CertainTeed Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 20, 2017

2.7

Roofing R&D Interview

Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CertainTeed (Malvern, PA) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied through my university's system with a transcript and a resume. After contacting them once I heard that they wanted to interview me, we were able to set up a date within a week. I had a panel interview with several people I would be working under and then received a facility tour. I heard back from them through my university. Throughout the entire process everyone that I interviewed was warm, pleasant, and helpful.

Interview Questions

• What were you hoping to get out of this internship?   1 Answer

Professional Role Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CertainTeed.

Interview

I was first contacted by the recruiter who did not ask any questions; he only verified my continued interest in the job. I then participated in a phone interview with HR then onsite interview with site operations leader. Recruiter inexperienced and unprofessional. Site management very friendly but interview process disorganized to say the least. WARNING: Don't expect to receive reimbursement for travel expenses. My follow up communications with HR regarding the process for reimbursement were ignored.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at CertainTeed (Malvern, PA) in May 2016.

Interview

I applied on-line and within a few weeks was contacted to set-up a phone screen with HR which occurred a few days later. HR was very helpful giving background on the company and position, but couldn't answer detailed questions about the role. The discussion was intended to give me an outline of the next steps in the process.

A few days later I received an e-mail w/ instructions to complete an on-line interview. Using my webcam I had to provide responses to 5 preset questions which were recorded and sent to the team conducting the interviews. All candidates would receive the 5 same questions. I was given 3 days to complete this task. The instructions for this section weren't exactly clear so I didn't know what to expect before I started. Could I re-record answers? I couldn't. How much time I'd have to answer each question? About 2 1/2 minutes. Could I pause between questions or was it one recorded response covering all 5 questions? Turns out I could stop between each question for as long as needed. Once I clicked the next question I had 30 seconds to read it and 2 1/2 minutes to respond.

A week after the on-line interview I was contacted for in-person interviews. I received the e-mail late on Friday and was expected to be available that coming Tuesday. Took some re-arranging but I was able to make it work. I met with the same HR person I spoke to on the phone, the hiring manager and one of their peers. The interview questions were all fairly typical (strengths, why this role, etc..).

I thought the interviews went quite well, but I never heard from the company again. I sent thank you letters the next day and reached out to HR via e-mail 2 weeks after the interviews, but never received a response. I can accept not receiving an offer, but somewhat offended they couldn't send the boilerplate "sorry, but we've decided to go in another direction" notification. I saw another interview wrote about a similar experience, so I guess it's not just me.

I did learn they were interviewing internal and external candidates for the role. They seemed somewhat conflicted with hiring internal vs external. Throughout the interview they mentioned the need to bringing new talent as they had an aging population with many expected to retire soon. But the hiring manager also slipped and commented on how much extra effort it took to bring someone into their organization. He seemed somewhat annoyed by the prospect.

Marketing Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CertainTeed in May 2016.

Interview

First step was a video interview which required me to record answers to 5 questions via webcam and then submit the recording. You have 30 seconds to look at each question and 2:30 to answer, and you can do it all a second time before submitting.

A few days later I was selected for in-person interviews -- 4 one-on-one interviews, about 45 minutes each, in one day.

Interviewers #1 and #2 had a couple difficult questions but were friendly, and I thought the interview went well up to that point. Then came Interviewer #3...

Interviewer #3 started off difficult and became openly aggressive and confrontational -- it seemed like she was determined to make sure I didn't get this job and that she resented the fact she had to take 45 minutes out of her very, very important day to talk to me. Her first question was along the lines of "look at this job description and tell me what is necessary to perform this job," which is something the interviewee, if anyone, should ask, not the interviewer, and her subsequent questions basically required me to have a detailed plan for the next 10 years of my career; if I had that planned out already I probably wouldn't be interviewing for a new job in the first place. She didn't like my not-overly-specific answers and became persistent and dismissive, and she gave a hostile response to a completely appropriate question I asked her about the position. As a final insult, she did not even attempt to shake my hand when leaving the room.

I learned a week or two later that I had not received the offer, which did not come as a surprise, but if I had I may have been hesitant to take it and face the prospect of working with Interviewer #3. I am sure she is not representative of all people in this very large company, but after this experience I would recommend being cautious about entering their process if you are applying for corporate jobs.

Interview Questions

• What skills do you need to develop to achieve your career goals?   Answer Question

SAP Applications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CertainTeed (Malvern, PA) in March 2016.

Interview

They interviewed over phone and then call me on site for 2 hr interview with 4 people . No response on interview results even after 2 months . No feedback from HR after repeated contacts

Sales Administrative Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at CertainTeed.

Interview

phone interview, disc assessment and 3 hour interview with 5 different people. same amount of focus on interviews for entry level as with management positions. The whole process took approximately 4 weeks from initial contact.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a situation that didn't have a clear objective?   Answer Question

Process Engineering Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, KS

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CertainTeed (Kansas City, KS) in November 2014.

Interview

First met with the HR team from two plants at my university for a meet and greet style interview. Was asked for a phone interview from both directly afterwards by e-mail. After each phone interview, I was asking to come to each plant for an on site your and interview. Kansas City tour was scheduled a week before the other. Finished the Kansas City Tour and revieced and offer the next morning to which I accepted.

Interview Questions

• How does will your previous experience help you in this role?   Answer Question

Territory Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at CertainTeed (Atlanta, GA) in July 2014.

Interview

Somewhat lengthy interview process, multiple phone conversations with hiring manager as their boss as well as the HR manager. Job hiring process also included 2 face to face interviews. It was very much like the typical interviewing process which includes questions about past work experience, what you seek from the job you are interviewing for, career goals, feelings about travel, situational questions in relation to the job. Also had to go through a personality assessment which was nothing to really worry about....unless you are crazy.

Interview Questions

• How did you react when a customer was not open to hearing what you were trying to pitch them?

What are your strengths and weaknesses?

How would you react if.....?

What are your long term career goals?
      Answer Question

Plant Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at CertainTeed.

Interview

Phone interview by hiring manager, face to face with HR and hiring manager and then final interviews with multiple higher level people.

Interview Questions

• Nothing outside of the ordinary - BB questions   1 Answer

Negotiation

Extra week of vacation

Electrical Engineering Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwood, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at CertainTeed (Norwood, MA) in November 2013.

Interview

Talked to engineering nanager, HR rep, and plant manager in one day. Answered all of their questions and was given a tour of the plant by the maintenance manager, then another tour of their PLC equipment by the engineering manager.

Interview Questions

• The usual questions: how do you manage stress, what do you see yourself doing in 5 years, salary questions, etc   Answer Question