Box Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Box Co-founder & CEO Aaron Levie
Aaron Levie

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great work life balance, depending on your team" (in 19 reviews)

• "Great culture, almost everyone is awesome to work with" (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • "Strong challenge day to day that can cut into work life balance if you lack on time management - generally not an issue" (in 8 reviews)

• "There are some growing pains, but luckily culture has not been sacrificed" (in 13 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative

I have been working at Box full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great culture, almost everyone is awesome to work with
    -The perks are top notch (unlimited PTO, free lunch, free snacks, good benefits etc)
    -Management team has superb vision
    -Company is doing well and in a great place to take the ECM market
    -Aaron is a truly incredible person that I believe will lead the company to great places
    -I have never felt the need to write a glassdoor review for any company I've worked for until I came to Box. It's that great.

Cons

-As Box grows it becomes harder for everyone to buy into the culture set by our CEO. Especially for hires that are older and from different backgrounds. I would caution candidates that aren't looking for a start-up culture even though Box is well beyond start-up stage.
    -Honestly not that many cons come to mind. Couldn't recommend it more.

"Great culture and people to work with"

I worked at Box full-time

Pros

Culture, work/life balance, people, free food, good benefits

Cons

Entry level salaries are not great, but mid level and senior roles catch up quikly

3. "Great company"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Box full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company, solving challenging problems.

Cons

Product needs to innovate at a faster pace.

4. "Awesome place"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Box full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome people and awesome place to work !
    Everyone is just so naice, I think I am in utopia :-) ! Seriously !
    After a couple of companies in the valley, I landed here !
    People are very understanding, appreciative and friendly.
    Managers do not boss around.
    They are simple, humble people, trying to under stand and help.

Cons

Company needs to double down and accelerate on some of its initiatives around its core product

Advice to Management

You guys are awesome ! Keep up the good work and accelerate on products like Platform, Zones, Notes, Workflow etc

5. "The people make the difference"

Current Employee - Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Box full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people at Box consistently make my day better.

I've been working in the tech industry since 1988. I have never, in my entire career, worked at a company that has better people. I think this is for a few reasons, but the biggest seems to be (as one senior manager told me) "We don't hire brilliant xyzholes". Every time I ask the wrong team for help, they do everything they can to help me, and find the right place for me to get additional assistance. I have yet to think to myself "Ok, now I've found the jerk..."

Add to that that Box LAVISHES their employees- The cafeteria is amazing, the cafe makes a killer mocha, management has their heads screwed on right and "gets it". Aaron Levi consistently says things that are both insightful and shows that he knows what he's doing. Of all the places I've ever worked (and there have been a lot of them, I've worked for some profoundly dysfunctional organizations- lookin' at you eBay), this is the one place that I can honestly say that if you have the opportunity to work here, you should grab it.

Cons

Some growing pains, but truthfully nothing unexpected.

They don't have peanut M&Ms in the kitchens anymore, but the variety of snacks (and benefits) is still nothing short of amazing.

Advice to Management

Don't change.
    Seriously, please don't change. I love it here.

6. "Great but room to improve"

I have been working at Box full-time

Pros

-growth stage so that means things are busy & exciting
    -the nicest & most helpful people you will ever meet
    -also, the most intelligent
    -supportive culture
    -latest and greatest technology
    -the product itself is a delight
    -Box lives and breathes their core values
    -feedback is encouraged
    -flex time off is actually encouraged & supported by management

Cons

-a little disorganized (growing company means a little crazy sometimes)
    -there's not a process for everything, so you may have to go through a few people to track down what you need/answer for your questions
    -some of the documentation is outdated (both internal & external), making it difficult to get certain things done when you're not sure what to trust
    -no 401k match, come on--get with the program

unequal benefits for different offices
    -cafeteria & tons of snacks in HQ--less options (& snacks aren't as good) in other offices
    -transit benefits for HQ, SF, Austin--absolutely ZERO for NYC
    -onsite benefits like dentist appts, massages, at HQ, nowhere else

Advice to Management

401k match is standard at these types of companies...you hear this all the time. Can we have some sort of tangible update?

Please equalize the benefits across the board for the offices in the US--it is unfair that NYC receives no commuter benefit...btw an unlimited MTA pass is less expensive than Caltrain

7. "Picker"

I have been working at Box part-time

Pros

Fun place to work with a lot of autmoation

Cons

None that I can think of

8. "Great Company to work for!"

