City Year Interview Questions | Glassdoor

City Year Interview Questions

Updated Jun 20, 2017

2.9

Evaluation Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at City Year.

Interview

I had a phone interview with the hiring manager, then an in person interview with a panel of other staff members, not including the hiring manager. They gave me the questions ahead of time, so I could prepare. I did not get an offer, and did not receive any feedback. Later I emailed the hiring manager and others who interviewed me because I was interested in a different job at the company, and none of them ever responded. Very rude and unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to talk about my implicit biases related to race. It is an important topic, but they handled it with no sensitivity. The interviewers didn't offer to talk about the implicit bias training they had gone through, reveal any of their own implicit biases, nothing. They just wanted me to tell them how I was racist.   1 Answer

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at City Year (Seattle, WA) in June 2017.

Interview

I had three interviews. The first was a half hour phone call. I was offered a second interview the day after. I then had a second interview with the Program Director and a Program Manager. My third interview was with six Impact Team members. I was told on my last interview that I would hear back from the team Monday and would be asked for references that same day. I didn't receive either of these. After a month of investing into this interview process, I wasn't even given the decency of a response after my final interview. I had to guess that I didn't get the job. I was also never asked for my references. Lastly, I was never even told the salary range, and on the final interview, the Program Director didn't offer time to talk about the pay or benefits. The beginning of this interview process started professional, but after that sloppy ending, I'm glad I dodged the bullet on this disorganized organization.

AmeriCorps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at City Year.

Interview

After applying online before the deadline, I received an email inviting me for an interview. Luckily, the recruiter was doing interviews on my university campus so I just signed up for a time and came in for the interview. I was very nervous but the recruiter was extremely understanding and nice, which I appreciated greatly.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to join City Year?   Answer Question
    • There was a case study, about a student not performing well academically when there's an important upcoming test soon, and how would you help in that situation?   Answer Question

Service Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at City Year.

Interview

After applying online, I was offered the chance to interview over the phone or over Skype. I chose to interview over the phone. The interview was about 45 minutes long in total, and comprised of a series of questions, a combination of relatively standard interview questions and scenarios that they want you to talk through as if you were a corps member.

Interview Questions

• What is City Year?   Answer Question
    • What are your greatest strengths and weakness, and how will they impact your service?   Answer Question
    • What aspects of your identity will be challenged by City Year?   Answer Question
    • Tell of a time that you dealt with a team conflict. What was the outcome?   Answer Question

Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at City Year.

Interview

Submitted application through City Year's internal portal. Was interviewed by Executive Director and Managing Director of Impact. Got the offer about two weeks later. Process was seamless and well-handled by Admissions Director.

Impact Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at City Year in April 2017.

Interview

We (those getting interviewed) had group presentations introducing ourselves and our alignment to City Year values. Later we were interviewed one by one, with questions asking about our qualifications, our experiences, why we were drawn to this organization, and scenario questions to ask how we would handle difficult situations.
    Once we moved forward, we had a second interview with more in-depth questions

Interview Questions

• How can this position help you reach your desired career?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at City Year (Miami, FL) in April 2017.

Interview

Two weeks after I applied online, I received an e-mail asking me to set up an appointment on Doodle and did so. I sent an e-mail with a question beforehand and did not receive a response. On the day of the interview, the interviewer called almost 20 minutes late. The phone screening was short and standard. After the interview, I sent a few follow-up e-mails a few weeks apart from each other and no one bothered to respond to a single one. Sad that an organization that does such good work treats applicants so poorly. Don't waste your time applying.

Interview Questions

• What excites you about City Year and about this position?   Answer Question

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at City Year.

Interview

Questions about working together, and education interest, how you have assisted in projects before. Very direct in their questions. Very good experience overall. Opportunity for skype, in-person interviews. What does City Year mean to you.

Interview Questions

• What is the longest commitment you've made?   1 Answer

Impact Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at City Year.

Interview

I was extremely disappointed when interviewing for an impact manager position in Texas. I was asked for my references and promised a phone call or email within two weeks with future steps, yet never received any further communication. I have always respected City Year as an AmeriCorps Alum and this was disheartening.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to explain my employment history in extreme detail.   Answer Question

Recruiting Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at City Year.

Interview

I found the job posting on LinkedIn and applied directly on the City Year website. I received notification that I was selected to start the interview process approximately two weeks after I submitted my application. The first step in the interview was a 35-minute phone screening. The second stage consisted of four 30-minute interviews with a variety of employees.

Interview Questions

• What does customer service mean to you?   Answer Question
    • What would your previous boss say your strengths and weaknesses are?   Answer Question
    • Explain a time you've had to handle conflict with a colleague.   Answer Question