American Apparel Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 2, 2017

1.8

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Apparel (Santa Monica, CA).

Interview

After getting an email for a set time, I went into the apparel store and sit in a folding chair between racks and then you answer a few questions. It was very casual and only took a few minutes of chatting with the manager and sales clerk.

Interview Questions

• After getting an email for a set time, I went into the apparel store and sit in a folding chair between racks and then you answer a few questions. Ask about experience with store and look over resume.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at American Apparel (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I sent in an application online and came in to turn in my resume in person. I got an on the spot interview in the front of the store. After the interview I was told by the store manager that she would gladly have me on the team! I told her I can start whenever haha, it takes about 3 days for the paperwork to go through.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at American Apparel (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Was scouted at college, had a former classmate submit a photo of me to HR and I received an interview within a week. The interview was easy, the questions were about my experience in sales and apparel

Interview Questions

• The interview questions were not difficult, sales associate questions that were easy to answer.   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Apparel in January 2017.

Interview

Super laid back, easy questions. Went smoothly, and was given an offer same day, but denied. They asked me super basic questions. The guy interviewing me was really friendly and didn't make things too intimidating.

Sales Representative Interview

Interview

The interview was pretty straight forward lots of questions about your personal self, life style, motivations and knowledge of the company and what it stands for. They said it would take 2 weeks to hear back from them so have a few places lined up just in case.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at American Apparel (New York, NY).

Interview

Someone spoke with me asked me a few questions on my job history. My availability. Asked why I wanted to work for the company, what music and magazines I enjoyed. The interview process took all of 5 mins, they asked if I could take a photo for reference and I was offered the position on the spot. The next day I came in to fill out my paperwork and background check

Key Holder/Lead Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at American Apparel.

Interview

I applied in-store (resume) and was called about 2 days later for a one-on-one interview with the store manager. While she read the formal interview questions given to her by the company, there was also room for discussion with each question. It was a very relaxed environment and she told me that they hire based off of looks, experience, and "vibe". Unlike other retail jobs where you have to have a CERTAIN look, AA really hires unique and interesting looking people, not cookie-cutter girls/guys. The interview lasted about 45 minutes and I was told I got the job within 24 hours.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Apparel (Bloomington, MN) in October 2016.

Interview

Very simple, basic interview. The store was inside of a mall so it took place at a cafe in the mall. I was asked very generic questions that didnt really gauge my abilities, experience or prowess. I was asked to give my opinions on the company and if I knew anything about it. Again, very basic and general questions. Not much stood out as far as outliers or anything difficult.

Interview Questions

• Name in time in the past when you had to take control of a situation when something unexpected happened.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paramus, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Apparel (Paramus, NJ) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied online over the summer and brought in both a resume and cover letter to the location at the Garden State Plaza in Paramus, NJ at the beginning of October because I knew they would be looking to hire for the holiday season. I called about a week later on a Monday and spoke to the manager who at first told me they were already looking at two people to fill their open positions, but after I told her I had brought in a resume the week before she replied "oh the one with the cover letter? Oh yeah, I was going to call you sometime before I left today.…" This made me feel hopeful that she had already been impressed, and she told me that we'd be scheduling an interview later in the week for the following week. I called back that Thursday to schedule the interview for the following Tuesday and the manager thanked me for calling back. That next Tuesday I came in 15 minutes early dressed like I was about to be photographed for their online catalog in their latest styles. I met the recently hired keyholder who conducted the interview with me after seeing that the manager was busy. The interview was casual; I brought a copy of my resume and I felt very confident. She complimented me on my knowledge on the company and noted my outfit, even telling me that she "liked me already!" At the end she told me I should definitely be hearing back from the manager. I felt really good when I left, as this had been my second time applying at the location. However, within the next two weeks I received no call. I did call back a week later to talk to the manager and ask if she had any questions for me being that I didn't get to meet her when I came in for my interview and to show her how serious I was about the job. She told me that it was up to the district manager to make the hiring decision at this point and that she didn't want to waste my time. I found this very interesting and was a bit let down after not receiving at least a call back to discuss availability.

However, being an actual customer of the company and this specific location for several years now, I did realize how the specific location staff is mostly comprised of people of Asian background. The keyholder I interviewed with was the only staff member in the store I had seen in a while that wasn't of Asian descent. I am not Asian, though I remember her telling me that I was definitely a "contender" for the position, which I would have confidently agreed with. Taking this all into consideration, I'm made to feel like the district hiring team is racially biased, and I am sure that is not what the company and overall brand would want.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I interviewed at American Apparel (Seattle, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

Very simple, very non invasive and directed at assessing how well you'd fit in within the sales team, and overall company culture. The manager sat me down asked how I felt about the store, retail, and the company message.

Interview Questions

• What can you bring to the team?   1 Answer