DigitalOcean Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at DigitalOcean

Sort:
  1. Featured Interview

Vice President Role Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at DigitalOcean in January 2018.

Interview

The recruiting process at Digital Ocean is very impressive. The recruiter I worked with was phenomenal. He went above and beyond to match up multiple interviews with various stakeholders to my availability (which wasn't always easy) and was great at timely follow up and feedback.

The DO team members I met were people one would want to work with; each added their perspective to the role and the future of the company. The overall process was organized and set DO apart from other organizations.

Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at DigitalOcean.

Interview

This is the longest process to date, with a lot of time and energy being invested from the interviewee's stand point(especially if you don't get the job). This is a huge problem especially if the interviewee has other offers on the table, but really wants to see the outcome of this particular job.

Applied through the website, got a call from recruiter, then had a homework assignment, then video interview if I passed, and then meeting with 5 people on site with 45 minute interviews each. A lot of redundancy in the questions, but it's good to meet the whole team you'd be a part of and working with. The recruiter stayed in touch throughout the process which was great, and very helpful.

The reason for not hiring didn't make sense, because it seemed like they didn't even want to hire for this position and I felt like I wasted my time in the end. A proper reason would be beneficial especially if the interviewee has made a greater effort and put in so much time.

Associate Technical Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at DigitalOcean (New York, NY) in June 2018.

Interview

After submitting my application, I received an email from a recruiter offering a phone screening. This was a thirty minute or so long discussion mostly about the role and why I was interested in it. The recruiter was friendly and professional, and I have no complaints at all.

The next step was a Google hangouts call with a hiring manager. The questions were pretty much the same as the first round's. This lasted for about thirty minutes as well, and I felt that the interview was a positive experience.

After that interview went well, I was emailed an assignment to complete and submit. I was sent an example first draft of a tutorial article and was asked to run a technical test and provide an editorial briefing for the article's hypothetical author. DigitalOcean provided some instructions for the assignment, but I must say that they were lacking. The example article was riddled with issues, and without some sort of idea as to what the focus on, the applicant (in this case, me) was left to prioritize and streamline feedback in a way that he or she felt appropriate for, one, a first round of editing for, two, a first time volunteer author, and, three, an email based discussion. This is tricky because there are certainly multiple approaches to the editorial process. In my own experience, I chose to focus on sturtural and formatting issues for my feedback, and figured that copy editing would be best left for another round of editing. Unfortunately, DigitalOcean was looking for a more copy editing heavy approach from the beginning and less discussion on format and structure. I simply think that DigitalOcean should make this very clear in the assignment's instructions. It would benefit both applicant and interviewer.

Not getting the job is all fine by me, and I still see the process as a positive one. DigitalOcean is a great company, and I highly recommend that anybody apply to work with them. The atmosphere is great and the work important.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in this position?   Answer Question
    • Why do you like editing?   Answer Question
    • What sort of approach do you take to editing?   Answer Question
    • Give me an example of a time in which you had to deal an interpersonal problem.   Answer Question
    • What sort of experience do you have with technical writing? With technology as a whole?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at DigitalOcean (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

Phone chat, code sample, code sample review and then 4 hours of back to back interviews. All interviews were heavily technical and exhausting. No conversations around company/team culture or fit. Very google-esque problem solving only. Not much concern over design or readability of code, even testing. Had great code sample feedback but poor technical interview feedback. Company seems to value pure CS problem solving over practical software development skills.

The main interviews were very one sided, very little back and forth conversation, no pairing on code. Interviewers sometimes fell into an awkward silence when asked their opinion on a problem.

Interview Questions

• In the greatest possible detail, describe the what takes place when someone runs "wget www.google.com", from the keyboard all the way down to the wire, client <---> server.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at DigitalOcean (New York, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

First it was a phone interview with a recruiter, and then I had a remote interview with one of the managers. Then I was invited to visit, and passed to another recruiter who handled my travels.

When I was on-site, I met with 4 sets of people, each set is a pair. One primarily asked questions, while the other observed. I met with engineers, two team leads/senior devs, two more managers, and then some from the HCM side. Total took about 5 hours.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at DigitalOcean.

Interview

Quick recruiter phone screen, technical pair programming challenge, then manager interviews. Everything was find until the manager interviews. One of the manager didn't come prepared, didn't seem to have read my resume, had no questions for me, and was just generally unresponsive. The other interview went fine. Eventually said they were moving on with people with more experience.e

Interview Questions

• Generally questions about describing projects I've worked at in previous roles   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at DigitalOcean (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

Submitted an application online via a referral link. Was contacted to schedule a phone interview, after initial phone interview asked to submit a code sample. Have not heard any feedback after that step.

Interview Questions

• Asked to describe how inheritance works in JavaScript.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at DigitalOcean.

Interview

Very thorough. Have to meet the CEO as well. Clearly the company cares about who joins. Overall process moved very quickly, recruiters were very responsive, and the hiring managers involved were extremely intelligent.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at DigitalOcean (New York, NY) in March 2018.

Interview

It was a really long process for me because I interviewed with 3 different teams. Despite the waiting and multiple rounds, it was a positive indication of how much thought and care they put into hiring employees. I was referred by a DigitalOcean employee and then had the initial phone screen. This basically goes over your resume and interest in the company. Then I met with the Engineering manager of the first team I was interviewing for. Once I passed that screen, I was given a take home coding assignment which I found to be indicative of the work environment you would be working in at DigitalOcean. It was very practical and hands down my favorite type of coding test in comparison to other companies known for whiteboarding. Once that's done, I went onsite to meet the team. It went well, did some whiteboarding(my choice) mixed with explanation of experience, code assignment overview and how to design systems. A lot of video conferencing occurs throughout the interview process, which is another sign of the work environment at DigitalOcean since a lot of engineers work remote. Then the HR team decided that this engineering team was not the best fit for me, so I interviewed with a second team. Same situation, I started to get worried. But I was contacted by HR throughout the whole process with updates on status. Then in the last team interview I met with a engineering manager, a director and finally a hiring manager and discussed my interest in joining another team. Once that went well, I received a verbal offer the next day and an official offer to sign the day after that.

Interview Questions

• Can you explain why you designed your coding assignment solution the way you did?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at DigitalOcean (Remote, OR) in April 2017.

Interview

The interview process involved:
    1) Short screening with a recruiter
    2) Interview with Engineering Manager
    3) Coding assignment (~2 - 5 days depending on how much free time you have)
    4) 4 Interviews with other engineers/managers

The interview process was a long one, but it showed how much thought goes into new hires. Everyone I interviewed with was very friendly and understanding that I was spending hours of my weeks for the interview process. I loved that there was no coding on a whiteboard, but instead a coding interview that better reflected my abilities as a software engineer. Other questions I was asked regarding distributed systems were intentionally open-ended with no right or wrong answer.

Interview Questions

DigitalOcean Response

May 26, 2017 – Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to review our interview process. Happy to have you at DO!

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at DigitalOcean.

Interview

I applied online and received no response. I submitted a resume, cover letter, and took some time to research the relevant tech stack for the position.

I assume that 35 days of silence means rejection, but it would be nice to know for sure.