Academy Sports + Outdoors Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.0

Sort:

Corporate Trainer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Katy, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Academy Sports + Outdoors (Katy, TX) in September 2012.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted about 3 weeks later to do a phone interview and in-person panel interview with a presentation the following week. I was told over the phone that I should expect a lower salary because this job would be with a "retail company."
    I went to their corporate headquarters in Katy, which turned out to be a long, dingy shopping strip that had been turned into "corporate" offices.
    I did a presentation and then 5 managers took turns firing questions off. They asked me about the presentation I designed, why I chose that topic, what I knew about it. They asked a lot of questions about my resume and some behavorial-style questions.
    They asked me if I had any questions and as I began to ask my first one, they started looking at their watches. When I asked about the flexibility of work hours and the possibility of working non-traditional hours such as 7am-4pm, this triggered one of the managers to go into a tirade about how employees are supposed to be available and at their workstations until 5pm every day and that this is the expectation of the company.
     Well, that removed the reason I would consider taking a lower salary! When salaries are lower than industry standard, companies really should be offering other perks to attract and retain talent. Through this interview, my impression of the training department was that it's very controlled and top-down. I got the feeling I would suffocate under the rigidity and my contributions would not be valued. These managers were not interested in "selling" the position or the company to me. They didn't discuss any perks or benefits. They didn't convince me that Academy would be a great company for which to work and I walked away with a pretty negative impression of how things are run.
    After two interviews, I never heard back from them.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lake Mary, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Academy Sports + Outdoors (Lake Mary, FL) in November 2016.

Interview

submitted application, interviewed with supervisor of department, came back an interviewed with another manager. Asked about experience, why did I want to work there, how would I handle certain situations

Interview Questions

• experience, why did I want to work there, how would I handle certain situations   1 Answer

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Academy Sports + Outdoors (Houston, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

Manager called me to schedule an interview. It was very simple, and I was hired on the spot. I was asked a series of questions describing my work ethic and past experiences. He also asked me to suggest an hourly wage.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

If asked to give a hourly wage, do not give a range.

Space Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Academy Sports + Outdoors (Houston, TX) in April 2011.

Interview

ask to be in a position was i know and was put in another position

Sports Interview

Interview

Go in wait for a manager to take back to the training room. Ask you question about the position. Call you in couple days for another interview. And wait and wait.

STL Interview

Anonymous Employee in Park Place Post Office, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Academy Sports + Outdoors (Park Place Post Office, GA) in March 2015.

Interview

Basic questions...focused on customer service and what you would do in certain situations. Very relaxed but by the book . structured questions. How to deal with a angry customers.

Interview Questions

• Same as all other..very customer service driven. You excitement about the job will help alot   Answer Question
    • Different situations   Answer Question

Advertising Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Katy, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Academy Sports + Outdoors (Katy, TX) in December 2013.

Interview

After one phone call with the hiring manager, I was flown to Houston for an in-person interview. While there I interviewed with a number of people all asking the same set of questions. The interview process was not to discuss skills and experience so much as it was to determine a person's personality.

Interview Questions

• Applicants are subject to a value judgment based on the company's personality blocks. Much like Lego blocks, they are four different colors, each representing a personality type, red for Type A, etc. The four blocks are then stacked by the interviewer in the order they have judged your personality and working style from top to bottom. The process seemed to go against the principles of EEOC laws and standards.   Answer Question

Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stillwater, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Academy Sports + Outdoors (Stillwater, OK) in December 2017.

Interview

Went to the back to interview with a manager. Very casual and easygoing interview. I think it was actually pretty cool because sometimes people at interviews say weird things and no one likes weird things so yeah there’s that if you are looking for it

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Academy Sports + Outdoors in January 2015.

Interview

Quick and easy. no fuss. easy process. they ask about ur resume. Nothing hard at all. phone screen then on site. based on ur position you have from 5-6 people who will interview

Interview Questions

• General questions on resume. questions on team dynamics.   Answer Question

Any Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Academy Sports + Outdoors (San Antonio, TX) in December 2015.

Interview

The interview process was a well planned an worked to make it in your scheduled, they asked about you and your past work experience, they asked questions. They asked about what you have done in school, and asked about 5 to 6 questions, about what you did at school and extra classes or programs that you where apart of.

Interview Questions

• What is a time in your work experience where you felt acomplished for a moment at work?   Answer Question