Braintree Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.1

1. Featured Interview

Merchant Accounting Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Braintree (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I initially applied for a different position on the Braintree website, but about a week later, a corporate recruiter reached out to me to discuss the merchant accounting analyst position. I spoke with an HR rep for about a half hour regarding the position and my background. I was given a take home excel exam with a couple of days to complete it, which was plenty of time. The next step was an in person interview which took about 3 hours. Everyone I spoke with was very nice, transparent and seemed to have positive experiences working at Braintree. The whole experience was seamless and enjoyable.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you went above and beyond for a client.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Braintree.

Interview

Applied online and got a call from a recruiter later that day. Nothing too substantial in this conversation. The recruiter then sent me a coding challenge to complete within a week. It was pretty basic object oriented stuff. We had to submit tests and documentation explaining our methodology and why we chose the language we chose. A few days after submitting the code, the recruiter called me to let me know the engineering team wasn't satisfied with my submission.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Braintree.

Interview

Initial phone screen with HR to go over my background, general skills and cultural fit. The next step was a take home code exercise(nothing too complicated), after the team had the opportunity to review my code I was invited to a full day at Braintree(10am-4pm aprox).

The day started with technical talk, followed by lunch, a white board session and finally a pair up session(we continued working on the code I sent initially), the day ended with a talk to HR to go over benefits and answering any questions I had.

Even tho I didn't get the job I am glad I had the opportunity to spend a day at Braintree, there are amazing people in the organization and I kind of felt part of the team for 1 day. No puzzle, no tricky questions!

Suggestions for Braintree: Better feedback. If you decide a candidate is not the right fit for the position help them understand why. Maybe even offer some resources or suggestions on how to improve areas where candidates appear weak.

Interview Questions

• There are no difficult questions, they start with something simple and push you to see how much you know about the subject for example: How would you design a URL shortener app? the answer can be simple or complicated depending on your level of expertise.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Braintree (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

They've sent me the interview request on Hired.com. After the initial phone conversation with their recruiter he sent me the test assignment to be completed within 5 days. The tests and README are required besides just the implementation, note that later on during an on-site pairing session you'll continue working on this same program and you'll have to explain your solution to their developers. Looking back I must say not being able to TDD it while extending the functionality on-site would probably be a "no". I've TDDed every line of the code in Ruby from start to finish and it was a pleasure since the task is simple enough to work with value objects which can be easily unit tested. Also it's possible to write an acceptance test for the program with the help of a gem that provides some particularly helpful Cucumber steps. I've sent the solution and in three days their feedback was that they liked it and we scheduled a phone interview with their developers. The questions during a technical phone interview were all standard. I've passed it and they've invited me to San Francisco for a full-day 4-session on-site interview. Those are

1. Another tech interview.
    2. Lunch.
    3. Pairing session to explain the solution to the coding assignment, extend it with new functionality and showcase your Unix skills on a live box.
    4. Product session where you'll have to go through building a sample web app (e.g. Amazon, Tinyurl, Ticketmaster, Eventbrite and so on). Keep in mind that this is purely technical session and they'll try to see the depth in all aspects of the construction of an app and how would you resolve some edge cases like when two people are booking the same seat at the same time. At the end they asked how would you scale the app.

I've successfully passed the lunch and a pairing session, but failed at a tech and product sessions by not answering some naive questions like what's the difference between the optimistic and pessimistic locking, what's the difference between "includes" and "joins", how passwords are hashed/salted during an authentication, some Ruby object model questions and a couple of others. So if you're confident in Ruby, Rails, database layer (including key/value stores) and TDD, you should be fine.

Interview Questions

• They want to know about the past projects in as many details as possible, so be ready to give a clear picture of the apps that you've worked on.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Braintree (Chicago, IL).

Interview

The basic structure was:
    1. Quick 15 minute phone screen after sending in your resume.
    2. Programming assignment to complete within a week.
    3. Technical phone interview lasting 30-60 minutes.
    4. Full day on-site interview

Both phone interviews were pretty standard. Go over your resume and some relatively simple technical questions.