I have been working at Box full-time

Pros

Unlimited PTO, Free lunch and snacks, good people

Cons

Not very diverse but the people are nice

Advice to Management

More minorities and women

9. "Excellent company to grow or start your career"

Current Employee - Strategic Account Executive in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Strategic Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Box full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

After working for a large technology company for a number of years, I can honestly say that making the move to Box was one of the smartest and rewarding professional decisions I’ve made. The company is large enough to provide you with the resources you need to get your job done but also small enough in size to still feel like the work you do makes an actual difference. Fortunately, in my three years here so far I have yet to experience the typical bureaucracy one might expect to see in a decent sized organization. Leadership on the sales side from Aaron, our COO Steph, and management are all willing to get involved to help you close deals rather than simply ask questions for no other purpose than forecasting. There are great opportunities to make money as a sales rep here as well as gain promotions from within. Culturally, Box is a grade above others in this space both in terms of the values we embody as an organization as well as an overall fun place to work everyday.

Cons

As we transition to a more solution based selling approach, deals become more complex and take longer to close. Furthermore, the transition from selling cloud storage and collaboration tools to cloud content management requires partnership with a broader ecosystem of vendors and SIs that complicates the sales cycle. Overall, things are very positive and you’re rewarded in terms of commission structure due to these complexities that senior management acknowledges.

Advice to Management

Focus more of our BD efforts on well established workflow and application vendors where critical company content resides and critical business processes are run. Partnerships with some of the sexier productivity companies are nice to announce, we need to double down on the large ERP vendors and BPM solutions to make our value prop easier to sell.

"The times they are a changing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Box full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you get on the right team, it can be super fun.

Work/life balance is amazing if you are on a supportive team. CEO & SVP HR do not really support working from home and both have confirmed in various conversations, so do with that what you will. CFO/COO do support it, so if you get on one of their teams, you are usually good to go; it is definitely team based.

The culture is still pretty good! Employees are really nice, everyone is really supportive, I have made life long friends. Lots of people are leaving though (3 really senior people in the last 6 weeks!! I’ve never see this before.) It’s starting to show that Aaron and Dylan are still learning how to run a business, they lean really hard of people they consider to be smart and seasoned, rarely push back on decisions and it has definitely changed the voice/culture of Box in the last year.

An honest career assessment is: If you get paid what you feel is fair, and you love the team you met with. Take the job - it can be a good career builder, and I don’t see the company getting acquired anytime soon. If you are a seasoned Boxer who is reminiscing about how it “used to be” - it is probably time to dust off the resume, because the times they are a changing and no-one is going to try and keep you (especially the head of HR! - make sure to keep personal effects on the desk to a minimum - the Kremlin/Salem hunters may come for you next!)

Cons

Pay - you will be underpaid compared to market value, Box knows this, they talk about it internally a LOT. Make sure you negotiate hard to get what you want before you start, because you likely will not come up to market rate during your time here.

Since the new SVP came in, people across teams either just disappear (stuff left on desk! Kremlin/Witch hunt style) or give notice. The culture has shifted to one professional face, not authentic happiness anymore, it feels like everyone plays along out of fear they could be next. Leadership loves her, so I don’t see this changing any time soon. She is really changing things - forcing a changing of the guard so to speak. New people are coming in who don’t have any experience with how amazing it used to be, which isn’t necessary bad per say - just kind of sad.

There are problem VPs/Executives across the company (one in finance has multiple complaints of bullying/harassment, another harassed someone out of a job, the new head of HR struggles with leadership) and some really really amazing ones -the COO is doing amazing things!

Growth is pretty hard and you have to be dedicated to sticking it out. This year, when they reviewed promotions on stage at a company lunch, an exec who sat on the compensation committee acknowledged that some people didn't get promoted the previous year because they just simply didn't have enough "time" in lower management. It isn't about talent or progress, it is about sitting in a role for 3+ years.

Physical space!! I am unsure as to why we are taking away collaboration space, and putting people on top of one another when most of our 5th floor is empty!? I have heard Aaron visually does not like it when people are spaced out, he wants it to "look busy" at all times (hence why he doesn't like working from home), but we are seriously sitting on top of one another and they just took away collaboration space and storage to make room for more desks - the 5th floor is 90% empty. It is crazy.

Advice to Management

None really, it seems management knows about a the "Cons" and simply isn't into changing it right now.

Box Response

Jun 11, 2018 – People Team

Thank you for your candid feedback. We read every review and take these concerns very seriously, especially the concerns you mentioned around harassment. Building an inclusive and safe culture is... More