Denver Mattress Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 15, 2017

2.9

1. Featured Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lone Tree, CO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Denver Mattress (Lone Tree, CO).

Interview

Was interviewed by phone, in person by an assistant manager, by a store manager, and then finally by a district manager. They went into a level of detail that I was not expecting. Once I was hired it became obvious the company is always looking for the "right" person rather than just someone who might be able to do the job. I was very impressed that they also seem to be making sure that the company had what *you* were looking for.

Interview Questions

• What was the best/worst part of working for ____?   1 Answer

Jun 26, 2017 – Regional Sales Director - West Region

Thank you for the review and we look forward to your success with us.

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Denver Mattress in July 2017.

Interview

3 interviews, useless probing questions that are intrusive to your personal life. This is not assistant manager position. Everyone but the manager is an assistant manager in training. Insulting to a REAL manager seeking employment. Basically, they want an oversized salesforce to vulture down on the customers that trinkle in. Reminded me of a auto dealership. The best will stay. The best will be offered a manager position that may be in another city or state. Or will be in a small store where sales are less frequent due to customer volume. Pay is too minimal in training. Top sellers (that have no intentions of being a manager or moving), will be your competition on the sales floor.

Interview Questions

• Did you and your father get along?   1 Answer
    • How was your relationship with your mom?   1 Answer
    • Did you and your sibling(s) get along well?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint George, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Denver Mattress (Saint George, UT).

Interview

Three total interviews. First interview of 45 minutes by the assistant manager. Second interview by the manager for about 1 hour 30 minutes. Third interview by the District Manager for nearly 4 hours. Honestly it was a lot of time committed for a subpar type of sales job.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your life, starting with your family.   Answer Question
    • Who are the three people that have had the most influence on you as a person?   Answer Question

Jun 26, 2017 – Regional Sales Director - West Region

Thank you for your review, but I think your attitude of this position may have influenced our decision not to offer you a position. Believing that it is a subpar sales job is not really looking at... More

Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Denver Mattress in April 2017.

Interview

I received a call to schedule an interview after applying online, this was around the 24th April. I went to the interview, smartly dressed after applying online for both the warehouse and sales position as I had work experience in both roles.

After interviewing firstly with the the store manager, in which numerous personal questions are asked to get to know you, some of which I found slightly strange to be asked at an interview for a job such as "what is your relationship like with your mother?". I politely answered all questions asked of me and the interview went on for just short of 90 minutes. It was fairly relaxed and the conversation was easy to make, all in all - it felt promising. This store manager then confirmed that he also thought it went well, and would like me to meet with the assistant manager later on in the week. Scheduled the date in my calendar and looked forward to another interview with Denver Mattress after coming to Glassdoor and seeing and overwhelming response of positive reviews from past and current employers, the opportunity seemed great! Friday came round and the same interview process that was undertook earlier in the week was again relayed with the assistant manager... Personal questions to get to know the candidate, general chat and holding conversation with one another. The assistant manager then went on to tell me "the manager must have liked you, this is why your getting the opportunity to speak with me now" - I thought well my luck is in, this is going really well! We concluded the interview with him explaining to me he was going to put me forward as soon as possible onto the regional/district manager as I was "a very strong candidate" and that "I would do really well within Denver Mattress".

At the beginning of the following week, I received a call to explain that the district manager lived out of state and they were trying there best to schedule me in to see him, as nobody gets hired without sitting down with them. During this conversation, the relevant manager told me they had stopped looking for other candidates for the same position I was applying for an i quote "Had no competition as it stands" and they where continuing to interview candidates for the warehouse position only. After a few back and forth calls, they called to inform me the district manager was available May 17th for certain in my area, but If i wanted to get the process moving a long quicker, I could drive 60 miles to meet him as he was at another branch location - which I agreed instantly as everything so far had been so positive I couldn't wait to continue the employment process.

On the day of leaving to see the district manager, I received a call to say they had to reschedule and that I would then have to wait for another date to speak with this person - to then after getting changed out of my suit etc to be called back and told "He actually will be able to see you" to which I rushed and got back ready and set off on the hour drive.

The sit down with the district manager involved filling in forms about criminal history, bankruptcy and other things along the line of drug addiction etc all to which they couldn't stress enough that the most important aspect of this paperwork was to judge how genuine the candidate was and if they would hold back anything negative from their past, all to which I answered with 100% honesty. This interview was concluded by the district manager confirming I was the strongest candidate for the roll which the previous managers had put forward and that he saw and I quote "No reason at all to make you ineligible for the position."
    From this point, I felt great - everyone along the way had been extremely positive and one manager had basically told me they weren't even looking at anyone else as they was so pleased with my responses etc.

