Yellow Pages Reviews | Glassdoor

Yellow Pages CEO Julien Billot
Julien Billot

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Very inflexible in terms of work-life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Disconnect between BC team and senior management in Toronto (in 10 reviews)

"Director"

I worked at Yellow Pages full-time

Pros

Great colleagues, flexible work schedule.

Cons

Since operates in very old-fashioned methods. Not open to innovative ideas and very slow to change. Doesn't leverage the talent to take advantage of fresh perspectives on products & processes.

"Easy and relaxed, but a dead end job"

I have been working at Yellow Pages full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

No stress, flexible hours, easy, and great coworkers. We all kind of feel like we're on a sinking ship, but it's a comfortable ship with good people to talk to as the ship sinks. We can take time off pretty much any time we need it, and if you're good at your job, you can spend a good portion of the day hanging out. Most people probably spend 30-40% of the day working. I never have to take work home with me, not ever!

The managers and senior managers all kind of share the same pain as the grunts, so they understand and are empathetic towards us.

Cons

Low pay, no growth opportunities. It's very unlikely that in Indianapolis you will ever move beyond your current position. The prospect of layoffs always feels a little too present. Pay is well below average, and we see no signs that will ever change. There is almost no motivation to work harder or perform better, because the best employees and the worst employees will both never go anywhere. Very little reward or consequence for job performance.

Corporate leadership pays lip service to employee engagement, but little more. Even after we say exactly why our morale is low, executives dismiss and deflect to latch onto unrelated issues. Caring about how employees feel stops COLD above the senior managers.

The sales team seems to have largely given up, and shifts blame to production teams. Because we rely on them for our jobs, we're all doomed when they fail to perform.

There are no exhaustive training programs, unless you count a Lynda subscription, of which we are officially allowed 8 hours of training time...per year. The digital production teams are supposed to be the future of YP, but we're certainly not treated like it.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees. Don't just say you take employee engagement very seriously, then deflect our concerns and say you think it's actually something else that's wrong. We know what's wrong; we live it.

Pay us what we're worth to the company. If we feel like we're worth little, we'll work like we're worth little.

Since our job is entirely on the internet, let us work from home sometimes. By flatly denying this, corporate demonstrates they have no trust or confidence in employees.

Reward high performers, and not just hopefully at the beginning of the year, if everyone else does well too. Don't make the managers and senior managers go behind your corporate backs to offer unsanctioned benefits for employees.

"Senior Manager, Toronto"

I worked at Yellow Pages full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits
    I have had the chance to meet some good people over the years, I had a great career and I have learned a lot.

Cons

Very few people with integrity left.
    Politics became worse than 4-5 years ago when we thought it was the worst possible – it is all about me (the one in power). There is no question if we are doing it right or if you just care about the team to be successful: Are you with me or against me? That is it! And not even that: do they THINK you are against them? well, you are out! Too much is about perception not reality.
    Way too many layoffs and a lot of fear who is next one out, depending on what director comes in power and where are they located.
    The union should realize that they are part of the problem: if people come to work to cheat and waste as much time as they possibly can, the business can not be successful and that is a vicious circle: you do not have a company to work for, so no more job.

Advice to Management

Stop lying about the reality on the floor just to make you look good at the end of the year. Stop sending numbers that you do not even know what they represent just to make up a nice PPT presentation so the VP can congratulate you. It is short lived and everyone will talk about it. If you do not admit you have problems, you can not start fixing them. It is true that made me unemployed, but at least I can sleep at night that I did everything in my power to fix something.

Feb 24, 2017 – Yellow Pages / Pages Jaunes - Canada

At YP, we try to offer a collaborative, transparent and interesting work environment for all our employees and we’re sorry to hear that your experience did not meet the expectations we’ve set out for... More

"A good place to work if you're just looking for a steady, low-stress job"

Pros

The people who work there are really nice, and the benefits are good. You also don't have to worry about work outside of working hours, which is pretty great.

Cons

You're not rewarded for working hard or for doing great work, and you aren't punished for slacking off. As a result, there's a huge disparity in work ethic and productivity, but not in salary.

Advice to Management

There needs to be more of an incentive to work hard.

