DigitalOcean Interview Questions | Glassdoor

DigitalOcean Interview Questions

Updated Jul 20, 2018

1. Featured Interview

Vice President Role Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at DigitalOcean in January 2018.

Interview

The recruiting process at Digital Ocean is very impressive. The recruiter I worked with was phenomenal. He went above and beyond to match up multiple interviews with various stakeholders to my availability (which wasn't always easy) and was great at timely follow up and feedback.

The DO team members I met were people one would want to work with; each added their perspective to the role and the future of the company. The overall process was organized and set DO apart from other organizations.

Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at DigitalOcean.

Interview

This is the longest process to date, with a lot of time and energy being invested from the interviewee's stand point(especially if you don't get the job). This is a huge problem especially if the interviewee has other offers on the table, but really wants to see the outcome of this particular job.

Applied through the website, got a call from recruiter, then had a homework assignment, then video interview if I passed, and then meeting with 5 people on site with 45 minute interviews each. A lot of redundancy in the questions, but it's good to meet the whole team you'd be a part of and working with. The recruiter stayed in touch throughout the process which was great, and very helpful.

The reason for not hiring didn't make sense, because it seemed like they didn't even want to hire for this position and I felt like I wasted my time in the end. A proper reason would be beneficial especially if the interviewee has made a greater effort and put in so much time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at DigitalOcean (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

Phone chat, code sample, code sample review and then 4 hours of back to back interviews. All interviews were heavily technical and exhausting. No conversations around company/team culture or fit. Very google-esque problem solving only. Not much concern over design or readability of code, even testing. Had great code sample feedback but poor technical interview feedback. Company seems to value pure CS problem solving over practical software development skills.

The main interviews were very one sided, very little back and forth conversation, no pairing on code. Interviewers sometimes fell into an awkward silence when asked their opinion on a problem.

Interview Questions

• In the greatest possible detail, describe the what takes place when someone runs "wget www.google.com", from the keyboard all the way down to the wire, client <---> server.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at DigitalOcean.

Interview

Quick recruiter phone screen, technical pair programming challenge, then manager interviews. Everything was find until the manager interviews. One of the manager didn't come prepared, didn't seem to have read my resume, had no questions for me, and was just generally unresponsive. The other interview went fine. Eventually said they were moving on with people with more experience.e

Interview Questions

• Generally questions about describing projects I've worked at in previous roles   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at DigitalOcean (New York, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

First it was a phone interview with a recruiter, and then I had a remote interview with one of the managers. Then I was invited to visit, and passed to another recruiter who handled my travels.

When I was on-site, I met with 4 sets of people, each set is a pair. One primarily asked questions, while the other observed. I met with engineers, two team leads/senior devs, two more managers, and then some from the HCM side. Total took about 5 hours.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at DigitalOcean (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

Submitted an application online via a referral link. Was contacted to schedule a phone interview, after initial phone interview asked to submit a code sample. Have not heard any feedback after that step.

Interview Questions

• Asked to describe how inheritance works in JavaScript.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at DigitalOcean.

Interview

Very thorough. Have to meet the CEO as well. Clearly the company cares about who joins. Overall process moved very quickly, recruiters were very responsive, and the hiring managers involved were extremely intelligent.

Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at DigitalOcean (Remote, OR) in April 2017.

Interview

The interview process involved:
    1) Short screening with a recruiter
    2) Interview with Engineering Manager
    3) Coding assignment (~2 - 5 days depending on how much free time you have)
    4) 4 Interviews with other engineers/managers

The interview process was a long one, but it showed how much thought goes into new hires. Everyone I interviewed with was very friendly and understanding that I was spending hours of my weeks for the interview process. I loved that there was no coding on a whiteboard, but instead a coding interview that better reflected my abilities as a software engineer. Other questions I was asked regarding distributed systems were intentionally open-ended with no right or wrong answer.

Interview Questions

DigitalOcean Response

May 26, 2017 – Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to review our interview process. Happy to have you at DO!

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at DigitalOcean (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

1) Video interview with recruiter, about 30min and high level
     * a couple days later *
    2) Video interview with manager, about 30min and talked about projects, skills, what I'm looking for, why I was interested, etc.
    3) Given a take home assignment with no deadline. Other people have written about it on Glassdoor, but it seems everyone in engineering gets the same project. Took 10hrs, non-trivial, language agnostic (but in reality certain langs are better suited for it). Very well defined problem, with concrete requirements, but room to demonstrate good design and edge cases.
    4) 4x 45-min video interviews with team peers, including walking through the submitted project. Wide variety of questions, many not related to the submitted project - including behavioral, team dynamics, general experience, tech opinions.
    5) Received offer, and accepted a few days later.

There were no live coding portions, shared screen things, whiteboarding, or algorithms/data structure tests. The culture seems to instead focus on readable, documented, tested, well designed code.

Overall it was a fast process, about 3 weeks total (most of which was waiting on me). I bet a super fast candidate could get it down to 1.5 weeks end to end if they could do the project in one evening and was immediately available for the interviews.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at DigitalOcean.

Interview

I applied online and received no response. I submitted a resume, cover letter, and took some time to research the relevant tech stack for the position.

I assume that 35 days of silence means rejection, but it would be nice to know for sure.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at DigitalOcean in August 2016.

Interview

The entire process took approximately 6 weeks. Heard back from a recruiter and was immediately directed to solve a coding problem. Like other candidates have mentioned - after submitting my code and having it successfully run against their test harness the interview process was abruptly cut off. Future candidates should note that you will not be compensated for the time and effort placed into submitting this coding project. The project itself shouldn't take more than 2 weeks (standard sprint) of development time but DigitalOcean does place a requirement that your code be "production ready". Obviously that phrase means different things to different people but I believe it's meant to dissuade candidates from submitting a hacked together solution.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any experience with large distributed compute environments?   Answer Question