Cover image for Ciena

Engaged Employer

Add an Interview

Ciena Interview Questions

Updated Nov 28, 2022

To filter interviews, or .
Found 347 of over 347 interviews

Employee Referral16%
2.9
HardAverageEasy

Ciena

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week. I interviewed at Ciena

Interview

recruiter from their company reached out wanting to see if I had an interest in the role. I kindly asked what the base and OTE looked like. They would not disclose this even though I politely asked them a few times I wanted to know upfront. They wanted me to fill out an online application etc. I was not interested in jumping through hoops and wasting my time if they couldn't even give me a range of pay. RED FLAG. Avoided.

Interview Questions
  • tell me about your current role
    Answer Question

Ciena

Application

I interviewed at Ciena

Interview

Got contacted by recruiter who asked why I'm switching jobs, if I'm applying anywhere else and why I'm applying to ciena. Then interview with hiring manager who told me about the role and went over my resume. He said next interview would be technical. Then got contacted by recruiter again asking if I'm still interested and she booked a second interview. Second Interview was 3 guys asking about my past experiences, and asking questions based on the work I had done. Then contacted by recruiter again to see how I feel if I'm still interested.

Interview Questions
  • Interviewed for a junior role, the questions were all based on work I had done previously. Nothing too technical or detailed. Questions like: Tell me about a difficult project you worked on, What do u do when you are stuck on a task?

Ciena

Application

I interviewed at Ciena

Interview

Very smooth and very nice people who try not to stress you too much. They called and an hour later I already had an answer. Usually conducted by a manager and another team member. Mostly theoretical questions.

Interview Questions
  • Describe what happens when you turn on your computer.

Ciena

Application

I interviewed at Ciena

Interview

2 rounds interviews with 1 hiring manager first round 2 hiring managers second round, asked about resumes mainly and my previous work experiences to gauge aptitude as they put it.

Interview Questions
  • Explain the projects and work experiences you have on your resume.

Ciena

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ciena

Interview

Interview was focused on networking concepts and data structures and even c programming. It was pretty fine if one has prepared well for the interview. The manager was interactive and friendly.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 week. I interviewed at Ciena (Ottawa, ON) in Oct 2022

Interview

3 technical rounds for me as a university new grad: 1. 1.5 hours PM ask about resume + generic coding knowledge + C specific knowledge (data structure, debug, algorithms, concurrency, TCP/IP, polymorphism...) 2. 2 hours of online coding assessments Codility, 3 questions. 1.1 debug a function (just think about if else is correct not even a need to consider overflow/thread-safe/error handling...) 1.2 string parse then hash map put then analyze 1.3 if else to recognize a pattern 3. 1.5 hours of google meeting coding with 5 people then behavior questions. (1 question to reverse token in a string like I.love.U to U.love. Then go through my resume again 5 guys each one asks a question, then the team lead asks behavior questions)

Interview Questions
  • struct A{ int a; double b; char c; char* d; int* e; } sizeof(A) == ?

Ciena

Application

I interviewed at Ciena

Interview

Interview process was straightforward and very clear. Overall it was quick and everyone was very welcoming and friendly during each interview. I felt very informed at each point. I also appreciated each interviewer taking the time to answer questions.

Interview Questions
  • What is an example of an issue you’ve dealt with in the past

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Ciena (London, England)

Interview

Good way of sharing the job profile and company working culture and its products and future prospect with the company in the next few years. It was very helpful to ascertain the company and its products

1 person found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Ciena (Ottawa, ON) in Oct 2022

Interview

I was told to have a 30-min phone calls. The interviewer is polite and friendly. He introduced to me what Ciena do and what skills he was looking for from a candidate. It’s my problem that thought it was only a BQ interviews or discussion of my previous experience so I didn’t prepare any for the Basic definition of the C language, I know that’s only the basic definitions. Some questions I even knew the answers but I was kind of lost and couldn’t answer it well. I recently had interview with Java and I perfectly answered them well. So It’s just I didn’t prepare to answer such questions…My advise is GET PREPARED!

Interview Questions
  • What data types do C has? What’s the difference between static and global variables? How do we store static variables? What are the ways we call variables from a method? What is the differences of them? etc.

Ciena

Application

I interviewed at Ciena

Interview

The interview process was like a normal conversation and you got to know more about what the company does. The behavioral questions can be answered through your own experiences. This position involves a lot of c programming work.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 347 Interviews

Ciena Interviews FAQs

Glassdoor users rated their interview experience at Ciena as 71.0% positive with a difficulty rating score of 2.90 out of 5 (where 5 is the highest level of difficulty). Candidates interviewing for Senior Software Engineer and Senior Analyst rated their interviews as the hardest, whereas interviews for Embedded Software Engineer and Software Engineer roles were rated as the easiest.

The hiring process at Ciena takes an average of 37 days when considering 138 user submitted interviews across all job titles. Candidates applying for Senior Software Engineer had the quickest hiring process (on average 5 days), whereas IT Applications Analyst roles had the slowest hiring process (on average 63 days).

Common stages of the interview process at Ciena according to 138 Glassdoor interviews include:

Phone Interview: 26.60%