VividCortex Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
VividCortex CEO Amena Ali
Amena Ali
  1. Featured Review

"Great Team, Impressive Leadership, Industry-leading Product, Strong Vision"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at VividCortex full-time for less than a year

Pros

VividCortex has put the right people in the right positions and is very strategic in all hires. From senior leadership to entry-level positions, every person is a strong fit and willing to work hard. That includes both cultural "feel" fit and goal-exceeding "production" fit. From the first day starting at VividCortex, the culture has been different. Including the tight-knit connection between sales and... engineering, leadership's willingness to listen to product, industry & sales strategy suggestions, and the team's willingness to spend time getting new hires up to speed as quickly as possible. The VividCortex product, team, leadership and vision is what gets everyone excited to show up every day, ready to work hard toward a shared goal. As cliché as it is- VividCortex embodies the work hard, play hard mentality. We celebrate big wins (together) and we work to right the ship after less desirable outcomes (together). It's an exciting time to be a part of an organization where you can see your work have a direct impact on performance, growth & direction.

Cons

On-boarding new hires is a challenge as it is not a very structured process. This is pretty typical, status quo for rapidly growing startups. Other than that, nothing much to report on here.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your employees and challenge them. This company is going places and everyone is excited to be along for the ride.

VividCortex2019-04-10
  2. "A strong team and a great product"

Current Employee - Anonymous Engineer

I have been working at VividCortex full-time for more than a year

Pros

Strong values and a hiring process driven by those values has created a smart, innovative team that is respectful and works well together.

Cons

Some technical debt and disorganization that is to be expected in a small startup. Managers have neither the time nor the desire to micro-manage: you need some degree of self-motivation and tolerance for changing priorities.

VividCortex2019-09-11
  3. "Exciting & Smart Company"

Current Employee - Business Development Representative

I have been working at VividCortex full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everyone here is extremely collaborative and willing to help in anyway possible. Everyone has a vision of what the company can do and all work hard together to achieve goals. It is a fun, smart, dynamic group of people!

Cons

No cons come to mind!

Advice to Management

Keep working hard!

VividCortex2019-08-07
  4. "Amazing people within an amazing company"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Arlington, VA

I have been working at VividCortex full-time for less than a year

Pros

From the day you start at VividCortex you receive a warm welcoming from not only your team, but the entire company. It's a very open and collaborative environment, that is always there when you have questions or in need of help. The team you are surrounded by always push you to become better, and have a mind site of moving forward. The vision the team has as a whole cannot be compared, every individual is motivated... and always striving for the betterment of the team as a whole. I would highly recommend anyone to take a look at VividCortex when considering a new place to call home. You will not regret it.

Cons

No cons come to mind

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, your team appreciates it!

VividCortex2019-08-06

VividCortex Response

August 7, 2019HR Generalist

Thank you for recognizing our vision and mindset of the team as a whole. We all have the same goals and strive to better ourselves TOGETHER every day. Glad to have you on the Sales team!

5. "Excellent Company / Team / Product"

Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Arlington, VA

I have been working at VividCortex full-time for less than a year

Pros

Such a great environment to work in and the team is excellent. I genuinely look forward to going to work and have made great friends here. Lots of room to grow and many different directions you can go within the company. Proud to be on the team.

Cons

Literally nothing, I just have to put text here so here I am.

Advice to Management

Keep Rockin

VividCortex2019-07-29

VividCortex Response

July 31, 2019HR Generalist

Thanks for taking the time to post this great review! I'm glad you are enjoying working at VividCortex. We are in an exciting time where the company is growing fast and hiring people like yourself is what keeps VividCortex a great place to work. Keep rockin'!

