BMO Capital Markets Interview Questions | Glassdoor

BMO Capital Markets Interview Questions

Updated Oct 24, 2018

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at BMO Capital Markets (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

You are being interviewed by 2 people, 30 minutes each. Questions were all behavioral, and comprehensive as they want to get the feel of who you are.
    Make sure that you can articulate who you are, and what you have to offer.
    The interview process was quite pleasant and not as nerve racking, as I thought it would be, as I am not familiar with the financial field.

Interview Questions

• Having in mind your liberal arts background, Why are you choosing to work in the financial field?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at BMO Capital Markets (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

The process was a bit different than conventional recruiting as I had a contact who had accepted an offer to come back to BMO after interning for them the previous summer and reached out to me asking if I was interested in applying.

After sending him my resume and cover letter, I received correspondence from one of the HR directors informing me that I'd been selected for a first round interview to be conducted over WebEx consisting of 2 x 20 min. interviews. They ended up having technical difficulties day of and emailed me 15 minutes prior to inform me that the interview would be conducted over the phone as opposed to video conference.

The interview was straight forward: both interviewers worked within actual teams and were relatively senior (one was a Director, the other the most senior researcher). The first interview was essentially all fit-based questions, run-down of the resume, key selling points within it, etc. The second interview had several technical questions, nothing mind shattering but basic corporate finance/financial market knowledge stuff as well as a few fit-based questions.

This was the first round interview and I am awaiting to hear whether I moved on to the 2nd round at the time of this writing (day of, post interview).

Interview Questions

• What's the difference between primary and secondary market?   Answer Question
    • What's the VIX and explain it's relationship to equities and their volatility?   Answer Question
    • A bond has a 7% coupon, issued for $100 but is now trading at $105; what can you say about its yield?   Answer Question
    • What is QE, give an example of it and your thoughts regarding its intended effects and efficacy?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at BMO Capital Markets (New York, NY).

Interview

As expected for the position in the market for which you are applying. Be prepared and know your target audience. Just do you homework. It's what you'd expect from typical finance interview. Better to be over prepared than under...

Interview Questions

• Be thorough in your preparation, know yourself, know your resume, and understand exactly what they are looking for and how you fit.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at BMO Capital Markets (New York, NY) in January 2013.

Interview

Super day with 4 individuals from various groups. I ended up working in the group for one of the folks that hired me. Overall, it was a good experience and they provided an interview day similar to bulge bracket banks.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your favorite class   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at BMO Capital Markets (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied through campus, had one phone interview and one super day. They asked questions about the market and how bonds are priced, with a big emphasis on fit. The super-day was spent speaking with four people in 30 minute increments.

Generalist Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at BMO Capital Markets (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

The interview was really easy going. If you're friendly and have admin experience, you'll most likely get to the next step. First you meet with Resource Coordinator then the direct Admin manager. I didn't have any administration experience, but I had over 7 years of professional experience and told them why I was looking to make a move.

Interview Questions

• Explain your resume, what work environment do you strive in, name a challenge you faced and how did you overcome it   Answer Question

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BMO Capital Markets (Chicago, IL).

Interview

applied through university career services. 1st round on-site interview with a VP and the MD

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at BMO Capital Markets (Chicago, IL) in December 2008.

Interview

Very relaxing.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at BMO Capital Markets (New York, NY) in September 2011.

Interview

I met a number of analysts and associates during a visit to the New York office. My school sets up a career trek in August where we visit a number of large players on Wall Street--banks, asset managers, etc.

Following this, I applied through both BMO's career website and to my school's career management website. I received an invitation to interview a few weeks later. The interview was pretty standard. it was a 30-minute one-one-one on campus. The interviewer was an MD in one of the industry groups. He was extremely nice and certainly made the interview very relaxed. Technical Q's weren't terribly difficult--walk me through a DCF, describe CAPM, how do you find WACC.

I received a phone call two weeks after letting me know that I had not been extended an offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at BMO Capital Markets (Seattle, WA) in March 2012.

Interview

Normal process, 2 interviews with an analyst and associate.

Interview Questions

• How would you value a berry bush that produces gold berries?   Answer Question