Fusion-io Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Fusion-io Interview Questions

Interviews at Fusion-io

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Fusion-io (San Jose, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

Contacted by recruiter , setup Phone call with HR to discuss the position. Next had 2 telephonic Interviews, one with Hiring Manager which went well and then with Senior Engineer. Second Telephonic round was cancelled thrice, once the interviewer forgot, next time HR sent out the wrong time and the third time no one called. Never heard back after that, thoroughly unprofessional HR and staff.

Interview Questions

• Most questions were from OS and Compilers. Function pointers,locking mechanisms, threading concepts, spin locks, mutex locks and semaphores.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Fusion-io (Salt Lake City, UT) in October 2012.

Interview

Very professional HR and Extremely Unprofessional Technical Team.

They showed up at the career fair and after handing out my resume I was interviewed at the career booth itself for half an hour. 2 hours later I was at their office for a 2nd round. Then one week later I was called back for 4 more rounds. Each round was supposed to be with 2 members from each team. In the 1st round only one guy showed up. Apparently the 2nd guy was too busy with work. My 2nd round was coding round on a video conference call, without any online shared workspace to showcase my idea/code. It was a complete disaster as I kept making gestures in thin air trying to explain my idea. My 3rd round was even worse as nobody showed up for more than half an hour. After contacting the HR it was found that the interviewer was on vacation. So they hurried some other guy who had no idea who I was and never even seen my resume. He was cordial but wasn't prepared for an interview. The 4 round lasted only 15 mins (each was supposed to be 45 mins) as we ran out of time.

Either way, I still gave them the benefit of the doubt as this type of behavior is unheard of and maybe it was one of those days at the company. I was told they would get back to me in a couple of days. It has been over 2 weeks. I have sent a couple of followup emails but haven't received any kind of response from anyone. I am assuming I am rejected but communicating that rejection by not responding to emails or not calling at all is just wroong on so many levels.

Senior Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Fusion-io (Salt Lake City, UT) in October 2010.

Interview

I saw a posting on a local Unix users mailing list and sent my contact info to the poster. I was quickly contacted by an HR staffer who put me in touch with the hiring manager. We had a brief lunch meeting at a local restaurant (the hiring manager, the HR staffer, and I). This was followed by a half-day interview cycle with four engineers and the VP in charge of the group. An offer was extended within two weeks of the initial contact.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle extraction of statistical data from the output of a large opaque system?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate compensation and a mechanism to handle health care coverage during the interim period between my previous employer's plan and the delayed start of the new employer's plan coverage. In general, the company seemed quite able to meet my requests.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Fusion-io (Salt Lake City, UT) in May 2012.

Interview

Phone interview with the VP of engineering and then was flown out to talk with various people in the company. I spoke with the key hardware and software guys who were just interested in making sure I was competent, they asked basic programming questions, nothing too crazy. Mostly the interviewers wanted to make sure I would fit in the company and was relatively self directed.

Interview Questions

• There weren't any hard questions, it was mostly a get to know you interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation

It took a little while for the recruiter to get information back to me because it was near Memorial day, and the negotiation took a little while because it has to go through senior management due to how small the company is. That being said they offered me more than I asked for so there wasn't a whole lot of negotiation, but it required CEO sign-off so it was just more time consuming than other companies.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cottonwood Heights, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Fusion-io (Cottonwood Heights, UT) in July 2013.

Interview

They began with a lengthy coding task at home (create a machine code assembler for a legacy piece of hardware). It took many hours (I wasn't sure how fancy to make it, since the instructions said what it had to accomplish, but gave no indication beyond that of what they were really looking for).

Since they were happy with what I coded, I was asked to do interviews on-site (nothing was done by phone). It was five or six half-hour interviews in a row. In each case, the interviewer had an unrealistically long list of questions assigned by the company. Despite the fact that I haven't coded C/C++ in many years (and told them so), half of the questions I was asked were specific to C++ (I didn't have a clue on most of those questions, which were specific to new techniques that didn't even exist when I last coded in C++). The interviews were very uneven. The C++ portions were definitely a waste of their time and mine.

More surprisingly, even the Java questions were strange. Their use of Java is unusual and experimental, and they admitted it is likely to be refactored to something more normal in the future.

Since more than a month later I never heard anything back from them, I'm assuming they aren't interested (but it was such a weird interview that I probably wouldn't have accepted an offer anyway).

Interview Questions

• I don't even remember the name of the C++ technique I was asked about (I had never heard of it before).   Answer Question

Senior Software Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Fusion-io (Louisville, CO).

Interview

Very extensive, grueling interview process. Phone interviews with recruiter and hiring manager. Technical phone interview with senior test engineers. FULL DAY of on-site interviews with management, senior test and automation engineers, principal developers, program management, the director of test engineering - felt like entire office. Several of the test engineers I had already had interviews with on the phone. The principal developers seemed disinterested and at times condescending. The local recruiter was out of sync with the primary recruiter from the Salt Lake office on topics like.. SALARY.

Its worth noting, the Next-Gen folks are a tight knit group that have worked together at other companies over a number of years and joined Fusion-io through acquisition. I sensed some differences and tensions at times between the different groups, which could be one reason the interview process was stopped without an offer after such an exhaustive process. Ultimately, I am happy the way everything turned out, as I have ended up better off elsewhere.

Summer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Fusion-io (Salt Lake City, UT) in March 2014.

Interview

I first turned in my resume at the career fair on campus. I received an email a week later that the company was interested. From there I had several phone interviews followed by an in person interview at the company. I was asked to several technical questions throughout the process so they could get an understanding of my technical level.

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Fusion-io (New York, NY) in August 2010.

Interview

I interviewed four times via phone with various HR and Sales Managers.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They made me a single offer, and told me there was no room for negotiation. I thought it was fair, and accepted.

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Fusion-io in June 2013.

Interview

Found the opportunity on the DICE job board.
    Applied on-line.
    Found LinkedIn 1st degree contact who facilitated an introduction to the hiring manager.
    HR screening interview.
    Hiring manager interview.
    All went well from my perspective.

Verification Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Fusion-io (Salt Lake City, UT) in September 2009.

Interview

Technical phone screen, then on-site interviews with 4 or 5 team members and manager. Asked a variety of questions about UVM, SystemVerilog, verification planning, debugging, past projects, etc. People were nice and I could tell they were smart and would be fun to work with.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They were fairly tough on negotiations. Salary offer was good and I got a little more out of them. Relocation benefits were a little less than stellar. Would not negotiate on stock at all, but it was cool they even offered any (not many places doing that anymore, seems like).