"Great small startup that checks all the right boxes for me"

I have been working at VividCortex full-time for more than a year

Pros

I am not a recent graduate so I have a lot of experience with other companies and after having worked here for over a year I can't see how another company could provide a meaningfully better experience than what I have now at VividCortex. There is a strong feeling of contributing to the success of the company in my day to day work and everyone involved always make sure to give credit to my work when it was... impactful. We are guided by how we are reaching out goals for the company, whether we are fulfilling our values and individual achievements. When we fail the conversation is never about blame but about how we can improve our methods or approach. Feedback is direct but thoughtful, and good work is acknowledged. The managers are very integrated with everyone else, they join meetings often but know not to override others. I have received a raise after one of my evaluations because they believed it was deserved, I didn't have to ask or negotiate. I feel that the company recognized my value and show it in different ways that matter. In terms of culture, everyone is respectful and kind. There is a sense that we work as a team and each job is very critical to getting things done; but also nobody wants to work with a difficult person and so far in my experience nobody in VividCortex is a difficult person to deal with. Another positive aspect is that we are focused on what matters which is to serve our clients well and to grow as a company. I personally consider perks at other tech companies as gimmicks that don't matter to success. At VividCortex we get among other things, allowance for training materials to learn, extra money for health spending, and support for being flexible with our time when our health or family duties require it. Having someone like Baron is definitely an advantage for me. I work closely with him and I'm impressed with how thoughtful he is with people he works with. I am learning a lot, not just about the industry but about startups, business and many other topics through our conversations. Amena, our new CEO is also great. She is so competent that I have no worries about the future of the company, I think we are in good hands.

Cons

I don't have a lot of cons but keep in mind that it's a relatively small company and that may be not for everyone. It is a growth minded startup, so it's common that some things change, like management may change, or product direction gets updated. I expect these things and welcome the challenge, but may not be for everyone.

Advice to Management

It's great that you both informally and through HR get feedback from your employees, we feel heard and appreciated, keep that up.

VividCortex2019-02-01
  7. "Great Opportunity to Impact the Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at VividCortex full-time for more than a year

Pros

I joined the company in mid-2017, and have seen some ups and downs during that time, but since experiencing heavy turnover in late 2017 and early 2018, the company has been on a strong upward trajectory. The executive team from 2017 has been almost entirely replaced, (including hiring a new CEO, head of Product, and head of Marketing) and the new team has been consistently prioritizing its customers, product, and... employees. The focus and execution has been much sharper recently, without the indecision I observed in 2017. The culture also seems like it is changing. I enjoy working with the other people on the team, and everyone seems to really care about the outcome of the company compared to other places I have worked. The best thing about working at VividCortex is the opportunity you get to impact the direction of the company. Since there are only about 45 people that work here, everyone is expected to chip in wherever and whenever they can, and people have developed an attitude of urgency and collaboration. If you show promise in your role, and are eager to contribute in areas beyond your core job responsibilities, you will be given an opportunity to do more than you thought you'd have the chance to.

Cons

Focus was a struggle for the company in late 2017, and as such, there wasn't that much progress made in key areas. Also, losing people who you enjoy working with is hard. It can be difficult to travel in and out of Charlottesville, but on the other hand, the city is beautiful! The new CEO has positively impacted stability and organization.

Advice to Management

Stay focused. Do the research, decide on a direction, and execute. Continue to provide the career opportunities that give people fulfillment, and keep working to make this a fun place to work!

VividCortex2019-02-04

"Silicon Valley start-up feel but on the East Coast!"

I have been working at VividCortex full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Silicon Valley start-up feel but on the East Coast, which is a good thing if you're into tech - Fun, laidback environment - Very open to talk to everyone on every level of management - Work/life balance is great - Global company with people across the world - Company travels you to their headquarters in beautiful Charlottesville at least once a year

Cons

- People in management are all fairly new to the company, while VividCortex is growing and phasing out of a real start-up title. Could cause a lot of confusion for some people in where the direction of the company could go. - If you're not very social and are working remote, it could feel like you're not really interacting with the rest of the company and its culture.

Advice to Management

I know it's hard picking up pieces from a fairly new management team, so keep trying to learn the current culture and listen to them while it is scaling into something bigger. You're doing a great job at maintaining the 'fun' factor, now try and scale that as VividCortex grows into a larger workforce.

VividCortex2019-01-30

"Bad to Worse"

I worked at VividCortex full-time for more than a year

Pros

A few nice folks, work/life balance

Cons

Too many to name but poor leadership/management is the root. Completely clueless on how to move the business forward and motivate the team. I have never seen so many folks leave of their own volition sometimes without anything else lined up. It comes down to "A" companies get "A" players and keep them, VC is a C company. One of the worst experiences I've had.

