WideOrbit Reviews

Updated Jul 1, 2020

3.8
WideOrbit Founder & CEO Eric R. Mathewson
Eric R. Mathewson
Pros
  • "Work/life balance is the best I've ever experienced at any corporate job(in 24 reviews)

• "Possibility to work from home, which helps me to take care of my kids(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "Many of the above are common growing pains in a fast-paced, growing company(in 11 reviews)

• "Not specifically related to the company however when a company is growing at a fast pace there are bound to be some growing pains(in 8 reviews)

1. "Energetic company where people are valued"

I have been working at WideOrbit full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Company gives you the opportunity to "own" your area, design processes and really make an impact. Each employee's contribution is significant. A growing company with a lot of energy, you will never be bored or stagnant.

Cons

Can be very busy at critical times, but management makes up for this with other benefits (generous vacation, team building outings, holiday celebrations, etc)

"Watch out for legacy employees and don't contradict them"

1.0
    Former Employee - Accounting in San Francisco, CA

I worked at WideOrbit full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are good people at the company who want to participate in making change for the better.

Cons

The company has severe problems related to legacy employees and their HR Department that prevent the company from growing or moving forward in the arena of public companies (they have tried this but failed to do so). 1. Inability to adapt to a public company mindset - employees who have been with the company for several years are very resistant to change. These groups do not embrace Sox rules, Technical Accounting under US GAAP, etc. The lack of cooperation comes from lack of understanding. For example, being in a meeting discussing US GAAP rules have having several blurt out during the meeting 'no, absolutely not'. ii. Inability to scale existing processes to growth, change in environment, new systems, etc - the skill set of the applications support group spreads the company's ability to respond to support requests, trouble shooting a stop gap in the process very thin. This is not scalable given how flexible accounting needs to be to customers. iii. Current employee skillset in accounting is very limited and often primitive in terms of running a functional organization. Anything regulatory related, new ERP systems or supporting processes are not accepted in the HR, Accounting or Operations Groups. This is very much linked to issue ii above, however, these same groups cannot break out of the following habitual mindsets: a. "We've never done it that way before...." b. "No........" c. "We've always had activity in this account so something has to go there....." d. "Out contracts guarantee X", upon review it is clear that the either these people haven't read the contracts or lack the ability to understand basic English language structure. These are not complicated, they do require someone read them first before taking action that results in billing/accounting activity that is not valid. e. .....there is more but I don't have four hours to walk you through all of them iv. Most importantly, you are NOT rewarded for your work. A significant project with tangible results will either be marginalized or your employment is terminated before any remuneration is given. This is unprofessional, a cheap trick, below the belt and barbaric toward someone who has devoted blood sweat and time away from family to produce a quality work product.

"Working at WideOrbit"

Current Employee - Manager, Database Engineer in Lynnwood, WA

I have been working at WideOrbit full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

So far I have truly enjoyed my time at WideOrbit. The people working here are friendly, hard-working, and fun to be around and the work-life balance is amazing. Pros include good benefits, work life balance, interesting work, challenging work, learning opportunities, and amazing co-workers.

Cons

It's a smaller company so you get normal small company problems which are usually trade offs. Things like less process but the ability to get stuff done without too much red tape. Breadth of work but people going to the same person who will get stuff done.

4. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Product Owner in Birmingham, AL

I worked at WideOrbit full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of resources and training available, good benefits, great snacks and company outings

Cons

long hours , communication issues

"A wonderful company to work for that really invests in employees"

Current Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at WideOrbit full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits package and flexible on time off. Positive work environment. Coworkers are eager to help you learn and grow. Opportunities to advance your career. Many employees have been with the company for a long time. Flexibility to work from a home office or from a WideOrbit office. Management is top notch. They are eager to help and listen to their teams well.

Cons

Internal workflows and processes can be a little unclear. Product teams/department are fairly silo'd in their business (but this has been made a priority to address).

Continue reading

"They're good at picking good people"

Current Employee - Developer Support Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at WideOrbit full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work environment Fun stuff to learn, interesting product, complex, interesting problems Generous benefits Well placed in the industry Many paths/opportunities to advance Management is willing to make hard decisions with staff

Cons

Management is willing to make hard decisions with staff

Continue reading

"A proud WideOrbiter for 13 years"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Springfield, MO

I have been working at WideOrbit full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

With this company I've been given every opportunity to succeed, and feel I've been more than adequately compensated for doing so. I'm proud to be part of a company where hard work is justly rewarded. I've been happily employed with WideOrbit for 13 years and have every intention of one day retiring from WideOrbit feeling every bit as grateful and fulfilled in my career path as I am today.

Cons

I work remotely from my home office (by choice, and I know that I could move to one of our established office locations at any time if I wanted to ), and sometimes I do miss the comraderie of seeing/working with my peers in a closer physical environment. However, WideOrbit supplies and encourages the use of cameras during internal meetings, which gives me the opportunity to have face-to-face interactions with my co-workers across the country on a consistent basis.

8. "Smart people getting things done"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lynnwood, WA

I have been working at WideOrbit full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

If you like a small engineering team where you can really feel your impact, this is a good place to be. The TV industry is changing and we are helping our clients blaze the trail. Collaborative environment Friendly employees Close to amenities I truly feel that management cares about me as a person as well as a resource.

Cons

Sometimes the office can seem a bit quiet.

Continue reading

"Great company, kind & smart senior leadership"

I have been working at WideOrbit full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Thoughtful leadership translates into a positive corporate culture -Work/life balance is the best I've ever experienced at any corporate job -People who work smart & work hard are rewarded -Open platform all the way through senior management to have your thoughts and ideas heard

Cons

Hustle required - a bit of a startup culture at an established company, need to be ready to roll up your sleeves and get the job done even when it's not straightforward

"A mature company trying to expand into new markets"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lynnwood, WA

I have been working at WideOrbit full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

WideOrbit has all but completed the take over of the broadcast/network/radio traffic software spaces in the US and Canada. It is not a startup. It has created the most valuable software code base for these industries, and it built it on top of proven technologies that work (C++, Delphi, SQL Server, MySQL, Hadoop, C#, ActiveScript). This is important in a corporate world where running reliable/stable software is critical to generate revenue. WideOrbit understands their niche and builds software that traffics billions of dollars in spots a year. As developers, We all would love to work with the most bleeding edge, buzzword rich tech in a glamorous social media setting, there is limited room to do that at WO. What you do get instead, is the opportunity to work with friendly, smart people on well defined problems, for customers that positively love your product, and be paid at a higher than market rate, enjoy great vacation benefits (4-5wk sabbaticals) and flexible working arrangements. For that "shiny object" itch, you are provided with access to online training and are free to indulge your interests.

Cons

WideOrbit suffers from a lack of a clear on boarding process. This is a common complaint and it is real. New hires are sometimes confused as to where to go to acquire domain knowledge or what they are expected to know. We make up somewhat by *everyone* at the whole company being accessible and open to answer questions. WideOrbit has forgotten what their core business really is. The digital effort has not panned out so far, and our vision of selling media programmatically has had poor reception from our customers.

Found 164 reviews