Elementum Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Elementum Interview Questions

Interviews at Elementum

2.9

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Elementum in July 2014.

Interview

I got a call from recruiter. She is very nice and a phone screen followed within a week. The phone interview was easy going. I got invited to the on-site interview. There was a coding exercise. I was put into a room with a Mac and a sheet of coding exercise questions. After that, there were 2 interviewers to review the coding. I coded my answer and ran it, it works. The problem with me was that the interviewers had no clue of what the coding question was, and he did not understand the solution. One of them did not know the language that I was asked to use (Python at that time). They seemed in the odd positions to interview me.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Elementum.

Interview

I sent my resume on Indeed for this company, and very soon I received the email from the talent acquisition team ask me to have a 30 minute phone interview. After this one from a recruiter, I was informed to have a 45-minute technical phone interview next.
    All this process is very efficient and soon, I didn't wait too long.
    After the technical interview, in about 2-3 days, I got the refuse email.

i will write the questions they asked during the 2 phone calls in the next section.

the one who is responsible of contacting me is very nice, I emailed her several times and she replied me kindly and told me information I asked in detail.
    the one who is in charge of my technical interview was very nice at the beginning, however, as it went on, maybe due to my performance was not so satisfying, he turned a little lack of patience slowly. I can feel it obviously. But I could understand, maybe my disappointing coding

in my opinion, this is a small but active company doing some promising stuff.
    the working environment is attractive and welcoming, I feel like.

Interview Questions

• the 1st:
      talk about me and my resume stuff, ask me how did I know about their company
      the 2nd:
      binary search tree, find the max one;
      reverse a string in different ways   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Elementum.

Interview

direct on site interview.Given a coding problem first that i had to execute on a laptop followed by whiteboarding.Nothing difficult except the fact that i was giving the on site interview the second time which i thought was not fair or bad management. Had given the interview the first time around and was told i had done well they didn't make an offer since they didn't have budget. Don't know why interview me in the first place.

Interview Questions

• Given a string find all permutations. Given a value and denominations,find least denominations to get change.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Elementum (Mountain View, CA) in August 2013.

Interview

I got the interview through a recruiter. I was scheduled for a phone interview. The interview was done by a Lead Engineer who was friendly and to the point. After that I was called for a in person interview. They have a very nice office in Mountain View, CA. HR lady was very friendly. Then I met with their Lead and Product Manager who were very nice and professional. I was asked questions about my background and some architectural questions which I answered without a problem. Then came two developers who very pretty young. The attitude of them were super unprofessional. Looked like one of them, wanted to prove a point. He didn't eve know the answers to the question, but wanted to prove I was wrong. He asked me a algorithm question which wrote immediately but the guy didn't agree. I even challenged the guy and he seemed clueless. He asked me a lot of irrelevant questions which made no sense. He laughed at everything I said or wrote and would cut me off on everything I said. The guy even tore my resume in front of me saying that he would trash it anyways.. At that point, I told him not to waste my time and let me go. Then, the other guy intervened and said he didn't mean it that way. Anyways, long story short, the interview process with these two monkeys was completely unprofessional. God knows whats going to happen if you worked with these guys. It is not that the guy knew a lot of technology but was certain that he wont hire anyone who is smarter that him. I would stay away from these bunch of jokers.

Interview Questions

• Given a number, find the sum of all multiples of 3 & 5. -- the guy didnt the algo himself and wanted me to use the formula. What is a Size of the ArrayList Object that contains 100K Long objects. He wanted the exact number. I don't know how many times one needs such a information on a daily basis. What is volatile? What is closed and open hashing? I explained Separate chaining and Linear probing, the guy didnt know it is the same as what i explained. He said java uses closed hashing which is again wrong as it uses open hashing.   Answer Question

Elementum Response

Oct 3, 2013 – Recruiting

We greatly appreciate the feedback and are very apologetic for the experience described. This in no way reflects the type of candidate experience we aim to provide and runs counter to our culture and... More

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Elementum.