Advice to Management

Delegate and trust those that you employ. Don't be so elitist that you are blinded from your shortcomings.

VividCortex2018-06-04

"Supportive Team, Cool Technology, But SALESPEOPLE BEWARE!"

I worked at VividCortex full-time

Pros

1. Compensation: Generous base pay and lucrative commission structure (if you can actually schedule meetings and close sales) 2. Benefits: Company Paid Health Insurance (an excellent plan!), 401(k) (no match yet), take-it-as-you-need-it vacation, gym reimbursement (up to $100/mo.), free snacks and drinks, occasional company lunches, company laptop, ergonomic chairs and standing desks 3. Open-Office Environment:... Collaborative atmosphere where various teams can easily communicate with and support one another even if they sit in different rooms (or different states and countries for that matter) 4. Work-Life Balance: Employees set a high standard through hard work but there are no brownie points for working late 5. Valuable Resources: Access to a host of robust platforms, databases, websites, etc. to make the market research and prospecting process that much easier 6. Thought Leadership: CEO is the author of High Performance MySQL so he’s considered an expert in certain niches of the database community 7. Location: Office is right off Pedestrian Mall in the heart of downtown Charlottesville 8. Technology: Represent a robust platform that is advancing and hoping to revolutionize the database monitoring space

Cons

1. Extremely Difficult Sell: First and foremost, understand that hardly any prospects will pick up the phone. For every 100 dials, expect 5 people to answer and only 1 person to have a conversation with you who is actually qualified. Most people will just never answer even if you're calling from randomly generated numbers with a local area code (VividCortex uses legal technology to facilitate this). The company's... audience (predominantly DBAs) is very introverted, making the salesperson's job that much more difficult. Not only do prospects practically hate salespeople, they also know more about the technology that VividCortex supports, which is unlike most every other sales job. Usually, salespeople are the experts in the product they represent but not so much with VividCortex because of the technical nature of the sale. This is the kind of job where having little to no sales experience is actually a bonus. From my experience in this role, proper speech and articulation were actually detriments to success since the audience just didn’t want to engage with salespeople anyways. The market for VividCortex’s product is not nearly as extensive as the company would like to think. Management often touts the fact that VividCortex has no known direct competitors, yet any entrepreneur can realize that the very presence of direct competitors is product validation. Rather than competing against known providers in the market, salespeople are forced to compete against their prospects’ inertia (the “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” mentality), which is probably the most challenging sale anyone could make. The company is basically trying to convince DBAs that they can to do database monitoring better through VividCortex (which is actually true), even though less robust database monitoring platforms might be adequate for most DBAs. Somehow VividCortex thinks it’s a good idea for its least technical employees to deliver this message to very technical people. 2. Insufficient Marketing Support: Marketing provides quality and educational but ultimately inadequate content to support the sales team. The company hosts a number of informative webinars and it publishes relevant blog posts, but those efforts seem to evangelize the product rather than generate sales or even qualify leads. Most leads that come from marketing aren’t even qualified, so marketing support becomes more of a distraction from selling. 3. Inaccessible Market: VividCortex has defined the market its pursuing or at least wants to pursue, but the company clearly hasn’t identified a way to attract the mass market. It’s facing the classic “Crossing the Chasm” dilemma that so many startups encounter. VividCortex has grown rapidly since its founding but that growth is probably a result of early adopter clients knowing of the CEO through his book. Unfortunately, only so many DBAs are familiar with High Performance MySQL and many of them aren’t even using the open-source databases VividCortex fully supports. 4. Unrealistic Goals: Management has expected salespeople to schedule 25 demos/month in the past, even though experienced and successful salespeople never produced those numbers. It’s as if management picked that number out of thin air because it sounded impressive. 5. Subtle Company Indoctrination: Earth Day is a holiday, which is actually a nice gesture on the company’s part. Nothing harmful there but I’m concerned that getting off for Earth Day is part of the CEO advancing his own political agenda through VividCortex. The company toes a dangerous line by honoring Earth Day above all the other “holidays” on the calendar. For example, I highly doubt that the CEO would take off for Lee-Jackson Day even though many Virginia-based companies consider that day a holiday. 6. CEO’s View of Salespeople: Though I can’t prove this, Baron seems to see salespeople as inferior to developers and other professions for that matter. While I was working at VividCortex, Baron addressed the salespeople as “sales guppies” when leaving the office one evening. Maybe that comment was somehow meant as a compliment but my understanding is that the term guppies refers to a smaller fish in nature. I can understand Baron not liking salespeople in general (just like most DBAs), but I certainly hope he respects them. After all, the very lifeblood depends on the quality of his salespeople. Kind of makes me wonder why sales has been a historical struggle at VividCortex.

