Box Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
Box Co-founder & CEO Aaron Levie
Aaron Levie

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible schedules, high salaries, unlimited vacation, free food and shuttles (in 24 reviews)

• I may miss out on the awesome lunches at HQ, but I make up for it in work / life balance (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Employees need to be careful not to let the excitement of the place interfere with their work-life balance (in 7 reviews)

• in "adolescent" period in the corporate sense, still having a few growing pains (in 12 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Enterprise Account Executive"

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Box full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, competitive pay, fast paced environment with solid leadership that is open to listening to employees to improve work experience. Everyone from CEO on down are willing to get involved in your deals to ensure you're successful. Truly a great place to work.

Cons

We are still growing at a rapid pace which brings its own set of challenges but compared to working at a large company, this is a far better experience. Some of the promotion paths are strict-- meaning reps need to be promoted to specific roles first before moving on to the next even when they are more qualified than outside candidates for open position.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, stay focused on maintaining our culture as we continue to grow. Adjust quotas based off of territory not a standard quota for every rep on the team.

2. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - CSM in New York, NY
    Current Employee - CSM in New York, NY

I have been working at Box full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun company to work for with great benefits

Cons

No cons that I can think of.

3. "Unreal"

Current Employee - Outbound Business Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Outbound Business Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Box full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, unreal perks, leadership, coworkers, work-life-balance, office location is dead in the middle of downtown Austin with a full balcony on the 24th floor— unreal views.

Cons

High expectations (Not really a con, just a reality from any growing company)

Advice to Management

Keep selection process rigorous, try to hire within from those who work up the ranks and understand Box use cases.

4. "Awesome company, awesome experience"

Former Employee - GM, Enterprise Business & Vice President, Global Marketing in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Box full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Tremendous vision for the future, very talented/smart people, great energy, happy customers, and a commitment to invest in the business.

Cons

Often too many priorities, making it difficult to do each one well.

Advice to Management

Keep doing the great work to deliver value to both customers and shareholders!

"I'm happy, paid well, and have everything I need to succeed."

Current Employee - Commercial Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Commercial Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Box full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Box is a "Goldilocks" company. Not too big, not too small... Just right. It's leadership and organization is nimble enough to move fast, make quick changes and always position itself ahead of the competition: Google, Microsoft, Amazon and Dropbox.

It also has the perks of a larger tech company: stability, high salaries, free food and snacks, gym and cell phone reimbursement, as well as endless trainings and professional development opportunities.

Plus: the culture is unique, one of a kind. Boxers are extremely extroverted and quirky. You have full permission to be your authentic self here.

Cons

I'm in sales. I feel that marketing isn't where it should be. We have very few inbound leads. This requires me to run full sales cycls. The competition is fierce. This is an increasingly commoditized space. However, I believe in Aaron.

Advice to Management

Please fix the marketing funnel and supply sales with more inbound leads who are bought into our cloud content management story.

6. "Ups and downs"

Current Employee - Sales in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Sales in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Box full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Talented peers and great technology. Aaron is very funny and a visionary. Company and product is light years ahead of competition.

Cons

Micromanagement by local sales management makes senior enterprise team feel like children. Many reps have more experience than the managers. Don't treat us like we are new to sales or sales process.

Advice to Management

Don't treat enterprise team like children.

7. "Great growth, opportunity is absolutely there but challenging!"

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Box full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great food, fantastic visibility into leadership, access to senior executives is unlike anything I've ever seen! Aaron is possibly one of the best CEOs out there, and his vision is very strong. He has almost a reality distortion field like Steve Jobs, and is brilliant! We're constantly providing upgrades to benefits, like paid time off for new families, etc. Box has an amazing metric they track: how many filled job roles for senior positions were from internal hires/transfers? That's huge in my book. The executive team goes out of their way to ensure there's full clarity on Box's mission, it's trajectory, and everything in between.

Cons

As the company grows, there's been some increases in politics here and there. It's not widespread, seems to be by org which is good. Every company will have politics - every company. Box can definitely do a better job at making it easier in some orgs (again, not all!!!) to get promoted. A few orgs have shown a decrease in merit-based recognition in favor of, well, favoritism. It's unfortunate, but to err is human right?

Advice to Management

Please keep an eye on morale, and favoritism. The latter is a time-bomb, but everything else you're doing is perfect! Box is seriously a great culture/company, and it's in huge part to you! It just has some rough edges that need more immediate attention.

"My Wife Hates Box"

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Box full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- A place you're always eager to come to
    - Filled with amazing people of diversity and talent
    - Solid company strategy and direction
    - Development and the pursuit of progressive opportunities continually pushed across the entire company
    - A spirit of always wanting to make Box continually better
    - Meaningful work a plenty

Cons

- A fear that this type of place in Silicon Valley won't last forever ( I can't see myself anywhere else after close to 20 years working in Tech)
    - I have to hide the fact I love my job at Box because the last time I shared this with my wife, she started thinking I didn't love her anymore and we got into a huge argument. For now on, I'm going to tell her Box stresses me out, they work me to death, my work has no meaning, and all the people here are not the greatest people I've ever worked with in my life.

Advice to Management

Continue to emphasize our core values, develop your employees, and never forget the reasons why all of us Box love it here so much. Why did it take almost two decades to find this place?

9. "Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Box full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company values your work and good compensation

Cons

There is no 401k match

"Box is a great place to work for!"

Current Employee - Finance in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Finance in Austin, TX

I have been working at Box full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture is amazing! There are happy hours, the ability to work from home, the employees are really sharp and friendly. Management listens to concerns and does their very best to address them.

Cons

The only con is that it could be more diverse like all of tech. There aren't very many people of color but everyone treats each other with respect so it makes it a lot better.