Ciena Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Ciena

2.9

Sort:
  1. Featured Interview

Interview

Fair and friendly process.
    You would get a pre-screening phone call, and if invited to face2face interview, be ready for panel and 1-on-1 interviews.
    It took a while to wrap-up the offer process, but it turns out well at the end.

Interview Questions

• Know your craft and be ready to answer fundamentals and "use case scenarios" type of questions.   Answer Question

Associate Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Ciena.

Interview

I was contacted by a company recruiter about 3 weeks after applying online. I got through the initial phone interview (to which the recruiter was over an hour late) in about 15 minutes. There were nothing but questions about my resume. I came at this experienced but from another field of telecom. This was an entry-level position, a point emphasized over and over. I was a few years out of college of course.

My motivation was that I saw this as a way of getting into another field of telecom since I was not satisfied with my current industry.

The salary was abysmal. It was mid 50s with potential sales bonus (since this is a pre-sales job). I initially asked for much more before being told what they were willing to offer. I have pre-sales experience so the only training, I would think, would be learning Ciena's product catalog. Seemed like the pay was non-negotiable. It was less than my current job's salary.

From the conversation, promotions seems to based on seniority not merit.

The salary and promotions policy alone made this whole deal unattractive, but I let the recruiter push my resume forward anyway.

The hiring manager did not want a follow-up interview, so my candidacy was rejected.

Given my original concerns, I didn't give the rejection a second thought.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ciena (Alpharetta, GA) in January 2012.

Interview

Submitted online and was called after a wk. Interview was setup next week. Asked questions about linked list(addition, race condition) and then breadth first traversal couldn't get it fully then went through the other interviewers and then didn't get offer.

Interview Questions

• Do breadth first traversal of BST   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Ciena (Alpharetta, GA) in September 2011.

Interview

Applied Online, Phone screen followed by 5 round in-person interview

Interview Questions

• virtual destructors
      c++ inheritance
      singleton class
      pipe
      semaphore
      mutex
      strlen

call by value, call by reference
      break continue
      pure virtual functions
      virtual base class
      linked list - add a node
      hashes   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Ciena.

Interview

Put in application, contacted by interested managers for a very basic screening over the phone within the next 2 days. Scheduled an in-person interview, which took about 4 hours. Interviews are with several other managers and a few senior engineers, mostly oriented around basic technical skills and the normal interview "getting to know you" type stuff.

Negotiation

Phone offer from HR at a different location. Negotiation was tough, wasn't able to get anything.

Anonymous Employee in City of Spokane Valley, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Ciena (City of Spokane Valley, WA) in September 2010.

Interview

Started of over the phone with a discussion with the manager of the team i was interviewing for.
    Was called over a few weeks later for an onsite interview. Asked a few basic java concepts, Linked List implementation, DB concepts and was grilled on Operating systems

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation done from my side.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ciena.

Interview

The interview process is unprofessional I think. They booked the flight for my onsite, the round trip and interview were in one day. I don't have time for the lunch during the whole interview day.
    After the interview, they didn't give me any response to tell me I was rejected or not.
    Months later, I suddenly receive offer from them. But after that, no response any more, even I emailed them to ask about this. And several weeks later, I was told that the they consider other candidates and the offer does not count.....

Interview Questions

• background skills, projects you have been working on. The technique questions related with the role   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ciena in February 2015.

Interview

phone screening, total 5 technical rounds among them they are testing personal skill as well and one of the good thing is interviewer attitude will put you in comfortable zone

Interview Questions

• networking questions, OS concepts and programming skills in c data structures   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Ciena (San Jose, CA).

Interview

One phone screen and three 45 minute interviews on-site. The process was a bit longer than I expected (about 6 weeks for the interviews) but that is not typical (3-4 weeks). The offer can take a bit more time (2-3 weeks after the on-site interview).

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ciena (San Jose, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

1st round of interview was with HR. Next was with the manager, where basics of OS and Networks was tested. Later, 3 rounds of interview with team members, which was focused of coding and memory allocation. Nothing out of the box. It was simple.

Interview Questions

• Linked lists, Trees, OS, Networks, memory allocation   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Ciena (Atlanta, GA) in July 2015.

Interview

It was quite simple and nice really. I was asked about my experience (I already had two internships before this), and what I did/know. Then I was told what they do and how things will be. I was mostly concerned about if I'll learn from them and I did.

Interview Questions

• Describe what you know and have done in your other internships   Answer Question