DigitalOcean Interview Questions | Glassdoor

DigitalOcean Interview Questions

Updated Jun 15, 2018

1. Featured Interview

Vice President Role Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at DigitalOcean in January 2018.

Interview

The recruiting process at Digital Ocean is very impressive. The recruiter I worked with was phenomenal. He went above and beyond to match up multiple interviews with various stakeholders to my availability (which wasn't always easy) and was great at timely follow up and feedback.

The DO team members I met were people one would want to work with; each added their perspective to the role and the future of the company. The overall process was organized and set DO apart from other organizations.

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at DigitalOcean.

Interview

The process was great from start to end. The recruiter was in touch with me every step of the way.

I did 5 interviews in total, it was such a positive experience for me.

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at DigitalOcean (New York, NY) in June 2018.

Interview

Completely unprofessional. Recruiter called me, berated me over why I bothered to apply when there was an honest mix-up, then asking me why I bothered. I've read positive reviews about this company, but no reason to act unprofessionally when it's a candidate's market.

Interview Questions

• Q: Why did you bother to apply? I don't want to waste my time.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at DigitalOcean in May 2018.

Interview

Applied online. Received an email from the recruiter asking me to interview for a Manager of Logistics & Inventory position. Spoke to the recruiter and while very nice, she was able to provide little of details about the position. Received another email requesting an interview with the hiring manager regarding another position! When I spoke with the hiring manager, she was unaware of this and asked me as to what position I felt I was best qualified for!!!??? She further went on to comment as to the poor current state of supply chain affairs at Digital Ocean, that her predecessor was abruptly terminated, and that the current systems and processes were primarily manual! Received a rejection email a few days later (thank God)! Very poorly managed and unprofessional process. Sorry for whoever they do eventually hire!

Interview Questions

• What position(s) at Digital Ocean do you feel you are best qualified for?   1 Answer

Security Operations Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at DigitalOcean (Cambridge, MA) in April 2018.

Interview

The interview process followed the behavioral interview technique with the S.T.A.R. model. Initially I had off-site phone screenings and hangout sessions to review my interest and potentially compatibility for the role. The actual interview process was done on-site in Cambridge for a total of 3 hours. I was brought into the office where I met with a total of 3 staff members from different teams. 2 of them were remote. For the remote interview they setup a Google Hangouts session where I video chatted with two team members from the DigitalOcean interview room. I then had a lunch interview with the staff member that was on-site, they paid of course. The questions were all fair in the style that could be answered with the S.T.A.R. technique. Overall, this layout was the best I have experienced since graduating college and allowed me to be very clear in what I was capable of.

Senior Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at DigitalOcean (New York, NY) in April 2018.

Interview

Overall many staff members and technical team members were nice and professional, but salary and equity negotiations were tense and made it seem like the company has a very unrealistic perspective on the current market in machine learning and data science, and really undervalues their existing data science staff.

The initial process just included a phone call with a recruiter. I was very happy that after just one phone call, they invited me directly for an on-site interview. The on-site day of interviews started off well with a team lunch. The cafeteria is nice, but the food options are not as diverse as I've seen in many other companies. After lunch I had 5 different interview sessions, 3 technical and 2 discussion-oriented with managers.

In one technical interview, the questions focused on high-level problems with modern machine learning even though the employee qualified the questions several times by saying I probably wouldn't get to work on anything that advanced at Digital Ocean. In another technical interview, I was asked to stand at a whiteboard and work through a machine learning problem start-to-finish, involving text documents with associated metadata like images, and to talk fluently about pros and cons of different methods, potential issues impacting training (overfitting, sample bias, etc.) and how to address them. It was very technical in nature, but it was not like hazing-style algorithm trivia. In the final technical interview, I was asked questions on the side of devops-- e.g. have I used Luigi, do I know what Docker containers are, how would I test and deploy a machine learning service, etc. I enjoy these questions, so it was a nice interview for me, but it did seem like they were expecting an unusually broad amount of devops experience for a data science and machine learning role (and as I describe later, they weren't willing to pay anywhere close to what this broad skill set is worth in the current job market).

The two manager interviews were far less pleasant because they involved clearly so much bureaucracy. One manager gave me the chance to ask most of the questions, and so I asked about the reasoning behind such broad devops questions in my earlier interview, and whether the job would be really focused on statistical modeling. The manager hemmed and hawed without making any clear statements, and mostly was trying to obliquely say that the position would require a lot of data infrastructure responsibilities and have less freedom to research new solutions or create machine learning products or services. (This manager also alluded to a 40-page (!) slide deck of Agile practices for the team).

Later I spoke with another manager who oversaw a greenfield research project. At first I was excited, but through the discussion he informed me that the data science position wouldn't really overlap with his team, and that since the data science team sits underneath of the director of operations, it focuses more on very simple statistical reporting and data aggregation from an operations / cost-cutting perspective. At this point, I questioned why they even asked me to interview with a research manager in the first place.

Finally, a few days after my long on-site interview, the recruiter called me back. The recruiter informed me that my interviews had gone very well and the company was interested in making an offer.

