Elementum Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Elementum CEO Nader Mikhail
Nader Mikhail

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "People are great to work with and very team oriented" (in 15 reviews)

• "Great technology stack to resolve complex motivating software engineering problems in relation to supply chain" (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • "Not an environment for someone who is not adaptable and cannot keep up with fast-paced environment" (in 9 reviews)

• "Growing pains - not enough resources and new hires need to ramp up quick" (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"It is about time to have a review from a current employee."

Current Employee - Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Elementum full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very good benefit, competitive salary, lots of extra perks and yes our lunches are really amazing.

Cons

Managment takes too long to let under performing employees go. I hope they change that behavior immediately. Here is an example: We had a very weak People Success team for a long time who hired really badly, and as a result of their poor hiring, lots of tier C and D employees were working at Elementum in the past year. I remember having several conversations during our lunches with many of my teammates to find out that lots of them never kept their jobs for more than 1 year. Now, I see many complainers giving Elementum bad reviews but in reality, those former teammates who are writing the vast majority of these past reviews needs to digest that most of you were performing bellow average and that is probably the main reason why most of you are no longer working with at Elementum. Plain and simple.

Advice to Management

Keep being honest with us, I enjoy the return of our weekly all hands meetings where all the Upper Managment team have been consistently transparent about our goals, product, sales, finance and other interesting topics. Yes we had some layoff but so does other companies in Silicon Valley. The vast majority of people who stayed are happy, very productive and still believe in our mission.

I hope our CEO do not get distracted with these hateful reviews from people who don’t even work at Elementum anymore. Until last year his approval rate was 98%. Honestly, I don’t think he had changed much. These waves of bad review definitely does not reflect the CEO true leadership and company’s reality

"Great people, questionable product."

Former Employee - Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Elementum full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Elementum’s culture of light hearted, relentless, pioneers is among the best in the valley. There’s a constant push to be transparent as much as possible from top to bottom. However transparency isn’t all or nothing. I’d say we’re somewhere in the 60-70 range. People before and after the lay-off were in general great to work with. Peers help each other without reservation, little politics (or so it seems), most coworkers are competent, albeit a few weak links.

Great place to learn new things. The company has a very modern tech stack, work here a year or two and you’ll have a very attractive resume.

Lunch has gotten a lot better.
    Benefits, perks, and facilities are great.

Cons

The company’s weakest area is in its products. The features that were said to be in high demand by customers never really got the traction. Repeat this numerous times and down goes morale and confidence in the leaders and PMs.
    The company has been a great place to work for the past few years. But with the lack of confidence in its products, it is not a good time to join.

The company started its decline two years ago when it misread signals and thought they’ve nailed it. Layers of management were hired, who then cross-referred more managements. Then Argentina team grew exponentially all while few engineers were hired in MV. Had Nader talked to some engineers back then about how they feel about all this, we probably wouldn’t have gone down this fast. But I guess he trusted his inner circles too much or pressure from the board was too great. The engineers all knew we weren’t ready to scale in terms of product, infrastructure, and process.

There had also been tension between MV and AR teams. The AR teams were set up with layers of management so they can almost function as an independent company. Yet, they had to work closely on projects with the MV teams and listen to the shots being called from the MV team. As much as I support collaboration among international teams, the #1 rule to reducing tension and improve efficiency in project management is co-location! Most successful anecdotes of international teams requires either the satellite team to be simply a workhorse team and that there is no contest in who calls the shots, or the satellite team to work on projects that has few dependencies on the teams elsewhere.

The number of stocks granted are too low and won’t make anyone rich, period.

Advice to Management

Do skip-levels talks with your employees. Don’t just listen to your managers or directors. Before any expansion plans, talk to people of all departments to see if they also feel the company is ready. Most of the time, the people who gets their hands dirty knows best.
    Acknowledge our failures and share why we made those decisions and what are we going to do to ensure our next decision is better.
    Do the right thing, not what the board wants. If the right thing is to slow down and fix our infra and process, tell it to the board and don’t cave into the pressure.

"Culture Lacks Integrity"

I worked at Elementum full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of nice people, a lot of opportunities for team bonding.
    The product and the problem it's trying to solve, at least in theory, are interesting.
    Some teams enjoy fairly hands-off management and plenty of autonomy.

