Denver Mattress Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Denver Mattress Interview Questions

Updated Feb 8, 2017

Anonymous Employee in Lone Tree, CO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Denver Mattress (Lone Tree, CO).

Interview

Was interviewed by phone, in person by an assistant manager, by a store manager, and then finally by a district manager. They went into a level of detail that I was not expecting. Once I was hired it became obvious the company is always looking for the "right" person rather than just someone who might be able to do the job. I was very impressed that they also seem to be making sure that the company had what *you* were looking for.

Interview Questions

• What was the best/worst part of working for ____?   1 Answer

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davenport, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Denver Mattress (Davenport, IA).

Interview

I Applied for the position of "Assistant Branch Manager" with a stated starting salary of $70,000 a year. When i arrived at the interview i was told that there was no management position available and they only put that up to bring in applicants! they pulled the old bate and switch but i went with it. I'm then told that it is a 100% commission job and his exact words were "so, if you have bad sales month you'll be eating ramen, but if you sell a lot you may be able to afford McDonalds"... this isn't a joke. these are his words. They wanted me to be able to move every 6mo -2yrs at a base salary of $27,000, no relocation payment, and no increase in base salary based on where you are in the country (so, no cost of living increase). I was FLOORED i looked at him and said "sorry, sir, but you've wasted my time" and walked out.

Interview Questions

Denver Mattress Response

Jan 19, 2017 – Regional Sales Director - West Region

I appreciate you posting your review, but I believe you may be mistaken what you applied for. Our job opening ad in Davenport is listed as Sales Manager Trainee, not assistant store manager or ... More

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kennewick, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Denver Mattress (Kennewick, WA) in January 2016.

Interview

The first interview (it's been a week since) was really laid back. The interviewer just wants to get to know your personality and traits, nothing really pressing or intimidating about it.

Interview Questions

• What was the last movie you watched?   1 Answer
    • When is it okay to tell a little white lie?   1 Answer

Nov 18, 2016 – Regional Sales Director - West Region

Thank you for your review and good luck in your career search.

Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Denver Mattress (Albuquerque, NM) in October 2015.

Interview

I declined the job offer when it required wearing a suit and tie to work every day. I was hoping that the dress attire would involve company polo shirts (with the Denver Mattress logo on the left chest), but not a jacket & tie.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in this comany?   1 Answer

Nov 16, 2015 – Regional Sales Director - West Region

We appreciate your review and would like to clear up that a suit is not required for the position. We do require a tie as we like to present a professional appearance to our staff and customers and ... More

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Denver Mattress (Denver, CO) in May 2015.

Interview

Store manager was not bad. When interviewed with the regional he needs to focus more on how you would benefit the company not on what you did as a kid. I am 60 and have had a real life not just out of high school and have held high clearance jobs. In fact I told my son that works for the FBI he laughed and said he would bet this man does not have a class even psychology! This is not a life and death job nor is it a high security cleaarnce job. My son also told me in he been some tough interviews unless you have a trained person in psychology interviewing they are not in the legal right to ask some of the question tthey ask! This is a mattress company that is it! Not an airline or doctor or law Enforcement not even close . If you want a background check then that is easy get one or stay out of peoples personal life's that has nothing to do with selling! I would say get a life yourself and be more concerned with sales! Yes I am going to the labor board with this . I am little older and know better only because I have worked companies that have high security clearances !

Interview Questions

• All about your family nothing about what what you can briing to the company.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Denver Mattress (San Antonio, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

Very in depth. Wants to make sure they hire the correct person for the job. They ask about your family, work ethic, your hopes, etc. They don't want just another scummy sales person. They do a background check on you to assure that you aren't lying, and it is a minimum 3 step process.

Interview Questions

Denver Mattress Response

Nov 18, 2016 – Regional Sales Director - West Region

Thank you for your review. We look forward to watching your career develop.

Sales Manager Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Denver Mattress.

Interview

You go through 3 interviews. The first two are seemingly harmless, however, the last interview if you have had a traumatic past of any kind, be warned, is brutal. They ask nothing about sales experience or your qualifications, they ask EXCESSIVELY INTRUSIVE questions about your past, parents, marriages, and more. Things really only a therapist should be asking, and boarder line Illegal.

Interview Questions

• -How long between marriages was it just you, your sibling(s), and parent
      -Was your parent mentally or physically abusive
      -How long did your parent let the abuse go on
      -How did having an abusive parent make you feel
      -Who do you go to with your problems

Their excuse for asking these questions, is because "They promote so quickly internally, and you can become responsible for a lot of assets within the company quickly." they justify it by saying that "The process has been used for over 20 years." I get it, they need to be thorough, they are a private company, they promote quickly- However it doesn't give them the right to make someone relive, in great detail, traumatic events.

The fact that they disregard the possibility that their interview process may upset someone just because "a decent amount" do not fall into a "victim" category says to me that this is a company I wouldn't want to work for or support. I decided moments after the final interview process was over that I would not work for this company so when they called a few days later to tell me they had gone with someone else I was not offended by it at all. I explained my position that I would have turned them down regardless- There was no apology, just a defensive explanation, and the guy told me to call him if i needed a pillow or mattress... Which also makes me feel that these people are emotionally stunted as well, again supporting my decision to never support this company.

Things are very different then they were 20 years ago, perhaps the interview process should be reevaluated.
      1 Answer

Manager Trainee Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Denver Mattress in September 2014.

Interview

Interviewed with Manager
    interview with Assistant still to come.Tell me about yourself was their big question. 3 step process. If they like you final interview is Regional manager. They recommend who they like to hire.

Management Training Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Denver Mattress (Denver, CO) in August 2014.

Interview

The company requires a three step I interview process. You interview with the store manager and the assistant manager, then if they approve, you are scheduled for an audit with the regional manager. These interviews are all pretty invasive and they do ask some pretty personal questions.

Interview Questions

• Are you stillnin contact wih your parents? What was it like growing up with your parents? Tell me about them. What was school like for you?   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Denver Mattress.

Interview

Asked about my work background. Reviewed my resume. A store manager trainee is literally just a sales position. You will eventually (1-2 years) be eligible to be a store manager somewhere in the US.