WePay Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bill Clerico

Pros
Cons
  • Some growing pains - the "champagne problems" of a company on a fast growth trajectory (in 6 reviews)

• The company is growing fast, which is a great thing, but there's still a lot to figure out (in 3 reviews)

1. "Awesome opportunities here!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at WePay full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company, great people. Many opportunities here

Cons

Sometimes the free lunch is delayed about 20 mins

2. "Great company to work for!"

I have been working at WePay full-time

Pros

Great leadership and sales team!

Cons

Speed of product, timeline execution.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on employees and their development!

"High growth startup with good career opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at WePay full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are genuine, hard working, passionate, and talented. We've reached product market fit and our business is taking off. The executive team is doing a great job. It is an exciting time to be an employee at WePay.

Cons

Typical challenges of high growth companies: some people can feel overworked, tensions can run high when problems arise. Limited resources force us to make serious product development tradeoffs.

Advice to Management

If WePay is to join the "unicorns" of the Bay Area, we'll need to continue to invest in our people, retain and grow good benefits, improve compensation.

"Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at WePay full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very friendly environment. Good people to work for. I enjoyed being able to go to owrk with friends and enjoy a team atmospher.

Cons

Pay structure changed a few times on the sales side making it difficult to know what metrics were important and what to shoot for.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. People like coming to an environment where they know everyone is pulling in the same direction. Just make sure that you're clear and consistent with your goals.

"Hires foreign workers and sponsors immediately for Greencards"

Pros

Great product! Cool people to work with. Great pay and benefits package. Working on a revolutionary payment product that does millions in transactions every month. Well funded for now.

Cons

The main con is that this company hires a lot of foreign workers over Americans and invest a large portion on these worker's immigration process. For example, they hired a software engineer and straight away spent over $10,000 in legal fees to do his green card application. The first day he joined the company, that is when they started his process! Usually, foreign workers are supposed to be with the company for X number of years before the process starts, and for these particular folks, WePay jumped straight into giving them green cards right off the bat! What if the worker turned out to be not that great? You just wasted $10,000 just like that!

Advice to Management

Stop sponsoring green cards immediately the moment a foreign worker joins a company. Not even public companies do that process. Educated yourselves before you realize what you're getting into. You are spending crucial company funding on immigration work which is totally unnecessary given there are plenty of Americans who could do the job.

"Great place to work!"

I have been working at WePay full-time

Pros

+Company is growing fast in an untapped market
    +Major decisions are made based on strong core values
    +You're empowered to take action, solve problems and add value to the business
    +Your peers are smart (IQ and EQ), passionate and quirky
    +An authentic and transparent culture

Cons

The company is growing fast, which is a great thing, but there's still a lot to figure out. The workload is heavy and as with any rapidly growing company, there are growing pains related to new processes as the company scales effectively.

Advice to Management

Continue to hire top talent and invest in employees. It's our staff that'll make WePay successful.

"Best company I ever worked for...."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at WePay full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Founders are young, hip, inquisitive, understand how important culture is....deeply care about employee happiness and work/life balance...

Cons

Company moved from Palo Alto to Redwood City, which was an even farther commute for me...wish I never left

Advice to Management

Seems like you attracted and hired some very talented individuals, can't wait to see where WePay ends up...wish you nothing but success, always!

9. "Great company overall. Small nits that every company deals with as they grow."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at WePay full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic culture, mostly meritocratic in Engineering. People want to work together to accomplish great things. Very little ego or bravado. CEO and executive team is engaged and hands-on. They know what's going on at the front-lines.

Cons

Culture and values are not yet part of the hiring process. Engineering interviews suffer like most engineering interviews do -- too much focus on algorithms, and not enough on legit problem-solving. Teams are not very good at communicating with each other in the day-to-day, so they sometimes end up stepping on each other. It takes a lot of intentional effort to keep up with things across departments. No UX team at all. Overall compensation is much lower than other companies in the area. Some people are not leveled appropriately in the company.

Advice to Management

Doing a really great job so far. Some of that is the result of intentional focus, but some stuff is working by accident. Stay close to the front line workers, maintain ego-checking and merit-based decision making, listen 2x as much as you talk, improve and require interview training, and be intentional about facilitating day-to-day communication between departments.

Lastly, the Bay Area is insanely expensive. Better overall compensation would be a huge help. Offices in less expensive areas would too.

"Loved working at WePay"

Former Employee - G&A in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - G&A in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at WePay full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, unified teams, amazing culture

Cons

in a stage of hyper growth, some lack of communication

"Work hard, play hard"

Former Employee - Deadpool Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Deadpool Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at WePay full-time (More than a year)

Pros

WePay's a group of really bright, quirky, hard-working people. I know that's not the words you'd use to describe your average payments company, but it describes WePay pretty well. I have fond memories of this place.

The execs are awesome. I know that can sound like vague marketing gibberish, but I mean it. They're down-to-earth, funny, and really good at what they do. The founders are nice but intense. They're laser-focused on company-building and I've only earned respect for them with time.

Engineering is an extremely well-run ship. Yes, there's legacy code to clean up, but every good startup winds up rewriting their codebase several times. Scaling is intrinsically hard. That's just how things work. Recruiting went out of their way to get excellent high-level ICs and management on board and they're absolutely fantastic. You'll become really familiar with OLTP semantics and API design and you'll become good at both.

The startup's doing really, really well. There are growing pains involved, but that's going to happen anywhere you have rapid growth.

I can't explain how much fun I had working here. I probably left 10x a better applications engineer and a lot of that comes from the humans-first, work hard / play hard culture of WePay.

Cons

It's a mid-sized startup. Yes, you will work hard, there is business risk, and the org is in flux and rapidly changing. That's what success looks like. If you can't handle that, then you're probably not cut out for startups.

Advice to Management

I think you guys have a good handle of things. Keep executing.