Elementum Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Elementum CEO Nader Mikhail
Nader Mikhail

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I can make a big difference in increasing supply chain performance while lessening human environmental impact" (in 24 reviews)

• "Working environment are very comfortable" (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "Not an environment for someone who is not adaptable and cannot keep up with fast-paced environment" (in 8 reviews)

• "Growing pains, recruiting is happening fast and they need to catch up with getting more space, and organize onboarding" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Elementum is a Best Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Elementum full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

+ High confidence in future success. I have been at the company for over three years. Through the ups and downs, I have never had more confidence in the direction we're heading and our future success. We try things. Admit mistakes. Learn fast. Iterate. We're honest about our weaknesses and are doubling down on our strengths.

+ High confidence in mgmt. I have seen upper management take the hit while making the right decision for the company. Whether it was related to company bonuses, OKRs, admitting personal failures. It is not a culture of machismo or needing to be the smartest person in the room.

+ High confidence in cultural values. The DNA of the company sets us apart and sets us up to succeed in the long term. Success of the company > success of the individual. The best ideas win. We can operate in ambiguity and thrive in volatility.

Cons

- We know we need to get better at repeatability and process to move quickly and scale. This is nothing unique to rapidly growing companies, but the evolving environment can be challenging for some.

- It's a team sport at Elementum. Any ego will show up and be rigorously cut down. The best ideas win. If you feel the need to justify your own existence or need to take the credit or pass the buck, you will not fit in at this company.

Advice to Management

* Don't underestimate the positive cultural impact of you genuinely, publicly admitting your own short-comings.

* Stay focused on what matters, and help us filter out everything that doesn't.

* Don't underestimate the positive cultural impact of BBQs.

"A lot of raw magic, a few problems, about to round the corner"

I have been working at Elementum full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The things that have kept me happy and engaged at Elementum are the relationships (real friends and good work friends), knowing the people I work for and with value my work and see my potential, and the confidence that our vision/product can truly tackle a huge problem and create a lot of value. All the typical Silicon Valley tech perks are solid too - food, offices, unlimited PTO etc. Well funded, top tier customers, very strong board.

Cons

Like all companies, ours represents the best and worst of the leadership, especially CEO. CEO is charismatic, visionary, fast with a laugh, persuasive yet also seen as inconsistent/short attention span in strategic initiatives. As a result, we fundraise well (which can cover up other deficiencies) and we land big sales deals, but the core focus shifts and the exec team doesn't invest enough time to tell everyone why. Leadership has made hard choices in the last 6 months and realized we're not as mature of a company as our org structure and headcount suggests. We hired too fast in 2017 and in 2018, we've adjusted. Management should have done that all in one swing, not in waves. We have to hire more people to support additional customers, so the customer experience team needs to become more scalable, efficient. The product/engineering organization ought to do more customer validation rather than focus on functionality and be more concerned about burn-out risk. The HR organization needs to be more people-centric (appreciate employees) and have a strategy for building a sustainable organization. Many of those 'cons' are common across organizations scaling or pivoting.

Advice to Management

Engage more directly with the team. People only know what you tell them (and when they don't know, they make up stories to fill in the blanks). Returning to more frequent all-hands meetings is a good step. But more than all-hands, you need to go to team meetings, swing by people's desk, sit for lunch with whomever is around, share monthly updates on key priorities, have every function do a quarter in review update to everyone, have every executive do small group coffees or dinners with random groups of employees. Set OKRs for the exec team around engaging with the team, especially when the morale is brittle right now.
    Be more consistent in your messaging too, when you say you loved the old days when everyone worked hard and didn't complain and in the same speech say you genuinely want to hear feedback from the team about how we can improve, that's confusing. Do you or do you not want to hear it?
    If employees are as important as you say, invest in resources like training for new managers, clarity on how promotions work, give teams more recruiting and HR support, provide more incentive rewards.
    There is a ton of raw material for excellence here. Talent, passion, drive, funding, great hearts, and at the same time some things are going awry. Topics like communication, engagement, culture, morale -- they need as much attention and DRIs as other business critical activities like selling, fundraising, coding. I hope to see that in Q3.

"Join, you will love it"

I have been working at Elementum full-time

Pros

Overall, great company and amazing group of people to work with. Super smart, genuine and a joy to be around. The expectations are high and the bar is definitely raised, but we are here to change the world and not skate by. I am inspired every day I come to work and the level of engagement with management is unlike anywhere I worked. Management truly cares, is receptive to feedback and implementing changes immediately following input.

Cons

Company grew too fast, but processes and alignment of teams did not catch up. It's a con if you look at it that way, or an opportunity to join and help shape the future.

Advice to Management

Empower employees even more than you do today.

"Rewarding top talent"

Pros

The company rolled out a new bonus program that rewards high performers by more than doubling your bonus target in the quarter. This is a change from previous model where everyone on the team got the same no matter how much they contributed.

Cons

There is a lot of work to be done and the pace can sometimes become too intense for some. Good place to be if you like moving fast.

