Equilar Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 22, 2017

3.1

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Equilar (Chicago, IL) in August 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter to set up a phone screening for this role. I then moved on to a phone interview with the VP of sales who asked my about my background and my interest in the company, as well as some questions about my interest in their specific products which were somewhat detail-oriented. The recruiter followed up with me saying the VP of sales was very impressed and wanted to move forward with a product demo. I created a powerpoint deck and did a virtual product pitch for the VP of sales. Again, the feedback I received was that he was very impressed with my presentation and our conversation afterward, and that I stood out among all of the other candidates. I was asked to then create an example of an email to a client that involved finding a news article relating to the industry and was given feedback. The VP of sales then asked me to come in for an in-person interview the next day. I came in and spoke with him about the logistics of the role. It was very conversational and positive. The recruiter followed up with me after the fact to let me know that there was again excellent feedback and that I now would have an interview with my potential manager. This call was friendly, informal, and even involved discussing the logistics of when I would be able to start. According to my manager, both of the team members had great reviews of me and felt as though I stood out as a candidate. I was then asked to complete a 20-30 minute skype call with the CEO as the final step. The CEO asked me to walk him through my work history, asked why I was looking to leave my current role, and then asked me if I had questions for him. After my third question, and only about 8 minutes into the call, he essentially cut me off and abruptly shooed me off the call. I found it bizarre considering that everyone I had interviewed with so far had allegedly thought I was an excellent fit for the role, and then the CEO was rather disinterested and almost rude when speaking with me. I got a call the next day that I would not be receiving an offer because the CEO decided to extend an offer to a candidate who did not come from the staffing agency. I wanted to write this review because I feel like the CEO went into the call knowing he would not be making me an offer before ever giving me a chance. I would advise that anyone who interviews here proceed with caution and just be aware that rave reviews from your interviewers may not mean as much as you think it does. This process was very fast-paced and took a lot of effort and preparation. I probably read the website 15 times over.

Interview Questions

• Why are you looking to leave your current role?   1 Answer

Rotational Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Equilar.

Interview

Applied through school, got a phone screen interview after a few weeks. The recruiter messed up the time so he called me three hours after the appointed time without any notification. Then got the next step skype interview with three analysts in the team with some media articles to study before interview. However, 2 hours before the interview, the recruiter found out that they do not hire OPT students for this role and cancelled the interview.

Interview Questions

• Same with the questions on glassdoor. What does Equilar do? What’s your three strength? Why did you choose your major? What are you looking for as a job? What other jobs have you applied?   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Equilar in June 2017.

Interview

Interview process goes pretty much as stated from other candidates. What I found awful is how much time they ask you to put into this process. I think recruiters need to be more selective between round 2 and 3 because the presentation they ask you to put together is a ridiculous amount of preparation for an entry level job.

Interview Questions

• Read the media highlights article they give you because that is the source of all the difficult questions   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Interview

20 minute screening interview first round, second round was 3 short assessments between two 30 minute interviews. Final round was a 15-20 minute presentation. Questions were for the most part based around materials sent prior to the interview or on the company website.

Associate Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Equilar (Redwood City, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

2 and a half months of interviews, phone calls, assessments, told I was receiving an offer. This place will waste your time. Read the REAL company reviews to find out.

Vice President Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Equilar (Redwood City, CA).

Interview

I first met with the most senior executives offsite. They I talked to each person on the executive staff onsite and then was required to present a 90 day plan for the department that I was to manage. In addition, I met with the various senior managers of each department. The HR department was extremely efficient and was always one step ahead of me. Whether it was filling out the application online, the background check or just coordinating the appointments, it was really easy to do.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever re-formed entire departments of a company before?   1 Answer

Negotiation

It was basically all done with the CEO directly. He definitely controls all the purse strings.

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Equilar (Redwood City, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

The application process was streamlined and quick. I applied online and a member of the HR department reached out to me within 24 hours with a request to have a quick 20 minute phone screening just the next day. The phone screening was with a member of the Research department and was a very friendly, non-stressful conversation verifying my academic credentials and reviewing my resume / why I was interested in Equilar. After that, the HR member reached out to me via e-mail to request an in-person 2-2.5 hour interview the next week. The in-person interview had 3 parts.

1) I spoke with a member of the team who clarified what I would be doing. She went into great detail to be as transparent as she could about the job and what I'd be doing as a Research Analyst Intern and I handed her my academic transcript and written job application, which I was requested to fill out and bring. (10-25 minutes)
    2) I was given a 3 part (2 pages for each part) assessment to test basic arithmetic and to check my attention to detail by giving a report filled with grammatical, spelling, and syntax errors and was given ~45 minutes to complete all of it. I'd suggest dividing the time and not spending too much time one one assignment. (45-50 minutes
    3) After the assessment I met with 2 more Research Analysts on the team and they asked questions about the Media Highlights and also asked about what I'd do given a certain situation. The content included Peer Groups, Executive Compensation (Ratio of Equity v. Salary) as an executive and as a stockholder, they reviewed information on my resume. They were both very friendly and not intimidating at all and enjoyed the conversation. (20-35 minutes)

Overall it was a relatively low stress interview process because the interviewers seemed very friendly. However, it was the longest, most thorough interview that I've ever had.

Interview Questions

• If you were a company executive, what kind of ratio would you prefer in regards to equity and stock options. If you were a shareholder, what amount would you prefer the executive to have?   Answer Question
    • What are 3 of your strengths?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about yourself - Where you come from, your upbringing, etc.   Answer Question
    • If you were a company like Target, what other companies would you include in your peer group to help benchmark executive compensation?   Answer Question

Analyst Rotational Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Equilar in January 2017.

Interview

The people are friendly enough in the beginning. A typical phone screening interview, followed by a Skype (or in person) interview with timed assessments. One is using Excel to check for grammatical and numerical errors- if you're detail oriented it's not a problem. The other involves reading a passage on compensation plans and being able to understand it well enough to answer hypothetical questions. The next round involved a 25 minute presentation on a topic of their choosing- I had a week to prepare. It took many hours and the employees seemed disengaged during my presentation and did not give much feedback. That was supposed to be the final round and I never heard back from the company. At that stage in the interview process, that is incredibly disrespectful to put forth that much effort in the interviews just to never hear back about not receiving an offer.

Leadership Rotational Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Equilar (Redwood City, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Went through an onsite interview after meeting the HR at the career fair, had ~1hr behavioral questions and ~1.5hrs paper test, then ~0.5hr more behavioral questions. The test mainly focused on the sensitivity of numbers.

Data Analyst/Leadership Rotation Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Equilar (Redwood City, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

I had three interviews overall. The first interview was a 15 minute phone screening interview that went well. The second interview was 2.5 hours long and included a 45 minute long skills test as well as interviews with two different groups of people. The first two interviews were very casual and the people doing the interviews did not seem to have much experience in giving interviews. The third interview was a presentation and interview with the leader of the department I was applying for. It was much more formal.

Interview Questions

• If a company is underperforming and the CEO is not paid well, would the company receive a failed Say on Pay vote? Why or why not?   Answer Question