Factual Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.2

1. Featured Interview

Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Factual (Chicago, IL) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied on the company website, and received a phone interview after a week. The pone interview is based on behavior questions. Then, I got an online test. The test is based on regular expressions.

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Factual.

Interview

45 minute technical phone interview, day of 4 onsite technical interviews. All interviews were one-on-one with an hour and a half lunch with 3 people. Brief tour with officer manager first thing and debrief with recruiter at the end of the day.

Interview Questions

• Regex, data validation and merging, sorting algorithms.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Factual (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

I interviewed with Factual in the fall during which I was also interviewing with several other companies. I really enjoyed the interview experience (more detail bellow). Come time to decide among multiple offers Factual really stood out in their professionalism during the entire interview process. They, more than any other company, worked with my career aspirations to carve out a role that was best for me. I really appreciated that. They also compensate competitively with Bay Area tech companies, which goes a long way in LA where cost of living is significantly lower.

Overall I thought the interview process was fairly challenging but not unfair. They tested me on the usual fundamental CS skills (algorithms, data structures, abstract design problems), but they also sprinkled in opportunities to show off knowledge of 'big data' technologies. It's not required to get the offer, but they're a data company that operates on a large scale so they're going to favor candidates who know about Spark, Hadoop, etc. If you have personal experience with that stuff it can go a long way!

Interview Questions

• What are your career goals? How can we help you achieve them?   Answer Question

Data Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Factual.

Interview

Asked a few technical questions that related to my experience. Talked about my experience for a bit, and left some time for questions at the end. Overall fairly enjoyable process.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Factual in November 2017.

Interview

Had two phone interviews, both technical. The first interviewer was nice and we spent time defining some APIs. However, the second interviewer seemed uninterested about what I had to say, and was not engaged whatsoever. We spent some time on a coding question, and he remained quiet the entire time, even when I was stuck. By far, the worst and most awkward phone screen I've experienced.

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Factual in November 2017.

Interview

Process took about a month. First was a take home test that was pretty straightforward. Then two technical screens. I was then invited in for an onsite interview. Had I think 5-6 technical interviews throughout the day. Unfortunately did not receive an offer.

Interview Questions

• A number of regex/web scraping questions.   1 Answer

Product Design Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Factual (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

There were a couple (around 3 to 4) 30 minute phone interviews. First with a team of recruiters/manager, and then with a product designer. The last round was longer with a product designer and someone else on the team (developer).

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Factual (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Extremely time intensive in terms of research and actual time spent interviewing. There are 2 1-2 hour phone interviews before an all day interview on-site. Did like the thoroughness they took, but didn't understand the final result. The entire time they said experience was less important than critical thinking skills and other attributes they valued, but then was told I did not get the job due to my experience. Just didn't make sense at all.

Interview Questions

• More behavioral focused on how you would market their products, which industries to target, etc.   Answer Question

Sep 29, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for sending us your feedback! We are always open to hearing how we can make our recruiting process better. Our interviews are quite rigorous. We take hiring seriously at Factual, and we... More

Technical Solutions Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Factual (Los Angeles, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

Had the normal over the phone interview with the HR person which then lead to an over the phone with the Head Sales Engineer. Just some normal questions on what I did on my day to day at my last company and if I'm familiar with certain technologies. After this was the in person interview. Consisted of meeting with 8 people at various times, I believe 5 of them were from the department I would be going in to. I was there for about 6 and a half hours.

Everyone's interviews went fine except for one individual. Idk what his deal was, but it seemed that he was trying to convince everyone he was familiar with development and scripting when he really wasn't. This is usually okay, but he was also very condescending on top of that, like he hated me for some reason. For example, (Bash question), he said he loved Linux and he wanted me to tell him what would go in to running a Bash script. I told him you need to give the script the correct permissions and make it executable. He LAUGHED and said, "no, and executable is something different". I just looked at him kind of confused. I then tried to explain to him what I meant by executable, but he just cut me off and went on to the next thing he was going to talk about. HE KEPT DOING THIS, would just ask me a question, tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, and before I could explain would just cut me off and go on to his next thing. I was pretty upset that I was being treated in such a manner so for the remainder of his questions I just kept giving him simple 1 word answers. If he asked anything technical, I would just say I don't know it because he would just cut me off again and tell me I'm doing something wrong. Things like draw a database or write out a JSON script. Really weird questions. Last thing he asked me was how to run a Bash script again. I told him in a different manner that you would need to become root with sudo su - then run chmod +x on the script. He asked if I did it in binary with chmod 755 because to him chmod +x is wrong. I wanted to ask him if he knew the difference between +x and 755, but of course he probably didn't and would have just cut me off and laughed again. I had one more interview after that and everything was fine. I ended up complaining about the individual to HR before I left as well.

