CertainTeed Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at CertainTeed

2.7

Inspector/Packer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chowchilla, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at CertainTeed (Chowchilla, CA) in December 2018.

Interview

Easy basic questions and told to wait for a call back. Seemed very intrested in me. But seem very laud back company. Asked if i was available for work. If i was trustworthy and not call in.

Interview Questions

• Am i eligible to work in the u.s.   2 Answers

Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CertainTeed (Malvern, PA).

Interview

I applied for a Marketing Specialist role. Someone reached out to me to do a video interview, which I can imagine turns away some good potential employees. It wasn't your typical video interview but one where you had 30 seconds to look at a question and only a minute or two to elaborate. Each question was recorded.

I then got invited to an in-person interview which lasted half a day. Majority of the women I met with were amazing and really knew their stuff; in my opinion, they would have been great to work for. However, the last woman who interviewed me seemed to expect me to have my entire career path laid out and told me as soon as she walked in that "if you didn't look at the company website, i'll tell you to leave now."

I sent several follow up emails but never heard back. Zip, nada, nothing. In my opinion, if someone makes it to a finalist round and has to take the time off of work to come in, at a minimum send a form rejection email. It is plain rude to ghost an individual and shows a lot about a company and how they value their employees.

Interview Questions

• What is your career path 10 years from now and what can go wrong?   Answer Question

Maintenance Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilmington, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at CertainTeed (Wilmington, CA) in September 2018.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me looking for a qualified Maintenance Manager candidate. Afterward, a member of the company's staffing / HR department reached out to me and gave me a brief screening call. Next I was set up with a phone interview with a regional Engineer / Reliability Manager. Lastly, I was set up with an in-person panel interview. The plant location was an immediate negative. Just outside the gated office area is a homeless encampment. The shabby lobby has multiple security cameras, stained ceiling tiles, old faded paint and shabby furniture. A receptionist sits behind a small security window. During the panel interview, where the interviewers and Plant Manager were asking if I was willing to work 24x7 I wanted to tell them that there are better places to work! You can have a job AND a life! Why are you still here? It's sad really that they have completely drunk the cool-aid. It was also a complete waste of my time. Why didn't the requirement to work 24x7 ever come up with the recruiter, the HR screener or the regional Engineer?

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to work 6-7 days a week, every weekend and sometimes, only sometimes, take a day off during the week?   1 Answer

Systems Specialist Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at CertainTeed.

Interview

Went through 3 interviews. One hr, one with hiring manager and final with 4 executives on a panel. Was told by third executive the position has been put on hold and basically wasted my time. No one called to inform me the position has been put on hold due to internal issues on what they wanted from a candidate. Also third executive came in 25 minutes late. Not professional at all.

Architectural Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Valley Forge, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at CertainTeed (Valley Forge, PA) in May 2009.

Interview

I received a phone call from a very nice person at CertainTeed headquarters in Valley Forge, PA. She talked to me about my background, my expectations of this job, etc. She also gave me a very good idea of what the hiring process was. After a couple of weeks, the same person called to set up a face-to-face interview with the area manager.
    I met the regional manager in the lobby of an area hotel. He was running a little late. Once we started talking, he asked about my experience selling to area architects. He also asked me in-depth about my current job duties. He explained very completely what the duties of this job entailed and explained that the final 3 people who were being considered would be flown to Valley Forge headquarters for an interview there. He also was very clear on the time line of filling the job.
    I did not hear from them about whether I was one of the 3 finalists. I finally phoned my initial contact in HR and found out that I was not among them.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your experience influencing architects and contractors to buy your product.   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CertainTeed.

Interview

I never even had a phone screening process, I simply received an email requesting me my presence for an in person interview. The communication with the interviewer was very unprofessional, his grammar and writing style left me very unimpressed.

Specifically - when I responded via email to the interviewer confirming my interest in proceeding with an in-person interview, I received an auto-reply stating he would be out of the office until May. My email was sent to him in December, which means he's had an auto-reply out of office active for well over half a year!

Lastly, as stated above I applied and completed my interview in December. It is now 60+ days after the fact and I have not been informed of my status or if the position was even filled. I have attempted to contact the HR rep who handled the interview and I never received a response back.