Interview

I applied online. Got a confirmation email that my info was received. Several months have passed -- and I still haven't received a reply. I tried following up with someone -- emails don't bounce but no reply. Seems rather rude.

Interview Questions

• None. Never bothered to even reply.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Elementum (San Francisco, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

Tidy process, a little bit long but it was very organized and interviewers were friendly. The follow up and feedback were always constant and very helpful. The process goes like this: Phone Screen (30 min), Face to face interview (45 min) and then an interview panel, with several engineers (2 hours). After that, offer is rolled out.

Interview Questions

• What was your greatest challenge?   1 Answer

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Elementum (Mountain View, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

Initial HR phone screen, technical phone screen with developer, ~2hr Angular/SASS/Grunt/Git homework coding challenge, ~4hr on-site with series of 1:1 interviews with team concluding with sitting in on a team meeting. Less than 10 days from first contact to offer.

Very positive and welcoming team and very practical, 'real-world' technical interview.

Interview Questions

• Examine a Rails + Mongoose/MongoDB internal app and understand/explain the code quickly   2 Answers
    • Replace a hard-coded area of the company website with dynamically generated content   2 Answers

Analytics Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Elementum in March 2014.

Interview

I applied by contacting a Recruiter directly. The recruiting team was extremely professional and quick on following-up, which was much appreciated. Had an initial phone screening followed by two rounds of on-site interview. Was contacted ~2 days after the last interview with a offer from the hiring manager. Overall, was impressed with the fast turnaround and professionalism of the recruiting and hiring team.

Interview Questions

• Standard questions on previous experiences, behavioral-based interview questions, and job-role fit.   1 Answer

Senior Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Elementum (Mountain View, CA) in July 2018.

Interview

In-person interview after the recruiter's call. 4 different engineers meet one after another. Couple of coding and couple of design questions.
    1) Parse Tree: The interviewer seemed that he prepared the questions but the instructions were misleading. Explained the solution first by writing the solution in notepad. The interviewer mentioned that the solution works and asked me to code in the laptop. The coding was done in a laptop that is not setup with all the required tools. Ran out of time. He is the only one who showed full interest in finding out the actual skill set of the interviewee.
    2) Merge sorted List: The engineer was not interested in discussing the solution, before coding. He wanted me to write code on the board. After writing code, started discussing. Looked like something else going on his mind. His thoughts were not organized, as I challenged him. Thought it is a 10min solution but took the whole time and walked out. I was sure that he didn't have any clue why he is intereviewing.
    3) Design Shopping cart - random discussions.
    4) Design Uber - Interviewer kept changing questions once you start answering. I ended up writing question on the board first before I started. He was interested in the data structure to locate the available drivers in the region/neighbourhood. I explained the geohash, hilbert curves, quadtree and the boundary box and also sited a white paper. But it appeared that he expected the word 'quadtree'.

Interview Questions

• 1. You are given a sequence of characters without any spaces (Ilovetoeattandoorichicken) and a set of words like (I love toe tan tandoori door chick to at eat chicken). Find all possible sentences from the jammed together character sequence. (Ilovetoeattandoorichicken -> "I love to eat tandoori chicken", "I love toe at tan door", etc).
      2. Merge two sorted List containing integers.
      3. Design Shopping cart
      4. Design Uber system   1 Answer

Business Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Elementum (Mountain View, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Good experience during interviews, but hiring process lacks maturity.

1st phone screen w/recruiter
    2nd phone screen w/hiring manager
    In-person interviews w/4 team members + presentation on a previously completed project

Meaningful questions and discussion, and personable people all around. Based on my impressions, would be a great team to work with.

However, I was in contact with 5 different people via email throughout the process (passed between recruiters & coordinators, and hiring manager). Resulted in scheduling issues during the process and confusing feedback at the end.

Was ultimately rejected on lack of supply chain specific experience, though I had been assured that wasn't an issue during the phone screens. Further inquiries received no meaningful response.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your experience with change management?   1 Answer
    • What interests you about supply chain?   1 Answer