Ethan Allen Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Ethan Allen Interview Questions

Updated Mar 24, 2017

2.8

Marketing Interview

Interview

Fun but long like so many other hiring processes. I wouldn't go through it again unless I was sure the job was really interesting. They ask for too much information in this form on the survey.

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Ethan Allen (Salt Lake City, UT) in October 2016.

Interview

Initially I met with the store manager and the meeting covered typical interview questions and information regarding the company. At the end of the interview I was presented with a case study to complete and a date to return and present the case study. The second appointment I presented the case study and was invited to come back and meet the district visual merchandiser and district manager. I was given the impression that I would receive a job offer at that third meeting. I came again for the third meeting (by this time the interview was going on 3 weeks/1 meeting per week). The third meeting was a rehash of the first interview and much more scrutiny on my interior design degree and skills. This was a little odd because I was applying for visual merchandiser not an interior designer position. The district manager asked about my AutoCAD skills and specifics about my internship experience within Interior Design. I received no job offer and felt like they had wasted a lot of my time. I commuted an hour each way for these interviews. I received a call about a week after the third interview and was given an employment offer. I have a Bachelors degree and work experience and was offered less than I made during my internship. Between the time consuming interview process and low wage I turned down the employment offer.

Interior Design Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ethan Allen.

Interview

I posted my resume online , 2 days later I received a call and I had a first interview over the phone than I was asked for an interview on the store but I rejected the job as it is only commission base.

Interview Questions

• Questions were mainly about my experience and education   Answer Question

Design Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Ethan Allen (Cleveland, OH).

Interview

Had a phone conversation and then had to complete a lengthy test over the phone. The phone testing was very lengthy and I had to answer personal questions as well as I.Q. type questions. There were several math problems I had to answer. It was not an easy process, probably the hardest interview process I have ever gone through.

Interview Questions

• Why I wanted to work for the company.   1 Answer

Designer Interview

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Ethan Allen in April 2016.

Interview

Interviewed with Design Center Manager as well as District Manager. Both went well but the background check took over a week after the drug test. The interviews were over a one to two week period, then you have to wait another week for the background check. You must show proof of valid drivers license.

Interview Questions

• How did you overcome a difficult situation with an upset customer in the past?   Answer Question

Delivery Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Ethan Allen.

Interview

The owners were very nice people and they didn't ask many questions. They were very flexible with my hours and helped me get another job elsewhere when I moved out of the state.

Interior Designer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Ethan Allen.

Interview

The first step is to meet with the store manager. The next step is either to meet with a district manager and/or to do a design exercise where you are given one of three different "clients" and told their lifestyle and their sense of style. You use their own proprietary software to layout the room and their products to design the room. You present your designs to the store manager and the district manager as the final step. The design exercise is the final step in the interview process.

Executive Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ethan Allen.

Interview

Very thorough but monotone. The interviewer didn't seem too interested in being in the interview. She merely read a list of questions and jotted down notes. She was not engaged or encouraging of additional information. I personally did not enjoy this style of interview and would hope they would encourage talking and communication.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Interior Design Consultant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Ethan Allen in September 2015.

Interview

Overall experience confusing. Mentioned new store being built so that explains some of it. Not specific. They recited their wishes for the position as a full time designer but they were interviewing me for another position. I would be sending design clients to them from their new outlet store. When new store opened I would go to the new location.

Interview Questions

• Very vague questions. Position in two locations. Applied for full time in one location and was offered part time in another. Site closed a month later.   Answer Question

Waited several weeks to hear from them. Position applied for changed. Overall experience left me wondering about job security.

General Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Ethan Allen (Pleasanton, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Just like working for the company there were too many people in the decision making process. Too much time lapsed between the initial contact and the final offer. This company is micromanaged. It is hard to please so many people in the interview process. They talk as if they are professional however when they did the follow up on prior and current employers I specified not to contact my current employer. They actually called my current employer! This could have cause a lot of problems however I actually picked up the call. The person on the other end had such a heavy accent that it was apparent they were calling from out of the country. The interview process was too long and they didn't follow through with deadlines they set.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if an employee was too full of them selves and did as they wanted to and refused to follow company polices and directives.   1 Answer

Negotiation

The company is average in pay. They sell a upper middle product but don't want to pay for the quality personal. They prefer a lower qualified person who will take less and work more. The person you interview with doesn't have the authority to negotiate. They take what you want and call another person and then relay what they said.