Got an email 2 days later (Friday) asking to schedule a call for Monday. The email was just regarding my current candidacy status. I was in suspense until Monday morning thinking of what the answer could be. If you make someone wait 3 days, most likely it's decent news. Turns out it was just to tell me that I didn't get the job. Yes, they made me wait 3 days to just say that and gather feedback. I didn't have any other feedback to give. Seriously, just send an email telling the person they didn't get the job and ask if there is any feedback they would like to share.

If they are looking for feedback, I'd just say that they need to make sure that the people who are interviewing are only asking questions that are in their wheelhouse and show the same respect to the candidates as they would show to interviewer. Also, please don't make other wait to hear that they didn't get the job via a phone call, especially 3 days! It really gives them a false sense of hope. Just send them an email saying they didn't get the job and ask them if they would like to schedule time to talk about feedback received or feedback they would like to give. I'm not really upset I didn't get the job, just the way things were handled by various individuals.

Interview Questions

• With whatever language you are comfortable with:
      Sort files in a folder, sort list, sort arrays and combine, use regex for certain things.   Answer Question

Sep 29, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your feedback. I am very disappointed to hear that you had a negative experience during your onsite interviews with us. We take candidate experience seriously at Factual. We’re... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Factual (New York, NY) in September 2017.

Interview

I had a phone screen with the recruiter followed by two phone screens and then the final onsite. I would say that up until and including the first interview i had as part of the onsite was very pleasant. As for the interview process, I think its important to keep a sense of professionalism with regards to a candidate's answer with regards to technical questions. After being unable to answer a question with two interviewers, they tried to abruptly end the interview. Not that one should get their hopes up obviously if they can't answer a question accurately, however it really did make them come off as arrogant. A great example is when one of the interviewers I had expressed his frustration with me not knowing about regex even though I had a web crawling project on my resume. Although regex is an approach, you can also check to see if a specific string is a substring of a larger string. I would've hoped that considering Factual uses a plethora of technologies, that they would realize there are alternative approaches and not just give me the cold shoulder since I didn't know about their approach. Because of this, I decided to drop the ball on the rest of my interviews. One of them said good luck on the job search and finding a fit. From what I could tell about the company during my onsite, expect nothing out of the ordinary from any startup: snacks/drinks, catered meals, not many red tapes to go through, and really just a lot of freedom. As for the questions they asked, without giving anything away, expect something straight from your college level coding textbook, a leetcode medium/hard level question, and two design questions. The design questions were definitely more appropriate for mid/senior level folks. Thus, for anyone applying for a entry level role, I do wish you luck if you are not comfortable in all parts of the stack. Considering not everyone out there is completely full-stack, I guess I do see why there were so many people who got declined an offer on glassdoor and why Factual is the size it is, despite it being almost a decade. As technical interviews don't always show a person's aptitude for success in a company ( for startups, from personal experience, I believe it's really about how much of a self-starter you are), I think Factual should ask more appropriate questions for entry level roles ( most companies do ask OOP design questions). Additionally, it would've been great if more people had asked me about my resume instead of rushing into the technical questions. Lastly, I'd say that really would've appreciated an email instead of a phone call, especially since they had asked for my availability the following week to recap what happened about my status. Taking the time to see what a candidate's schedule is like despite knowing immediately about the feedback from the interviewers is definitely a bad move on their part. I read below that someone from Factual thought it was better to have a phone call than an abrupt email. If that's the case, then why don't most companies do this...? At the end of the day, for anybody else reading this, do remember that companies want more people and aren't deliberately trying to make people fail. It is a learning process, and considering that Factual has been around for almost a decade, I'd imagine their engineering team will stay around the same for a while/into the future whilst growing their sales team. I had heard that engineering is around 40% whilst everyone else being 60%. I don't doubt the possibility that engineering would hit 10% in the future. I do wish them luck in hiring and look forward to seeing what most people say about interviewing with Factual in the future ( I'd imagine I won't be too surprised ).

Interview Questions

• something straight from your college level programming textbook, leetcode medium/hard, two odd design questions which are more appropriate for a mid/senior level engineer   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Factual.

Interview

Had two interviews with Factual: 1 HR, 1 Hiring Manager. Nothing technical at all. just some high level chat on my experience and resume. Although I have got positive feedback from interviewer, I got rejected. They guy that interviewed me was not experienced at all and did not ask even a single technical question. A bit unprofessional.

Sep 29, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your feedback regarding your Data Scientist interview. I am sorry if our interview process wasn't what you were expecting. We do take a somewhat different approach to our phone... More