American Bar Association Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at American Bar Association

2.7

Program Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at American Bar Association (Washington, DC) in May 2020.

Interview

I received an email requesting a phone interview for the next day. They did not tell me who I would be interviewing with just a time to call on Skype. I had a conversation with a member of the HR department where they asked me why I would want to work for them and what my salary expectations are. Over the interviews they quoted three different salary ranges which was incredibly confusing and frustrating.
    I did not hear back from them for another two weeks were they wanted to schedule another call with two people that week. This time I got the names of who I would be talking with. During this interview I was asked a lot of scenario based questions and questions on my technical skills. The interviewers were professional and friendly, but the questions did not seem to be very useful for understanding my fit for the job.
    I heard back from them two weeks later for an interview with the hiring manager and two other managers in the department. I had a week to prepare for the interview. They asked questions about my background and gave me more scenario based questions. These questions were a lot more targeted toward the job responsibilities. Everyone on the call was friendly and kind and I enjoyed meeting them.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work in international development?   1 Answer
    • What does the rule of law mean to you?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Bar Association.

Interview

Submitted my application and within a few weeks I heard about a phone call interview then got the job not even a few hours after. Really good conversation about why them.

Interview Questions

• Tell me more about yourself, and then took off from there   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

It was very straightforward, behavioral questions. I was contacted less than a week after the interview and was offered the internship. They also asked me why I was interested in law.

Senior Attorney Interview

Anonymous Employee in Harlingen, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Bar Association (Harlingen, TX) in April 2019.

Interview

I met with several senior staff and executive officers. They were all warm, kind, and generous with their time. I interviewed twice by phone and once in person. The in-person interview lasted approximately 3 hours.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any questions for us?   1 Answer

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Bar Association.

Interview

Phone interview asked about skills and qualifications. Friendly and exactly 30 minutes. A week later I received a call to schedule an in person interview. I interviewed with a team of people, supervisor and association members . It was a lot of pressure but the questions were typical. They wanted to know my level of skill.

Program Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Bar Association.

Interview

I was contacted for an in-person interview about a week after I had applied. I went into the office and met with two of the people who would serve as my supervisors. One of them repeatedly asked me about my political views and continued to do so despite my deflections. This seemed unrelated to my professional goals and a bit unwarranted. I was contacted two weeks afterwards to meet with a senior member of the staff and they contacted all of my references. One of the interviewers had interviewed someone else with my resume the day before.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Bar Association (Chicago, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied online in March 2017. I heard back within a week and scheduled a phone interview, which lasted roughly half an hour. I then interviewed twice in person, with both interviews lasting more than an hour long. In my final interview, I felt the conversation was professional, yet pleasant and conversational. However, the end of the interview took a sharp right turn, as I was asked to speak to another individual in management that I was not scheduled (or told) I would be speaking with, and therefore felt wholly unprepared to have a substantive conversation with this individual. I felt I had a really strong interview all the way up until this point, but when you throw an entry level candidate a curveball of speaking to a senior staffer they did not know they would be speaking to, who then asks only two, very difficult questions, you are setting them up to have a really poor interview experience. Three weeks later, I have not heard back from HR, so I assume I did not get the position.

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at American Bar Association (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied for online and the process took almost two months. First, be prepared to deal with an antiquated online application system. They really need to use an online application that was created in the 21st century. Two weeks after submitting my application, I received an email from a Program Associate requesting a phone interview (it took me over an hour to complete). The interview (on March 27, 2017) lasted for about 45 minutes and I thought it when well. I was told that I should hear from her in a week or maybe two. I followed up after not hearing any for two weeks--I also saw that they reposted the position. I did get an answer--the associated explained that they always repost positions until they are filled. I'm not sure if I believe that but I had a feeling that they were going to offer the position to another candidate. On May 4, 2017, I received a rejection email.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at American Bar Association (Washington, DC) in January 2017.

Interview

First Applied Online to the Government and public sector law division. Then I was contacted via email to come into the office. The office interview was very casual and a walk through my resume. It was with 3 people from their current staff.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Bar Association (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Phone interview with Inner recruiter/HR went very well. The interview process took a little over an hour in person and I thought, went very well. Spoke with two different people about the position and had the opportunity to ask questions. It was very conversational, yet professional. Everything was going well, said they would follow up.. Fast forward three months later. I still hadn't heard a word. One more month goes by and randomly I received a form email from the company stating that they had gone in a different direction. I had clearly assumed that by now. Just do not leave potential applicants hanging like that. I believe that every company should let someone know, either way, within a month.

Interview Questions

• My strengths and weakness
      A time when I had to handle a difficult situation at work and how I coped with it.   Answer Question