American Bar Association Interview Questions | Glassdoor

American Bar Association Interview Questions

Updated May 4, 2017

2.7

Program Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Bar Association.

Interview

I was contacted for an in-person interview about a week after I had applied. I went into the office and met with two of the people who would serve as my supervisors. One of them repeatedly asked me about my political views and continued to do so despite my deflections. This seemed unrelated to my professional goals and a bit unwarranted. I was contacted two weeks afterwards to meet with a senior member of the staff and they contacted all of my references. One of the interviewers had interviewed someone else with my resume the day before.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Bar Association (Chicago, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied online in March 2017. I heard back within a week and scheduled a phone interview, which lasted roughly half an hour. I then interviewed twice in person, with both interviews lasting more than an hour long. In my final interview, I felt the conversation was professional, yet pleasant and conversational. However, the end of the interview took a sharp right turn, as I was asked to speak to another individual in management that I was not scheduled (or told) I would be speaking with, and therefore felt wholly unprepared to have a substantive conversation with this individual. I felt I had a really strong interview all the way up until this point, but when you throw an entry level candidate a curveball of speaking to a senior staffer they did not know they would be speaking to, who then asks only two, very difficult questions, you are setting them up to have a really poor interview experience. Three weeks later, I have not heard back from HR, so I assume I did not get the position.

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at American Bar Association (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied for online and the process took almost two months. First, be prepared to deal with an antiquated online application system. They really need to use an online application that was created in the 21st century. Two weeks after submitting my application, I received an email from a Program Associate requesting a phone interview (it took me over an hour to complete). The interview (on March 27, 2017) lasted for about 45 minutes and I thought it when well. I was told that I should hear from her in a week or maybe two. I followed up after not hearing any for two weeks--I also saw that they reposted the position. I did get an answer--the associated explained that they always repost positions until they are filled. I'm not sure if I believe that but I had a feeling that they were going to offer the position to another candidate. On May 4, 2017, I received a rejection email.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Bar Association (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Phone interview with Inner recruiter/HR went very well. The interview process took a little over an hour in person and I thought, went very well. Spoke with two different people about the position and had the opportunity to ask questions. It was very conversational, yet professional. Everything was going well, said they would follow up.. Fast forward three months later. I still hadn't heard a word. One more month goes by and randomly I received a form email from the company stating that they had gone in a different direction. I had clearly assumed that by now. Just do not leave potential applicants hanging like that. I believe that every company should let someone know, either way, within a month.

Interview Questions

• My strengths and weakness
      A time when I had to handle a difficult situation at work and how I coped with it.   Answer Question

Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at American Bar Association (Chicago, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

The ABA is a professional organization with highly professional employees. The interview process was formal, well organized, and clearly communicated. Everyone I met was friendly, articulate, and professional. I would have fit into the culture perfectly, as I am dedicated to whatever job I accept.

Interview Questions

• I was asked how my work experience would fit into the job requirements. All of the questions were well thought out, clear, and with purpose..   Answer Question

Marketing Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at American Bar Association (Chicago, IL) in July 2016.

Interview

I was disappointed in how the interview was handled. The 2 people interviewing me didn't seem interested in learning more about my skills/ qualifications, they appeared to have no experience in how to conduct an interview. They also never bothered to notify me if I got the job or not.

Interview Questions

• Please go over your resume and explain your experience.
      Do you have experience with contact management software?
      What are your three biggest strengths?
      How do you stay organized?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American Bar Association (Chicago, IL) in May 2016.

Interview

Extremely disappointed in ABA's HR and how they handle candidates. The HR person I dealt with mixed up candidates and would send us all wrong emails. Plus, she never got back to me when I asked questions after interviewing for the position. It all left a bad taste in my mouth and I expected more from such a professional association.

Staff Attorney Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Bar Association (Washington, DC).

Interview

Two weeks after I applied, I was called for an interview. The interview took around 45 minutes. There was not a 'tell me about yourself" question. They straight went to the work and asked why do I want the position. They gave a few hypothesis related to the task the position requires.
    Overall, It went well and the interviewers were nice, to the point and professional.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to suggest annual strategy for the program.   Answer Question

Staff Attorney Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at American Bar Association.

Interview

I was contacted to interview for a staff attorney position and asked to come in and interview with the current staff members. It was an approximately 45 minute panel interview. I contacted them to thank them shortly after the interview and also followed up about a month later. No one ever responded or even sent me a form email to let me know the results of the process. I would have appreciated the courtesy of a response in some form.

Interview Questions

• Are you okay with the fact that this position does not involve litigation?   1 Answer

Marketing Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Bar Association (Chicago, IL) in November 2015.

Interview

Interview process was smooth. I had one phone interview and 2 in-person interviews. The people in HR are easy-going and are very helpful. After you've had one phone interview, then its much easier getting in-person interviews for whatever you apply for.