Cons

The company is struggling to find its footing against several competitors who are doing the same thing, but better. As an engineer or PMM, this could be exciting because there's room for improvement. If you're in sales or marketing, you might feel frustrated that you're peddling a product that's all show and no (or little) substance.
    Constant pivoting to different priorities is lauded as "dynamic" and "just how a fast-growing startup operates." In fact it suggests that the company doesn't really have a clue what it's doing. And an obvious downside to this that other reviews have already pointed out is the regular, unexplained layoffs.
    Even with the above, I would've happily given this company 3 stars. However, there's a huge con that's hard to overlook: an ugly culture. Meetings sometimes turn into gossip sessions about coworkers, and even managers participate in the backbiting. I noticed a lot of passive aggressive behavior that I've never seen in any company, before or since. On the surface, the casual and lighthearted culture Elementum is so proud of seems welcoming. But there's a fine line between being casual and being unprofessional. Elementum's culture crosses that line on a regular basis. If you miss high school, you might enjoy working here.

Advice to Management

Model the culture you want to see. Impromptu BBQs and basketball matches aren't a good substitute for integrity, transparency, and respect for your employees.

"Great Idea just poor execution"

I worked at Elementum full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are great
    Benefits were fantastic
    Lots of food
    Salary were very fare

Cons

Culture is tired and momentum is gone
    Layoffs and people leaving happening way too often
    Communication from the top is no longer happening

Advice to Management

Employees need transparency when things start to go wrong. Own your mistakes, fix them and get back to what made the company a great place to work.

"Another start-up with no foresight in planning"

I worked at Elementum full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice perks-food, snacks, a handful of talented individuals, location near the freeway. It's not all about perks, but the people you work with.

Cons

Unfortunately, the lack of experience in running a business, another start-up hindered the company. Too many offices with empty space due to over-hiring, no real budget in place with $$$ spending not managed correctly and out of control.

Advice to Management

Work on a 5-year business plan, have a budget in place, hiring a diversity of experienced people and not everyone from ivy league schools. Have a cap on spending and open communication is key to success in business.

"Squandered Opportunity"

Former Employee - CX Associate in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - CX Associate in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Elementum full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People: Most people that are NOT management are talented, great to work with and hard working.

Free Lunch: The only pro here is that its free (but beggars can't be choosers, right?)

PTO: Take as many days off as you can and look use it to find another job

Dogs in the office: This was a great perk until they fired all the dog owners

Free Alcohol: DRINK AS MUCH AS YOU CAN, YOU'RE GONNA NEED IT

GREAT for Stanford Grads: You have a chance to be an executive, even if your intellectually inept

Cons

There could be a 10 part docu-series on how bad this company is. I'll try to make this succinct, by major function:

Product: Was a great idea and opportunity to be a "Supply Chain Visibility" tool about 5 years ago. In those 5 years, the product team has see high churn due to poor leadership/bad strategy. They tried to pivot the strategy many times, and it ended up being costly. What ends up happening? No core product, just an expensive BI tool that takes forever to implement. Big fumble on the opportunity.

Operations: Even if you have an underdeveloped product, you can manage a start-up efficiently with crisp operations. From Engineering ops failing to do regression testing on minor releases, HR poorly executing a layoff, CX implementation taking YEARS, unproductive Sales cycles and lead generation to facility operations (they own 3 buildings but only use half of one), its obvious there isnt an operational nugget in this companies business model.

Sales: The only guy really selling is the CEO, hes a great motivator and sales guy. His relationships within the valley give him credibility, his influence on the customer keeps them paying, and he has a big vision/dream that can excite a desperate CSCO who is looking to survive in an evolving market place. Sales guys here are hunters, and you have to be if youre selling something that doesnt really exist.

Marketing: Actually pretty good org, was run well until they hired someone last year who really doesnt do much and seems to be slowing things down. The reason Elementum looks good on paper is that they used to have a killer marketing department.

Engineering: Complete Zoo. No architecture anywhere, poor infrastructure, bad ops, crap code. They really need to re-evaluate the core code, and start throwing pieces of it away. So many different engineers working on different features, who are asked to change direction, Frankenstein the code to make it work on tight timelines. What happens? Everything always breaks and no one knows how to fix it.

CX: Always has been mismanaged, usually some consulting person who has no experience managing people or experience implementing a SAAS solution. Implementation of a product is a fundamental aspect of your solution and WILL be the differentiation between you and other SCSAAS companies. No customer has been completely implemented since the birth of this company.

HR: They accidentally told people that they were let go before they announced a layoff. The worst execution of a massive layoff that I have ever seen in my 10 year career. They arent trustworthy, gossip, spread rumors etc. There were so many obvious HR violations, and nothing was done about it. Lawsuits waiting to happened here. (this is probably where the highschool culture comes from)

Culture: This culture is unique. The ground level guys are great, there is a strong comradery here because everyone feels like they're in it together. The people managing and above however, are terrible. How does this happen? Its simple, no internal promotions. And if you do get a promotion its probably because you went to Stanford, worked with a director, or...ah who am I kidding, they don't promote here. They have all hands meetings where they lie to your face, and don't take your feedback.

