CertainTeed Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 10, 2017

2.7

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

Interview

Applied to position through company web site. After a few weeks I was contacted by a gentleman in HR for a short phone interview who also didn't know specifics on the position (based on other reviews I've read prior to mine). We agreed on a specific day and time for a scheduled call but he never called on that day and no email was sent to explain why he didn't do the call until two days later when I reached out to him first. Call is completed then week and a half goes by without any follow-up or response on next steps. After that I reach out again to inquire about next steps and no response - then week or so later I receive an email to ask if I am available for in person interview. I comply, interview with 4 people in Malvern office, send all my thank you emails the next day and don't hear back from anyone! I mean really, 4 face interviews and not even the courtesy to send a short email response? Then few weeks go by and I receive email from HR guy saying everyone was interested in me and can I come in for one more face interview - then same scenario takes place, do the interview, send follow up thank you email and no responses from HR or the interviewer. Finally receive email from HR week or so later that they are interested and will get back to me. Very long and ridiculous story short, now almost 3 weeks go by without any response after I left a phone/email message. If this is how they treat candidates that they like how do they really treat employees? I know large companies tend to have a longer HR process but this seems excessive and quite unprofessional to leave people hanging in this manner. A short concise email with a brief update only takes a minute to send out - no one is that busy.

Interview Questions

• Typical situational interview questions - nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CertainTeed (Malvern, PA).

Interview

I applied for a Marketing Specialist role. Someone reached out to me to do a video interview, which I can imagine turns away some good potential employees. It wasn't your typical video interview but one where you had 30 seconds to look at a question and only a minute or two to elaborate. Each question was recorded.

I then got invited to an in-person interview which lasted half a day. Majority of the women I met with were amazing and really knew their stuff; in my opinion, they would have been great to work for. However, the last woman who interviewed me seemed to expect me to have my entire career path laid out and told me as soon as she walked in that "if you didn't look at the company website, i'll tell you to leave now."

I sent several follow up emails but never heard back. Zip, nada, nothing. In my opinion, if someone makes it to a finalist round and has to take the time off of work to come in, at a minimum send a form rejection email. It is plain rude to ghost an individual and shows a lot about a company and how they value their employees.

Interview Questions

• What is your career path 10 years from now and what can go wrong?   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at CertainTeed (Las Vegas, NV) in June 2017.

Interview

Was referred by a current employee and a phone interview was scheduled at a set time and then he didn't call at that time and I waited for 2 hours and he only emailed me back 2-3 days later saying something came up, which I thought was quite rude. So the phone interview was just talking about my engineering project at school and mostly about the position itself. The in-person interview was scheduled over a month later and I was flown out. Everything was paid for and the interviewees were taken to the plant where there were multiple 30-minute interviews. The day concluded with a plant tour. The HR representative stated that we would hear back the following week. I left a thank you email the following day and then one week went by and I sent another email. The following week I tried to call and left a message and still no response. Even no reply to a text. I had to contact another HR representative to find out I didn't get the job. 4 weeks went by and my original HR representative contacted me by email to say I didn't get it even though the decision was made weeks before that. Overall very negative experience thanks to their HR department.

Interview Questions

• Biggest Strength? Biggest Weakness? Describe a time that you took on a leadership position? How did you deal with any issues? Hobbies? What is your dream job? Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?   Answer Question

Digital Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CertainTeed (Malvern, PA) in June 2017.

Interview

As a large corporation, I was expecting the process to move along fairly slowly, so it was a month from applying when I was contacted by a recruiter. Went over some basic details and salary requirements, then was told someone in HR would follow up to schedule an in-person interview. About a week later the interview was scheduled. I was told it was a one shot deal- you come in for ~3 hours and run the gauntlet of interviewers, there's no shuttling back and forth... while I thought this was a nice concept, it definitely made interview day a bit of an overload. First I met with the hiring manager, followed by someone in Corporate Marketing. After that, two colleagues within the potential department, and lastly the VP of the department. Most were relatively personable, a few felt like they were just going through the motions. The VP asked some thought-provoking questions, but I could also sense they might be a bit challenging to work under...

About a week and a half after the interview, I was contacted and told that the position was being put on hold. And a month after that, I saw both this exact position and the direct manager's position posted on job sites... uh oh. I also applied for the same position within a different division of the company and was contacted by a different recruiter to set up an interview, but then never heard back. Seems like a bit of turmoil in the ranks, so might be better that nothing ever came from it...

