Elementum Reviews | Glassdoor

4.5
Elementum CEO Nader Mikhail
Nader Mikhail

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I can make a big difference in increasing supply chain performance while lessening human environmental impact (in 25 reviews)

• Working environment are very comfortable (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Fast paced- company going through massive growth :) (in 7 reviews)

• Growing pains, recruiting is happening fast and they need to catch up with getting more space, and organize onboarding (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great startup!"

I have been working at Elementum full-time

Pros

* Honest management, open to feedback, willing to admit mistakes and make hard decisions for the success of the company
    * Everyone on my team is smart, hardworking, supportive, and humble

Cons

Some hiring managers/recruiters are not upfront enough that this is a startup, and people who are more concerned with what the company will do for them, than with what they can bring to the table are NOT a good fit!

Advice to Management

Ignore the whiners and victims (and do a better job of not hiring as many!)

"Making the right calls"

Pros

After growing 3x in 2017, it was clear that the processes across the company needed to mature. It’s starting to improve across the board.

The focus on Product Availability is awesome. Our focus is all about helping the biggest brands in the world to deliver a world-class customer experience. Right product, right time, right place, right quantity. It’s powerful.

Cons

Every team hired a lot of people last year and it was obvious that some people weren’t pulling their weight or weren’t scaling with the company. That resulted in a dozen or so people being let go recently. I credit the managers with making the tough calls because it shows that performance is valued.

Advice to Management

Maintain the open and transparent culture even as we grow. That’s what keeps us working hard, yet having fun. It’s the special thing about Elementum.

"Still the best culture & upside opportunity in the valley!"

I have been working at Elementum full-time

Pros

1) I've been at two established companies and three startups before and Elementum has the best culture and people, hands down. Talented people who work hard, help each other out, and don't take themselves too seriously -- just check out their glassdoor awards vids

2) This isn't another mobile phone game startup. Elementum is going after a multi-trillion dollar opportunity and has heavy-hitting investors and board that get us connected with C-level executives at Fortune 1000 companies. Almost all of our customers have signed multi-year, multi-million-dollar deals.

Cons

We grew too fast in 2017, and hired too many people. And some of those people aren't right for startup/early scale companies. If you care mostly about stability, mature processes and infrastructure, please do NOT join a startup!

Advice to Management

Don't waste time with entitled whiners, focus on supporting/empowering employees who are motivated and hungry to prove/improve themselves!

4. "I wanted bold and that's what I got"

I have been working at Elementum full-time

Pros

Elementum is going to drive the world's autonomous supply chain. I love the bold vision, and I've learned to appreciate the relentless effort to get there.

I've had more personal impact at Elementum than any place before. They really reward innovative thinking and bold ideas. "Act like an owner" is a common saying that I've grown to embrace.

The culture is intoxicating. It's this weird mix of light-heartedness with unapologetic intensity. We're doing something for the first time, so we've got to laugh at our own mistakes. At the same time, we're supporting some of the biggest companies in the world. We've got to make them successful!

Cons

It seems like we change course quite a bit. At first this was frustrating, but now I realize it's part of doing something big. If it was easy, someone wold've done it before. I'm really encouraged by the latest focus and traction.

The hours are flexible, but I work A LOT. This is not a 9-5 job.

Advice to Management

Stay focused but stay aggressive. We're on the right path. Let's double-down and go faster!

5. "Momentum"

I have been working at Elementum full-time

Pros

This company is clearly the most exciting in the world of supply chain software, driving successful transformations at G1000 companies that must up-level their games to compete in the world where it’s all about customer experience

Cons

If you have high energy and are fast paced, you’ll thrive in Elementum and come to the office each day fired up.

Advice to Management

Don’t slow down, at all. Customers a hungry for what you offer. If anything double down.

"Great Place to learn"

Pros

Fast paced and challenging environment, with opportunity to try new things.

Cons

Firefighting and lack of processes at this stage are slowing the growth of the company

"Fake Transparency"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Elementum full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Free lunches
    -Pets at work
    -Unlimited PTO
    -Some really smart individual contributors and the few left who are still trying to uphold the old culture.

Cons

-Absolutely no transparency from leadership.
    -Had company wide layoffs despite claims of being okay financially.
    -Layoffs ranged from loyal employees who’ve been there since the beginning to new team members.
    -Lack of sales causing budget cuts throughout company. Cuts in benefits, perks and bonus payouts.
    -401K matching changed to VEST per year of employment.
    -Hiring is in a freeze despite having a second and third building “opening” up. Money going down the drain to keep the buildings leased with no new employees to fill.
    -Little to no opportunities for growth.
    -Company writes fake five star reviews to cover up any constructive criticism that pass through.
    -As much as they want to pretend it is, the company culture is no longer what it used to be and is now an environment where employees are afraid if they’ll be in the next batch of people laid off.

Advice to Management

Stop pretending like everything’s okay and own your mistakes.

"This place is a zoo...not a company!"