I replied with a few questions about their start-up equity and the company's financial health, and after getting some information about that, I was able to share my salary and bonus requirements with the recruiter.

At that point, the recruiter dropped all communication with me for over a week. Finally, I reached out to say I would move on to some other employment options if I did not hear back from them.

The recruiter responded with an email containing an informal job offer, but the salary was over 30% lower than my request. I politely mentioned that the salary was not competitive in the current machine learning job market, not even among start-ups. The recruiter replied that it was the highest they were willing to offer.

I thanked them for their time, but declined, given that the salary was not competitive.

Overall, some of the other data scientists and engineers seemed skillful and pleasant. Digital Ocean is very lucky to have them on the staff. If the low-ball salary offer that I received from the recruiter is any indication of what they are paying their existing data scientists, all I can say is that Digital Ocean is very lucky indeed, and those engineers could make a lot more money to do the same job and have similar perks and benefits at almost any other startup or company in New York.

This made me feel that I would be underutilized and undervalued at Digital Ocean.

Interview Questions

• - Diagram a solution for a multi-modal document prediction task.

- Explain overfitting in the context of various algorithms (SVM, random forest, neural network) and techniques to mitigate it (very technical on the details)

- Explain how you would deal with class imbalance or other sources of bias in a training data set (again, very technical on the details)

- Explain how you would use a Docker container to make a deployable machine learning service using Kubernetes (wanted many devops details).

- Have you used a pipeline automation tool like Luigi? Have you used monitoring tools like PagerDuty?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at DigitalOcean (New York, NY) in March 2018.

Interview

It was a really long process for me because I interviewed with 3 different teams. Despite the waiting and multiple rounds, it was a positive indication of how much thought and care they put into hiring employees. I was referred by a DigitalOcean employee and then had the initial phone screen. This basically goes over your resume and interest in the company. Then I met with the Engineering manager of the first team I was interviewing for. Once I passed that screen, I was given a take home coding assignment which I found to be indicative of the work environment you would be working in at DigitalOcean. It was very practical and hands down my favorite type of coding test in comparison to other companies known for whiteboarding. Once that's done, I went onsite to meet the team. It went well, did some whiteboarding(my choice) mixed with explanation of experience, code assignment overview and how to design systems. A lot of video conferencing occurs throughout the interview process, which is another sign of the work environment at DigitalOcean since a lot of engineers work remote. Then the HR team decided that this engineering team was not the best fit for me, so I interviewed with a second team. Same situation, I started to get worried. But I was contacted by HR throughout the whole process with updates on status. Then in the last team interview I met with a engineering manager, a director and finally a hiring manager and discussed my interest in joining another team. Once that went well, I received a verbal offer the next day and an official offer to sign the day after that.

Interview Questions

• Can you explain why you designed your coding assignment solution the way you did?   Answer Question

Director Interview

Interview

Very positive reaction to the interview process, well coordinated and provided great insight. While the process is quite lengthy, I appreciated all of the conversations and the different perspectives I was able to gather around the company. Hiring top notch people, not just for their skillset, but for their aptitude to learn, collaborate, and foster a healthy environment comes through as a priority in the interview process.

Interview Questions

• A lot of focus was placed on how to help individual contributors grow in their career, either into the role of a people leader, or continued on a technical focused track.   1 Answer

Director of Customer Success Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at DigitalOcean (New York, NY) in March 2018.

Interview

The process was very thorough and deliberate. Tom Wadlington was an excellent recruiter and prepared and advised me very well.

But the process took longer than I expected

The presentation part was tough but expected for a critical role such as mine.

Senior Fp&A Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at DigitalOcean (New York, NY) in March 2018.

Interview

The process was 1 phone interview, 2 Skype interviews, a case study and a series of in-person interviews. Throughout the interview process, DO was very honest and responsive to questions about timing and next steps, which I really appreciate

Interview Questions

• Mostly questions about my past experience and how I handled different things at work:
      - describe your current responsibilities
      - how do you use data to inform decisions
      - talk about certain projects worked on that require cross-functional collaboration   Answer Question

Senior Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at DigitalOcean in March 2018.

Interview

The process starts with a phone call from the recruiter. This is an initial filter where they ask you a few high-level questions to try and get a sense of your knowledge, talk a little about company culter, and to see if you're a good fit to proceed.

Next comes an interview with the hiring manager. This is a discussion about the specifics of what your interests and talents are, what the goals of the team/position you're applying for are, and they give you a chance to talk about what you would hope to get out of the position.

Next comes an hour-long paired-programming exercise. This is a technical review of your abilities to see if you're qualified for the position that you're applying for. You're asked to create an arbitrary program that will test your skills as a developer.

Over-all the process was fantastic, everyone I talked to was really great. We had really great discussions and they all gave great feedback. I was a little rusty in my paired-programming interview which reflected negatively on my abilities, and thus didn't have the opportunity to proceed with the interview process, but I imagine the entire process to be as great as what I had experienced up to that point.

Interview Questions

• During the paired-programming interview, I was asked to build a URL shortener server/client.   1 Answer