Disqus Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Disqus Interview Questions

Interviews at Disqus

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Disqus (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Phone Interview with lead engineer was first step. They asked about my background and after a little bit of introduction technical question started. we used a online whiteboard and I was able to show my code to interviewer.

They are professionals and I liked their culture. They reached out to me to inform me that I wasn't a good fit. This shows they respect candidates.

Interview Questions

• String parsing and level of complexity of my implementation   1 Answer

UI Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Disqus in March 2015.

Interview

They sent me code challenge less than one day after my application. After I sent back my solution, they contact me in 2 days for first round of interview with the VP. After a day, they set up the second round of interview with an engineer.
    After two interviews, they asked me about my work authorization needs. After a week, they responded that they are not going to move forward without explaining why.

Account Manager Interview

Interview

This was the first company that didn't have any recruiter call to screen me. My first call was with the hiring manager, which was great and I was excited to come onsite. But the onsite interview was a big disappointment!
    The first interviewer was unprepared, he had no idea what to ask me and was literally writing his thoughts/questions as I was sitting across the table. It seemed like he was doing everything at Disqus yet nothing.
    The second interviewer was pleasant but given the nature of work done in that role, I was surprised when I didn't get an appropriate answer to my questions (they ought to have known the answer!).
    The only saving grace was the third interviewer, who was asking smart questions to understand how it would be like to work with me, situational questions etc. After all this is when I got to meet the recruiter (with one of the onsite interviews still to happen). That's where we spoke about salary expectations, culture etc. I quoted my expected range which is what the market is valuing me at. But it seemed like this was beyond what they could offer. So the next thing I know is that I am being asked to leave and that the last interviewer is suddenly not available!! I knew that there was a difference between my expectations and what they could offer but this unprofessionalism was not expected. While walking out, I could see the last interviewer was sitting at his desk (so much for being busy/not available).
    It was a bad experience! They could have asked me expectations at the very start (had there been a recruiter screening like all other companies do). I wasted half a day for this and the time lost to study for the interviews.

Interview Questions

• 1. What is your opinion about the listed skills (analytical, technical and product) that we require in this position?
      2. Tell me a situation where you had to work with the product team?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Disqus (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Spoke with several different people from the sales team, as well as HR to make sure that I was a good fit. Was invited to eat lunch with them on my first onsite so I got the chance to meet everyone. It made the interview time longer (3 phone screens and a 4 hour onsite), but it gave me the visibility into the company which I wanted.

Interview Questions

• Lots of situational questions about being an Account Manager - how I would react / respond in certain situations. What has my previous experience been like? Why is it relevant?What are my passions / goals? What drives me? Why Disqus? What are my strengths and weaknesses?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Disqus (New York, NY) in February 2013.

Interview

A struggle with interviewing is that recruiters are not good with following up when promised. I didn't have that experience with Disqus, they were great about proactively keeping me in the loop.

Interview Questions

• Met with about five people from the NYC team. Questions were standard questions for the position as it relates to the industry.   Answer Question

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Disqus (San Francisco, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

went very smoothly, first a phone interview with hiring manager, and then onsite with hiring manager and HR, the entire onsite interview was about 2 hours, talked about my experiences on resume and asked some behavior questions

Frontend Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Disqus in July 2014.

Interview

They contacted me by email less than one day after my application.
    After a couple emails they asked for more information about my work authorization needs, then they sent the challenge to complete within two days.
    I sent my solution to the challenge, but after three days they responded that the solution could be enhanced and they gave me the opportunity to update my submission.
    I sent another solution and after 5 days they responded that they didn't want to move forward without explaining why and without giving any feedback.

Product Designer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Disqus.

Interview

I was contacted internally, through a mutual acquaintance of mine and a member of the design team. He requested additional information on my background, which I provided, and shortly after I was reached out to by a requiter who wanted to schedule a time to set up an initial call. I felt that call went well, we talked process and technologies used.

I was reached out to again by the requiter to set up a longer Skype interview. They also asked that I prepare a presentation on a finished piece of work, as well as develop a flow for an improved or new feature for their product. Spec work. I completed the assignments, spending what I felt was a reasonable amount of time on each. During the Skype call, a room with the entirety of the small design team, I presented my work, and fielded questions. The follow up questions seemed to allude that I did not spend enough time on their spec work, and questioned my knowledge of the product itself. It was a very tense interview, and left me with a bad taste at the end. The next day I was notified that would not be moving forward with the process.

Interview Questions

• Throughout the interview, they seemed to be more interested in tricking and stumping me, then finding out who I am and how I think as a designer. It's no wonder that they keep their team very small.   Answer Question

Customer Support Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Disqus in June 2011.

Interview

I have applied for the position online. About three weeks later, I have received an email from the interviewer/hiring manager. The phone interview was scheduled on the following day at 11:30 AM. It was the worst phone interview I have experienced in my professional life. I would not apply for a position at this company again based on this experience.

The interviewer/hiring manager was unprofessional. He has called me about 45 minutes late, but he did not even bother to apologize. It's just common courtesy. During the interview, I already knew that I would not want to work for a boss like him. He sounded like a very smart techie who's lack of social skills. He was mocking my questions about the company. I could not get a straight answer from him. He just told me that I would get the answer if I was hired. Seemed like he had someone to hire in mind already and just interviewed me for the sake of interviewing a candidate.

I still sent an email to thank him for spending his time to interview me on that day. More than a year later, he sent me an invitation to connect with him on LinkedIn. I did not respond to his request because I would not be professionally connected with any non-professional.

Senior Python Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Disqus (San Francisco, CA) in April 2012.

Interview

Good job advert - they used native Stackoverflow Careers rather than simply using it as an advertising board which is always a good sign. Good interview management, excellent communication. For one of the interviews they forgot (it's a small startup after all), so I sent an email 15 mins after it was supposed to start and in fairness to them they rang through five mins later with lots of apologies their end.

The first interview was with one of the founders, mostly centered on general philosophy of engineering and such. I had worked on a cloud based startup written mostly in Python last year, so that was an excellent framework for discussion. We went quite far outside just that though, went into the future of computing and such.

The second interview was a phone based coding exercise. The guy interviewing was much more competent than the average I experienced during second stage interviews with US tech companies, and he really knew his stuff. I almost certainly came across as a python newbie, forgetting things like namedtuple() is a factory and you must do namedtuple()() to actually instantiate it. I also made what he'd think a mistake where I used dictionaries where sets was a better fit, and he later used set intersection to avoid writing a filtering loop. He was right that by pushing into the C implementation it's likely much faster for small item counts, but how well that scales with item count I can't say and I can see how a set implementation might not scale as well as a dictionary. However, fair enough, the fact I don't know shows my inexperience with python!

The third stage was asking me to complete a model solution to a fairly hard problem, something which would have taken a full day of my time. I knew if they were asking me that then my coding abilities were in doubt. I run a busy IT consultancy firm, and I don't on principle code for free or else I'd never make any money, so I would on principle refuse to write model answers without them at least paying something e.g. a flight out onto their premises for a face to face, or something like that.

I liked the company, and I liked their engineers, so rather than flatly refuse I postponed it to the following week. A few days later they said the position was no longer available, which was fair enough.

All in all they were among the best of the Silicon Valley startups I interviewed with. From what I saw, competently run, with competent engineers.

Interview Questions

• Write a Unix glob implementation in python. Globbing lets you use * for zero or more characters, ? for a single character, [] for a character range.   1 Answer