Factual Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 15, 2018

1. Featured Interview

Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Factual (Chicago, IL) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied on the company website, and received a phone interview after a week. The pone interview is based on behavior questions. Then, I got an online test. The test is based on regular expressions.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Factual.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted back after a few days. Had a brief interview with HR about the position. Afterwards I was required to complete a coding test. After I turned in the test, I was contacted for a phone interview. The interview consisted of basic questions on my experiences and some questions on data structures. It ended with a question about finding the number of businesses through Yelp.

Interview Questions

• How would you use Yelp to find the number of businesses in the US?   15 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Factual.

Interview

Start with initial discussion with HR.
    Technical interview starts with 1 hour phone screen.
    After getting to on-site, includes 4x 1 hour technical interviews, including with VP of engineering.
    Fast turn around, received offer within a few days of interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Factual (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

First had a Skype session with one of the software engineers. Passed that and went out to Los Angeles. There were 4 interviews and lunch. Everyone was pretty nice and they also gave a tour of the office. Know your basic data structures and algorithms
    Also know about big data
    Know how to design large systems

Interview Questions

• Find a cycle in a linked list
      Why do you like data
      Why do you want to work here   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Factual (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Fairly easy going. Asked two technical questions, based on recursion and machine learning techniques. Talked a lot about the resume and roles played in different teams. They also had brought in an ex-intern, said he's just to watch and answer whatever questions I had. It was a 45 minute interview, with around 15-20 mins on resume and 25 minutes on questions.

Interview Questions

• Find the longest time a process will take to run given different inter process dependencies.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Factual in November 2017.

Interview

Had two phone interviews, both technical. The first interviewer was nice and we spent time defining some APIs. However, the second interviewer seemed uninterested about what I had to say, and was not engaged whatsoever. We spent some time on a coding question, and he remained quiet the entire time, even when I was stuck. By far, the worst and most awkward phone screen I've experienced.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Factual in October 2016.

Interview

I had a terrible experience- not with the interview itself, but with getting responses from the company and trying to actually get the interview itself.

I talked to Factual recruiters at my university career fair, and gave them my resume. I received an email within the next week, and I ended up scheduling an interview with them. When the interview date arrived, the interviewer didn't call me, and the recruiter didn't bother emailing me.

I sent the recruiter an email telling them what had happened, and the recruiter took almost a week to respond, answering with a vague excuse. She asked me if I was available for another interview, and when I told her my availabilities, I just got radio silence from her again.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Factual (Champaign, IL) in September 2016.

Interview

The interviewer seemed a little tired even though I was his first interview, but I was brought into the room and asked a few questions about my resume before proceeding onto the technical questions.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Factual in June 2016.

Interview

After submitting resume, I had a brief talk with a recruiter about my backgrounds.
    Then, I had a programming assignment to create a word puzzle problem in any language in about one week.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Factual (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

I had the initial phone screening and got invitation to go on site. The onsite interview composes for 4 technical interviews, and then I also got to have lunch with some engineers. The interviews were horrible organized; some executive was supposed to interview me for my first interview but did not show up and some engineer got pulled in the last minute. My second interviewer was swapped with the fourth interviewer - very unorganized.

Interview Questions

• algorithm questions, text processing, and data structures.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Factual (New York, NY) in September 2017.

Interview

I had a phone screen with the recruiter followed by two phone screens and then the final onsite. I would say that up until and including the first interview i had as part of the onsite was very pleasant. As for the interview process, I think its important to keep a sense of professionalism with regards to a candidate's answer with regards to technical questions. After being unable to answer a question with two interviewers, they tried to abruptly end the interview. Not that one should get their hopes up obviously if they can't answer a question accurately, however it really did make them come off as arrogant. A great example is when one of the interviewers I had expressed his frustration with me not knowing about regex even though I had a web crawling project on my resume. Although regex is an approach, you can also check to see if a specific string is a substring of a larger string. I would've hoped that considering Factual uses a plethora of technologies, that they would realize there are alternative approaches and not just give me the cold shoulder since I didn't know about their approach. Because of this, I decided to drop the ball on the rest of my interviews. One of them said good luck on the job search and finding a fit. From what I could tell about the company during my onsite, expect nothing out of the ordinary from any startup: snacks/drinks, catered meals, not many red tapes to go through, and really just a lot of freedom. As for the questions they asked, without giving anything away, expect something straight from your college level coding textbook, a leetcode medium/hard level question, and two design questions. The design questions were definitely more appropriate for mid/senior level folks. Thus, for anyone applying for a entry level role, I do wish you luck if you are not comfortable in all parts of the stack. Considering not everyone out there is completely full-stack, I guess I do see why there were so many people who got declined an offer on glassdoor and why Factual is the size it is, despite it being almost a decade. As technical interviews don't always show a person's aptitude for success in a company ( for startups, from personal experience, I believe it's really about how much of a self-starter you are), I think Factual should ask more appropriate questions for entry level roles ( most companies do ask OOP design questions). Additionally, it would've been great if more people had asked me about my resume instead of rushing into the technical questions. Lastly, I'd say that really would've appreciated an email instead of a phone call, especially since they had asked for my availability the following week to recap what happened about my status. Taking the time to see what a candidate's schedule is like despite knowing immediately about the feedback from the interviewers is definitely a bad move on their part. I read below that someone from Factual thought it was better to have a phone call than an abrupt email. If that's the case, then why don't most companies do this...? At the end of the day, for anybody else reading this, do remember that companies want more people and aren't deliberately trying to make people fail. It is a learning process, and considering that Factual has been around for almost a decade, I'd imagine their engineering team will stay around the same for a while/into the future whilst growing their sales team. I had heard that engineering is around 40% whilst everyone else being 60%. I don't doubt the possibility that engineering would hit 10% in the future. I do wish them luck in hiring and look forward to seeing what most people say about interviewing with Factual in the future ( I'd imagine I won't be too surprised ).

Interview Questions

• something straight from your college level programming textbook, leetcode medium/hard, two odd design questions which are more appropriate for a mid/senior level engineer   Answer Question