Advice to Management

1. Sales vs. Marketing: Determine if VividCortex is more of a sales or marketing driven company. Sure, your venture needs both but one effort needs to primarily lead the charge into battle so to speak. Is sales predominantly sending leads to marketing or vice versa? What is the most efficient way to qualify your leads and which team is more-or-less responsible for that process? What is the appropriate mix of sales... and marketing? VividCortex should only be hiring additional salespeople when there are a sufficient number of qualified leads to support another person on the payroll. Don’t hire more salespeople because more sales could be made; hire for sales once marketing determines that more sales should and will be made. 2. Persuasive Marketing: Marketing content needs to do more than just educate, though educating prospects is the first step in the buying cycle. As a side note, if VividCortex is still focused on educating its target market then the company has definitely hired too many salespeople in the past. The marketing team needs to provide mass market prospects with content that effectively communicates VividCortex’s business case. Skeptical DBAs need to hear how much time and money VividCortex can help them save, not just that their databases will run more efficiently. 3. Leverage Existing Relationships: VividCortex has an impressive list of clients that it should leverage to attract new sales. So many employees of existing clients leave to work for a prospective client. In many cases, those same employees have used and have had a positive experience with VividCortex. Management, don’t reprimand salespeople for pursuing this strategy (like you did with me after I was told otherwise) unless it’s been proven unsuccessful. I spent more time researching these prospects but I definitely had more fruitful conversations than when calling through a list of tradeshow attendees. 4. Realistic Goals: Set realistic expectations of your salespeople (if your VCs will let you). Know that even with all the technology the team uses, salespeople still aren’t robots. Remember that salespeople spend time researching prospects, which takes away from calling and emailing. Make sure that expectations are clearly communicated so that salespeople know how to improve if they’re underperforming. Also, provide a basis for the numbers rather than just picking a figure that seemingly came out of thin air. 5. Trial Employment: Give your salespeople a legitimate chance at the position. If you’re only willing to keep a salesperson on board for a few months, then why hire them as a full-time employee in the first place? Consider hiring salespeople for a trial period so that both parties can determine a good mutual fit. It’s actually a pretty common practice amongst startups these days. That way VividCortex would be save everyone from undue headache and heartache. 6. Accurate Representation: Recruiters, make sure you’re accurately representing the position to prospective salespeople. Don’t lump CIOs and CTOs into the same category as DBAs. Sure, CIOs and CTOs play in the same arena as DBAs but they are vastly different positions in most companies. Not to mention that there’s usually a stark difference in the personality traits between these roles, which makes selling to a DBA a completely different animal than selling to a CTO. VividCortex only does its sales team a major disservice by failing to make this key distinction, so please ensure that every salesperson you interview understands that they will primarily sell to DBAs. 7. New CEO: Baron is a great writer, programmer, thought leader, visionary, and entrepreneur, but he is definitely not fit to lead VividCortex. His passive aggressive personality is a detriment to the very nature of a fast-growing startup where crystal clear communication and precise execution are key. Baron has done an excellent job of growing VividCortex to its current state, but someone with more operational experience needs to scale the company moving forward. The new CEO should execute on Baron’s vision only after working out the kinks in the sales process. Bottom Line: VividCortex is like a star-studded sports team with a great playbook that lacks a high-caliber coach. All the right pieces of the puzzle are there to win a championship, but the execution of the game plan is way off. With the right people sitting in the right seats on the bus so to speak, VividCortex would be a much more amazing startup to work for and it might actually stop burning through so much cash as well as salespeople.

VividCortex2017-09-02