Altera Design Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Altera Design Engineer Interview Questions

3.1

11 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Altera (San Jose, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The manager called me to schedule an onsite interview. I was interviewed by four people one by one. They asked about the projects included in your resume and some related technical questions. It lasted about three hours.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Altera

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Altera (San Jose, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Several phone interviews, followed by an on-site interview. On-site was mainly 1-on-1s and lasted about 6 hrs. Phone interview were less technical but the on-site was exclusively technical. Interviewers came with pre-prepared questions based on job's needs

Interview Questions

• ASIC based design questions; validation methods, design methods, RTL questions (FSM, constraints, etc)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Altera (San Jose, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

On site, 5 individual interviews. Asked Algorithm, data structure questions. Asked to solve problem on white board. They were very frank, and helpful. Tried to help me when got stuck. One of the interviewer just asked behavioral questions. No technical questions. Enjoyed the whole process. Learnt something new. Was not prepared well. Hence, didnot get the job. Was not very challanging i think.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Altera (New York, NY) in May 2014.

Interview

At first, 30 min phone interview. The interviewer is the group manager. And then about one week later, he scheduled a video Interview. It lasted about two hours. In total four group members.

Interview Questions

• Questions in my resume.
      FIFO full/empty
      Static timing analysis
      Synthesis   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Altera (San Jose, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

Met the team leader at school's career fair. They called me to set up an onsite interview but I did not receive a confirmation till 3 days before. The interview itself was technical transistor-related questions and a little more in depth discussion of projects on my resume. You need to have your technical knowledge at your fingertips to do well.
    Overall, okay interview, the company culture itself did not seem to impress me much. Out of the 6 interviewers, 3 did not show up because they had other "commitments". One of the interviewers kept texting while speaking to me which just appeared downright disrespectful.

Interview Questions

• Can you draw a schematic for the entire 3 stage Analog amplifier you designed as part of your class ?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Altera (San Jose, CA) in January 2013.

Interview

2-3 Phone interviews. Go over the basics like data structures, verilog basics, discuss resume, your projects. Will test on things that are odd skill sets on your resume or an odd course, just to see if you actually have taken it or gained the skill set or if you are bluffing.

Interview Questions

• Asked things about databases although it was design engg position. this was because i had sql server on my resume. went over power and cmos questions, which i was not very much prepared as it was mostly a software position.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. If they don't give relocation, you can negotiate and they might budge.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milpitas, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Altera (Milpitas, CA) in March 2011.

Interview

The interview consisted of basic digital design questions and questions from the projects described on the resume. The on site interview consisted of 4 rounds. Since the position was for IP core development, verilog was the main area of interest.

Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Altera.

Interview

The first round of interview had two sessions: hardware and software. Generally, there are 3-4 rounds of interviews before the final offer is made. Hardware questions dealt with basic digital design concepts (timing, design of counters). Software questions dealt with algorithms.

Interview Questions

• Design of a Gray counter, Setup and Hold time violation conditions in a circuit given.   Answer Question

Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Altera (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in February 2013.

Interview

I was contacted by email for an in person interview. The interview was two consecutive sessions and took 1.5 hours in total. They told me that they will notify me for another phone interview and the final on the site interview. The questions were straightforward.

Interview Questions

• The first question was to separate valid words in a string given a dictionary.   1 Answer
    • The second question was to tell were to hit a bowling ball to maximize the score earned assuming the ball hits k pins and each pin has a score.   3 Answers

Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Altera in March 2011.

Interview

First phone interview, asked about verilog and some basic concepts.
    Second phone interview focus on the background.