ArenaNet Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.2

Sort:

Lead Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ArenaNet (Bellevue, WA) in May 2013.

Interview

Two phone interviews. Fly out. Skills test. All day interviews with the entire team, CEO and COO.

Interview Questions

• How would you identify players likely to churn?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Non-negotiable.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ArenaNet (Bellevue, WA).

Interview

The hiring process at ArenaNet was pretty smooth, even though it occurred during a transition period in their hiring practices. Although there was an initial delay in hearing back about my application, it was shortly after GW2 launch, so it was not unexpected.

Interview Questions

• Graphics-related questions, bit-operations, simple data structures, etc. There is an extensive code test and a series of in-person interviews.   Answer Question

Character Artist Interview

Interview

I was in LA, when I looking for a job. I've got a contact from a HR at Arenanet and all the process I stepped was so smooth and quick.
    He respond very nicely right away what I was curious about the company and work.
    All I was talked about with him is true and even better than I thought.

Artist Interview

Interview

Was contacted by recruiter on linkedin. Had an interview with him and the art lead. Art lead threw me softball questions about team stuff and what I do in my current role. It was super short as he was late and then had to run to a new meeting.

Heard nothing for a while. After asking for a status update two weeks later I was rejected for not being technical enough, despite being asked zero technical questions.

I spend a lot of time trying to overcome the notion that I'm not a technical person. The work I do is highly technical. Truthfully, I wish Arenanet had asked me technical questions in this interview instead of throwing me softballs and then rejecting me after not giving technical responses to those softball questions. It's really upsetting to be assumed less technical than I actually am, and it happens more often than it should in the video game industry.

Interview Questions

• what are your career goals?   1 Answer
    • what is your current team structure like?   1 Answer
    • can you tell me about past projects?   1 Answer

Lead Artist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at ArenaNet (Bellevue, WA).

Interview

I got hired on the spot. Programmers and Artists have to go through a test and interview process.

Interview Questions

• "What is your favorite game?"   1 Answer

Negotiation

Good offer, non-negotiable.

Game Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ArenaNet (Bellevue, WA).

Interview

I'd interfaced with their designers previously, and simply spoke to one of the team leaders mentioning my application. Was promptly e-mailed asking for my interview availability and then scheduled an on-site interview within a few days.

The onsite interview was very relaxed, we went out to lunch with the entire game design (systems and content) team, then went into a series of group interview (from 2 interviewers up to 6). They had some intriguing questions such as "Create yourself as a game design character and give yourself attributes as if you're inside of a game" and listened and responded to all of my follow-up questions.

At the end of the day they talked about the different benefits and asked me if I had any requests (ranging from how fast I need a response to what housing I prefer) before saying goodbye. All in all it was an AWESOME experience, a great office, and really seemed like an insanely positive work culture.

Interview Questions

• Give yourself and prioritize attributes as if you were a game design character inside of a game. Include 3 positive and 3 negative attributes   Answer Question

Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ArenaNet (Bellevue, WA) in August 2013.

Interview

I applied online and immediately heard back from a recruiter. She emailed me a skills test, which I sent back and passed. Then I was scheduled for a phone interview. The recruiter was 30 minutes late calling me, which was nerve-wracking. The phone interview had nothing to do with the job, just asked about my salary requirements and what type of career i'm looking for. Finally, I got set up with an in-person interview. The interview was super casual, and was a panel interview. They weren't very ready for the interview at all, and were just making up questions. I was asked about my hobbies and interests, and it was clear that they weren't interested in my experience and more if they wanted to be my friend or not. We talked for about an hour, and then I got a tour of the studio. Everyone seemed really friendly. I never heard back about the job, even though I followed up. If they like you, they'll probably hire you so just be yourself and hope for the best.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite video game? Why?
      What game in your opinion had the best dialogue/writing? Give specific examples.
      What are your hobbies and interets?   1 Answer

Programming Position Interview

Interview

Email contact to setup phone interview (15 min call). The interviewer called me late, and asked what salary I am looking for, and if I knew how to program in a few languages. Then setup technical screening. Technical interview (15-30 mins) was difficult and I was not as prepared as I would liked to have been (it was my first interview).... asked about the compiler c++ ... also Templates and their uses

Animation Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at ArenaNet in January 2018.

Interview

Got a phone prescreen phone interview on Jan 26 by their recruiter, the process is very positive, she called me on time and she is very friendly and nice. she told me the recruiter team will email me on Jan 26. Then I got declined by them. Nothing special to say, but if they like you, they're willing to proceed to hire you. And this is my first interview, it's a good way for me to improve myself in the future.

Programming Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ArenaNet (Bellevue, WA) in November 2012.

Interview

This position is seasonal, they do it once a year. Oct 11, I received an email from them asking questions to clarify the terms of the internship, this being step 1. You are supposed to answer all the questions and reply back which I of course did. On Oct 24, I received another email from them saying I have been invited to a "internship programming career day,"which will be held on the 5th of Nov also in this email it stated that the terms have changed for the said position, this being step 2. Originally, it was 14+ hours that was necessary to work, but changed to 30+ hours for a student in college and 40+ for a college graduate. This I was fine with because i was a college graduated and was looking for a full-time job anyways. The hourly pay remained the same at $14 /hour, which wasn't that great if you have to move to Seattle,WA. They expected people to go to this career on their own from where ever they were coming from. I came from the east coast costing roughly $600-700 for a round trip plane ticket that arrived and departed in the same day. In addition, they said that they wouldn't give any real information of talked about "career day" till the 29th of Oct. It was extremely short notice to buy a plane ticket and avoid hurricane Sandy at the same time. Moving on, I got to ArenaNet 2 hours early for my schedule appointment because I literally had nothing else to do in Seattle. I asked if i could wait there for 2 hours for my scheduled appointment but they told me I could join the next round of interviews. They roughly grouped 20 people together for an anticipated 2 hour interview session + tour. They also said they were doing that for 2 days, by estimation only around 180 people were invited to this "career day" and not all showed. That being said the odds weren't that bad and they also said they will take all those that pass the interview and "4 hour " test that you can take via internet. They said normally, 15- 20 people get through and hired. The actually interview it self if you in a room with 1-2 mid level software developers. I got stuck with 2 mid level developers and right off the bat you can see they had 2 opposite personalities. One was nonchalant and the other was happy go lucky. The nonchalant one created a strong intimidation towards with his seriousness. They asked general C++ questions , virtual functions, linked list vs array, stack and heap memory, and a few others I cant remember. After that was over you are sent back to the waiting room, waiting to be called again so you can leave but before so you received a GW2 t shirt then you are on your way.

Interview Questions

• The questions may vary between each person that goes in, There was a question that asked for a definition of a term that i did not know the answer to and after saying i did not know what it meant, the next question was the actually definition but he was now asking what would you do to do this. I later found out the answer to that question was literally the question before that. So they answered me 2 related questions and if you dont know one you wont know the other.   Answer Question