City Year Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 21, 2017

2.9

AmeriCorps Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at City Year (Washington, DC) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied for the position through Metrolink (Cover Letter and Resume), was selected for an interview, then was asked to fill out the online application. There were two people interviewing me and the questions mostly revolved around my experience working with children and my desire to work with City Year.

Interview Questions

• How do you plan on bridging the gap between yourself, coming from a more privileged socio-economic background, and the children you will be working with?   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at City Year (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

It was a very easy simple interview process. The whole application process took about 3 months, consisting of a simple online application and an interview. The interview was very straightforward and not overwhelming at all and the lady that interview me was very sweet and easy to talk to, which was nice because it eased my nerves. She asked about 15 questions (all very similar to the ones on here). To prepare I went through all these questions and felt totally prepared.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time you worked in a group. How did you grow from this experience? What would you have done differently   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at City Year (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

Straight forward interview (2 questions and 2 recommenders required). Phone interview is also pretty straight forward - around 1 hour and majority of questions are already on here. Go through all of these in preparation and research the company as a whole.

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at City Year.

Interview

I had an interview with organization. In fact, I was interviewed twice for the same position. Both interviews went well. However I was not a perfect fit for the organzation at that time. the only feedback I would like to give is that they should call an applicant to tell them if they were hired or not. Every time I called to inquire, no one returned my call. I was shocked how unprofessional the organization was.

City Year Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at City Year (Washington, DC) in November 2016.

Interview

It was an online application which was very straight forward. It had 2 essay questions (why do you want to join City Year and how would City Year help you achieve your personal goals). You also need 2 references. After submitting, the next day I was informed that I was selected for an interview. I had the interview the next week. Interview process was pretty simple. It was an in-person interview which lasted about 45 min. The person I had scheduled my interview with did not actually interview me (another person from city Year did which kind of threw me off). The interviewer explained how she would read the questions off of her laptop and type out all my answers. The questions were mostly behavioral questions (this page really helped). Following the questions, the interviewer asked if I had any questions for her. Make sure you do your research on City Year.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about City Year?   Answer Question
    • What excites you?   Answer Question
    • What makes you nervous?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you dealt with team conflict. How did you resolve it and what was the outcome?   Answer Question
    • What aspects of your identity would help you relate to students?   Answer Question
    • What aspects of your identity might City Year challenge?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you worked really hard for something. What was the outcome?   Answer Question
    • Case study question about a child who needed to complete an assignment by Friday but has not been participating in class and has been acting out. Basically asked how would you deal with the issue.   Answer Question
    • Anything else you would like City Year to know about you?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at City Year in November 2016.

Interview

I applied through the fairly straightforward online application, and was given a link to pick a time for a Skype interview the following week. The interview itself was a bit strange, in that my interviewer was in a very busy location and she seemed slightly disinterested in the whole process. She read predetermined questions to me and that's all it was.

Interview Questions

• Give me one example of a time you resolved a conflict.   Answer Question

Career Services Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at City Year in November 2016.

Interview

The process took super long, 2+months. It was 1 phone screening and 2 in-person interviews, and each process took about 4+ week to hear back and schedule. The organization also didn't give a clear idea on the application process at all.

Interview Questions

• - go through the resume and describe highs and lows for each job   Answer Question

City Year Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at City Year (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

The entire application process was simple. Once the application was turned in, I got the email letting me know that I was selected for the interview. The interview is pretty straightforward--they ask you questions about yourself and then situational questions. The recruiter was extremely kind and considerate. She was taking notes while I talked. All around great experience.

Interview Questions

• How did you handle a team conflict?
      Why are you interested in City Year and not Teach for America?
      Answer Question

AmeriCorps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at City Year.

Interview

A very simple interview process that was either over the phone or in person, depending on your location to their general offices. They ask questions for about 20 to 30 minutes, and then give you to the opportunity to ask questions yourself. A decision on your acceptance is reached within a week.

Interview Questions

• Explain a difficulty you had with a colleague or personal experience and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question

Impace Coach Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at City Year (New York, NY).

Interview

It took almost four months to get through the entire process. It was painful throughout and usually wouldn't post on a site like this but it's because I would like to warn others. HR was fine even nice but it was a deceptive and tedious process. I had to produce a video which took a day and a half. They changed the title of the role during the four month process. I've never in my life had that happen before. They need to get their act together. It's embarrassing and many red signs were given so in many ways glad I was not offered a position. I wish the org the bes

Interview Questions

• What are your greatest strengths and weaknesses?   1 Answer