Box Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Box Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 27, 2017

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Box (Chicago, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

The recruiters were absolutely wonderful, but the technical exam was done via hacker rank. They ask 4 questions and give you one hour. They let you pick the programming language you prefer to take the exam in.

Interview Questions

• They asked a question on filling a binary tree. They did the outline.
    Another one was say you had the following string: aaabbcbbaacc
    you have to print strings like that in the following format: a3b2c1b2a2c2
    Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Box

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Box.

Interview

The interview process was decently tough. It started with an hour coding exercise with about 4 questions. After that, was 2 back to back interviews with different developers. The interview dealt with basic algorithmic questions as well as design questions. I heard back about a week later. Overall the experience was great.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Box in November 2016.

Interview

First round was a Hackerrank, then went on to a final round interview consisting of two separate conversations with one engineer each. My perception was that my first interviewer, who asked me a object oriented design question, wasn't that into it, while my second interviewer, who asked a more standard data structures question, was more attentive.

Interview Questions

• Design an elevator system for a building with 50 floors and four elevators.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Box.

Interview

Applied online and got sent a coding challenge waited about two weeks and then received an email saying that I did not get the position. It was not very interesting, did not get asked about experience or anything.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Box in October 2016.

Interview

Completed HackerRank and then invited for 2 back-to-back interviews 1 hour long each. Both interviewers were super friendly and very open to answering all my questions about Box. Overall, it was a very enjoyable interview process.

Interview Questions

• HackerRank involved basic algorithms questions. One interview dealt with designing elevator system while other dealt with algorithms regarding unival trees   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Box (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

Got a hackerrank challenge from the recruiter which was above-average difficulty but not impossible. Then had two back-to-back interviews via hangouts with some engineers. The first question was a system design question about elevators and the second was more algorithmic. Overall a very quick process with some great people!

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

First interviewer asks me to design an elevator. At the time I didn't know how to answer this question very well, but I basically ask him whether I should prioritize use cases, which metrics, or should I just code. He asks me to draw a picture and then says he can't see it.

The second interviewer asked me stuff about BST and HashMap then to code something using those. He didn't video call in so I felt a bit awkward having him see me and not the other way around.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Got referred by one of the employees, then got the hackerRank challenge. Then failed the challenge and did not get the intern. Then I received an email says that there's no position for me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Box (New York, NY) in November 2015.

Interview

Got an email saying Box was interested and would like to set up a video interview over google hangout. The recruiter said the interview would assess basic computer science fundamentals using an online text editor. I was interviewed by 2 different engineers. The first one was very difficult and I did very poorly. The second one was okay but the interviewer was much less engaged and more dismissive, whereas the first engineer genuinely tried to help me through the problem.

Anonymous Employee in Los Altos, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Box (Los Altos, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Throughout the process, the employees that I interacted with were very friendly and considerate of my time.

The interview process started with a recruiter contacting me on LinkedIn. After I expressed interest in the role with them, we had a brief phone call before setting up a phone interview for the following week. The phone interview was around an hour long with some time left at the end for any questions I had about the role. After a couple of days, I got another phone call from the recruiter saying that they would like to bring me onsite for more interviews. The onsite interviews lasted a whole day and consisted of your standard algorithm and coding questions with whiteboarding. The interviewers were people that I would be working with directly so it was a good opportunity to learn more about each other.

After a week, I was happy to receive a phone call from the recruiter saying that they would like to extend an offer to me.