DigitalOcean Reviews

Updated Apr 25, 2021

4.5
DigitalOcean CEO Yancey Spruill
Yancey Spruill
Pros
  • "Best remote culture I've ever encountered(in 16 reviews)

• "Great benefits, great staff, competitive pay, big sense of community(in 15 reviews)

• Cons
  • "We are experiencing some growing pains(in 10 reviews)

• "Senior management is uninspiring, only managing the money(in 4 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Best company I've ever worked for.

Mar 25, 2021 - Technical Editor
      Business Outlook

Pros

Remote and flexible work. Great benefits and pay. Wonderful colleagues.

Cons

Communication seemed to go one way for a while, but that has recently been resolved.

2. 5.0

Best company I've worked for

Feb 16, 2021 - Engineer Ll in Raleigh, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing pay and stock options. They actually care about your well being (gives you gym and mental health stipend monthly) and give company wide "recharge days" where the whole company takes random days off. Strong financials and innovative space to work. Customers love the product.

Cons

none that i can think of

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great interview and onboarding experience

Feb 5, 2021 - Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Recruiters are on top of things. Interview process was very straightforward and you could tell they were very interested in good fit with the team. Onboarding was very smooth. It was very easy to understand what I needed to do and my manager and the people team were very helpful.

Cons

I haven't been here long enough to know any meaningful cons.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Work at my company

Feb 25, 2021 - Performance Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Simplicity Value for employees Love at its core

Cons

Can't think of any cons

5. 5.0

great company

Feb 15, 2021 - Software Engineer II in New Brunswick, NJ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work with modern technology on interesting features.

Cons

Fast moving and pressure at times to meet deadlines

6. 5.0
      Former Employee

Great company

Feb 9, 2021 - Sales Development Representative (SDR)
      Business Outlook

Pros

Unlimited PTO Great environment Great people It is a growing industry with much upside

Cons

Sales team was not fully ready for main product line

7. 5.0

Worked there three years

Jan 11, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Great engineering culture: There is a broad assumption of positive intent. Trust within and between teams. - Building a cloud has lots of interesting challenges. - Lots of opportunity for advancement and professional growth.

Cons

- There's not much downtime and contributions back upstream don't always happen as much as I'd like.

8. 2.0
      Former Employee

Dishonest/disconnected leadership, "values" are a myth

Dec 19, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Before the current leadership DigitalOcean was an amazing place to work. Pre-2020, the company lived up to its values, had an amazing culture, provided real opportunities for dedicated employees, and was a place where leadership (both direct managers and senior leadership) cared about the people. There are great benefits for remote employees. Monthly snack/coffee deliveries, monthly wellness stipends, etc. They introduced extra paid days off in response to COVID. They offered an office stipend when the entire company became remote because of COVID. There are amazingly talented people at DigitalOcean. Great compensation, though annual raises have been significantly less beneath new leadership (3% max). Shark Week was an amazing benefit/event, but I doubt that will ever happen again once travel is safe because of the fixation on trimming costs.

Cons

- Under the latest leadership, veteran employees do not feel safe. - Recognition is only given to a handful of "teacher's pets." - Several layoffs in 2020 made room for senior leadership's colleagues from prior companies. Leadership posted job listings for these roles, which were quickly filled by old teammates from their last company. Some of these replacements have no idea what they are doing and are not qualified to be leaders, which is reflected in the work being done and the number of veterans looking for new work. - Internal surveys show that employees don't trust senior leadership, but leadership does nothing to course correct and regain trust. Their behaviors do the opposite. - The values are not true anymore. The only value that leadership lives by is to become "cash flow positive," even if that means letting go of the "love" culture they claim is at the core of "everything they do." The only thing at the core of all leadership does is profit. - The CEO has reprimanded those who ask difficult but fair questions during "AMAs." They always dodge the tough questions. - Note that almost all positive reviews from 2020 were written by people who've been with the company less than a year.

13 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Strong team, lots of love, alignment on customer service and revenue growth

Feb 10, 2020 - Capacity Planner in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

(Nota Bene to jobseekers: these pros are some of the ones a new mgmt team has also taken notice of, so I'd guess these will continue to differentiate DO for retention and recruitment) - strong remote work culture (for me, this means I get to rely on and learn from some very smart people who might not have been able to relocate) - DO Love: This is not (thankfully) corporate gobbledegook cult stuff. I genuinely feel supported by the wonderful people I work with, and that they truly care about my success. This motivates me to care about theirs', and DO's as a whole, rather than just feeling like I'm 'at a place' where a checklist of tasks become compensation. - Perks: The fitness credit, lunches, AMAZING office coordinators (Thank you B & H!), and easy-going WFH policies make DO a real pleasure to work at.

Cons

(Caveat to jobseekers: These downsides are *the* focus of the executive team, in order to ensure DO's continued success, and are being actively addressed) - it can be a little unclear how the nitty gritty and longterm of an IC contributes to the larger picture (weekly tasks to quarterly/yearly goals) - sometimes there's been a too slow relay of information between teams ('process' can mean 'red tape' just like it means regularity in decision making)

1 person found this review helpful
    10. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Love it, great place, great people

Jan 5, 2021 - Software Engineer II in Orlando, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits, great staff, competitive pay, big sense of community

Cons

none so far, will update once some time has passed.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 155 Reviews