Altera Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Altera Interview Questions

3.2

Anonymous Employee in Santa Cruz, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Altera (Santa Cruz, CA) in September 2007.

Interview

First, I had a phone screening with an Engineering Manager. He went through my resume, asking questions relating to my previous experience. After elaborating on my experience working in large software projects and using established software practices, he started asking me very simple technical questions.

A few days later, I got an email from HR telling me that the screening went well, and asking me to come for an onsite. Then, I had interviews with two panels of 2 or 3 engineers, asking relevant Software Engineering questions, and your typical coding whiteboarding. Later I had lunch with the hiring manager.

About a week after, I got another email from the Hiring Manager saying that the interviews went well, and asking me to come in for a presentation. I had to come in and give a presentation to a larger set of engineers on any topic I chose.

Finally, after that was done, I was given an offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I'm not good at negotiating.

Anonymous Employee in Santa Cruz, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Altera (Santa Cruz, CA) in May 2011.

Interview

First phone interview was thorough, and had me solve a couple of problems. In person interview was good had several different people pose problems to solve. The workplace is pretty laid back, but people work hard.

Interview Questions

• There are several problems that are asked to test your problem solving skills, not so much specific knowledge.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Altera (San Jose, CA) in June 2012.

Interview

I got the interview call through employee referral program. The screening interview was onsite, no phone screening interview. The interview lasted for about an hour. Interviewer told me about position and the team. He asked me a couple of questions on C programming and then asked me to write two programs mentioned below.

Interview Questions

• An array contains some random positive and negative numbers. Arrange array elements such that all positive elements are on left side, don't care about negative elements. Number of operations allowed - O(n)   3 Answers
    • Reverse the linked list.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Altera (San Jose, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

First interview (phone):

Mainly just explained more about the specific role, had some discussion about the skills required and asked about my related experience. Maybe a few high level questions (no coding)

Second interview (on-site):

Five 30-minute interviews back-to-back, which was due to time constraints. Normally I think they have a lunch break. All interviews were mainly coding (see questions), but there were also experience-related questions

Interview Questions

• Traverse a tree and count the nodes in depth-first order   Answer Question
    • Write a function to convert an ascii string to uppercase   Answer Question
    • Write a function to reverse a byte, improve the efficiency, use it to write a function to reverse an int (4 bytes)   Answer Question
    • Use dynamic programming to compute the nth Fibonacci number   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Altera (San Jose, CA) in January 2013.

Interview

some questions regarding your resume, so prepare that before you got the interview phone. the second round phone call is about concepts, not very difficulty, so you need to review some basic ideas.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Altera in April 2013.

Interview

Had two phone interviews, neither of which I think would have been difficult for a prepared candidate. However, this was my first interview experience and, as a silly college freshman who had just decided to pursue the computer science major, I was thoroughly unprepared at the time.

I don't remember the details, but as far as I recall the interviews went like this:

First phone interview(1h30):
    Spent maybe fifteen minutes to a half an hour asking some behavioral questions and explaining what his role was: what classes? Why computer science? Etc

Then several simple brainteasers and coding questions: the common find a loop in a linked list, flipping a stack of pancakes so that it ends with largest on the bottom to smallest on top, and the number of rounds in a tennis tournament with n teams (log2n). I think there were two more that were slightly more difficult than these.

One coding question with a shared document online: something about 0s and 1s in matrices, but I don't really remember.

Second phone interview(30 min):
    Went straight to coding on a shared document.
    Was asked to write a for loop to add numbers one to a million, and to reverse a string in-place.

Visual Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Altera (San Jose, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Phone interview with their recruiter where we go through my experiences and college degree, then she sent an email that I got chosen to meet the CEO of the company in person on 1:1 interview. I met the CEO David for 30-45 mins interview.

Interview Questions

• What is your process to deliver a design? How to manage multiple project in the same time?   Answer Question

Web Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Altera (San Jose, CA).

Interview

Submitted online and heard back from their recruiter in about a week. Two days later I had a 30 minutes phone interview. The following Monday I had an onsite interview for about 2.5 hours in the morning. A total of 3 people, 45 minutes each. Within 3 days, I was asked to come back for 2nd round. The second round was with the Sr Manager for about 30 minutes. A week goes by and I haven't heard so I email back. At this time I though my chances were pretty slim knowing that they were very aggressive in the beginning.

Interview Questions

• Not anything too technical that I couldn't anwser. Some are very general and some are related to my past experiences like "tell me a time....."   Answer Question

Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Altera (San Jose, CA) in November 2008.

Interview

Very technical but based on past experience

Applications Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Altera in November 2013.

Interview

I applied online through Altera career website. Received an email from senior engineer a month later to schedule a phone interview the following week. The phone interview was a typical go over you resume and you educational experiences in digital system. Interviewer was up front about my experience and rejected me professional on the phone. The interviewer did not ask if I had any questions for him or the position, so I was left with a bitter feeling.