Cover image for DigitalOcean

Engaged Employer

Add an Interview

DigitalOcean Interview Questions

Updated May 31, 2023

To filter interviews, or .
Found 471 of over 471 interviews

Recruiter10%
2.9
HardAverageEasy

DigitalOcean

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at DigitalOcean

Interview

I applied through the cloudways website. HR contacted in few days. There were total 3 interview sessions. 1st Interview: Technical Interview - 1 hour 2nd Interview: Technical + culture fit - about an hour 3rd Interview: HR - 1 hour

Interview Questions
  • Microservices, logical programs, architecture, GIT
    Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at DigitalOcean (Singapore)

Interview

Initial recruiter screening. Second round with manager. Multiple technical rounds are scheduled on individual days. 3 technical rounds, looking for deeper routing protocols understanding, all members of the team have explained in detail about the role and challenges

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

The latest conversations about Tech

81 Comments

Tech

996.9K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Interviews&utm_content=Industry-content-integrated-Interviews&utm_term=DigitalOcean~823482
Join the conversation on

Got a burning question about interviews at DigitalOcean? Just ask!

On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with DigitalOcean employees and get real answers from people on the inside.

What's Fishbowl
Ask About Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at DigitalOcean (New York, NY)

Interview

The people replied early. The process was smooth and questions were great in order to feel comfortable but also aware of the situations that you could face. However they're only hiring from certain countries due that they're using an outsourcing company that establishes that. That's why I couldn't go further with the process. If they used Deel, Payoneer or any other work payment service they would gather more talent from different countries without to depend on certain regions unless they're strategic.

Interview Questions
  • What are the most common issues that you face when troubleshooting Servers? What do you do in your current work and how this can help to the company? Some IT questions

DigitalOcean

Application

I interviewed at DigitalOcean

Interview

The first round was a phone screen with HR. She was 10 minutes late calling me and seemed incredibly unenthused. She awkwardly jumped into questions without providing a greeting, apology, or frame to the conversation. She rushed through four questions in one breath. I answered them and articulated how my skills and experience clearly relate to the role. She didn't seem knowledgeable about the role, and I felt like she was more interested in being able to say she completed an interview versus actually vetting me as a candidate and having a genuine conversation. At the end, she said I'd hear back from her either way by X date as to whether the hiring manager would interview me. After X date came and went, I followed up for a status check and never heard back. I was ghosted by a company that clearly didn't impress me at Stage 1 and made me question their motives. It was one of the most unprofessional interviews I've had.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Islamabad, Islamabad

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at DigitalOcean (Islamabad, Islamabad) in Apr 2023

Interview

The interview process went smoothly. It started with an initial interview with the HR team, which lasted about 10 minutes. Then I had a casual chat with the hiring manager where we discussed my previous experience and job expectations. After that, I scheduled my technical interviews. The first technical interview involved hands-on debugging, where I had to SSH into a machine and ensure everything was running smoothly. The interviewer was relaxed, and we worked together to debug the issue. I was allowed to use the internet, but it was a straightforward task and I didn't need it. The next technical interview was about system design, and it was also laid-back. We discussed how I would design a caching system. However, I didn't perform well in the design interview. Last interview was again with one of the Hiring manager who was leading a team and the team was all based in US and i was the only one from Pakistan. Later, I talked to the recruiter about the job offer, but I ended up rejecting it because the salary offered by the company was significantly lower (4-5 times) than what my peers in the US were getting, simply because I was working from Pakistan. I raised this concern with the recruiter, and I also mentioned that the offered salary in local PKR was not competitive compared to other entities operating in Islamabad, Pakistan. Moreover, the company was not willing to pay me in dollars, which ultimately led to my decision to reject the offer.

Interview Questions
  • 1-Debugging - I was provided with a word document that had some instructions, such as the services running on the machine and the endpoint that i needed to curl. My task was to debug and fix the issue and make sure everything was running. 2-Design - How would you design a caching system for DO
3 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in Karāchi

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at DigitalOcean (Karāchi) in Apr 2023

Interview

I applied through a third-party recruiter. There 3 rounds in total. The first round was with an engineering manager which was honestly an convesation about my past experiences and how I handled certain situations. The second round was technical assessment with two parts. A debugging session and then a system design interview. The interviewers were very polite and well-prepared. There were no leet-code style questions and the conversation was grounded around real-world scenarios. Again, both parts felt like just having a convesation and it was a pleasant experience. The third and the final round was with my would-be manager where we talked in some more detail about the role and responsibilites, the engineering team and my expectations from the role. Finally an offer was extended which I accepted. The whole process took almost 3 weeks from start to finish. Overall a pleasant experience.

Interview Questions
  • What were some of the mistakes you made in your previous role and what did you learn from them?

Anonymous Employee in Islamabad, Islamabad

Application

Interview

The interview process was amazing, from recruitment to all rounds of interviews. Everyone took time to explain to me the requirements of the role and what would be expected of me in each round. Listen to my answers patiently and gave a chance to ask questions and clarified all of my concerns.

Interview Questions
  • What will I be willing to do to overcome my technical inabilities in order to fulfil the requirements of the role?

DigitalOcean

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at DigitalOcean in Apr 2023

Interview

Three rounds not including the initial video call with the technical recruiter. The first interview round the hiring manager, followed by two technical interviews conducted by senior engineers. In the second round after the introductions were over I had to remotely connect to a virtual machine and troubleshoot an issue. You have to have a good solid linux admin skills and experience with typical app deployment issues (cert errors, port conflicts, file handlers) In the hands on interview the interviewer provided a list of symptoms which you used to troubleshoot. You really have to know your linux admin skills and have related field experience to get through this. You have to know systemctl, journalctl, openssl -- a good command of linux. Focus is not on coding (Go lang) though solving the problem will require some simple code modification, recompile, and restart of services. The last round was more of a theoretical technical interview. I discussed my experience and answered various scenario type questions. They were meant to gauge my thought process and hands on experience.

Interview Questions
  • Typical questions like tell me about yourself and experience. What was the last thing. you worked on? What was the most challenging problem? Do you have experience with microservices? What did you use for communications?

DigitalOcean

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at DigitalOcean in Apr 2023

Interview

There are 4-5 rounds which includeTechnical, Introduction & HR. Where you have to clear all these rounds. Then after, you will get the offer letter from DigitalOcean and onboarding process will start from the first day of joining.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

DigitalOcean

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at DigitalOcean in Mar 2023

Interview

Overall interview process was good. There were three different Interviews sessions. All the interviews sessions were interactive and interviewer were fully professional and supportive during the interview process. Interview questions are difficult to answer and purely related to job.

Interview Questions
  • Q. How do you account for BAD debt?
Viewing 1 - 10 of 471 Interviews

DigitalOcean Interviews FAQs

Glassdoor users rated their interview experience at DigitalOcean as 83.4% positive with a difficulty rating score of 2.95 out of 5 (where 5 is the highest level of difficulty). Candidates interviewing for Coordinator and Inside Sales Director rated their interviews as the hardest, whereas interviews for Senior Program Manager and I T roles were rated as the easiest.

The hiring process at DigitalOcean takes an average of 33.46 days when considering 445 user submitted interviews across all job titles. Candidates applying for Anonymous had the quickest hiring process (on average 1 day), whereas Cloud Ops Administrator roles had the slowest hiring process (on average 270 days).

Common stages of the interview process at DigitalOcean according to 445 Glassdoor interviews include:

One on One Interview: 23.12%