Interview Questions

• Give me 10 one word adjectives to describe you in both personal and professional settings.   3 Answers

Roofing R&D Interview

Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CertainTeed (Malvern, PA) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied through my university's system with a transcript and a resume. After contacting them once I heard that they wanted to interview me, we were able to set up a date within a week. I had a panel interview with several people I would be working under and then received a facility tour. I heard back from them through my university. Throughout the entire process everyone that I interviewed was warm, pleasant, and helpful.

Interview Questions

• What were you hoping to get out of this internship?   1 Answer

Professional Role Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CertainTeed.

Interview

I was first contacted by the recruiter who did not ask any questions; he only verified my continued interest in the job. I then participated in a phone interview with HR then onsite interview with site operations leader. Recruiter inexperienced and unprofessional. Site management very friendly but interview process disorganized to say the least. WARNING: Don't expect to receive reimbursement for travel expenses. My follow up communications with HR regarding the process for reimbursement were ignored.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at CertainTeed (Malvern, PA) in May 2016.

Interview

I applied on-line and within a few weeks was contacted to set-up a phone screen with HR which occurred a few days later. HR was very helpful giving background on the company and position, but couldn't answer detailed questions about the role. The discussion was intended to give me an outline of the next steps in the process.

A few days later I received an e-mail w/ instructions to complete an on-line interview. Using my webcam I had to provide responses to 5 preset questions which were recorded and sent to the team conducting the interviews. All candidates would receive the 5 same questions. I was given 3 days to complete this task. The instructions for this section weren't exactly clear so I didn't know what to expect before I started. Could I re-record answers? I couldn't. How much time I'd have to answer each question? About 2 1/2 minutes. Could I pause between questions or was it one recorded response covering all 5 questions? Turns out I could stop between each question for as long as needed. Once I clicked the next question I had 30 seconds to read it and 2 1/2 minutes to respond.

A week after the on-line interview I was contacted for in-person interviews. I received the e-mail late on Friday and was expected to be available that coming Tuesday. Took some re-arranging but I was able to make it work. I met with the same HR person I spoke to on the phone, the hiring manager and one of their peers. The interview questions were all fairly typical (strengths, why this role, etc..).

I thought the interviews went quite well, but I never heard from the company again. I sent thank you letters the next day and reached out to HR via e-mail 2 weeks after the interviews, but never received a response. I can accept not receiving an offer, but somewhat offended they couldn't send the boilerplate "sorry, but we've decided to go in another direction" notification. I saw another interview wrote about a similar experience, so I guess it's not just me.

I did learn they were interviewing internal and external candidates for the role. They seemed somewhat conflicted with hiring internal vs external. Throughout the interview they mentioned the need to bringing new talent as they had an aging population with many expected to retire soon. But the hiring manager also slipped and commented on how much extra effort it took to bring someone into their organization. He seemed somewhat annoyed by the prospect.

Marketing Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CertainTeed in May 2016.

Interview

First step was a video interview which required me to record answers to 5 questions via webcam and then submit the recording. You have 30 seconds to look at each question and 2:30 to answer, and you can do it all a second time before submitting.

A few days later I was selected for in-person interviews -- 4 one-on-one interviews, about 45 minutes each, in one day.

Interviewers #1 and #2 had a couple difficult questions but were friendly, and I thought the interview went well up to that point. Then came Interviewer #3...

Interviewer #3 started off difficult and became openly aggressive and confrontational -- it seemed like she was determined to make sure I didn't get this job and that she resented the fact she had to take 45 minutes out of her very, very important day to talk to me. Her first question was along the lines of "look at this job description and tell me what is necessary to perform this job," which is something the interviewee, if anyone, should ask, not the interviewer, and her subsequent questions basically required me to have a detailed plan for the next 10 years of my career; if I had that planned out already I probably wouldn't be interviewing for a new job in the first place. She didn't like my not-overly-specific answers and became persistent and dismissive, and she gave a hostile response to a completely appropriate question I asked her about the position. As a final insult, she did not even attempt to shake my hand when leaving the room.

I learned a week or two later that I had not received the offer, which did not come as a surprise, but if I had I may have been hesitant to take it and face the prospect of working with Interviewer #3. I am sure she is not representative of all people in this very large company, but after this experience I would recommend being cautious about entering their process if you are applying for corporate jobs.

Interview Questions

• What skills do you need to develop to achieve your career goals?   Answer Question

SAP Applications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CertainTeed (Malvern, PA) in March 2016.

Interview

They interviewed over phone and then call me on site for 2 hr interview with 4 people . No response on interview results even after 2 months . No feedback from HR after repeated contacts

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at CertainTeed.

Interview

phone interview, disc assessment and 3 hour interview with 5 different people. same amount of focus on interviews for entry level as with management positions. The whole process took approximately 4 weeks from initial contact.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a situation that didn't have a clear objective?   Answer Question