Advice to Management

Communicate. Communicate. Communicate. Your making really good changes but don’t forget to keep us all in the loop on the “why”.

"Company"

I have been working at Elementum full-time

Pros

Transparent, humble culture with management that is willing to list to employees

Cons

Intense and really fast paced

"CX - Customer on boarding team MV"

I have been working at Elementum full-time

Pros

A good problem to solve and simplify (Supply chain)
    Vision to make it easier for customers to manage their Supply chain and focus on what is important

Cons

One of the most important and crucial team managing incoming data (Customer on boarding) being mis managed by the most inexperienced managers.

The exits have started and the cracks have started showing.

A team with very low morale due to leadership. Absolutely no career path or clear guidance to help promote people within the team. CX managers/directors do not interact with the team. Not a good sign for a growing company.

Managers play politics to keep the team guessing on what is going on.
    Projects are being sent off shore and only when there is an issue the MV team is involved in the last minute to save the project.

Advice to Management

The CX on boarding team needs some serious overhaul.
    You cannot hide under the "Growing Pains" umbrella anymore.
    This is beyond "Growing Pains" and a serious issue.
    You need to understand what is really going on behind the scenes, before more experienced and hard working people start looking to leave.

7. "The bar is raised"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Elementum (More than a year)

Pros

The company is upping the talent bar and despite all the complaining by those who don't meet the bar...it's clear that execution is way up.

Top performers can make incredible bonuses well above target. Finally a company that gets it.

Some of the best benefits (salary / bonus / equity / healthcare / 401k / gym membership)

Cons

Not a place to hang out and collect a paycheck.

Advice to Management

After years of patting people on the back for "effort", you made the tough calls to uplevel across the company. Don't get discouraged by the complainers.

"STAY AWAY FROM CX (Customer Experience)"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Elementum full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- As a company - Great vision, Great Values (on Paper)
    - Product has great potential
    - CEO is a great guy. But I'm sure he isn't aware what's happening in the company at ground level any more.

Cons

****NEPOTISM ****
    - New Directors/Heads hiring people from their past and making them managers who have no idea what it takes in terms of efforts.
    - Lack of encouragement from leadership.
    - Only Talkers get rewarded than Doers.

Advice to Management

- Don't look for big time business school MBA's to handle the technical teams who have no idea about the process/efforts instead look for an experience professional in that particular technical field.
    - Please understand the processes at the ground level and encourage the right people.
    - Majority of the employees are living under the fear of job security who needs a pat on back for the work they do and get rid of the barriers between employees and leadership.
    - And finally please don't encourage NEPOTISM

Elementum Response

Jul 10, 2018 – Head of Growth

Thank you for your raising your concerns; what you have described is not aligned with our cultural values or business practices and we take these reports very seriously. I would appreciate it if you... More

"Sinking Ship"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Elementum full-time

Pros

Ambitious mission
    Catered lunches
    The new office is nice
    Dev team in Buenos Aires is talented and a good investment

Cons

Very exciting place to be a few years ago, but it's now become evident that they can't achieve their ambitious goals. The "product graph" never actually came together in the way we had hoped. The remains are a bunch of tech debt and constant challenges in releasing code.

Engineering leadership is VERY POLITICAL. People are hired and fired based on how much they agree with leadership. They assume they know everything and make knee-jerk decisions without understanding the impact. Definitely burning out people and I know of several looking for jobs elsewhere.

Product team has MAJOR TURNOVER. No clear strategy and they act very beat down.

The executive team seems desperate. Have acknowledged that there's been a lot of trouble getting sales and keeping our remaining customers happy. The result is a "strategy" that changes frequently + ridiculous timelines to execute so they can show progress for the next board meeting (when I assume their jobs are on the line...)

Advice to Management

I advise the board of directors to replace top leadership and look for acquisition by a company with more supply chain and graph technology experience.

"Leadership needs to own up to its failures"

I worked at Elementum full-time

Pros

- Free daily catered lunches that accommodates multiple diets
    - Amazing new office
    - Dog friendly
    - Health, vision, dental, and unlimited PTO benefits
    - Great Location
    - Awesome Argentina staff
    - Talented employees with great personalities

Cons

- Claims to reward tenure but turnover is so bad that everyone is either fired or leaves by the time they get to 4 years (the only exception is leadership)
    - Preaches transparency, but reduces all hands meetings to only once a month
    - Frequent scrutiny of the sales team that leads to lay offs and reorganization despite nothing happening to it's head of sales to spur real change
    - Misuse of resources: unnecessary offices, retaining employees that show little value, firing people based on politics vs merits, aggressively hiring 150+ new employees under damaging and false success forecasting
    - Marketing messaging changes frequently, causing huge discrepancies between what is sold and what the product can actually do
    - Poor morale as culture and personality declines and benefits are taken away like yoga, massages, or 401k matching

Advice to Management

Stop shifting department heads and leadership around. Instead, hold higher ups more accountable especially in sales, and product. The constant changes just distracts and further strays the company away from the focus it needs.

Acknowledge the falling morale and do something about it unless you want turnover to get any worse.