City Year Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 10, 2017

2.9

Foundation Relations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at City Year (Washington, DC) in October 2017.

Interview

It was via phone and was a screen for the more senior manager to interview me. The person who interviewed me was acting as an interim for the Director to whom this position would report.

Interview Questions

• Can you review your experience working with foundations and why you think that qualifies you to apply for this position?   1 Answer

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at City Year.

Interview

The interview is a long one. It took probably about half an hour. You really should prepare for this one. She types down your answers onto a laptop. The questions are typical ones, like what makes you fit for the role, unfit, etc.

Interview Questions

• What about your personality do you think would make you struggle in this position?   Answer Question
    • What professional experiences have you had before where you had to work as a team to solve an issue?   Answer Question

Recruiting Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at City Year.

Interview

This was a phone interview that was concise, as the interviewer was interested in beginning the conversation with clarity around the position. Because of that clarity, we were able to determine that due to my salary needs, it wouldn't be beneficial for us to continue our conversation. As a job applicant, I really appreciated this concise and thoughtful clarity!

Evaluation Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at City Year.

Interview

I had a phone interview with the hiring manager, then an in person interview with a panel of other staff members, not including the hiring manager. They gave me the questions ahead of time, so I could prepare. I did not get an offer, and did not receive any feedback. Later I emailed the hiring manager and others who interviewed me because I was interested in a different job at the company, and none of them ever responded. Very rude and unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to talk about my implicit biases related to race. It is an important topic, but they handled it with no sensitivity. The interviewers didn't offer to talk about the implicit bias training they had gone through, reveal any of their own implicit biases, nothing. They just wanted me to tell them how I was racist.   1 Answer

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at City Year (Seattle, WA) in June 2017.

Interview

I had three interviews. The first was a half hour phone call. I was offered a second interview the day after. I then had a second interview with the Program Director and a Program Manager. My third interview was with six Impact Team members. I was told on my last interview that I would hear back from the team Monday and would be asked for references that same day. I didn't receive either of these. After a month of investing into this interview process, I wasn't even given the decency of a response after my final interview. I had to guess that I didn't get the job. I was also never asked for my references. Lastly, I was never even told the salary range, and on the final interview, the Program Director didn't offer time to talk about the pay or benefits. The beginning of this interview process started professional, but after that sloppy ending, I'm glad I dodged the bullet on this disorganized organization.

AmeriCorps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at City Year.

Interview

After applying online before the deadline, I received an email inviting me for an interview. Luckily, the recruiter was doing interviews on my university campus so I just signed up for a time and came in for the interview. I was very nervous but the recruiter was extremely understanding and nice, which I appreciated greatly.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to join City Year?   Answer Question
    • There was a case study, about a student not performing well academically when there's an important upcoming test soon, and how would you help in that situation?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at City Year.

Interview

After applying online, I was offered the chance to interview over the phone or over Skype. I chose to interview over the phone. The interview was about 45 minutes long in total, and comprised of a series of questions, a combination of relatively standard interview questions and scenarios that they want you to talk through as if you were a corps member.

Interview Questions

• What is City Year?   Answer Question
    • What are your greatest strengths and weakness, and how will they impact your service?   Answer Question
    • What aspects of your identity will be challenged by City Year?   Answer Question
    • Tell of a time that you dealt with a team conflict. What was the outcome?   Answer Question

Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at City Year.

Interview

Submitted application through City Year's internal portal. Was interviewed by Executive Director and Managing Director of Impact. Got the offer about two weeks later. Process was seamless and well-handled by Admissions Director.

Impact Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at City Year in April 2017.

Interview

We (those getting interviewed) had group presentations introducing ourselves and our alignment to City Year values. Later we were interviewed one by one, with questions asking about our qualifications, our experiences, why we were drawn to this organization, and scenario questions to ask how we would handle difficult situations.
    Once we moved forward, we had a second interview with more in-depth questions

Interview Questions

• How can this position help you reach your desired career?   Answer Question

Impact Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at City Year (Miami, FL) in April 2017.

Interview

Two weeks after I applied online, I received an e-mail asking me to set up an appointment on Doodle and did so. I sent an e-mail with a question beforehand and did not receive a response. On the day of the interview, the interviewer called almost 20 minutes late. The phone screening was short and standard. After the interview, I sent a few follow-up e-mails a few weeks apart from each other and no one bothered to respond to a single one. Sad that an organization that does such good work treats applicants so poorly. Don't waste your time applying.

Interview Questions

• What excites you about City Year and about this position?   Answer Question