Altera Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 17, 2017

3.4

37 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Altera (San Jose, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

First interview (phone):

Mainly just explained more about the specific role, had some discussion about the skills required and asked about my related experience. Maybe a few high level questions (no coding)

Second interview (on-site):

Five 30-minute interviews back-to-back, which was due to time constraints. Normally I think they have a lunch break. All interviews were mainly coding (see questions), but there were also experience-related questions

Interview Questions

• Traverse a tree and count the nodes in depth-first order   Answer Question
  • Write a function to convert an ascii string to uppercase   Answer Question
  • Write a function to reverse a byte, improve the efficiency, use it to write a function to reverse an int (4 bytes)   Answer Question
  • Use dynamic programming to compute the nth Fibonacci number   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Altera

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Altera (San Jose, CA) in January 2013.

Interview

some questions regarding your resume, so prepare that before you got the interview phone. the second round phone call is about concepts, not very difficulty, so you need to review some basic ideas.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Altera (San Jose, CA) in June 2012.

Interview

I got the interview call through employee referral program. The screening interview was onsite, no phone screening interview. The interview lasted for about an hour. Interviewer told me about position and the team. He asked me a couple of questions on C programming and then asked me to write two programs mentioned below.

Interview Questions

• An array contains some random positive and negative numbers. Arrange array elements such that all positive elements are on left side, don't care about negative elements. Number of operations allowed - O(n)   3 Answers
    • Reverse the linked list.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Santa Cruz, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Altera (Santa Cruz, CA) in May 2011.

Interview

First phone interview was thorough, and had me solve a couple of problems. In person interview was good had several different people pose problems to solve. The workplace is pretty laid back, but people work hard.

Interview Questions

• There are several problems that are asked to test your problem solving skills, not so much specific knowledge.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Santa Cruz, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Altera (Santa Cruz, CA) in September 2007.

Interview

First, I had a phone screening with an Engineering Manager. He went through my resume, asking questions relating to my previous experience. After elaborating on my experience working in large software projects and using established software practices, he started asking me very simple technical questions.

A few days later, I got an email from HR telling me that the screening went well, and asking me to come for an onsite. Then, I had interviews with two panels of 2 or 3 engineers, asking relevant Software Engineering questions, and your typical coding whiteboarding. Later I had lunch with the hiring manager.

About a week after, I got another email from the Hiring Manager saying that the interviews went well, and asking me to come in for a presentation. I had to come in and give a presentation to a larger set of engineers on any topic I chose.

Finally, after that was done, I was given an offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I'm not good at negotiating.

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Altera (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

two 30 minutes technical rounds. Interviewer went to the point directly.

I would suggest everyone to practice coding of Data structures and Algorithms in c/c++.

Question are mostly easy, but solution to that should strike to you as fast as possible. So, even practicing basic data structure operations and algorithms would work. But, make sure you know how to code.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Altera (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied for position, got a call 2 weeks later requesting an interview. 3 separate interviews, 30 mins each with a different manager each time. Questions were algorithm questions with coding in C involved.

Interview Questions

• Find and count duplicate elements between 2 unsorted arrays   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Altera (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in February 2017.

Interview

Two interviews with two different software engineers- each 30 minutes long, one question per interview. Questions pretty simple algorithm wise and you have to write the solution on white board or paper. Be careful not to waste time at this stage with question about the company or anything else (including any interaction with the interviewer) otherwise you won't have the time to actually solve the question because you have exactly 30 minutes and not a minute more.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Altera.

Interview

Over the phone, 1 hour. Asked C++ questions and the person helped through the solution. The judge you based on how fast you give the answers. I find it is unfair specially people get panic at interviews and spend little longer to answer question than usual

Interview Questions

• The interviewer had prepared technical questions. Did not discuss anything on my resume, just asked the technical questions   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Altera (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in October 2016.

Interview

one round, 3 back to back interviews, 30 min for each. All of them are very technical and you should be comfortable with writing code on paper or whiteboard. Got a phone call 3 days after the interview informing the result.

Interview Questions

• Click on a paint grid, recursively change the color. Implement undo and if only one info can be stored what is it?   1 Answer
    • Find local maxima in an array of integers. Optimize.   Answer Question
    • Bowling game design.   Answer Question