The programming assignment was a good mix between being simple enough to complete without much difficulty, but complex enough that you could really differentiate yourself with a good solution.

The on-site interview was a great experience. They give you a tour of the office which was very impressive. Plus throughout the whole day there was plenty of time to ask questions about the company to regular developers. I left feeling like I knew enough about Braintree to confidently make a decision if I got an offer.

There were three distinct interview parts (In addition to lunch): A general technical interview where you both talk about some specific projects you've worked on in the past as well as do some coding problems on a whiteboard. A whiteboarding session where you map out the overall design of a web application(what would API look like, how to store data, how to scale, etc). And finally a pairing session where you make an update to your own code from the programming assignment.

I would describe the difficulty level as being thorough and challenging but not unnecessarily difficult. There were no trivia questions about syntax or specific technologies and no brainteaser questions. Every part of the interview felt like it was covering something that would be directly relevant to the job.

Overall it was an outstanding interview process. They were very responsive and respectful throughout the process and I think I would have been left with a positive opinion of Braintree regardless of the outcome.

Interview Questions

• Go into detail about specific projects you've worked on. Be ready for follow up questions about how or why you did things.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Braintree in January 2015.

Interview

Applied on LinkedIn and was notified that they were interested in my application about 2 weeks later. Talked to a recruiter for about 20 minutes where they asked me things from my resume. I was then asked to complete a programming challenge and submit it within the week. Following, I was told that a team of developers would contact me for a technical interview. It has been about 4 days since my technical interview with no response.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Braintree (Chicago, IL) in November 2014.

Interview

Phone Screening - 15 mins - Basically a sanity check to make sure you can speak well and ask how you heard about them.

Coding Assignment - Few Hours - Basic coding problem to see if you can write clear, expressive, *well-tested* code.

Phone Interview - about an hour - Phone interview to talk about tech stuff and see what kind of opinions you have and how you think about programming, where your experience is, etc.

1 Day In-Person Interview - Full ~6 Hours - Tech Interviews, lunch, and pair programming. The team basically sizes you up in terms of coding and problem-solving chops. What experience do you have? What projects have you worked on? Can you solve X in language Y you told us you know well?

Interview Questions

• How would build the next whatsapp type messaging application? (high level overview of app structure)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Braintree (Chicago, IL) in January 2015.

Interview

I applied online in early January and was asked by a hiring manager for a phone interview in a about a week to discuss my qualifications. The interview was very straightforward.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Braintree (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

It starts with a getting to know you phone screen at the end of which they will give you a take home coding exercise that you can finish within a week. Spend as much time needed to understand and complete the exercise but I would recommend not taking too long. Maybe between 24~48 hours is good depending on your level. Make sure to practice proper TDD, proper object modeling, clean/idiomatic Ruby. If the team likes your work, you will have another phone screen done by two engineers. This will be very technical and the questions will tend to revolve around your past work based on what you have in your resume. Prepare to be able to dive into the very technical parts of your project and don't stay too high level. They use this phone screen to gauge how well you understand the underlying technologies that you used. When you pass this, you will then be invited for a 6-hour on-site interview. This will be divided into 4 parts:

1) TECH - A different pair of engineers will do a second round of tech talks with you. This is basically the same as the technical phone screen. Again, don't stay too high level. Get into the weeds. Draw diagrams. Write sample code if you must to get your point across that you know your stuff! :-);

2) LUNCH - A different pair of engineers will take you out to lunch. They will look at how well you get along, what your interests are aside from coding. Talk about your hobbies or geek out about something in your life aside from computers. Stop talking once in a while and ask questions to know about what they like to geek out about.

