Bronto Software Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 16, 2016

2.9

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Bronto Software (Durham, NC) in August 2016.

Interview

I applied online using Bronto's job site, which was easy to use and didn't require me to enter my job history manually. (Thank you!) Bronto recruiter contacted me and we had a phone interview. Phone interview with hiring manager, then four interviews on-site.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Bronto was one of only two companies that provided me information about the benefits package before I ever interviewed on-site. I really appreciated that transparency, and it was a large factor in my interest in working for Bronto.

As a woman working in tech, I'm not used to being paid what I'm worth. Bronto values women's contributions. That was clear, both in the interview process and during negotiation.

When it comes to salary, ask for what the role is worth, and factor in your experience. Bronto's offer was competitive, which showed me the leadership values its employees.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Bronto Software (Durham, NC) in July 2016.

Interview

There's a disconnect between engineering (excellent) and HR/recruiting (bad).

The good: started off with a walkthrough of the office (nice), then easing into the nuts and bolts. Engineering part of the interview felt challenging but fair, one of the best I've seen. All positives, great team vibe, smart, technically competent, and friendly. They gave my skills a real workout and had enough challenging system design/architecture questions that I could strut my stuff, but without feeling like they were grilling -- very collaborative. Mostly a series of 2-3 person interviews over a half day, giving a preconfigured computer with multiple IDEs and google/stackoverflow access for the real coding portions (great). Only negative was that engineering didn't come off as very diverse.

The bad: HR/recruiting, in general. They were very unreliable in getting back in touch, even when ready to extend an offer (to be fair, there was a lot of internal change happening around that time, but still!). Pushy about trying to get previous salary. Even though I found out I did extremely well in the interview, they extended a lowball offer (no better than my current role) and gave a strong impression that they didn't care if they hired or not.

Interview Questions

• Sorry, I can't legally list this in detail.

Expect a mix of soft skills/experience/motivations questions from managers & senior manager.

One basic whiteboard coding problem at just over the fizzbuzz level.

One hands-on coding problem (fairly easy but with enough nuances to trip up the unwary, or to show off clever approaches). Full IDE & internet access -- a nice real-world approach here.

One extended discussion with architect-level people about systems design, which has many different solutions possible and lots of possible avenues to explore. A fun challenge.
      Answer Question

Extremely low offer and unpleasantly manipulative tactics from HR/recruiting.

Market norm for similar roles in this area would be $95k (internal promotions mostly) to $115k, with median of $100k. They offered just $91k for a senior-level position, and tried to justify this by claiming the one-time signing bonus made up the difference. Granted $35k in RSUs vesting over 4 years is nothing to blow your nose at, but base pay and one-time signing bonuses are not the same.

I indicated politely that I was open to negotiation if they could revise to something more market appropriate (with some numbers given), and was mostly puzzled why the offer was so low. They didn't make any real attempt to justify their figure or offer additional value to indicate why it was worthwhile (ESPP? extra benefits? etc?), just tried to strong-arm me.

Although the recent Oracle acquisition is cause for concern, they probably would have had me if the recruiters had been more effective and professional. It felt like engineering would have been as happy to take me as I would be to join them, but HR couldn't care less about whether or not they hired.

Recommendation: more closely involve engineering management in the hiring/negotiation part of the process (or at least make recruiting accountable to them).

Associate Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bronto Software (Durham, NC) in June 2016.

Interview

I applied on the site and once the recruiter reached out the whole process was simple! Took about a week before I had my answer and feedback. The recruiter was amazing throughout the process. The interviews were very laid back, one single review as well as a panel interview and final phone screen.

Human Resources Generalist III Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bronto Software in June 2016.

Interview

Seamless, well communicated process. Phone interviews were arranged in advance and the recruiter (in house) kept me well aware of the next steps. In person interviews were with small groups and very transparent. Tour and very open to sharing the complete picture of the role and company. Quick process and feedback. Walked away impressed.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to handle a difficult situation.
      How do you handle conflict?

Marketing Strategist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bronto Software (Durham, NC) in April 2016.

Interview

I first had a phone screen with the corporate recruiter. Then I had 2 other separate interviews with different team members. These were very conversational interviews about my experience, general knowledge about concepts and opinions about the subject matter. The 4th step was a presentation to the team over some material that was provided. I wasn't local, so this was done via web conference/screen sharing.

The people involved all seemed great and fairly responsive throughout, but I get the sense they were rather indecisive. The process was dragged out a bit with some scheduling "adventures" on their part. I was in my element and handled everything thrown my way without a hitch. In the end, despite things seeming to go well, they just decided to continue interviewing without much more explanation. It's obnoxious, but this seems prevalent in today's hiring process. It is not unique to them. I do wish them well. They have a good product.

Interview Questions

• If a client's email subscriber list growth is flat, what are some steps you would take?   Answer Question

Account Manager III Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bronto Software in December 2015.

Interview

Incredibly and unnecessarily long interview process. I started the process back in late December and was strung along for 2 months for them to tell me that they were hiring an internal candidate today. Regardless of whether or not they're "hiring a new manager", it should not take a company 2 months to hire a candidate. Not in this labor market. Due to an error the their part, the interviewer, very smugly conducted an interview with an old resume that was posted to the site years ago. Whatever this company was 5-6 years ago is no more. They're now merely an auxiliary arm of some larger firm. I do not recommend.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bronto Software (Durham, NC) in June 2015.

Interview

The interview processes moved pretty quickly in the beginning. Phone call with a recruiter. Followed by a call with the hiring manager that same week. The following week I was flown out for a half day of interviewing with the VP of Sales, two managers, and a team member. The interviews were individual not panel.

After that the process dragged on. The company was in the process of being sold. Followed up every two weeks for about a month and a half being told I was still in the running but there was a chance the position could be moved to a different location. It was.

I understand the complexities of a company going through a merger, the only thing I would have asked is for better communication.

Other than that, positive experience. I hope the company can keep it culture with the changes.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when a customer had an issue that couldn't be resolved, how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Bronto Software (Durham, NC) in May 2015.

Interview

Brief phone interview with HR. They brought me in for an in-person interview.

I was walked around the (very nice) office space and given a brief overview of the company. Then taken to the room where I'd be interviewing.

The actual interview part took 4 hours. 4 different interviews with small groups of people. First 3 were all technical. (one about design/architecture, one with whiteboard coding and one with actual coding on a machine.) The last one was with the Directory of Development.

Overall, a very good interview. The questions were tough, but useful (no "trick" questions, and all were about actual design or development)

Interview Questions

• I signed an NDA, so sorry, no actual questions.
      But, they asked about system design. This involved 2 different scenarios, and they constantly asked "what about this" type of questions.
      The programming interviews were also scenario based questions.

Professional Services Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Bronto Software (Durham, NC) in May 2015.

Interview

Met with a great team 1-1 or in group settings on multiple occasions. Impressed with all involved. Unfortunately, the job was still being defined which may have complicated the interview process.

Product Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Bronto Software.

Interview

15 minute interview. Great couple of guys, very enthusiastic! Two gentleman asked about 4 questions each, with time for me to ask questions at the end.

Given that I was not quite qualified for the position, they gave me numerous options to pursue (so as to better my position).

Even though I wasn't a fit for the current company need, I left the interview encouraged. They did not simply tell me 'No'. They explained what I lacked, and gave me an example of how to correct it.

Thanks to Bronto for the only time I felt encouraged when I was rejected. Well done!

I wish this company well, and look forward to a chance to interview again!