Box Reviews

Updated May 17, 2021

4.4
Box Co-founder and CEO Aaron Levie
Aaron Levie
Pros
  • "Great culture, really good work-life balance(in 51 reviews)

• "Excellent work/life balance (most teams)(in 48 reviews)

• Cons
  • "No 401k match (which has been a pain point for many years, and leadership continues to glaze over this despite massive demand from employees)(in 40 reviews)

• "There is no 401k match and honestly Box can do better with making an initiative to do that(in 30 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Box and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years
      Featured Review

8+yrs, and excited for the future

Oct 13, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

-As one of the more tenured employees, I've seen Box grow and change over the years, but the company has never taken their eyes off the mission. -Incredible people. Even on the worst days, my teammates are the ones I laugh with at the end. -Valued for my whole self. When I needed to make adjustments to my workload and schedule for some life changes, I felt fully supported by my manager and Box as a whole. -Leadership that isn't shy to state where they stand on social issues, and also accept where they need to do better. In today's climate, we want to know that our leaders believe in belonging and acceptance, equality and justice. I've been immensely proud to know that our leadership is vocal about the issues that impact their employees.

Cons

-This has recently gotten better, but for most of my time at Box there was never a clear career path for my org. It was difficult to determine my standing, which made promotion conversations and cross-org-career changes hard to navigate. However, recently more structure/mapping has been put in place to make this conversation easier. -My org/teammates have been consistently underpaid/undervalued compared to the market - As with any tech company, sometimes coworkers can lose sight of what matters and behave a bit spoiled over things that they should be grateful for. They can also sometimes be disrespectful of shared spaces/office environments.

5 people found this review helpful

Box Response

People Team

Thank you so much for the review and feedback! It's great to hear your experience over the years and we also recognize there are areas in which we can and will continually improve upon. We're glad to hear you're enjoying the day to day with your teammates and the support you receive!

2. 5.0

Greatest job I've ever had

May 13, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Responsive & communicative leadership -Transparency that I haven't experienced elsewhere -Competitive pay -Great benefits -Culture -Cross-functional learning -Promote within!

Cons

-G&A teams are smaller and have a larger workload (creates work/life balance issues) -Company is still growing and experiencing the pain that goes along with that

3. 5.0
      Current Employee

I feel old at this company, yet can't seem to leave.

Apr 22, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

It's all about the people, people, people. Every team I've been on at Box for the past 7 years has been filled with supportive, intelligent, humorous, down-to-earth folks, and I can't stress how big of a positive impact that has made for me in my day-to-day. The work is constantly challenging -- with the support system from my colleagues and manager I'm able to grow and take on harder assignments knowing they'll have my back if I run into roadblocks. I also feel like my manager does a great job advocating for me and creating a safe space for me to voice my concerns if anything comes up. Lastly, the cafeteria fries (pre-covid obviously) is some of the best I've ever had.

Cons

Transitioning to a more mature company, Box is still battling through EOL'ing some legacy tools and products. Migrating off of these old systems takes time and we don't always have the resources to do it while continuing to successfully run the business. There certainly have been moments of frustration in asking for these resources and seeing our tech debt only growing - it wasn't until recently that this has changed for the better and we've been able to get some new hires to help us through it.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

So far so good!

Apr 22, 2021 - Account Executive Mid-Market
      Business Outlook

Pros

-People genuinely love working here and many reps make their number -Box seems to have found its stride in the mid market space and it's great to see things grow and pick up! -Customers love the product -POSITIVE sales culture - cannot stress this enough - it's rare to find an organization that genuinely wants to support one another and lend a helping hand whenever possible -SO excited to see what's to come!

Cons

-There was a little uncertainty around acquisition, etc that made starting in the last couple months a bit nervewracking, but KKR's investment has calmed those rumors for now -Hard to compete with players like Microsoft and Google who give content mgmt solutions away for free - Box has so much more and is better, but articulating that to customers can be a challenge

5. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great company, strong product, good sales org

May 11, 2021 - Sales
      Business Outlook

Pros

Strong product and good product market fit. Incredible culture. Great work/life balance.

Cons

Experiencing some WFH pains like other tech companies

6. 5.0

Love working here 💙

Apr 30, 2021 - Marketing in Redwood City, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Best company I’ve worked for. They really care about their employees. When we were in office, there were great perks like an amazing cafeteria and coffee shop, transportation benefits, spacious office. Excellent culture firmly rooted in philosophies like “assume good intent.” Pay is competitive. Really like it here!

Cons

One downside is they don’t match your 401K contributions.

7. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Sinking ship. Hard to imagine it actually grow.

Apr 12, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

-competency and culture at IC level is great -work/life balance is great -compensation is competitive

Cons

-leadership doesn't seem to know how to grow the company anymore. frequent pivots in product direction with little validation before and after launch. -promo process can be frustrating and disappointing. -large churn in eng org

4 people found this review helpful
    8. 3.0

Overall positive

May 17, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture and co workers

Cons

None currently at this time

9. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

The little engine that could

Mar 16, 2021 - Customer Success
      Business Outlook

Pros

With just over 2000 employees give it enough time and you meet a good slice of the company. Box is a highly dynamic and empowering place with a genuine CEO that cares about having everyone share in the success, and shoulder the challenges together. The company places an emphasis on engaging with the community and contribute in multiple ways, in fact community engagement is highly encourage as part of your career path. The people ops/recruitment team does a great job of hiring diverse and smart people, which is a huge feat for a company of this size competing for talent in the same space as the big guys

Cons

Being a mature startup on the cusp of growing up can bring about some chaos, particularly with a high degree of turnover, so you must be prepared to bring new folks up to speed so they can be effective and contribute, and that can be time consuming.

10. 5.0

Best CEO ever!

Apr 15, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Aaron cares deeply about the company, our future trajectory, and every single individual here. -Great flexibility with working hours -- especially during COVID-19 pandemic. -Culture-forward company. Friday Lunches, Community Corner events, ERC's & interests groups. I feel like I'm part of a family when I come to work each day.

Cons

-No 401K match -Compensation and job leveling

Viewing 1 - 10 of 649 Reviews