Box Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sort:
  1. Featured Interview

Senior Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Box (Redwood City, CA).

Interview

Total interview process took about a month from start to finish. An HR recruiter reached out to me via Linkedin as I had set my setting to "looking for new opportunities". Very friendly recruiter, discussed the entire process end to end so I new exactly what to expect. After discussing the position with the recruiter, she set me up with a one hour phone screen with the hiring manager. Hiring manager was super friendly as well! We had a really good conversation around engineering challenges, building teams, and my experience (drawing parallels to the open position).

Since that went well, I was schedule for the first of two onsites. I met with the hiring manager in person this time where behavioral and management type questions were discussed. Later in the day I met with another Director and Staff Engineer who I needed to present to (technical project I was involved with, architecture, decisions and trade offs, etc).

A few days later I got word that went well and they wanted to bring me back for a 2nd and final onsite. The second onsite was super fun. I was impressed that they actually wanted to test my technical breadth (refreshing since many leadership interview positions are light in this area). This was exciting to me since it would allow me to connect with the engineers on the team more. The first interview of the day was with the Director of the department and she proceeded to go over more behavioral/management/cultural fit questions. I also go to meet with one of the founders for lunch which was super cool. The tech interviews on front end architecture and an open ended design questions was super fun and engaging! I thought it was great that they focused quite a bit in this area.

Last but not least, I had a competing offer from a very prominent social media company that will remain nameless, but it wasn't really much of a competition since Box offered me one of the best compensation packages in line with my experience and performance in the interview. Additionally, they had the CEO of the company give me a call to answer any additional questions I had, which showed me they valued me and wanted me on their team. Guess who I signed with?

Overall, the interview experience/process was smooth and they worked with me on a start date that made sense for both parties.

Corporate Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Altos, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Box (Los Altos, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

The internal recruiter reached out to me on LinkedIn, and the while the overall OTE was less than what I am currently making, I decided to entertain them. We had about two phone interviews, followed by an onsite (3-4 hour) interview with around 6 more people, followed by presentation to the VP over the phone, followed by more phone interviews. I was open and honest about my current situation (which is a big management mess) and they told me that was taken as being a "negative" person. I reminded them that THEY reached out to ME (I wasnt actually shopping at the time) however I guess they didnt see it that way? They are also growing a bit too fast for my comfort and after speaking to internal sales employees that was confirmed. Glad an offer wasnt made as I wouldnt have accepted it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Box (New York, NY).

Interview

Introduced through a external recruiter. Initial phone interview with an internal recruiter. Second phone interview with sales manager. Email sales exercise (2-3 sample sales emails). In person interview with 4-5 people on sales team. Last step is phone interview with head of sales for company.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Box (Austin, TX) in June 2017.

Interview

Box is an incredible company and the interview process proved that they are efficient and take the time to know every individual in order to determine how they will fit with the company. The interview process took a total of 3-4 weeks starting with 2 phone screens with a recruiter, a 30 minute call with a sales manager, followed by a 2.5 interview round robin process with 5 interviews with different teams members and lastly, a 30 minute call with the director of sales/strategy. My recruiter was excellent at preparing me for each interview and each conversation was free flowing and in depth with my past experience.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Box (San Francisco, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

Process consisted of an initial phone call with their sales recruiter. One week later, I spoke with the manager of the team. From there I was asked to come in for an on-site and meet with members of the team. Overall it was one of the most professional and streamlined experiences I've encountered.

Contracts Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Box (Palo Alto, CA) in August 2012.

Interview

I applied in July 2012. In early August 2012, I received an email from HR to set up phone interview with a talent recruiter. Spoke with the recruiter and was asked general questions about my contracts knowledge and experiences. I explained I have a JD and have negotiated technology and software business contracts exclusively for the past 3 years. I went into great detail (for just under an hour) and was then asked if I was willing to relocate to Palo Alto (I currently live in the Milwaukee, WI area). I expressed that I was interested in relocating and would do so. I mentioned that I've lived in California previously.

The talent recruiter acted very excited to fly me out for an in-person interview and went on and on about how great the Palo Alto facilities and people are. She said she would (for sure) set up a Skype interview with me and the Corporate Counsel, but would run it by him first. Of course I was surprised and irritated when I followed up and got the cold shoulder. No flight out to HQs. No Skype. No answer to inquiries. The only follow up I received was a generic "This position has been filled" email, which I received in September 2012. Shame.

People Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Box (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Just a phone interview with a 21 year old just out of college. This start up company just wants to hire young people and not experienced workers. I was turned off by the phone interview. They asked basic questions nothing hard. The person I interviewed with just wanted to know about my experience and also asked if I ever worked for a start-up, when I asked questions about the company, the answers were very short and it didn't get me excited about the company.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Box.

Interview

Applied online and was offered an interview within two weeks
    First interviewer was nice and took time to learn more about me
    Second interviewer talked less than 3 minutes the entire interview

Interview Questions

• Given array find all the sets of two numbers that add up to a target number
      Elevator Question   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Box.

Interview

Got contacted by a recruiter to set up a techinical interview right away. Talked to two engineers, I thought both went well. One asked about the elevator question and another asked to write a method that determines whether a tree is unival.

Interview Questions

• The elevator question might catch someone off guard if you don't think about it before/code it out.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I interviewed at Box in October 2014.

Interview

Submitted an application online and received an email from the recruiter regarding a phone screen in less than 12 hours. I sent in my availability and eventually scheduled an interview for a week later. I had two back to back hour long technical interviews.

Interview Questions

• Implement a method to check if a tree is unival   3 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Box in October 2014.

Interview

Applied online, got a reply a while later about scheduling a 2 hour Skype interview. They said they were busy, so took a few more weeks before I actually interviewed. Interviewed with two separate engineers, they seemed fairly nice, but both of them pretty much got right away into having me solve the technical question. The first one was the elevator design problem, the second one about making a deep copy of a linked list with next pointers, and random pointers to a node in the list.

Interview Questions

• There is so much that goes into the elevator design problem, I didn't think fast enough to write out a good solution and code it.   Answer Question