Big Y Foods Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 26, 2017

1.9

1. Featured Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicopee, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Big Y Foods (Chicopee, MA).

Interview

The interview is easy if they ask you to come in for a second interview you most likely got the job if you pass the drug test. The interview was laid back and if you are willing to learn then you'll get the job.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a customer complaint?   2 Answers

Deli Clerk Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Big Y Foods.

Interview

The application is online and requires a large questionnaire. If you get a call back, first is an interview with the hiring manager, or ESR. If he or she likes you, you then meet with the manager of the department you are applying for. Then, the manager and ESR talk about the interviews and if all goes well, you are offered the job.

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable working by yourself at night (until 10)?   1 Answer

Produce Clerk Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Big Y Foods.

Interview

Relaxed and asked questions about myself, my work ethics, my availability and other generic questions. They required a drug test when I applied and I had a few days after my interview to go get it.

Bakery Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Killingly, CT

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Big Y Foods (East Killingly, CT) in August 2017.

Interview

I applied online. They called me the next day and scheduled and interview. They gave me the name of the interviewer and the time. After the interview they told me they would call me in two days. They actually called me for a second interview in one week.

Cashier Interview

Interview

Easy, simple questions, problem solving skills, customer skills. Very straightforward questioning, the interviewee was very nice, and gave me a very firm handshake. Almost ripped my arm off. Overall the easiest interview i have ever had to do.

Interview Questions

• How will you deal with an angry customer?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Big Y Foods.

Interview

Filed an online application, within 3 days received a telephone call (while I was grocery shopping) asking if I could come in for an interview and apologized for the short notice. Ran down to the warehouse and began the interview process. Sat down with 2 warehouse managers and they asked me about myself, and gave me a tour of the facility, and explained the job thoroughly. Then I met with an office manager who sat me down and explained the pay rate, Insurances, and all that good stuff. She was very nice and made me feel comfortable (as did the other 2). I was interviewed on a Friday, and told that if I was considered as a candidate I would hear back about 10 days later. 3 days later, I received a call asking me to come in for a second interview. I was immediately offered the job and accepted. All in all a good interview/hiring process which made me feel comfortable and relaxed.

Interview Questions

• if you could be any animal, which would you choose?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiations on pay rate or benefits, which they make clear from the start. It is a set rate, with set raised at 6 mo.s and 1 yr. Very affordable health insurance, too.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Big Y Foods (New York, NY).

Interview

They take you into a back room and ask a bunch of questions such as why do you want to work for big y? and are you available. They mostly hire you on availability. If you don't have a good schedule then don't bother applying

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Employee in Shelton, CT

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Big Y Foods (Shelton, CT) in October 2016.

Interview

Hiring center. Simple. I walked in and walked out with a job. As long as you can handle it they hire you. I got seafood. Woo hoo seafood. Oh yes. Fish and chips for life baby.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Big Y Foods.

Interview

You meet with a human resources person first then a manager. You may interview with someone at another store than the one your applying for. General questions are asked by HR then more management questions are asked by the manager. It could be quick but it usually takes a while because there are so many people involved with a huge lack of communication between them.

Overnight Stocker Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Big Y Foods (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

It went well, the interviewer was very fair and asked good questions. It was not a lengthy process, I had a good understanding of what the position I was applying held.

Seafood Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Southwick, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Big Y Foods (Southwick, MA) in April 2016.

Interview

Once you have been scheduled for your interview you will meet with the head of the HR department. Usually they start by telling you a little about the company, how important their slogan is etc etc. They will ask a few normal questions like what you feel your strengths are, how you would describe yourself, to say a little about yourself first. Then they ask how you would define customer service, if anything would prevent you from getting to work on time (if you were late what would you do about it), do you let personal issues or a bad day interfere with your work environment and customer experience? After the interview they will call you (maybe hire you on the spot if you knocked their socks off) you will go through a drug test where your cheek is swabbed then upon a negative drug test result you will go back in to fill out paperwork and get your company ID number.

Interview Questions

• How would you define good customer service?   1 Answer
    • Do you let your personal life interfere with work?   1 Answer