Amtrak Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amtrak Interview Questions

Updated Nov 7, 2017

2.9

Intern Interview

Interview

Applied online, interviewed in the office and had a phone screen. Got called about an offer about a week later. Questions were behavioral, nothing technical. Simple interview to do.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at amtrak?   2 Answers

Remote Instructional Designer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amtrak.

Interview

No phone screen or personal interview. Requirement was to complete a very lengthy project of a PPT, FG, and PG--about 30-40 hours of free work, all for possibly only a 3 month contract (no guarantee of any longer)! Given a basic template and design document, but very little guidance otherwise--rubric for evaluation very vague at best. Spent many hours doing free work, worth about 2K of my time, and then wasn't hired--no explanation. All candidates work was available to other candidates on SharePoint, which seems to also lack work integrity. I understand wanting a sample, but the demands of this process and the potential outcome that I faced seems unusually harsh and unfair, especially for such a short contract. I would not recommend anyone going into this process unless you have plenty of free time and just want to hone your skills.

Interview Questions

• Create an ILT, with FG, PG, and PPT (for free) in 5 business days.   Answer Question

Remote Contract Instructional Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amtrak (Portland, OR) in August 2017.

Interview

A key part of the application process is a work sample creation test. Not unusual except that it was for a complete module of IG, PG and PPT presentation using a nuanced style guide with the format template. I uploaded my work about a third complete after the search firm said the pay rate dropped 40% from $55 per hour to $33. I left a note that said there was more than enough detail to for them to determine whether or not I was good enough to be on the team. I would have had at least 32 hours of work done if I had completed the sample. I felt that I was giving them a free module. At $55 it would be worth about $1800. At $33 around $1100. When looking for my upload folder I noticed there were at least 50 folders of IDs applying and possibly contributing free work. That's between $55,000 and $90,000 of free work in the project format if all of the IDs were half decent and assigned different modules for the work sample.

Interview Questions

• Create a fully functional instructor-led module for free.   1 Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phila, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amtrak (Phila, PA) in August 2017.

Interview

I applied online, took a test online, was invited to take a test at their office. Received a phone all for interview. My interview was scheduled at 1:20 p.m. I arrived at 1:00 p.m. and sat until 2:30 in a very large group of people who were also there for interviews. Finally at 2:30 I was called back. Met with 2 women who read questions off a paper and wrote down my answers. This lasted all of 10 minutes and then sat for another 20 min before them telling me thanks but we are not offering you a job. The entire time I was waiting employees were walking around doing NOTHING, yet during the interview they told me they would be monitoring my calls often. Who is monitoring the people walking around? I was happy I did not get this job.

Interview Questions

• How do I feel about being watched and listened too while working?   1 Answer

On Board Services Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lorton, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amtrak (Lorton, VA) in August 2017.

Interview

After applying, I was sent the initial email to take an online assessment test. A couple days after that, I received an email to let me know they wanted to move forward and someone would contact me to take a physical assessment (which took place on a Tuesday). Three days after the physical assessment (a Friday), I received a phone call from someone in Human Resources to set up an interview for the following Wednesday. The interview was scheduled for 9:30am and I got there at 8:15am just for good measure. The interview consists of a panel of 3ppl. It took all of about 20min and it was over. 2 weeks later, I received a call from the same Human Resources Rep to congratulate me on getting the job. I was informed that I would need to go to my Amtrak profile to the position and Accept or Decline the offer of employment. Once accepted, I received an email informing me that a rep will contact me within 72 hours to set up a Hair Follicle Drug Test. That's where I am now in the process so, To Be Continued.....

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you cut corners on safety to get something done much quicker or more affective.   1 Answer

Onboarding Service Attendant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amtrak (Raleigh, NC) in August 2017.

Interview

Question where not hard and it took about 45 minutes for the interview. Very easy to talk to. Did not feel uncomfortable and felt that everything went well. 10 questions where asked by the 3 person panel.

Interview Questions

• You will be required to travel. Give any reason as to why you would or would not be able to travel.   Answer Question

Assistant Conductor Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Amtrak.

Interview

You have to pass 4 different test before they will grant you an interview. Online psych test 100 questions. In office math test and video situations on customer service and remembering schedules and fares (50 questions each). Then a strength test at an outside facility.

Interview Questions

• Ten basic "what did you do when" type questions based on customer service and safety.   Answer Question

Train Attendant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amtrak (Chicago, IL).

Interview

They ask lots of customer servive question..what is your past experince and how you can apply it to amtrak...why do you want for the railroad..how did you hete about us..

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with a long delay on the train??   2 Answers

Assistant Conductor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amtrak (Oakland, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Panel of 3. All three were very nice. Process has taken about 3 weeks now. Was told they will contact me a week after the interview to let me know their decision.

Interview Questions

• Basic "describe a time" questions.   1 Answer

Senior Claims Adjuster Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amtrak (Chicago, IL) in April 2017.

Interview

Between 10 to 15 behavioral questions. It was a little intimidating with the panel of three and I felt a vibe from the lead that was not inviting. The person who I was actually supposed to meet was off and I had to ask for help several times to get to the proper location because of the multiple security doors.

Interview Questions

• Questions beginning with time me about a time when you went above and beyond and what was the outcome?   Answer Question