I guess it's safe to assume I didn't get the job which is fine, but the complete lack of professionalism from a company like this absolutely blew me away and left me disgusted.

Interview Questions

• General interview questions, nothing out of the ordinary   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

Interview

Applied to position through company web site. After a few weeks I was contacted by a gentleman in HR for a short phone interview who also didn't know specifics on the position (based on other reviews I've read prior to mine). We agreed on a specific day and time for a scheduled call but he never called on that day and no email was sent to explain why he didn't do the call until two days later when I reached out to him first. Call is completed then week and a half goes by without any follow-up or response on next steps. After that I reach out again to inquire about next steps and no response - then week or so later I receive an email to ask if I am available for in person interview. I comply, interview with 4 people in Malvern office, send all my thank you emails the next day and don't hear back from anyone! I mean really, 4 face interviews and not even the courtesy to send a short email response? Then few weeks go by and I receive email from HR guy saying everyone was interested in me and can I come in for one more face interview - then same scenario takes place, do the interview, send follow up thank you email and no responses from HR or the interviewer. Finally receive email from HR week or so later that they are interested and will get back to me. Very long and ridiculous story short, now almost 3 weeks go by without any response after I left a phone/email message. If this is how they treat candidates that they like how do they really treat employees? I know large companies tend to have a longer HR process but this seems excessive and quite unprofessional to leave people hanging in this manner. A short concise email with a brief update only takes a minute to send out - no one is that busy.

Interview Questions

• Typical situational interview questions - nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Senior Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at CertainTeed (Seattle, WA) in October 2012.

Interview

Started with four phone interviews - HR, Manager, Subject Matter Expert, and Plant Manager. Group style interviews followed with two separate groups at the facility. Interview process was very slow relative to other companies and the comming to an offer equally slow.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in CertainTeed?
      What experience do you have with WCM, Kaizens, and other TPM tools?
      Can you live within 20 mins of the Plant?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Simple. They met my expectations easily.

Electrical Engineering Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwood, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at CertainTeed (Norwood, MA) in November 2013.

Interview

Talked to engineering nanager, HR rep, and plant manager in one day. Answered all of their questions and was given a tour of the plant by the maintenance manager, then another tour of their PLC equipment by the engineering manager.

Interview Questions

• The usual questions: how do you manage stress, what do you see yourself doing in 5 years, salary questions, etc   Answer Question

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at CertainTeed (Malvern, PA) in May 2016.

Interview

I applied on-line and within a few weeks was contacted to set-up a phone screen with HR which occurred a few days later. HR was very helpful giving background on the company and position, but couldn't answer detailed questions about the role. The discussion was intended to give me an outline of the next steps in the process.

A few days later I received an e-mail w/ instructions to complete an on-line interview. Using my webcam I had to provide responses to 5 preset questions which were recorded and sent to the team conducting the interviews. All candidates would receive the 5 same questions. I was given 3 days to complete this task. The instructions for this section weren't exactly clear so I didn't know what to expect before I started. Could I re-record answers? I couldn't. How much time I'd have to answer each question? About 2 1/2 minutes. Could I pause between questions or was it one recorded response covering all 5 questions? Turns out I could stop between each question for as long as needed. Once I clicked the next question I had 30 seconds to read it and 2 1/2 minutes to respond.

A week after the on-line interview I was contacted for in-person interviews. I received the e-mail late on Friday and was expected to be available that coming Tuesday. Took some re-arranging but I was able to make it work. I met with the same HR person I spoke to on the phone, the hiring manager and one of their peers. The interview questions were all fairly typical (strengths, why this role, etc..).

I thought the interviews went quite well, but I never heard from the company again. I sent thank you letters the next day and reached out to HR via e-mail 2 weeks after the interviews, but never received a response. I can accept not receiving an offer, but somewhat offended they couldn't send the boilerplate "sorry, but we've decided to go in another direction" notification. I saw another interview wrote about a similar experience, so I guess it's not just me.

I did learn they were interviewing internal and external candidates for the role. They seemed somewhat conflicted with hiring internal vs external. Throughout the interview they mentioned the need to bringing new talent as they had an aging population with many expected to retire soon. But the hiring manager also slipped and commented on how much extra effort it took to bring someone into their organization. He seemed somewhat annoyed by the prospect.