I worked at Elementum full-time

Pros

-Unlimited PTO
    -Bring your pets to work
    -Catered lunches
    -Some really nice and talented people

Cons

-Product isn’t delivering and customers keep getting upset due to empty promises
    -Upper management is completely inexperienced and it shows
    -Lack of transparency with employees and customers
    -Terrible politics
    -Not much structure within the company and things are always being moved around
    -There are some employees that barely work and are clearly still there because upper management favors them

Advice to Management

-Bring in experienced professionals that actually know how to run a team and company
    -Leadership needs to be honest with customers about what their product can and can’t do
    -Stop with the favoritism & politics
    -Vet out the employees that actually aren’t adding value to the company and bring in more real talent

"Toughest Job I've Ever loved!"

I have been working at Elementum full-time

Pros

Crazy big problems to solve -- supply chain management is a multi-trillion dollar space that no Enterprise SW or SaaS company has ever really made a dent in. Ripe for disruption with the right product and tech stack.

The people (for the most part) are incredible -- everyone has your back, even when the sh!t hits the fan and you're trying to fix a customer issue late on a Saturday, there's a culture of teamwork, grit, and humor that makes it easier. Finger-pointing and big egos are not tolerated here.

Cons

Big customers and big deals come with big expectations.
    Good for people who like challenges and can handle fast-paced changes, but not a place for the faint of heart.

Advice to Management

Be more careful hiring people from mature/established software companies. If they have never been at a startup, and they expect well-defined processes (instead of being willing to help experiment and iterate to find the right process), we shouldn't be hiring them (at least not for another few years)

"Don't believe the hype"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Elementum full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Some very talented individual contributors with amazing vision.
    -Large deals with large respectable clients with household names.
    -Good to high base salaries. Not the best, but far from underpaying employees.
    -Very good equity packages.

Cons

-The smart people are unfortunately surrounded by people that don't know what they are doing and riding the coat tails of the successful engineers.
    -Taking away good benefits and making them worse (looking at your 401k match)
    -Everyone is stretched incredibly thin and is juggling way too many balls in the air at once, doing the job of at least 2 or more people, while management is entirely oblivious to this fact and keeps committing to more and more unattainable deliverables.
    -Has no idea what standards, procedures, or protocols are and how to follow them.
    -Fake transparency. Will pass along information when it's good, and conceal information when it's not so great.
    -Regularly has teams working until 3-4AM because the systems are not stable or because leadership committed to a ridiculous deliverable for a new/on-edge client. Then holds meetings to say we will learn from this - that it's a true sign of our "relentless" attitude and how "committed" all of our individual contributors are.
    -Every time there is a round of working late nights/early mornings for unrealistic deliverables for a client, there is a round of employee firings after the emergency fizzles out. A true sign that management doesn't take ownership of the situation they are putting everyone in.
    -Typical valley CEO-syndrome. Knows what to say, when to say it, and how to deliver the message to be like-able by everyone. I'll admit it, I'm inspired and truly believe it after hearing him speak. However, fails in every aspect when it comes to actually enforcing the change necessary or implementing what is talked about. Nothing ever changes.
    -For a company 5 years into it's existence, I would have expected significantly more clientele. I would not have joined if I knew the current landscape.
    -Stop cutting corners everywhere. People that have no business questioning things need to stop questioning things.
    -You are constantly reminded to go like the CEO's social media posts. How does the company get an accurate grasp on your market reach when all of your social media clicks are internal?

Advice to Management

-Upper management is incredibly inexperienced and it shows. This company can't keep trying to act like a real player or a fortune 100 company and keep winging it like this, it's destined for failure. Get rid of your entire upper management chain and bring in experienced leadership. Trying to keep the same culture and leadership you had when you were 50 employees clearly isn't working and you couldn't be more oblivious. I understand the want to "pay back" the original few for what current success you have because they most definitely played a part in that, but please do not involve them anymore in making decisions that impact the direction of the company...because every decision is made and unmade at least 30 times before completely throwing it out the window. This doesn't work and will lead to the company's eventual downfall.
    -When a team doesn't deliver on a project, management needs to learn self-reflection and take responsibility rather than always searching for somebody to blame and fire.
    -Get out of the way of the people you hire and let them do their jobs. There is so much nitpicking and unnecessary cross-functional team involvement that you would think we have 20,000 employees. It's not collaborative, it's not disruptive, it's chaotic and it just slows everyone down. This is where the company would claim "We thrive on chaos." It's just another excuse to admit there is no policy/procedure in place for anything and you are proud of that fact. There are more roadblocks at this tiny company than at Fortune 10 enterprises. I thought startups were supposed to be flexible and move fast, not slow down.
    -Focus on making your stack stable. It's ridiculous that you have to essentially code-freeze whenever on-boarding a new client because the systems are so unstable. How do you expect to scale out and gain customers daily if you have to stop deployments for days to a week at a time while on-boarding a single new client?
    -Stop using the word "relentless" as an excuse for overworking everyone. It doesn't help with the frustration or burn-out everyone is feeling.

Elementum Response

Dec 22, 2017 – Head of Growth

I’m sorry to hear that you have not had a good experience at Elementum. We’ve always believed the success of our mission depends on the success of our employees, and we invest a lot of thought and... More