American Apparel Interview Questions | Glassdoor

American Apparel Interview Questions

Updated Feb 21, 2017

1.8

Sales Representative Interview

Interview

The interview was pretty straight forward lots of questions about your personal self, life style, motivations and knowledge of the company and what it stands for. They said it would take 2 weeks to hear back from them so have a few places lined up just in case.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at American Apparel (New York, NY).

Interview

Someone spoke with me asked me a few questions on my job history. My availability. Asked why I wanted to work for the company, what music and magazines I enjoyed. The interview process took all of 5 mins, they asked if I could take a photo for reference and I was offered the position on the spot. The next day I came in to fill out my paperwork and background check

Key Holder/Lead Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at American Apparel.

Interview

I applied in-store (resume) and was called about 2 days later for a one-on-one interview with the store manager. While she read the formal interview questions given to her by the company, there was also room for discussion with each question. It was a very relaxed environment and she told me that they hire based off of looks, experience, and "vibe". Unlike other retail jobs where you have to have a CERTAIN look, AA really hires unique and interesting looking people, not cookie-cutter girls/guys. The interview lasted about 45 minutes and I was told I got the job within 24 hours.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Apparel (Bloomington, MN) in October 2016.

Interview

Very simple, basic interview. The store was inside of a mall so it took place at a cafe in the mall. I was asked very generic questions that didnt really gauge my abilities, experience or prowess. I was asked to give my opinions on the company and if I knew anything about it. Again, very basic and general questions. Not much stood out as far as outliers or anything difficult.

Interview Questions

• Name in time in the past when you had to take control of a situation when something unexpected happened.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paramus, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Apparel (Paramus, NJ) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied online over the summer and brought in both a resume and cover letter to the location at the Garden State Plaza in Paramus, NJ at the beginning of October because I knew they would be looking to hire for the holiday season. I called about a week later on a Monday and spoke to the manager who at first told me they were already looking at two people to fill their open positions, but after I told her I had brought in a resume the week before she replied "oh the one with the cover letter? Oh yeah, I was going to call you sometime before I left today.…" This made me feel hopeful that she had already been impressed, and she told me that we'd be scheduling an interview later in the week for the following week. I called back that Thursday to schedule the interview for the following Tuesday and the manager thanked me for calling back. That next Tuesday I came in 15 minutes early dressed like I was about to be photographed for their online catalog in their latest styles. I met the recently hired keyholder who conducted the interview with me after seeing that the manager was busy. The interview was casual; I brought a copy of my resume and I felt very confident. She complimented me on my knowledge on the company and noted my outfit, even telling me that she "liked me already!" At the end she told me I should definitely be hearing back from the manager. I felt really good when I left, as this had been my second time applying at the location. However, within the next two weeks I received no call. I did call back a week later to talk to the manager and ask if she had any questions for me being that I didn't get to meet her when I came in for my interview and to show her how serious I was about the job. She told me that it was up to the district manager to make the hiring decision at this point and that she didn't want to waste my time. I found this very interesting and was a bit let down after not receiving at least a call back to discuss availability.

However, being an actual customer of the company and this specific location for several years now, I did realize how the specific location staff is mostly comprised of people of Asian background. The keyholder I interviewed with was the only staff member in the store I had seen in a while that wasn't of Asian descent. I am not Asian, though I remember her telling me that I was definitely a "contender" for the position, which I would have confidently agreed with. Taking this all into consideration, I'm made to feel like the district hiring team is racially biased, and I am sure that is not what the company and overall brand would want.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at American Apparel.

Interview

Open call at a specific location in NYC, the line was long. Dress "American Apparel" like. Be enthusiastic but not too overly happy. The interview in one on one usually with the Manager or Assistant manager.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Apparel.

Interview

very laid back. talked about brand.Everything made in the US. talked about what is expected as a sales associate and what my role would be in the store. What Dove expected of all his employees and wanted.

Anonymous Employee in Annapolis, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at American Apparel (Annapolis, MD) in August 2016.

Interview

It was so informal! So easy and no one except for me (as far as I could tell) was there for the open call so we talked for a while. It was very relaxed and you eill get the job if you can hold a conversation and have a bubble, open, positive personality. But, mainly be yourself and brush up on ur AA history.

Keyholder Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at American Apparel (Boston, MA).

Interview

Very brief interview and was offered the position after speaking for a few minutes about my experience in retail customer service. It helped that I was dressed "on brand", as that is what hiring managers place a lot of focus on.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at American Apparel (New York, NY).

Interview

I was recruited in store and asked for my information. They phoned me to arrange an interview. I went in to speak to manager and we sat in her office and she asked me a variety of questions. I was in high school at the time, so it was mainly about why I liked the brand and my availability.