely dated warehouse that has been partially converted to office space. Illegal electrical is everywhere and fire-escapes are likely not code compliant. Building is not ADA compliant. Employees (including those using assistive walking devices) are forced to walk up/down 20-25 stairs to enter building including regularly carrying heavy equipment and supplies up and down stairs.No elevators.No fire system in building. Fire codes are partially complied with by placing battery powered smoke detectors everywhere with an ample supply of batteries that must be changed by the employees.Its possible this met code in the 1980s when the place was converted, but unlikely. Several un-serviced non-commercial grade air conditioners serve the building along with a few swamp coolers. Allergies and sickness are rampant in the office likely on part of the improper HVAC systems. Desks and chairs are from the 80's to late 90's, completely worn out, and most likely not OSHA compliant. Ergonomics simply do not exist. Non-permanent emergency escape lights are installed and may or may not work. I would not want to be in this building if there ever was a fire.I was forced to sit for about 8 months in a completely worn out and filthy chair with no padding left, no arms, and a back that was falling down several times a day.
    - Inadequate equipment and office supplies: Provided laptop is 4 years old, and in multiple modes of failure. Equipment is too old to provide adequate work output, including failing hard disks, failing displays that only work some of the time or not at all, failing USB ports, failing batteries, UPS systems that are completely dead, inadequate CPU power and memory for modern needs. Outdated software and minimal to no support from corporate offices. Every single Engineer on the contract has requested updated hardware, which had been turned down by the corporate offices. I've even witnessed employees walking around with USB keyboards to plug into outdated, used up laptops where the built in keyboard and mouse no longer functions. Requests for other basic office supplies such as pens, notepads, post-it notes, etc are met with disdain. If you plan to work here, plan on bringing in your own mouse, keyboard, and other peripherals and office supplies, chairs, etc.At least, batteries are provided. 2 external monitors were provided, one of which was actually a television(!) that would turn off by itself at random intervals.
    - Management is completely ineffective. Concerns are raised and never addressed. Government employees regularly and directly task contract employees with additional duties that are not part of the contract, to which it is my belief is in violation of any government contract that is not listed as a "personal service contract," which, to the best of my knowledge, this is not. Contractors are left to manage their own work including project management and other duties that are not laid out in the job description or delegated to those workers to perform under the contract. Day-to-day duties are not discussed and are not assigned to contractors by the Vision contract management. Little to no direction is provided, and employees are left to "fend for themselves" in dealing directly with government employees.
    - Virtually no documentation of existing systems, procedures, network diagrams, etc are provided to contract employees. This can make it difficult to impossible to carry out the designated scope of work. Any documentation that has been provided has been completely out of date and does not reflect the current state of the networks/systems/ or procedures that are expected to be carried out/maintained by contract employees.
    - Some (but not all) government employees are difficult to work with and refuse, or obstruct access to necessary information in order to perform the scope of work as defined.
    - Nearly no general Standard Operating Procedures seem to exist, and if they do, they are not provided to contract employees. You are left on your own to "discover" what these procedures might be, and then to follow them,while being reprimanded by government employees for failing to follow procedures you were not aware of.
    - The district has failed to provide adequate funding for replacement equipment over the years. The entire network (350+ schools, 40 admin sites, and many other tertiary organizations including a public television station, a city, prisons, and minor police organizations) is made up of a complete hodge-podge of random equipment from multiple vendors and generations, none of which works together well. Due to lack of stock of proper replacement equipment, network repair has literally been pulling working but 15+ year old equipment from locations to re-deploy in other locations where equipment is more "needed". This leaves network "management" to develop ad-hoc, custom solutions for supporting and maintaining equipment in environments where this mode of operation was never intended by the vendors nor the employees who designed the network.
    - Some contractors are working, possibly in conflict of interest, on multiple contracts simultaneously. This leads to a lack of resources on the core contracts that have given Vision a place in the Las Vegas market.

Advice to Management

- Provide appropriate compensation to employees at market rate.
    - Provide adequate benefits that match or exceed those of the home office employees back in Maryland.
    - Provide benefits that match market norms for the long-term positions being filled.
    - Provide industry standard temp-to-perm agreements with subs such as TEKSystems that are reflective of benefits provided to employees that are on long-term contracts.
    - Provide adequate equipment, office supplies, and OSHA compliant office furniture to your employees.
    - Maintain compliance with federal, state, and local laws and regulations in regards to compensation and work environment.
    - Take interest in your employees. An off-site happy-hour was provided once in which the home office employees that were in town showed just about zero interest in their contractors. Believe me, this was noticed by the staff out here in Las Vegas.
    - You have absolutely failed your employees on long-term contracts outside of the DC area. This needs recognition by those sitting back in Glen Burnie, and action needs to be taken to ensure the long-term viability of Vision's contract offerings in Nevada.

"Amoral company cares nothing for it's employees"

Former Employee - Data Center Technician in Elk Grove Village, IL
    Former Employee - Data Center Technician in Elk Grove Village, IL

I worked at Vision Technologies (Less than a year)

Pros

I wish I could state a pro for this company, but I cannot due to the lack of support I received.

Cons

The company is willing to fire you at the first sign of trouble and is willing to throw you under the bus to protect it's own interests. Also the company only has one major contract with a major computer company, and if it were to lose that contract, their company would lose major amounts of business.
    In my situation, I was terminated because the company they were doing business with did not like me, and in order to preserve their own company interests, Vision fired me to protect their interests.

Advice to Management

The management needs to back their employees more and represent them when it comes to disputes with the companies they are doing business with, and provide better backing to support those employees when there is a dispute. The company also needs to work on more contracts in more areas to develop backup to support the company's interests in case one contracted is ended quickly.

"train-wreck leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

Pros

I am at a loss to add anything positive except remote telework could be an option if you are eligible.

Cons

Management doesn't know what they are looking for in fulfilling positions. Watch out here. No stability here. During my on boarding company hired 6 new people. In less than 2 months, all of the new hires either resigned or were fired.

Advice to Management

Be honest about the scope of the project or assignment. Actually, do an interview with prospect applicants. Don't hire on the spot. Before you launch a project, have everything in place.