Feb 20, 2017 – Yellow Pages / Pages Jaunes - Canada

We hear you. Employee engagement is critical to the success of any company. That’s why we’re constantly trying to find ways to recognize our employees’ accomplishments. There’s no one-size-fits-all... More

5. "YP review"

Current Employee - Web
    Current Employee - Web

I have been working at Yellow Pages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

laid back environment, nice benefits, casual dress code

Cons

not enough opp. to grow in numbers based atmosphere

Feb 11, 2017 – Yellow Pages / Pages Jaunes - Canada

Our people are at the heart of this company and their career growth opportunities are important to us. That’s why we constantly invest in and seek funding for exhaustive training programs for all our... More

6. "Great Work Environment"

I worked at Yellow Pages full-time

Pros

Comfortable working conditions; comparable benefits; casual dress; flexible start-times.

Cons

Somewhat disconnected with company culture since main offices are in Canada; not a lot of upward mobility; pay is decent, but on the lower end for designers.

Jan 26, 2017 – Yellow Pages / Pages Jaunes - Canada

Employee engagement is critical to the success of any company, including ours, but we need to work at it every day. As we continue to work in the digital space, one that is constantly changing... More

"I would work here again"

Pros

Good people and positive environment. I would go back to work for the company if I ever relocate back to Indianapolis or if they opened a location where I currently live.

Cons

As a designer I wish there was more direct communication between the customers and the designer.

Oct 13, 2016 – Yellow Pages / Pages Jaunes - Canada

We’re glad to hear that your experience was a great one and we’ll definitely be taking your comments into consideration as we look to constantly improve our customer fulfillment experience.

8. "Senior Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Yellow Pages full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people. Good working conditions. Flexible work schedules.

Cons

Declining revenues in the Print sector.

Yellow Pages Response

Aug 11, 2016 – Coordinatrice image de marque, réseaux sociaux / Brand Coordinator, Social Media

Thank you! We are happy to offer employees competitive benefits and work life balance.
    We try to give as much flexibility as we can in order that everyone works in an environment they can thrive in... More

"computer and network operator"

Former Employee - Computer Network Operator in Blue Bell, PA
    Former Employee - Computer Network Operator in Blue Bell, PA

I worked at Yellow Pages (More than 10 years)

Pros

It was a great work environment, you can learn new technologies

Cons

It's a shame the company moved the data center back to Canada

Yellow Pages Response

Thank you for your comment. We wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

"Get on the lifeboat with an updated résumé"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Yellow Pages (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers; we band together to get through the day. Dark humor is a must. We get on Glassdoor and compare notes with the other offices in Canada. Work stays at work (until you wake up the next morning to do it all over again). Starbucks is a 10 minute walk away when you desperately need to leave the building.

Cons

The job itself is very repetitive and mundane with little gratification. You can't save much (if anything) with the pay. General office moods don't seem to get above "meh" on a good day. It's definitely not what it used to be, and maybe to reason I stayed is because I hoped it'd improve.

Much of the ad production has now been outsourced to a company overseas; doing that caused a staffing change in which some great people were let go.

Little career advancement in this office unless it's a lateral move. Any remotely interesting jobs are in Montreal, and it's not likely they'll hire within for that, no matter how qualified one is.

As far as communication goes, the left arm often doesn't know what the right one is doing. It's difficult to be on the same page with other departments. Some senior sales managers don't know how to use the main systems the reps (they're employees) use daily. Doing your best doesn't mean anything when you're overruled or capitulating to sales staff because they either can't (or refuse) to correct mistakes.

Advice to Management

Keeping the lines of communications open during latest purge was appreciated. I can only hope for the same when my job goes.

Please make sure the sales staff (reps and managers) are on the same page training wise. It's difficult to care about doing a good job when people making two or three times as much as you aren't doing theirs.

Don't use the company's transformation as an excuse to not pay people a decent wage. If you want people to stay, be happy, and care about their jobs, pay them enough so they can SAVE something instead of living paycheck to paycheck. Stop being so cheap. I've recommended working at YPG in the past with full disclosure of my opinions so I could get the referral bonus.

Stop treating the Indy office like the red-headed step child of the company.

Yellow Pages Response

Thank you for your feedback. High morale and employee well-being is of the utmost importance, not only to HR, but to all departments across the company. Through our employee engagement survey... More