I then had to wait for the district manager to then speak with the branch/assistant manager to confirm any decisions. I was promised calls on different dates which never happened to which I had to awkwardly call myself and try and find out if I had/hadn't got the position I was trying for. This went on for 10 days until finally I got a call from the relevant branch manager to state "we've decided to go in a different direction" and that "he thought everything went well" and sounded surprised too.
    Bear in mind this process had taken just shy of 4 weeks, in which I was advised I could look for other jobs, of course, but I would be a great member of this company. All to which ended up being a colossal waste of time and money which frankly I couldn't afford to lose (which every person who spoke to me was well aware of since then asked questions about every aspect of my life) and I was open to tell them I had recently been messed about by local companies in similar situations to which their response was "hopefully we will be able to help you out" and "they don't conduct business in that way.

Interview Questions

• To summaries, I am fully aware that no position is guaranteed off interviews, but I find it extremely unprofessional for managers to imply that the position is almost certainly mine, and then tell me they are surprised as well I didn't get a position. When asked if there was any details to which let me down or as to why everything started so strong and then suddenly got dropped out of nowhere I was informed they wasn't informed of the reason. It turns out their is no transparency whatsoever as I noticed job ads resubmitted to job websites whilst I was waiting for a response to whether I had or hadn't received a position so you must have been well aware I was unsuccessful, yet it took you 4 more days to tell me this.   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davenport, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Denver Mattress (Davenport, IA).

Interview

I Applied for the position of "Assistant Branch Manager" with a stated starting salary of $70,000 a year. When i arrived at the interview i was told that there was no management position available and they only put that up to bring in applicants! they pulled the old bate and switch but i went with it. I'm then told that it is a 100% commission job and his exact words were "so, if you have bad sales month you'll be eating ramen, but if you sell a lot you may be able to afford McDonalds"... this isn't a joke. these are his words. They wanted me to be able to move every 6mo -2yrs at a base salary of $27,000, no relocation payment, and no increase in base salary based on where you are in the country (so, no cost of living increase). I was FLOORED i looked at him and said "sorry, sir, but you've wasted my time" and walked out.

Interview Questions

Denver Mattress Response

Jan 19, 2017 – Regional Sales Director - West Region

I appreciate you posting your review, but I believe you may be mistaken what you applied for. Our job opening ad in Davenport is listed as Sales Manager Trainee, not assistant store manager or... More

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kennewick, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Denver Mattress (Kennewick, WA) in January 2016.

Interview

The first interview (it's been a week since) was really laid back. The interviewer just wants to get to know your personality and traits, nothing really pressing or intimidating about it.

Interview Questions

• What was the last movie you watched?   1 Answer
    • When is it okay to tell a little white lie?   1 Answer

Nov 18, 2016 – Regional Sales Director - West Region

Thank you for your review and good luck in your career search.

Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Denver Mattress (Albuquerque, NM) in October 2015.

Interview

I declined the job offer when it required wearing a suit and tie to work every day. I was hoping that the dress attire would involve company polo shirts (with the Denver Mattress logo on the left chest), but not a jacket & tie.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in this comany?   1 Answer

Nov 16, 2015 – Regional Sales Director - West Region

We appreciate your review and would like to clear up that a suit is not required for the position. We do require a tie as we like to present a professional appearance to our staff and customers and... More

Anonymous Employee in Mansfield, OH

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Denver Mattress (Mansfield, OH) in June 2015.

Interview

It is essentially you as the interviewee describing your life story. What are tough decisions you made, How did those decisions shape you. It's a multi step interview, so you will have to come back in for anywhere from 1-3 interviews depending on the position and who your initial interview is with. It took roughly 2 weeks time to complete the whole process.

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Denver Mattress (Denver, CO) in May 2015.

Interview

Store manager was not bad. When interviewed with the regional he needs to focus more on how you would benefit the company not on what you did as a kid. I am 60 and have had a real life not just out of high school and have held high clearance jobs. In fact I told my son that works for the FBI he laughed and said he would bet this man does not have a class even psychology! This is not a life and death job nor is it a high security cleaarnce job. My son also told me in he been some tough interviews unless you have a trained person in psychology interviewing they are not in the legal right to ask some of the question tthey ask! This is a mattress company that is it! Not an airline or doctor or law Enforcement not even close . If you want a background check then that is easy get one or stay out of peoples personal life's that has nothing to do with selling! I would say get a life yourself and be more concerned with sales! Yes I am going to the labor board with this . I am little older and know better only because I have worked companies that have high security clearances !

Interview Questions

• All about your family nothing about what what you can briing to the company.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Denver Mattress (San Antonio, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

Very in depth. Wants to make sure they hire the correct person for the job. They ask about your family, work ethic, your hopes, etc. They don't want just another scummy sales person. They do a background check on you to assure that you aren't lying, and it is a minimum 3 step process.

Interview Questions

Denver Mattress Response

Nov 18, 2016 – Regional Sales Director - West Region

Thank you for your review. We look forward to watching your career develop.