ESPN Software Engineer II Interview Questions | Glassdoor

ESPN Software Engineer II Interview Questions

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ESPN (Bristol, CT) in March 2016.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted within three weeks for a phone screen with a technical recruiter (took this long mostly because I was out of the country for work and informed them of that). I was given a coding project (creating something in CSS/HTML, and contacting an endpoint to get data and parsing it) for 48 hours. I interviewed at the Bristol, CT campus where I met with four team members (two hour long sessions with two interviewers). I have between three to four years of software engineering experience, and am completing my master's in software engineering, however did not have as much experience in the technology they were using. The first panel asked questions about my background, interesting projects I worked on/was working on, and asked some high level technical questions (regarding programming languages, how I used them, how do I decide what technology to use, etc). The second panel too went into my background, but was a combination of personality/technical questions. I was asked to perform some coding exercises (debugging/improving code, writing a small program to take certain inputs and perform a GUI task related to them, update a table based on JSON inputs, etc). I was asked about times where someone in a group may not have pulled their weight and what we did as a team to overcome it, how do I choose new technologies, my experience with repositories, and other probing questions relating to my personality or how I solve technical problems. If I got stuck on a question (since it wasn’t really part of my background), they would talk me through it until it clicked in my head what to do (they never gave an exact answer, they wanted to see if nudged could I come to it myself using other knowledge that I had).

The interview process was very organized between the technical recruiter and hiring manager, and the team was very friendly and it was a good interview. It wasn’t stressful, and they didn’t expect you to know everything (they expected the basics and to see if you could piece those together to figure out something you may not know already). I would say the interview was more to test your thought process in regards to problem solving rather than already knowing how to solve the problem.

Interview Questions

• Tell us of a time you were working on a project and someone missed a deadline, how did you handle it?   Answer Question
  • In previous projects (work or school), how did you keep yourself and team members on time?   Answer Question
  • Given a JSON file, update an HTML table with the parsed data from the JSON file.   Answer Question
  • Contact an endpoint, and parse the data and display totals in HTML.   1 Answer
  • Tell us of an "ah-ha!" moment after struggling to figure something out. How did you come to that moment?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for ESPN

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ESPN (Bristol, CT) in September 2013.

Interview

Spent a day in Bristol. Met with 5 different groups of 2 to 3 people for roughly an hour each. We broke for lunch which involved a 6th group of people doing a casual interview at lunch. Following the interview i was given a tour of the campus and shown some of the sets in case I was never back there, itd seemed worth seeing.

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ESPN (Bristol, CT) in April 2013.

Interview

A few phone interviews then fly into Bristol for a day of interviews. Similar questions to other sofware compaines. Not as difficult as amazon/google/other silicon valley big boys, but tougher than software consulting firms. Some sports questions as well to gauge interest in sports. Dont fake your way through the sports questions, much better to admit if you dont care about sports, its not a big deal people just dont want to work with a fabricator. I didnt do any negotiating with the offer

Software Engineer II Interview

Interview

I did not get to the interview process. The recruiter insisted that I would have to reveal my salary history prior to moving forward in the process. My personal policy is never to do this, and almost all recruiters eventually respect this. From this recruiter, I got this load of bull:

"...I discussed our conversation with my superiors. Unfortunately in order to proceed I would at least need your salary history. The rationale is that we need to be sure we are placing people who fit appropriately with the how the other members of the team are compensated, that we will be able to give appropriate raises and that we will be able to retain talent for an extended period. From a recruitment perspective we are generally trying to push the needle up for salaries so we can get the best talent in the door."

Interview Questions

• What is your salary history?   1 Answer