3) PAIRING - Another pair of engineers will observe you. This time, in a pair programming environment. If you're not familiar with pair programming or if you don't even do it at work, make sure to brush up on this otherwise this will be the most unnerving part. At least it was for me. I'm not used to someone looking at what I type as I code and I got too self conscious and easily got lost in the weeds at times. The work here will be a continuation of your take home coding exercise where they will give you requirements that require a change in your code. They will focus more on how you code so don't worry too much about completing the requirements within the given time. Focus more on proper TDD, about using idiomatic Ruby, about wrapping your head around the domain and understanding where the change needs to be. There will be no whiteboard here so if you're like me and you need to draw things out to understand the domain, try and ask if you can get some paper and pen. I didn't ask for these which is how I got confused easily.

4) PRODUCT - This will be an architectural design session another pair of engineers will ask you to design a product from UI flow, HTTP API design, object/data model, etc. Prepare to dive down to the very technical aspects too like database locking, handling contention, includes vs joins, etc. You're not expected to code anything here. They just want to find out how well you can think in the big picture but also how you can link that to the underlying design/architecture. I got lost in the weeds during data modeling because I jumped straight to object attributes instead of focusing first on the relationships between objects. Brush up on your UML, particularly object modeling. Also, brush up on Adaptive Path's sketch boarding to make your UI flow design smoother.

At the end of that, you can leave and they will deliberate as a group on what were your strong points, weak points, and if there were any red flags. Naturally, being a top-quality engineering team they will only want the cream of the crop and they will be heavily biased in their opinion of you by the red flags. Feedback is quick. I got mine by morning of the next day when I was told I did not make the cut and gave me the reasons. If you didn't make it, feel free to ask for more details on the feedback as they do provide useful feedback that will help you improve. If you made it, you rock! Braintree has one of the best software engineering environments from what I've seen and if you pass, you're one of my heroes!

Interview Questions

• How are you going to handle the scenario where two users attempt to reserve a venue seat at the same time?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Braintree (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Interview process starts with a basic homework assignment that takes less than an hour to complete. There's no brain teaser or overly complex functionality to implement so it's mainly just a screening technique. Afterwards, they'll schedule you for a 1 hour phone interview with one of their engineers. They'll quiz you on your knowledge of whatever programming language is relevant to the position you're applying for as well as asking a little bit about your experience with software development processes. All the questions they ask here are pretty reasonable. Next is the onsite interview where they do a deep dive into your technical knowledge and experience as well as some pair programming. The technical deep dive is where things can become difficult as the majority of the questions they ask are based off of previous projects you've worked on including ones from several years back. This segment is just talking so there is no coding or white boarding at all. The interviewers really push for as many details as possible about everything you mention so make sure that you that you drive the interview and only bring up topics that you're comfortable speaking about in extravagant detail. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of speaking to broadly about my experience and the interviewers kept pushing for details on topics that were either too far in the past for me to speak about in detail or were not really my preferred topics of discussion. Most of the questions they ask are based on what they read off your resume so make sure you review what you've written on there and possibly tailor it to only include items that you want to talk about.

Interview Questions

• How would you create your ideal team if you had 6 engineers?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Braintree (San Francisco, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

The initial phone screen seemed to be mostly a get-to-know-you deal, just questions about my background and my experience using their SDK.

Next came a simple programming project, with one week to complete. The problem wasn't complicated, but an experienced developer would be able to distinguish themselves. Be sure to test everything, and structure it like you expect it to become a larger project. When I submitted it, I felt like my solution was a bit over-engineered for a simple command line app, but the feedback I received on it was overwhelmingly positive.

Next came a tech phone screen with two of the engineers. I had been told beforehand that they would be trying to discern my technical depth. They mostly asked about projects I had done and any challenges I had overcome while working on them. The day after the interview I received a call informing me that they weren't going to continue the interview process with me. The feedback I received was that the interviewers felt I had stayed too high level in my explanation of my projects, and that had raised some red flags for them.

If you're like me and you have a hard time explaining things unless you draw them out, I'd suggest you ask if you can use some sort of on-line whiteboard during the technical phone screen.

Interview Questions

• Which style of language do you like better, statically typed or duck typed? Have you had any problems with duck typing that would have been caught by a compiler?   Answer Question
    • Describe your idea software team. How they're structured and how they work.   Answer Question