Advice to Management

The board should've canned the executive team a long time ago. No direction, mismanagement, shady, incompetent...

Executives: Stop being so arrogant. There are brilliant people that work at Elementum that deserve to be heard and empowered. Stop wasting money on silly lunches and expensive off sites. Find a core solution, stick with it, and build it out. Come down to earth and realize what the opportunity you have/had, and the opportunity you are squandering. I suggest that they all step down and work some real jobs, in real companies, so they know just how off the mark they really are. Leadership delusion, and they make mistakes there is no accountability. There is a "bro" culture among the top guys, and they will protect each other until its all underwater. I guess thats commendable.

Sell the company while you can, the company might still have some value if you guys top touching it

"Hiring spree...Firing spree (don't listen to marketing vouch great culture, they are the problem)"

Former Employee - Sales in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Elementum full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers. Pay. Benefits. Lunches. Typical Bay Area perks

Cons

DO NOT BE FOOLED BY "BEST PLACE TO WORK", the ratings are fake, marketing pushed everyone to vote. See advice to management below

Advice to Management

I find it confusing to create brand new teams of 25+ people, not even have them get fully ramped to turn around and fire EVERYBODY. Let alone all the other newly hired people in 2018... Where was upper management throughout this whole debacle? Who gave the green light to bring in 10 part-time recruiters and have nonstop hiring throughout the whole org in 2018? Mgmt brought on hundreds of new people to just fire.. Elementum is underwater now with spending, no new logos in 2018, no companies actually have a live product, and the main company that Elementum spun off from even decided to distance themselves.

"Dead company..CEO with no moral values"

Current Employee - Product Manager
    Current Employee - Product Manager

I have been working at Elementum full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free food but does that really matter?
    Pets allowed

Cons

Surprisingly I see a couple of good reviews and they are from inner circle of the CEO (Nader)- do not believe them. The CEO a typical smooth talking Sales Rep who became a CEO by an accident. He listens to only what he wants to listen. He has surrounded himself by people like himself who say Yes. The company has lost credibility and momentum because of pathetic management by the CEO. He repeatedly changes corporate and product strategy based on fake deals and fake promises. Then he starts micro managing marketing, sales and product as if he's a pro. No wonder there's new sales, product and engineering heads every 9-12 months. CEO, and his cronies, have no Enterprise experience and don't know how to guide a company who does not have product market fit, so he changes company's direction every 3 months. If 5-6 prospects provides positive feedback, CEO will go crazy and start spreading fake news that we are going to become a billion dollar company. Those prospects never become customers and then Nader has to again cut company expense to save his job. Honesty, Nader / CEO and the fake CFO / Founder have no moral values. They have somehow managed to save their job at the expense of 100s of other hard working employees over several years. What a shame! Other problem is that the platform is totally messed up and only way to fix it is to start all over again..

Advice to Management

Board / investors - what's stopping you to get a new CEO. Aren't 6 years of Nader enough?

"Incompetent CEO Nader Mikhail is sinking (has sunk) the ship, Board blinded by the word "McKinsey""

I worked at Elementum full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No one needs a free lunch this badly.

Cons

It's no fun working at a place going downhill this blindingly fast. Nader Mikhail has burned through enormous piles of investor money, customer goodwill, and damaged employee careers at a dizzying pace. He repeatedly makes rash, poorly conceived strategic decisions, going on half-baked hiring binges only to fire the same individuals and entire teams just a quarter later. Careers and reputations are ruined by his rash decisions. His track record dealing with customers speaks for itself. If he were at Amazon where they want you to Be Right, Most of the Time, he would have been gone 30 decisions ago.

The only voices he listens to are an equally inexperienced inner circle who tout their high IQs as a substitute for actual experience and actively encourage his poor ideas. The rest of leadership (the ones with experience from industry) is a revolving door. There is widespread incredulity among the employees that the Board has allowed this to continue for so long. The market has figured it out, why hasn't the Board? Any blame of the various department heads - product engineering, technical delivery, sales - is misguided and probably misled. The problem is in plain sight at the top.

Advice to Management

Wake up! Nader is no Zuckerberg, Bezos, Jobs, and more importantly, he never will be. Those guys had intuition for product and a savvy for sales. Nader has proven that he the polar opposite of both those things. He doesn't just miss, he misses BIG, repeatedly. What sign of total and prolonged leadership failure are you still waiting to see? The evidence is overwhelming. Where is the duty to shareholders?? Customers??

"Wasted Company"

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Elementum full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits and fully stocked kitchen

Cons

Worst Company with lot of politics