Box Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Box Co-founder & CEO Aaron Levie
Aaron Levie

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great work life balance, depending on your team" (in 22 reviews)

• "Great culture, almost everyone is awesome to work with" (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • "There are some growing pains, but luckily culture has not been sacrificed" (in 13 reviews)

• "401k matching would be nice too, but I heard it's in the works" (in 13 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative

I have been working at Box full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great culture, almost everyone is awesome to work with
    -The perks are top notch (unlimited PTO, free lunch, free snacks, good benefits etc)
    -Management team has superb vision
    -Company is doing well and in a great place to take the ECM market
    -Aaron is a truly incredible person that I believe will lead the company to great places
    -I have never felt the need to write a glassdoor review for any company I've worked for until I came to Box. It's that great.

Cons

-As Box grows it becomes harder for everyone to buy into the culture set by our CEO. Especially for hires that are older and from different backgrounds. I would caution candidates that aren't looking for a start-up culture even though Box is well beyond start-up stage.
    -Honestly not that many cons come to mind. Couldn't recommend it more.

2. "Box Inc Review"

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Box full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture, team oriented atmosphere

Cons

A lot of competition can make sales challenging

3. "Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Box full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Products itself is pretty good. A lot of smart people, and everyone is willing to jump in and help including the exec team. From an AE perspective, all the managers I've come across have been excellent. If you are working at HQ, it seems like a pretty cool place to be. Box is also well respected in the cloud space

Cons

Inside sales team are pretty bad, but I believe it's because their overwhelmed as they cover 1:3 or 1:4. Have a hard time bringing product to market, not a lot of differentiators between Box and their competitors especially Microsoft. The channel and partner eco-system is pretty weak. The sales cycle is extremely long. The engineers and their management openly trash talk one another and AEs. I was extremely surprised the first time I heard it but it was done so much it seemed to be a common practice. The swim lanes seem to be constantly changing between the AE,IR,OBR, and CSM. There is always push back when delegating, especially between the IRs and CSMs which causes more of a division than anything else. So if you're coming on as an AE be prepared to just take on more of the load if you want stuff to get done in a timely manner. The comp plan/goals is different between the AEs and the support so you can imagine the issues that may cause if you an your IR or OBR have different objectives. Lastly, there is a high turn over rate for AEs.

"Unpleasant"

Pros

None na no zip nada

Cons

This horrific experience, which messed with me to my core, was a combo of the contracting ‘company’ I worked through and Box. I can’t even elaborate except to say I’m now with an organization (and my org prior to Box) that empowers employees and there’s autonomy but also support and consistent check ins. My boss and I chat repeatedly throughout the day and I’m a contractor!!! Box treats contractors like second class. And the full time people, in this function, are literally 23-25 and love themselves even though they lack actual life and professional experience. Weird how everyone chooses every other tech company to join 🧐

Advice to Management

Modernize your management approach and stop hiring straight out of school recruiters.

"Pretty great but a lot of room to improve"

I have been working at Box full-time

Pros

-The people hands down. I have really enjoyed being here and have a learned a lot from some really kind, smart and humble people.
    -The perks are always nice, especially lunch as the kitchen staff is amazing.
    -There's some transparency but I've noticed it start to slip away a lot more as Box has grown.
    -A lot of opportunity for side projects and cross functionality, but mainly driven by you.
    - I think a lot of work life balance depends on the team you're on but there doesn't seem to be a lot of people pulling crazy hours a lot.

Cons

-There are a lot of people who have been at Box for a while and have become managers because of tenure, not experience, which makes for a lot of disjointed management as people are "Figuring it out" and given a lot of faith to do well without help even though they're newer managers.
    -Top heavy company, not a lot of roles for younger people to start out in.
    -A lot of experienced managers leaving lately.
    -People team is a mess even with a new CPO, she doesn't seem to care to spend time with her teams that need direction and her focus seems mainly on exec.
    - Also, 401K match ya'll, get with it!

Advice to Management

-Think about scale, let some new fresh blood come in and help them grow.
    -Promote people who deserve to be managers, not just people who have been here for years.

6. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Box full-time

Pros

Great Culture emphasizes diversity and inclusion. Great Work-Life Balance. Devoid of Politics

Cons

Things do no move as quickly as they should.

"AE"

I have been working at Box full-time

Pros

Unbelievable culture and support with a market leading product - highly recommend!

Cons

Can't think of any - best company I've worked at

"Account executive, emerging market"

Pros

Good work environment. Fun culture

Cons

Territories change often. Have to be open to change.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

9. "Box review"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Box full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work life balance. Great food. Great location

Cons

When I joined Box there was a very high level of autonomy given to each engineer. Engineering culture was great. Over time i've seen Box grow more bureaucratic and the engineering culture decay. I think the engineering culture is still good, but it has gotten worse.

"Too Young For It's Own Good"

I have been working at Box full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

* Top level leadership (Aaron & Dylan) are genuinely good human beings that seem to care quite a bit about their employee base.
    * Product/Platform seem to be on the right track.
    * Compensation is aggressive (in spots)
    * The company is filled (in spots) with some amazing people

Cons

* Lower and middle management is filled with clueless, self-entitled, junior-level "leaders".
    * A ridiculous amount of thrash in different spots of the company.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to be "young and hip". There are going to be times when a tenured, seasoned leader is needed to run pieces of the business. Promoting internal mobility at the expense of the company's well-being, doesn't make much sense.