ArenaNet Interview Questions | Glassdoor

ArenaNet Interview Questions

3.3

Artist Interview

Interview

Was contacted by recruiter on linkedin. Had an interview with him and the art lead. Art lead threw me softball questions about team stuff and what I do in my current role. It was super short as he was late and then had to run to a new meeting.

Heard nothing for a while. After asking for a status update two weeks later I was rejected for not being technical enough, despite being asked zero technical questions.

I spend a lot of time trying to overcome the notion that I'm not a technical person. The work I do is highly technical. Truthfully, I wish Arenanet had asked me technical questions in this interview instead of throwing me softballs and then rejecting me after not giving technical responses to those softball questions. It's really upsetting to be assumed less technical than I actually am, and it happens more often than it should in the video game industry.

Interview Questions

• what are your career goals?   1 Answer
    • what is your current team structure like?   1 Answer
    • can you tell me about past projects?   1 Answer

Character Artist (Contract) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ArenaNet (Seattle, WA) in September 2016.

Interview

Art test followed by a phone screening with HR coordinator and a second interview with team leader. Interview process was surprisingly fast and the interviewers were very helpful, knowledgeable about the industry and interesting to talk to.

Concept Art Interview

Interview

Like any other company, It helps to know people who work there. I was able to get the internship through the quality of my portfolio and knowing people in the department that I wanted to work in.

Game Content Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at ArenaNet (New York, NY) in June 2014.

Interview

Got phone screened, then got a second call going into detail about the job. Then was asked to take a design test. Then got an interview to go over the design test. I was told I would be interviewed by 3 people but there was 4 at my interview. All of this was done on the phone. Never got a phone call or response afterwards. Not even an automated email rejection.

Interview Questions

• 1. Name a moment where you had problems working with someone.
      2. Name some of your weaknesses.
      3. What would this creature look like? (design test specific)
      4. Additional questions pertaining to the design test material.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ArenaNet (Bellevue, WA).

Interview

The hiring process at ArenaNet was pretty smooth, even though it occurred during a transition period in their hiring practices. Although there was an initial delay in hearing back about my application, it was shortly after GW2 launch, so it was not unexpected.

Interview Questions

• Graphics-related questions, bit-operations, simple data structures, etc. There is an extensive code test and a series of in-person interviews.   Answer Question

Character Artist Interview

Interview

I was in LA, when I looking for a job. I've got a contact from a HR at Arenanet and all the process I stepped was so smooth and quick.
    He respond very nicely right away what I was curious about the company and work.
    All I was talked about with him is true and even better than I thought.

Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ArenaNet (Bellevue, WA) in August 2013.

Interview

I applied online and immediately heard back from a recruiter. She emailed me a skills test, which I sent back and passed. Then I was scheduled for a phone interview. The recruiter was 30 minutes late calling me, which was nerve-wracking. The phone interview had nothing to do with the job, just asked about my salary requirements and what type of career i'm looking for. Finally, I got set up with an in-person interview. The interview was super casual, and was a panel interview. They weren't very ready for the interview at all, and were just making up questions. I was asked about my hobbies and interests, and it was clear that they weren't interested in my experience and more if they wanted to be my friend or not. We talked for about an hour, and then I got a tour of the studio. Everyone seemed really friendly. I never heard back about the job, even though I followed up. If they like you, they'll probably hire you so just be yourself and hope for the best.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite video game? Why?
      What game in your opinion had the best dialogue/writing? Give specific examples.
      What are your hobbies and interets?   1 Answer

Lead Artist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at ArenaNet (Bellevue, WA).

Interview

I got hired on the spot. Programmers and Artists have to go through a test and interview process.

Interview Questions

• "What is your favorite game?"   1 Answer

Negotiation

Good offer, non-negotiable.

Lead Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ArenaNet (Bellevue, WA) in May 2013.

Interview

Two phone interviews. Fly out. Skills test. All day interviews with the entire team, CEO and COO.

Interview Questions

• How would you identify players likely to churn?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Non-negotiable.

Programming Position Interview

Interview

Email contact to setup phone interview (15 min call). The interviewer called me late, and asked what salary I am looking for, and if I knew how to program in a few languages. Then setup technical screening. Technical interview (15-30 mins) was difficult and I was not as prepared as I would liked to have been (it was my first interview).... asked about the compiler c++ ... also Templates and their uses